Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 11:45   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Few tips from my end before you embark on a long trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. What is that i would need to stress to service advisors to check during the 2nd service? Touchwood, there is absolutely no issues ( including 0 rattles)
Get your oil changed.
Quote:
2. Should i get wheel balance and alignment done at this stage? If yes, what do Chevy guys usually charge for this service? Is it on par with outside folks?

3. What's the ideal air pressure for such a long trip? I am thinking 32psi of nitrogen in all tyres ( as recommended by manafacturer). Its been exactly 2 months since i last topped up the nitrogen and i can feel there could be a drop of 4-5psi
Wheel balancing and alignment is must before a long trip. For a long highspeed highway run, keep your tyre pressure about 1psi lower than recommended. This will keep the ride smooth.
Quote:
4. I have absolutely no experience of driving in heavy fog conditions. Any special tips that someone can provide?
Nothing much to do here except drive slow and with hazard and rear fog lamps on.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:21   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!

Ani, i am not sure why everyone from Hydeez team insists on changing oil at 1000kms or 5000kms when manafacturer themselves recommend at 15,000kms?

Taking an example of another cruze owner (Sameer) on forum who does lot of driving has changed it at 15,000kms and currently at 30,000kms and hasnt faced any issues.

Firstly, changing oil at this stage means an expense of roughly Rs.8000 which makes sense when its necessary but not at a good-to-have-done-stage

I am going to stick to company recommendation of oil change at 15,000kms

WA & B, i agree is a mandatory thing to be done at every 5000kms which will be done before embarking on this journey.

With regards to air pressure, I agree with you again. Will probably stick to 31psi but, I shouldnt be worried about bouncy ride as its going to be mostly on excellent roads with only "cruzing speeds"

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th December 2010 at 12:23.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:41   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. I have absolutely no experience of driving in heavy fog conditions. Any special tips that someone can provide?

Avi- one golden rule of fog driving- do not drive on high beam under any circumstances- white light reflects off fog and blinds you.

if the fog is very intense, a quick jugaad is to put some transparent yellow cellophane paper on the headlights- it is really effective- you can get this from any local stationery shop.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:45   #424
Team-BHP Support

Mobike, Yellow lens sunglasses are said to effective when driving in fog. But I don't have personal experience of the same.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:46   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Avi- one golden rule of fog driving- do not drive on high beam under any circumstances- white light reflects off fog and blinds you.

if the fog is very intense, a quick jugaad is to put some transparent yellow cellophane paper on the headlights- it is really effective- you can get this from any local stationery shop.
I was seeking such unknown information

Himanshu, your a life saver. Will ensure that I buy some of that transparent yellow cello paper and keep it handy.

Fog, here i come to fight you

@Imran, More than me WA needs yellow sunglasses as she is going to do more seeing than me for sure.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th December 2010 at 12:47. Reason: added info
Old 17th December 2010, 13:01   #426
Senior - BHPian

BTW, where are you headed to?
Old 17th December 2010, 13:25   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, where are you headed to?
I am heading to some lovely places that will be most enjoyable during winters.

Here are the details :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hyderabad.html

Btw, appreciate some info from you from Meerut which is the best place to visit for 2-3 days which is cold, beautiful and not too far away
Old 17th December 2010, 13:28   #428
Senior - BHPian

from Meerut you have the option of going to Mussoorie ( about 5 hrs away) ; Rishikesh (4 hrs) or take a detour to Hapur-Moradabad and head to Nainital (8 hrs)
Old 17th December 2010, 15:30   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
from Meerut you have the option of going to Mussoorie ( about 5 hrs away) ; Rishikesh (4 hrs) or take a detour to Hapur-Moradabad and head to Nainital (8 hrs)
That's exactly what i have in mind. Doon and Mussorie

Alright enough of offtopic. Will report back next wednesday after my 2nd service is completed.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:33   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mobike008, Well driving in fog is not very bad as it may appear to be, especially if you are going to be driving in a city, I grew up in Delhi and Gurgaon and fog is a regular phenomenon, What i have found advantageous is keep your lights in low beam, drive slow and keep your blinkers on.

Where are you off to, if i may ?

Best

ML.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:59   #431
BHPian

Avi when you are in delhi do let me know. Shall make sure that the two cruze meet and it would be nice to meet you on the personal note as well.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:22   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ani, i am not sure why everyone from Hydeez team insists on changing oil at 1000kms or 5000kms when manafacturer themselves recommend at 15,000kms?
It won't show signs at 50k but will show at 1L Kms. Believe me you need to get that oil with shavings out. Believe me 8K Vs Engine Health is a no brainer!
Old 17th December 2010, 20:35   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
It won't show signs at 50k but will show at 1L Kms. Believe me you need to get that oil with shavings out. Believe me 8K Vs Engine Health is a no brainer!
Although I am pro to what your suggesting. Lets suppose Avi changes at 15k. Then how does the damage show up only at 1Lac km rather than from the delayed change onwards?

Avi boss, it is recommended to change but not compulsory. On a lighter note, i was thinking maybe the shavings work like the high funda face washes we get nowadays, with a little grit in them. And we all know using this facewash works better than soft n smooth soap! . The paralleling is not OT is it ? lol

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 17th December 2010 at 20:40.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:59   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Where are you off to, if i may ?
Thanks for the tips ML. If you check out the link in post # 427 you will know where i am heading off too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Avi when you are in delhi do let me know. Shall make sure that the two cruze meet and it would be nice to meet you on the personal note as well.
Certainly Ashish. However, i have pretty tight schedule. Will reach Delhi on Jan 1st late afternoon and out by 2nd morning. On return will stay in Delhi for a day on either Jan 5th or 6th before heading back south.

Btw, will be staying at my in-laws in Old Rajinder Nagar close to Gangaram Hospital.

If you can drop me a PM with your number will call you when i am there and let you know if its possible to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Although I am pro to what your suggesting. Lets suppose Avi changes at 15k. Then how does the damage show up only at 1Lac km rather than from the delayed change onwards?
Exactly my thoughts how do you know the damage shows up at 1 Lakh kms for so sure? Sameer who owned a Skoda 1.9 TDI drove it till 1.40 L kms or by following company recommendation without a hitch

Would love to hear from Ani on his thoughts of damage showing up at that interval

Btw, i dont plan to keep the car till 1 Lakh kms. I beielve in eating the topping and leave the crust to owner after me...Hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
On a lighter note, i was thinking maybe the shavings work like the high funda face washes we get nowadays, with a little grit in them. And we all know using this facewash works better than soft n smooth soap! . The paralleling is not OT is it ? lol
+1. For washing face, I only use Himalaya facewash since 5+ or more years which as you mentioned has those little grits in them. It has neither made me any smarter nor made me lose whatever i was born with...basically kept things neutral..LOL

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th December 2010 at 21:00.
Old 19th December 2010, 00:30   #435
anb
BHPian

Quote:

2. Should i get wheel balance and alignment done at this stage? If yes, what do Chevy guys usually charge for this service? Is it on par with outside folks?
For second service , Chevrolet guys charged only for wheel alignment and balancing. Service cost was around 300 rupees.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks