Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 12:55   #121
BHPian

Re: LED Headlamp Bulbs are here! The end of HID?

After getting tired of candle light illumination provided by the 35W halogens and not wanting to convert the electricals to full DC, I decided to take the risk and try some chinese LEDs (27W + 13W) on my TVS Apache RTR 160.

These LEDs have some adapter attached and are designed to run on AC electricals (8V - 80V). Here is the problem,
The LEDs flicker at low RPM similar to halogens(due to AC setup) and flickering goes away above 3k RPM, but unlike the halogens, the brightness does not increase with increase in engine speed. Due to this, the LED is marginally brighter than 35W halogen.

However, if I press the pass switch (DC is supplied directly from the battery), the LEDs become very bright and light up like the dual 55W halogen projector setup on my RC 390 (may be ~20% less brighter). I wonder what the problem here is with the AC supply, as the headlights should get ~35W AC at higher RPM.

My knowledge is quite poor when it comes to electricals. It would be really helpful if some electrical gurus could explain what is going on here.

Last edited by theredliner : 1st September 2017 at 12:59.
Old 1st September 2017, 13:21   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I decided to take the risk and try some chinese LEDs (27W + 13W) on my TVS Apache RTR 160.
Apart from the flickering, are you happy with the amount of light and High/Low beam lights? If yes can you post or PM me the link for these lights. Have been wanting to change the Headlight to LED on my TVS Wego but the review on Aliexpress do not seem consistent and few of them have same throw for both high and low beams.
Right now I have a OSRAM 55W in place of stock 35W halogen.
Old 9th September 2017, 17:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Apart from the flickering, are you happy with the amount of light and High/Low beam lights? If yes can you post or PM me the link for these lights. Have been wanting to change the Headlight to LED on my TVS Wego but the review on Aliexpress do not seem consistent and few of them have same throw for both high and low beams.
Right now I have a OSRAM 55W in place of stock 35W halogen.
Really sorry for the delay in response as I had not logged in due to work pressure.

Coming to the LEDs, when working at full intensity, light output is really good, especially when compared with the halogens. I don't think the high beam range is good enough though. The high beam is provided by a single LED at the bottom and it is highly dependent on the design of the reflector.

I wonder why you are not satisfied with a 55W halogen. Do you ride on the highways too? In any case, I would recommend installing a projector for the 55W halogen instead of going LED. I hate the color temperature of the LED too. In my case, I still went ahead with it as decent light with bad color is better than minimal light. If I had an option to use a 55W halogen, I would have done that without a second thought.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 20:11   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I don't think the high beam range is good enough though. The high beam is provided by a single LED at the bottom and it is highly dependent on the design of the reflector.

I wonder why you are not satisfied with a 55W halogen. Do you ride on the highways too?
The light from 55W halogen is good and I do not ride on highways. I use it to go to busy markets of city in weekend and night ride is now limited to evening office commute few times when I use 2 wheeler.

It was just the 'itch' to convert all lights to LED after changing the pilot and Indicators on the Wego. But going by your advice above this setup seems better and safer.
Old 12th October 2017, 00:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

Swapping stock Halogens with LEDs

hey Folks, I tried searching on the forum but havn't come across much information on the forum about upgrading existing halogen headlights to LEDs. I see in US lot of options available online and even in shops in Bangalore some of these parts are showing up. One of my colleagues has upgraded on his i20 elite with decent results.

Link below shows one example of H4, similar options are available for H7 and others. PLus they claim its a plug and play swap. Any feedback or experience?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B2...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am interested to do this on my XUV's lower beam if it would fit without any mods.

Mods - please merge with another thread if already existing.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:11   #126
SAS
BHPian

Re: Swapping stock Halogens with LEDs

You can try the Philips Ultinon. They are available for H4, H8 and have a warranty. I would stay away of the Chinese LEDs. They don't last long and eventually burn out.

https://www.amazon.in/Philips-X-trem...hilips+ultinon
Old 12th October 2017, 17:31   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Are 4000K or 4500K LED headlight bulbs available yet? The ones that I see online are mostly 6000K (which are useless in the rains).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
These LED kits will eventually become cheaper after a couple of years. What i see is most of the LED have color temperature 6000K which as we know is useless in rains. Wonder what prevents the established manufacturers like philips to offer the bulbs in 4300K temperature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Even LEDs offered as original equipment in cars have a colour temp of close to 6000k. I'm not sure why, but they definitely work in rain and far better than xenons that too.
I am little confused, if white light is so bad in rains then why are all the high end OEMs moving towards them. Germans and all other brands have white lights.

My ICE installer also was giving me same feedback and showed me 4300K LED kit for about 8K INR. Not decide yet, more importantly not sure if XUV's housing would take a H7 for low beam with the cover. Anyone has ideas?
Old 12th October 2017, 18:19   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there any Phillps/Osram H7 and H9 LED bulbs? My Laura has H7/H9 setup.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Are there any Phillps/Osram H7 and H9 LED bulbs? My Laura has H7/H9 setup.
yes they do. looks up online. one link below

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12985B...-bulb/overview
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 19:37   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
yes they do. looks up online. one link below

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12985B...-bulb/overview
Thanks. H7 LEDs are available, I saw after I posted. But H1s are not. I think Laura high beam is H1, not H9. H9 was a typo. There are some H1 LED bulbs on ebay, etc. but not from any reputed company like Philips.
Old 12th October 2017, 20:37   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I am little confused, if white light is so bad in rains then why are all the high end OEMs moving towards them. Germans and all other brands have white lights.
It's a matter of perception and individual sensitivity/visual acuity. Seen the new Bajaj Dominar? Some would have told you it's headlights are awesome - others will say, they're inadequate. I've had varying opinions about the same vehicle headlights - Linea, Swift, for example.

One thing's for sure - rains at night is the worst weather to drive/ride in. Wet roads absorb most of the incident light, reflect very little back and if you add oncoming vehicles with high beams on, you're more blind than a bat - or mole ; unless your vehicle has at least 4 times the brightness as the oncoming vehicle, you're as good as blind.

The OEM suppliers stick to 4200-4300K, which is white light, but quite close to the 3500-3800K of halogen incandescent bulbs. Higher Kelvin corresponds to bluer (higher frequency) light wavelengths which diffract and scatter much faster, distance-wise, than light towards the red-yellow end. HID still emits a small range of frequencies , while LED seems to have a very narrow spectrum so it is probably even worse - though I don't have any experience with LED lights beyond my Dominar, so I can't say with authority how good or bad the LED headlamps on the Audis and BMWs are.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 00:42   #132
Senior - BHPian

I’ve switched to LED’s on my Brezza for over a month now sourced directly from Xenon Planet. It’s running on 5500k as per XP guys. Beam is quite bright I should say. But like the senior heads have spoken about the temperature of the LEDs already, during showers, I should say the visibility is better with temperatures going below 4300k in fact. That’s pure performance with strong beam being emitted in yellowish shade. I intended to buy 4300k and out of some confusion, I missed to mention while placing an order online and those guys also sent me 5500k. I should say the lights are bright enough to make night turn into day. But during downpour it’s a bit challenging. In fact it was before when running on halogen setup as well. I’m also looking at sourcing BI-LED fog lamps from xenon planet itself. I’m a fan of LED’s, regardless of its shortcoming it brings when it’s compared to Xenons. I feel LED’s are straight forward plug and play. But for Xenons, it does take quite some space in the engine bay. And did I mention that I’m a big fan of instant boot time the LED’s scores over Xenons? Damn flash looks so brilliant on LED’s.

Like Ricci has mentioned, never know how the bigger G’s are making use of these LED’s. Rehaan has given immense break up which is quite impressive to see those disection of headlamps which looks so alientech with all the science hid inside it I mean where do these guys come from employing so much tech in lighting alone?
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I’ve switched to LED’s on my Brezza for over a month now sourced directly from Xenon Planet.
Hi, Can you please tell how easy/difficult is the installation? I am planning to buy from the XP guys as well but am holding off until I get some feedback regarding the LED bulbs. Also, at the moment, the LED bulbs seems to be out of stock.

I came across this LED bulb on amazon.com and would like to know if this will fit my car which has a H4 bulb fitted.

Regarding the colour of the light, it seems 4300K will be the best to go with.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Hi, Can you please tell how easy/difficult is the installation? I am planning to buy from the XP guys as well but am holding off until I get some feedback regarding the LED bulbs. Also, at the moment, the LED bulbs seems to be out of stock.

I came across this LED bulb on amazon.com and would like to know if this will fit my car which has a H4 bulb fitted.

Regarding the colour of the light, it seems 4300K will be the best to go with.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Hi Ayankm,

H1 for high, H7 for low. Installation took about 30 mins because the rubber housing had to be drilled that’s placed to protect the headlamp assembly from any sort of dirt or water seepage. Drilling is basically to accommodate the heat sink attached to LED bulbs.

Try if you can source Philips LED bulbs. No idea on cougar motor link you’ve shared from amazon - besides, careful on the model you choose. Link you’ve shared has H4 model and 6000k temp. H won’t fit Brezza.

Yes 4300k should be the apt temperature. Perfect balance between looks and performance.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:03   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Installation took about 30 mins because the rubber housing had to be drilled that’s placed to protect the headlamp assembly from any sort of dirt or water seepage. Drilling is basically to accommodate the heat sink attached to LED bulbs.
Thanks Guru, for the info.
My car is a Eon and currently I have Philips Racing Vision H4 halogen bulbs.
One more thing, since there will be a drilling, will it be possible for me to go back to the H4 halogen setup after I fit in the LED bulb?

Also, I am finding it hard to get any 4300K LED bulbs, except in Aliexpress.

Thanks once again.
Ayan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks