Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2017, 09:44   #76
BHPian

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
I am using Philips Ultinon for over a year now, in my VW Vento.
The difference in lighting is quite staggering, the OE bulbs anyway are too weak.
I travel a lot in the night, so with Philips X Treme Vision fog light bulbs and these give out a good amount of throw, spread and reach.
The spread is patchy at places, maybe due to reflector design/ led placements?
I got my headlights aligned at a proper garage recently, and that too has made quite a difference in beam pattern.
I shall post pictures and videos soon of the bulbs in action, as of now just putting up these pictures from my Instagram.
Satya- quick one. Where did you buy these Philips lights? I checked here in chennai with the Philips lighting distributors and they said that they don't deal with these and I need to check in car accessories shop or online. Due to the duplicates freely available in market, I don't wanna get duped. Hence this query. Also what is the cost you purchased?
Old 10th June 2017, 10:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Satya- quick one. Where did you buy these Philips lights? I checked here in chennai with the Philips lighting distributors and they said that they don't deal with these and I need to check in car accessories shop or online. Due to the duplicates freely available in market, I don't wanna get duped. Hence this query. Also what is the cost you purchased?
I sourced them from my regular, trusted car accessories guy who I am buying since almost 15 years.
Infact, he was the one who called me and informed me about such a product being launched. It was a quick 10 minute job.
Cost me Rs. 11,000/- back then, the MRP was 13,000/-
The headlamps need to be adjusted after fitting these, a fairly simple job. (my car needed it)
Old 10th June 2017, 13:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Satya- quick one. Where did you buy these Philips lights?
They are available on Amazon.in (direct link here).
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 16:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

It's 9500 now on amazon. How good are they when it rains? And would osram nightbreaker lasers be sufficient?
Old 10th June 2017, 17:34   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Thanks Aeil for this. One other question is high have a halogen set up as stock. However while reading the reviews here , it's says leds fitted without projector is not effecient as the lights are scattered and will blind the opposite traffic. Is this true ? Please clarify.
Old 10th June 2017, 18:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aeil for this. One other question is high have a halogen set up as stock. However while reading the reviews here , it's says leds fitted without projector is not effecient as the lights are scattered and will blind the opposite traffic. Is this true ? Please clarify.
May be true with aftermarket / cheap chinese headlight led's.
I also agree that a projector will provide a more even spread.
But the fact is, that since a year, I have not faced any issues/ complaint regarding light scatter/ blinding beam.
Also, I feel that companies like Philips/ Osram/ similar OEM spend a lot of resources in developing an aftermarket product for OE replacement, and irregular scatter is something they would definitely not be okay with.
I regularly meet enthusiasts who I know since long, and Im sure they wouldve told me regarding headlight issues for other road users.
I did not want to install an aftermarket projector, hence stuck to these in the first place.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 18:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
May be true with aftermarket / cheap chinese headlight led's.
Thanks Satya. This is indeed a good information and a replacement to the existing useless stock HL in my SCross. I have more or less finalised on the XP Micro fog lamps but also wanted to change my existing HL bulbs. One more query- how is the warranty and how do we claim warranty in case of any issues? And thanks for your time and feedback
Old 10th June 2017, 18:23   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Echoing Satya above, I have used the LEDs to replace stock halogen bulbs in the stock reflector (non-HID) for a 1.3 S cross Zeta. I have not face any issues with blinding oncoming traffic (been using it only for a month or so).

The Ultinons have been designed to replace stock halogens and the beam pattern (based on my brief research) is pretty much the same as the stock halogens (reference link)
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 18:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Echoing Satya above, I have used the LEDs to replace stock halogen bulbs in the stock reflector (non-HID) for a 1.3 S cross Zeta. I have not face any issues with blinding oncoming traffic (been using it only for a month or so).
Thank you Aiel. Went through the reference link and this definitely seems to be step up from the existing stock output. I will check with local accessories folks on this or will order them online. Thanks!
Old 10th June 2017, 20:33   #85
Senior - BHPian

I think LEDs have caught on very fast. Adoption of HID projectors in affordable cars was still not happening and now LEDs have started appearing in lower segment cars very fast.

Also, given the low wattage, replacements over standard halogen lights will be easier. Will certainly look at replacing my headlamps with LEDs in near future with availability from makers like Philips. They seem to cost at the max half of a decent HID projection system.

Last edited by srishiva : 10th June 2017 at 20:38.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 21:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Satya. This is indeed a good information and a replacement to the existing useless stock HL in my SCross. I have more or less finalised on the XP Micro fog lamps but also wanted to change my existing HL bulbs. One more query- how is the warranty and how do we claim warranty in case of any issues? And thanks for your time and feedback

I also will get the XP Micro in the near future.
The Ultinon and XP Micro together will be insane on the road.
Ill be honest, I just blindly went in for the Philips Ultinons, I would probably trust anything from Philips or Osram.
But I have been a happy user as I have to drive a lot in the dark.
Regarding warranty, my accessory guy said he would honour the 3 year warranty, as it is directly covered by the Philips guys.
Old 10th June 2017, 22:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that the packaging on the amazon link mentions +150% light while the one on the Philips India link ( http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BW...-bulb/overview ) seems to indicate +200% lighting!

I wonder if there is any upgrade from the house of Philips for this product. What is even more interesting is that the part number is exactly the same!
Old 10th June 2017, 22:33   #88
BHPian

I prefer getting such mods done from a car shop rather than online because-
1) that 1% chance that it might not be original
2) free installation
3) physical place for warranty claim
4) after sales support/ rectifications
5) sometimes fitting may be complicated and may involve removal of grille/ bumper/ headlamp. Professional help matters here:
Old 10th June 2017, 23:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone guide me over here: I want to upgrade the lights on my bike (RC390) I was quoted around 8k for a LED upgrade and 9-10k for an HID upgrade. Surprised to learn that LED is cheaper but not sure about the difference in their performance. I have read in many places that LEDs are prone to heating up a lot another concern I had is that I want to retain the stock yellow light since it not only looks nicer to me but I feel it is more practical. With an HID upgrade I can simply drop in 3000k bulbs and voila but will there be some kind of alternative solution to the same with LEDs? Also the brands of the LED and HID kits that I was shown were very random. Anybody know what exactly I should be looking for or if there is a place I can go to in Bangalore which would guide me properly and install the right stuff?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th June 2017, 00:25   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Could anyone guide me over here: I want to upgrade the lights on my bike (RC390) I was quoted around 8k for a LED upgrade and 9-10k for an HID upgrade. Surprised to learn that LED is cheaper but not sure about the difference in their performance. I have read in many places that LEDs are prone to heating up a lot another concern I had is that I want to retain the stock yellow light since it not only looks nicer to me but I feel it is more practical. With an HID upgrade I can simply drop in 3000k bulbs and voila but will there be some kind of alternative solution to the same with LEDs? Also the brands of the LED and HID kits that I was shown were very random. Anybody know what exactly I should be looking for or if there is a place I can go to in Bangalore which would guide me properly and install the right stuff?

Thanks in advance

You can try Osram LEDs. A few friends have them on their bikes and they're quite happy with them.
LEDs dont heat up as much as any other lighting system.

Most Viewed