Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 01:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
You can try Osram LEDs. A few friends have them on their bikes and they're quite happy with them.
LEDs dont heat up as much as any other lighting system.
Thanks. Any idea how much the kit costed them? LEDs do actually heat up that's why they have those heat sinks behind the diodes. After even a couple of minutes of operation you won't even be able to touch the heat sinks and its recommended that you stow them away somewhere where it won't catch fire. The huge vertical line down the center splitting the new Duke 390s headlight is not a cosmetic thing it is actually there just to house the heat sinks for its LED lighting system.
Old 11th June 2017, 09:47   #92
BHPian

Quote:
I prefer getting such mods done from a car shop rather than online because-
1) that 1% chance that it might not be original
2) free installation
3) physical place for warranty claim
4) after sales support/ rectifications
5) sometimes fitting may be complicated and may involve removal of grille/ bumper/ headlamp. Professional help matters here:
Thanks Satya! Same were my concerns buying online. I will scout around to find whether this is available in the local accessories shop.
Old 11th June 2017, 19:31   #93
BANNED

@IshaanIon; Yes LEDs do heat up, but far less than the Halogens. At one time there used to be extensive fans in LED lights, now they are heat sinks only. So obviously the modern LED lights are far more efficient.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 20:57   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, I am interested in a set of LED bulbs for my car. The low beams are factory fitted HID. The assembly uses 9005/HB3 for the hi beam. The hi beams are currently servedd by 2 Philips Premium halogens 60W +30% bulbs which quite frankly do a good job on the highway.

I couldn't find Philips LED replacements but saw sundry Chinese makes that I am wary of buying for obvious reasons.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

I bought a single 'Leebo' brand 20W "Cree" fanless LED from Amazon, just to try out due to curiosity and also because I will be buying a bike soon and it will come with AHO so I might as well use an LED for longer life rather than changing the bulb often.

Sorry I did not take any pictures, I tested it out in my Beat which has a 100/90 Bosch setup. The fitting was easy, though for a permanent setup I would have to cut the dust cap. Heat was 'normal' levels and well distributed through the ribbon type heatsink.
Colour : Pure white, not yellowish, not bluish, a bit whiter than the Philips T10 4200K parking lights.
Illumination : Pretty good for a 20W bulb, Id say its in between normal 60/55 and Extreme vision which is quite good for 20W. The white colour did not cause any issues.
Glare : No more or less than the 100/90s, I was pretty surprised but this may vary with other car headlights
Beam Pattern : Again pretty decent. There wasnt really a hotspot but a hot area. Still pretty focused though. Since this one had a bigger SMD type LED, I have high hopes for the Philips type G5 leds from China which have Three Lumileds chips like the Ultinon bulbs. Thouse should give a better beam pattern.
Beam distance : Id say Light throw was about 10-15% shorter than Halogens. Not bad and could be adjusted by focusing the headlight housing.

All in all I would say they were pretty decent though for best results I would recommend the G5 Led bulbs with Philips chips from Aliexpress.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 21:02   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
OK, I am interested in a set of LED bulbs for my car. The low beams are factory fitted HID. The assembly uses 9005/HB3 for the hi beam. The hi beams are currently servedd by 2 Philips Premium halogens 60W +30% bulbs which quite frankly do a good job on the highway.

I couldn't find Philips LED replacements but saw sundry Chinese makes that I am wary of buying for obvious reasons.
Why do you want to change factory HIDs to LEDs? On the whole, HIDs provide more illumination and have better throw. Only very high end (and expensive) LEDs can surpass HIDs currently.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:37   #97
BANNED

I was also looking at the Philips Ultinons for my Brio. Given the paucity of space in the bonnet I abandoned the idea. It will be tough to squeeze in the power packs.
Old 14th June 2017, 19:21   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Why do you want to change factory HIDs to LEDs? On the whole, HIDs provide more illumination and have better throw. Only very high end (and expensive) LEDs can surpass HIDs currently.

+1 to that. Stick to HID's. They are better in every way. Unless you are getting LED projectors that have chips, don't even bother with LED's. HID's still rule.

I tried LED bulbs and they are utter rubbish, just pure white light, no focus, no throw, no intensity (blind in the rains/fog), no cutoff etc.

The only exception is the new Fortuner's bi-beam LED. Absolutely terrific, beats HID's in every way possible. I think they use Koito LED Projectors.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 07:23   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a Micra yesterday with bright-white LED's in the head-lamp housing. Beam Not focussed - was more like HID kits without projectors.
Old 18th June 2017, 16:59   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
My bad, my post wasn't sufficiently clear.

I do not want to change the lo-beam HIDs (I won't touch the factory fitted parts) only the hi-beam halogens. I haven't seen any Philips replacements and am a bit wary of using generic Chinese LEDs bulbs.

Holding off for now till I get replacements from an OEM grade supplier for e.g. Philips to enhance reliability.
Old 18th June 2017, 18:20   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Saw a Micra yesterday with bright-white LED's in the head-lamp housing. Beam Not focussed - was more like HID kits without projectors.
How did you figure out that those were LEDs and not HIDs in the headlamps?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 19:48   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few pics I clicked sometime back.
Photos are self explanatory.
Happy to answer all queries.
Hi Satya,
How are these bulbs performing in the rains?
General consensus is that white light is no good during the rainy season hence my question.

Regards,
SS
Old 18th June 2017, 20:11   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
How did you figure out that those were LEDs and not HIDs in the headlamps?
Car pulled over & switched off lights. Enough light outside to view the bulbs. But there was no way to check make etc, it could be chinese too ..

Last edited by condor : 18th June 2017 at 20:20.
Old 18th July 2017, 11:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Satya,
General consensus is that white light is no good during the rainy season hence my question.

Regards,
SS
He has mentioned about this. 6k wont be good in rain and he has suggest the regular ones over this. 4300K is ideal one.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Satya,

Regards,
SS
6000k is not ideally suited for rains.
However, this season (I observed this time), I am pleasantly surprised with the usable light in the rains. Facing no problems whatsoever. Maybe because of the sheer output of the bulbs, but I travel a lot in the night and facing no problems.
satya180 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks