Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 19:44   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

look what my 5 year old nephew has done to the back of passenger side front seat . Last week, we went to have dinner together and my nephew was sitting at the back along with my sister. He had this small wood sticks umbrella, that you get with drinks at bars etc in his hand and this is what he did to the seat.

I saw it this afternoon while keeping stuff on rear seat and I was like . First, I thought it may be that some acid or something burnt the seat. On closer look I found that there were no burn marks on the leather. Then I saw the broken pieces of umbrella thing on the floor mat and I knew how it happened.

For not I have applied fevi quick on the holes, closed the gap and made them hard. They wont get torn more but it looks very ugly. Any suggestions what can be done about this? What about taking a similar piece of genuine leather and applying it there. OR taking a similar colour marker and coloring the white marks. Changing the complete piece will require taking off the entire cover and putting it right, which will require a lot of time, effort and of course Money. Also is it worth visiting a stanley dealer closeby?

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_1373.jpg

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_1376.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@gc: Why do you have to go to A.S.S. for car detailing? I am sure they outsource it somewhere. Don't you have a good detailing shop somewhere around? They will charge less and do a better job.
Painting is a different aspect though.
Sure, I will look for 3M dealers outside. Just want to take a quote from Asian Motors. They outsource detailing jobs to 3M people. I have seen their work on various cars and it was commendable.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th May 2012 at 19:51.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:03   #602
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Kids will be kids and I know how you feel about this. My son is now 4 years old and we bought this car just after he was born. He managed to drop all kinds of things on the leather seats and it really was difficult trying to keep the car clean.

Now days he does not drop things on the seat and am very careful as to what he plays with in the car. Anyway he still manages to put his dirty shoes on the seats once in a way, but nothing as bad as what your pics show...

I cant think of anyway to fix that other than to take it to stanley and get it repaired/replaced.
Old 18th May 2012, 14:34   #603
Senior - BHPian

@gc: I have similar condition leather on some of the seats - it is mostly due to wear and tear, in my case I believe. After all, the leather is in its sixth year.
The previous owner did a commendable job in maintaining the stanley leather (every 6 months conditioning).
Though I also use a conditioner, I think my open parking in sun has accelerated the pace of leather cracking up.

My driver seat has a lot of torn areas.
Some parts of other seats are also slightly torn, but not very noticeable.

However since my kid is still 3, I don't want to invest in new leather seats (Rs. 40K) till he grows up. Hopefully that will take another 3-5 years.

In case you get estimates for replacing just one seat cover, then do share since I am also interested to know the pricing.

The beauty about leather seats:
1. Very smooth surface
2. No sticking/ sweating even for longer drives.
3. Very minimal static electricity generated.
4. Easy cleaning - does not stain very easily.
5. Premium feel (as per my friend who commented on the seats when he saw it for the first time).
Old 18th May 2012, 16:56   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@gc: I have similar condition leather on some of the seats - it is mostly due to wear and tear, in my case I believe. After all, the leather is in its sixth year.
The previous owner did a commendable job in maintaining the stanley leather (every 6 months conditioning).
Leather only gets better with age if you take care of it. In my car, there is one crack on driver seat side support. I believe the drivers of previous owner used to sit side ways when the car was parked with door open, which resulted in the crack. Ever since I bought the car, 3 years and 65k kms, the leather is in same condition. In fact, even if I condition the leather today, it will look brand new.

I asked one Autofoam dealer and one Stanley dealer today on the phone about the cost and they both quoted 6-7k with genuine leather, for the left side piece, 4 inch by 20 inch or so. Autofoam dealer said that it will be difficult to stitch art leather with genuine. It looked more like an excuse. Still I will take quote from couple of dealers and get the left side piece changed. The center one only has 2 small holes, which I can live with.

Also, its not recommended to condition the leather every six months, the chemicals only reduce the life of the leather. Once in couple of years is good. Of course, I am not expert to comment on it but thats what I believe.

Also, thanks to ACE_F355 and my friend for suggesting me to go for art leather piece, as genuine is very expensice, especially when it comes to replacing a small piece.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th May 2012 at 17:03.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:21   #605
Senior - BHPian

Back from the Summer Camp.
Lot of vehicles at the A.S.S. It was like a 'mela'.
Took around 1.5 hours in total.
Good part: They cleaned the condenser when I said I have been having insufficient cooling.
Bad part: Still don't see much difference but will have to drive more.
Worst part: Results of their checkup:
Power steering Hose leakage. Part cost: 14555, labour 600
Rear Right Shocker: Part cost: 13280, labour: 600
RR side oil leakage: Part cost: 2200, labour: 1850
Oil Power steering: 452
These are all estimated costs.
Best part: Got a gift: Tiffin box and a keychain (Bardahl).
I don't know how all these issues have come up now. It has been six months and 3000 KM since the last service.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 14:03   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good part: They cleaned the condenser when I said I have been having insufficient cooling.
Get the cooling coil cleaned. We just serviced AC of my cousin's 13 year old lancer and it is chilling like anything.

Quote:
Worst part: Results of their checkup:
Power steering Hose leakage. Part cost: 14555, labour 600
Damn thats gone up from 8.5k earlier. Most cedias do have this issue, but in most cases there is only a minute seepage but no loss of power steering oil. It can be easily repaired as the seepage is from the end.

Quote:
Rear Right Shocker: Part cost: 13280, labour: 600
You sure about this, I enquired about the shocks and they costed under 4k each from ASC in January. How can the prices go up to 13k. In btw, we bought 2 shocks from Palika Bhawan for Rs.3.5k for my cousin's cedia. They were genuine KYB shocks but I did suspect that they were either refilled or were from second's lot. But they were in perfect running condition. So, got them installed and the car is doing fine for last 3k kms/4 months.

Quote:
RR side oil leakage: Part cost: 2200, labour: 1850
Whats that?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th May 2012 at 14:06.
Old 19th May 2012, 14:16   #607
BHPian

Two quick questions, while idling if you rotate your steering does the rpm increases by 100-200 rpm and again comes back. Also when the ac is off and you turn on the fan does the flow of air a little on warmer side ad compared to cabin air temperature?
Old 19th May 2012, 14:31   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Get the cooling coil cleaned. We just serviced AC of my cousin's 13 year old lancer and it is chilling like anything.
I had asked the chief about core cleaning. He said it would cost Rs. 3500. According to him, the airflow was less initially.
He pointed to some thing below the dashboard where the flow direction was not proper. He claimed to have set it properly now. So, the air flow at blower speed 3 is the same as the earlier flow at blower speed 4.
After the change, the temperature was around 8 deg. C at the vents.
He asked me to test for sometime and then decide if I need core cleaning.

Quote:
Damn thats gone up from 8.5k earlier. Most cedias do have this issue, but in most cases there is only a minute seepage but no loss of power steering oil. It can be easily repaired as the seepage is from the end.
I asked one engineer about repair. He said that is not possible, though I would like to get this checked somewhere else for a second opinion.

Quote:
You sure about this, I enquired about the shocks and they costed under 4k each from ASC in January. How can the prices go up to 13k. In btw, we bought 2 shocks from Palika Bhawan for Rs.3.5k for my cousin's cedia. They were genuine KYB shocks but I did suspect that they were either refilled or were from second's lot. But they were in perfect running condition. So, got them installed and the car is doing fine for last 3k kms/4 months.
That is the price that they have quoted. BTW: All spares are now 10% more expensive. I think I will have to trouble you to courier stuff from Delhi now.

Quote:
Whats that?
There is gear oil (seal) leakage. Again, I think I will have to get a second opinion on this.

I will get 5% discount on the next service bill.

Last edited by S_U_N : 19th May 2012 at 14:33.
Old 20th May 2012, 03:47   #609
BHPian

Quote:
“Some People Drive just to get to their Destinations.... Others Drive MITSUBISHI!!!”
Just loved the way you started this thread. Mitsubishi Cedia in my mind has to be one of the best cars to ever hit Indian roads. I just hope mitsubishi would look at India as a more serious market.

BTW I am looking for a Cedia in good condition. I just hope i find one.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 13:40   #610
Senior - BHPian

Took some time out to get some under body shots.
I was looking for the leakage on the RIGHT rear shocker. I could not find any leakage.
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130623.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130624.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130625.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130631.jpg

The LEFT side shocker just for comparison.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130633.jpg
On the left side, I see some bush is cracked. Is that normal?
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130642.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130649.jpg

Now, for the power steering hose leakage.
I am not sure, but looks like there is some leakage.
First three images are from the bonnet. There are two hoses/ pipes and there is some change of colour towards the end.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20120520_110944.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20120520_110934.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-img_20120520_110912.jpg
The next two are from under body.
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130661.jpg
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130665.jpg

Also, I was looking for some gear oil leakage. The bolt on the right side top seems to be wet. However the photograph seems to enhance the wetness somehow. It looks like there was some lubricant put on it which has now dried off partially.

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130656.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-p1130632.jpg  

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th May 2012 at 13:45.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:57   #611
BHPian

hi, i guess there's no better place than this to get advice on Cedias
I'm looking at a 2007 Cedia that's available for less than 3 lakh here, it's done around 50k and seems to be in very good condition visually. I'm wondering if it makes sense to pick it up. I dunno what really to check for to really make sure if it's kosher, could there be any big gremlins hiding in there that could set me back by some big bucks later?
I truly love the driving experience of the Lancers and Cedia, but can't afford to get stuck with a lemon as the car will be my daily drive. My other option is to get my current '99 model lancer completely refurbished.
Advice?
Old 21st May 2012, 22:08   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Two quick questions, while idling if you rotate your steering does the rpm increases by 100-200 rpm and again comes back.
Hydraulic steering, engine powers the steering pump, rpm will increase when you move the steering on idle, very normal.

Quote:
Also when the ac is off and you turn on the fan does the flow of air a little on warmer side ad compared to cabin air temperature?
Very normal again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Just loved the way you started this thread. Mitsubishi Cedia in my mind has to be one of the best cars to ever hit Indian roads. I just hope mitsubishi would look at India as a more serious market.
BTW I am looking for a Cedia in good condition. I just hope i find one.
Thanks . Where do you put up? I am sure you can find a good cedia within 3-3.5 lac rupees.

Quote:
I was looking for the leakage on the RIGHT rear shocker. I could not find any leakage.
Looks fine to me.

In btw: the caliper bracket is not available, asked for front one.

Quote:
On the left side, I see some bush is cracked. Is that normal?
Thats not a crack, thats how they go on the rod.

Quote:
Now, for the power steering hose leakage.
I am not sure, but looks like there is some leakage.
If you are losing power steering oil, better get it fixed. If the seepage is minimal and oil loss is not more than 100-200 gms a month, leave it.

Quote:
First three images are from the bonnet. There are two hoses/ pipes and there is some change of colour towards the end.
The first one is definitely seepage, the second one needs inspection. Could be possible that the seepage from the first pipe has made the nearby parts look black and oily.

Quote:
Also, I was looking for some gear oil leakage. The bolt on the right side top seems to be wet. However the photograph seems to enhance the wetness somehow. It looks like there was some lubricant put on it which has now dried off partially.
Looks like a crank seal, got it replaced in my cousin's cedia during clutch replacement. If you are paying that labour, better get the clutch checked as well and get the clutch replaced under same labour, if at all the clutch life is only within 5-7k kms (your annual run).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
I'm looking at a 2007 Cedia that's available for less than 3 lakh here, it's done around 50k and seems to be in very good condition visually. I'm wondering if it makes sense to pick it up. I dunno what really to check for to really make sure if it's kosher, could there be any big gremlins hiding in there that could set me back by some big bucks later?

I truly love the driving experience of the Lancers and Cedia, but can't afford to get stuck with a lemon as the car will be my daily drive. My other option is to get my current '99 model lancer completely refurbished.
Advice?
Although, getting lancer back in shape isnt a bad idea, you will require continuous time, effort and money to keep the car in top shape as your daily drive. My cousin has a 99 lancer and within this year, we have already spent 45k on it for respray, firewall replacement, windscreen screen replacement, AC service, Condenser fan replacement, timing seals and timing belt, service and brake pads and brake shoes. We are still to shell another 20k for tire replacement and 3-4k on suspension arms. So net net, we will spend 70k in 6 months on a car that costs 80k. Of course, there are sentimental values attached to the car and thats the reason my cousin doesnt want to part from it. However, they got a cedia 2 and a half years back and thats being used as a first car.

Please go through the issues I posted in the long term ownership report on the below page. These are the issues you can face in near future and will cost you some good money.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2349077

Also go through the check list of team bhp for used car selection.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-india-15.html

Get the car properly check from ASC, check the service history and also check with the insurance. You will do fine.

Probably, you and prashant can look for cedia together and share leads. There are plenty available in market these days.

And the detailed list of damage so far, 87.5k kms on the clock

It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 189,000 km done! Edit: Sold!-cedia.jpg

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 21st May 2012 at 22:14.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 23:00   #613
Senior - BHPian

I paid 8k odd for the power steering hose. Surprised its so much more now. Seems like a common issue with all cedias. The thing to remember is that oil leakage from the hose is a safety hazard. This hose is right on top of the exhaust system and if the oil falls on the exhaust, there's definitely a chance of a fire hazard.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 23:55   #614
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks . Where do you put up? I am sure you can find a good cedia within 3-3.5 lac rupees.
i stay in delhi.

I thought the cost of a used Cedia would now be nearly 2-3 lacs depending on condition. Especially since a brand new one now starts at 7.3lacs
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:20   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks fine to me.

In btw: the caliper bracket is not available, asked for front one.
Ok. I am going to visit Poona Motors this week. They said, caliper brackets cannot go wrong. It will be pin issue as per them. They will source pins (or make them as I heard on phone) and check. The only problem is I might have to leave the car with them for a day. So, let me visit them and see what they say.

Quote:

Thats not a crack, thats how they go on the rod.
Ok. Good to know that.

Quote:
If you are losing power steering oil, better get it fixed. If the seepage is minimal and oil loss is not more than 100-200 gms a month, leave it.
At the moment the power steering reservoir is above MAX level (perhaps they topped up all the fluids during the summer camp on Saturday?)
I will check the leakage source by moving steering left and right a few times while idling the car and opening the bonnet. It should be possible to see where the leak is from as the pressure builds up when we keep steering left and right for 2-3 minutes.

Now, there are supposed to be two parts for the power steering hose: a high pressure and low pressure hose.
Is it different in a Cedia? If yes, is it not possible that I might have to replace only one?

Quote:

The first one is definitely seepage, the second one needs inspection. Could be possible that the seepage from the first pipe has made the nearby parts look black and oily.
You mentioned that it is possible to repair if seepage is from end. Do you see that as the case from the photos?
Quote:

Looks like a crank seal, got it replaced in my cousin's cedia during clutch replacement. If you are paying that labour, better get the clutch checked as well and get the clutch replaced under same labour, if at all the clutch life is only within 5-7k kms (your annual run).
Part cost: 2200, labour: 1850. All I was told is that there was gear oil seal leakage.

Is this part available in outside market?

I don't face any issues with the clutch. Most driving happens once a month in city and once in three months (say around 1000-1500 KM highway drive). So, I recon the clutch should not give up soon. But you never know. I will get this checked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I paid 8k odd for the power steering hose. Surprised its so much more now. Seems like a common issue with all cedias. The thing to remember is that oil leakage from the hose is a safety hazard. This hose is right on top of the exhaust system and if the oil falls on the exhaust, there's definitely a chance of a fire hazard.
Thanks. When did you change the hose? The parts become expensive every year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks