Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 09:42   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
With regards to parking sensor, Sundaram motor says that GM has asked to stop adding parking sensors as accessories in LT model. Looks like its a recent development due to some issues around the electricals. The guys at Sundaram motors say that warranty will be an issue if I do it outside. How to check the authenticity of this?
What nonsense! This seems to be a ploy to get customers to upgrade to the higher-margin LTZ.

There will definitely be an issue with warranty if you get it done outside, but a good shop will do a good job.

It depends on the workmanship. In general, it's best to keep cars as stock as possible to enjoy a long, healthy life. Some cars take to surgery and mods better than others.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th January 2011, 10:14   #482
BANNED

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Sorry if this sounds like a brickbat but I feel that the Cruze could have had better FE. For example, the Laura, with its DSG box is, from what I have heard, at least 25% better than the the Cruze with its manual box.

Of course, the power figures too are pretty similar for both. 150/140 BHP respectively.

Your views please mobike008.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:42   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Sorry if this sounds like a brickbat but I feel that the Cruze could have had better FE.
I dont consider it as a brickbat. It's nice to know the downsides of your own car and live with it with a positive frame of mind.

Agree with you, the FE could have been marginally better. But, on second thoughts my Accent Viva CRDi with a pete box used to give me an FE of 13.5kmpl to 14kmpl in city compared to Cruze's consistent 11.25kmpl

We are comparing a 98bhp car to 150bhp car. Isn't FE relative to power output in most cases? Laura's FE could be marginally better maybe 13kmpl. 2kmpl is not much of a difference at this price-point

Besides, when such power is at stake, it would be a bit daft to expect over the top FE figures

Quote:
For example, the Laura, with its DSG box is, from what I have heard, at least 25% better than the the Cruze with its manual box.
I didnt quite understand your comparison of FE of both cars with the gearboxes that they have on them. Firstly, your comparing the DSG box with a manual box of Cruze? Why not with Cruze AT? Care to explain?

Quote:
Of course, the power figures too are pretty similar for both. 150/140 BHP respectively.Your views please mobike008.
Having said that, I have drive the older version of Laura ( PD version which pumps out 110PS) and was not impressed with its power output and never drove the new Laura TDI with DSG box but, heard its simply brilliant and cannot be compared with any other car in its segment. This is where the brilliance ends.

Cruze throws out an output of 150PS at 4000RPM ( 4500RPM is redline) and till date I have not crossed 3000RPM and have done some phenomenal speeds on expressway as you may have noticed from the distance coverages in my travelogue. Secondly, it has 327NM of torque which peaks at 2600RPM.

Both these aspects make a lot of difference in performance compared to simple 140PS vs 150PS comparison. And, i am not aware of torque figures of Laura TDI or at which RPM it peaks.

Before buying the Cruze, I was ( still I'am) a big fan of Laura and use to ogle it all times and was for a long period my "ONLY" favorite and a strong contender for my next car. I liked the Pump Duse version shape and built quality over the new version. Laura's interiors is it's key strength, it oozes quality and makes you feel rich ( even if your not..lol). If you take that out of the equation, there are very few aspects in a Laura that can be compared with Cruze especially when you compare the money you pay for both cars. Laura top-end is easily 2.5 lakhs over Cruze LTZ and there is no comparison of the features that come preloaded in LTZ

In short, Cruze is touted and is apt to be referred as a performance car whereas, Laura has an excellent executive and rich feeling attributted to it.

Buyers choose either of the two depending on their personal preference and there was not even an iota of doubt in my mind regarding what was my preference

Hope i was able to clarify your query to some extent.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th January 2011 at 09:19.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:02   #484
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Cruze's consistent 11.25kmpl

Laura's FE could be marginally better maybe 13kmpl. 2kmpl is not much of a difference at this price-point
Anshuman has been getting between 13-15kmpl in moderate traffic conditions and 20+ on highways at speeds of around 100kmph.The Laura too makes 320NM of torque so in my opinion, there is not a big difference of the output figures of both.
Quote:
I didnt quite understand your comparison of FE of both cars with the gearboxes that they have on them. Firstly, your comparing the DSG box with a manual box of Cruze? Why not with Cruze AT? Care to explain?
What I wanted to emphasise was, despite the fact about autoboxes being thirstier compared to a manual box, the Laura DSG betters the Cruze in FE.

And lastly, please do not regard this as my war on the Cruze. I too am comparing both the cars with the intention of learning them.

I happen to be a BIG stickler for FE.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:28   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anshuman has been getting between 13-15kmpl in moderate traffic conditions and 20+ on highways at speeds of around 100kmph.The Laura too makes 320NM of torque so in my opinion, there is not a big difference of the output figures of both.
Those figures in Delhi are equivalent to Hyderabad traffic conditions. However, I am suprised to know the 20+kmpl figures on highway.

I am happy for Anshuman if he is getting those figures. Personally, I cannot drive at 100kmph on highways.

Quote:
What I wanted to emphasise was, despite the fact about autoboxes being thirstier compared to a manual box, the Laura DSG betters the Cruze in FE.
You have answered your own question. The brilliance of DSG box overshadows Cruze AT box. Hence, the difference in FE figures.

Lastly, I find 2kmpl difference not too bad as after all its diesel.

Consolation to some extent is when I think folks who won a Civic/Accord/Laura TSI/Skoda vRS/Fiesta 1.6/i10 AT and a few other other petrol cars pay much more for their fuel bills as all these cars FE is 10kmpl or less in city conditions.
Old 28th January 2011, 16:04   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Having said that, I have drive the older version of Laura ( PDI which pumps out 110PS) and was not impressed with its power output and never drove the new Laura TDI with DSG box but, heard its simply brilliant and cannot be compared with any other car in its segment. This is where the brilliance ends.

Cruze throws out an output of 150PS at 4000RPM ( 4500RPM is redline) and till date I have not crossed 3000RPM and have done some phenomenal speeds on expressway as you may have noticed from the distance coverages in my travelogue. Secondly, it has 327NM of torque which peaks at 2600RPM.

Both these aspects make a lot of difference in performance compared to simple 140PS vs 150PS comparison. And, i am not aware of torque figures of Laura TDI or at which RPM it peaks.

Before buying the Cruze, I was ( still I'am) a big fan of Laura and use to ogle it all times and was for a long period my "ONLY" favorite and a strong contender for my next car. I liked the PDI version shape and built quality over the new version. Laura's interiors is it's key strength, it oozes quality and makes you feel rich ( even if your not..lol). If you take that out of the equation, there are very few aspects in a Laura that can be compared with Cruze especially when you compare the money you pay for both cars. Laura top-end is easily 2.5 lakhs over Cruze LTZ and there is no comparison of the features that come preloaded in LTZ

In short, Cruze is touted and is apt to be referred as a performance car whereas, Laura has an excellent executive and rich feeling attributted to it.

Buyers choose either of the two depending on their personal preference and there was not even an iota of doubt in my mind regarding what was my preference

Hope i was able to clarify your query to some extent.
I am another new Cruze (AT) owner, and I would say the same. Laura is great and I admire it, but I went for Cruze because to get the features I wanted in Laura AT, I would have to pay a lot more and also be bothered about the costly spares and not-so-good after sales service of Skoda in my locality (compared to Chevy, as of now).

I would also second what you said -- "Before buying the Cruze, I was ( still I'am) a big fan of Laura and use to ogle it all times and was for a long period my "ONLY" favorite and a strong contender for my next car."

But no, not my next car, in case I view that as an upgrade. A next car needs to be a clear jump, and Laura is not a clear jump from Cruze.
Old 28th January 2011, 19:11   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_majumdar View Post
But no, not my next car, in case I view that as an upgrade. A next car needs to be a clear jump, and Laura is not a clear jump from Cruze.
You completely misunderstood me. My "next car' as in my upgrade from my previous Accent Viva CRDi

Anyways, an upgrade from a Cruze is either a Beemer or an Audi. I would rather downgrade but, no upgrade in between
Old 29th January 2011, 07:43   #488
BHPian

I am and was a Laura fan too and the reason I came out of it was due to the Service levels. Thats another story.

Now just a comparison on the spend on fuel.

Lets say I am doing 2000 kms a month and the diesel price is Rs 43.

For cruze at 13 km per litre, I will be using 154 litres of diesel spending Rs 6622 in total.
For Laura at 17 km per litre, I will be using 117 litres of diesel spending Rs 5074.

In a month I save 1548.

With a price difference of 2.5 lakhs, it would take me 161 months to get the benefit, thats approximately 13 years. This does not include the interest that I would get if I had deposited that 2.5 lakhs in as simple as fixed deposit.

This is the reason the hype about a few kms difference in mileage does not put a good a case for higher buying costs, for me.

Of course there are other benefits like environment, eco systems etc. But 2.5 lakhs towards these at my stage, I am not there yet.
Old 29th January 2011, 13:34   #489
BHPian

I had a great time on a long drive recently in my Cruze, I thank Team BHP and this thread by mobike008 again. What if I had not chosen Cruze?

I am happy with mileage of 11 -12 in city and 13 - 15 on highway. After my recent highway trip, concluded that mileage depends on the way we drive. so tried this, next 3 days I drove to office with light foot and normal speeds(similar to my previous car - palio), to my surprise the FE indicator showed 13.5 for city driving. But by patience ran out .. Cruze has to be driven like cruze and we have not bought it for its FE.

Another incident to mention is that after I took delivery the next day my wife gets a call at 10:30 PM from another block in our apartment "please tell me which car you have bought, my son has liked it so much that he is pestering me to call you right now".
Old 5th February 2011, 23:49   #490
BANNED

Since this thread has quite a few "Cruzers" in it, I thought of asking this question:

Is the Cruze a comfortable 5 or 4 seater? Also, does it, like the Laura for example, have that hump on the floor in the rear?
Old 6th February 2011, 09:43   #491
BHPian

Cruze does have the hump on the floor. I my view, its comfortable for 4 adults, ok for 4 adults and 1 children and difficult for 5 adults.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:27   #492
BHPian

The hump in Cruze is nowhere comparable to that of the Laura,the hump is very negligible though as I own the civic aswell , its definitely more than the civic.

Cruze has about similar legroom but a very well reclined seat unlike the laura which has a pretty upright seatback but where the Laura wins is in the department of headroom and material quality.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:10   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I had a great time on a long drive recently in my Cruze, I thank Team BHP and this thread by mobike008 again. What if I had not chosen Cruze?
Thanks. I am glad my ownership review has helped in your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Another incident to mention is that after I took delivery the next day my wife gets a call at 10:30 PM from another block in our apartment "please tell me which car you have bought, my son has liked it so much that he is pestering me to call you right now".
I am sure her son is the future Cruze owner. I get looks daily from many road users especially from bikers who turn their head to check the car out. Makes the you feel " moolah well spent"

Quote:
Is the Cruze a comfortable 5 or 4 seater? Also, does it, like the Laura for example, have that hump on the floor in the rear?
Cruze does not have a great rearspace to be honest. But, its not that bad too. If its 4 big sized adults, then this car would be comfortable. And, fine also for 5 small ( average indian sized) adults as well since the breadth of the car is quite large.

There is a hump at the center and it surely wont make it comfortable by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Cruze has about similar legroom but a very well reclined seat unlike the laura which has a pretty upright seatback but where the Laura wins is in the department of headroom and material quality.
+1. That's exactly my feeling. Cruze rearseats are very reclined and comfortable. But, very less headroom makes things little uncomfortable.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th February 2011 at 17:12.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:01   #494
Senior - BHPian

Why do we always have to compare?!

I own a Laura PD L&K (MT). I like the car and its features and have put it through its paces over some 55K km. It is my highway cruiser and it does the job well.

I have seen Cruzes and followed them when I can on the highway. I have seen the WA from close quarters. The car is good, no doubt about it.

GM & Skoda do things differently. There will always be differences in specs and features between cars. So a Cruz will not be an Accord or a Camry or a Laura or a 3 or a C and none of the others will be a Cruz. This is what gives us customers variety and a choice. As Mobike put it - it is a matter of choice. For me it was the FE and suspension + tuning set up that made me pick up the Laura as I like stiff suspensions and engines to pull as far up the revv range as possible.Oh yes, I forgot - I like stiff upright seats too!
Old 7th February 2011, 23:00   #495
BANNED

Re: Why do we always have to compare?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I own a Laura PD L&K (MT). I like the car and its features and have put it through its paces over some 55K km. It is my highway cruiser and it does the job well.
For me it was the FE and suspension + tuning set up that made me pick up the Laura as I like stiff suspensions and engines to pull as far up the revv range as possible.Oh yes, I forgot - I like stiff upright seats too!
Hey Ravveendrra,
Nice to see you on the forum after a long time. In fact, your trip to AP has been very inspiring for me and has always kept my passion alive for the Laura.

Since you are probably amongst the most senior Laura owners and users here, can you tell me if the Laura is a comfortable 5 well fed adult seater over long distances?
Also, going by what you have, with your Laura, can you tell me if it can go to say, 90% of the places where a 2wd SUV can go?

And lastly, what have been your ownership costs so far with it and your happiness factor as well?

Thank you for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks