Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 21:58   #211
BHPian

Re: Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
The ones from Carpro and other similar brands are all priced at 300 plus for a towel. The ones I ordered look promising and should be in the 380-400 gsm range.
I've recently ordered a set of 6 CarPro Boa orange microfiber cloths (350 gsm) for ₹ 2360. This translates into a little less than ~ ₹400 per towel, which is a lot for a microfiber. But since I prefer using them for a long time and not changing them frequently, I bought them. Size is 60cm × 40cm, edge less. They were delivered earlier this week. Haven't used them yet.

To the touch, they're unbelievably soft. They felt like fur literally. I intend to use them for the last Quick detail wipe after the wash. So they should last a long time, hopefully.

Because of the continuous rain, I didn't wash my car this weekend. I'm excited to try them, but waiting for the rain to take a break.
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 22:17   #212
BHPian

You ordered them from Ultimate detailerz or Greenz Car Care?
Old 15th August 2020, 22:55   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Been collecting microfibre cloths for years and years. Not many of them cost more than, say Rs100, and some very substantially less.

Amazon Basics, pack of 36, works out R31 each. Small, good around the house or car interior. Not for wash/dry/polish

HappeStop's Multipurpose Microfiber Cloth(XL,62 X 32 Cms,5 Pcs) Rs.549. Good value. I use these for car wash/dry.

I have bought "posher" ones, including some around Rs500, from Optimum, Meguiars, etc.

This is a really good one I found in the cupboard the other day. Feels very nice:

PE Automobil-Produkte X-Static Microfiber Towel - 40x40cm - Pack of 3 for Rs400!

Many of these are "Currently unavailable" on Amazon.in, at least in my area. I hope they will become available again.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:15   #214
BHPian

I avoid buffing after washing the vehicle at all cost since the vehicle is coated and to avoid any minor scratches.

Lately I have tried using the Sonax BSD and need a buffing towel as well. I find that any towel more than 500gsm is sufficient for buffing.

I need plush towels for rinseless/waterless wash as the fibre will be rubbing against the paint and can cause minor swirls.

In case you try them for rinseless washing do let me know how did it perform.Can you also share the link from where you bought them?
Old 16th August 2020, 08:38   #215
BHPian

I recently bought few packs of StrongDry 400gsm 40x40cm and Softspun 340gsm 20x30cm and 30x40cm microfibre cloth.

Needed to keep different towels for several uses so kept the smaller ones.

StrongDry is perfect for most uses. Anything heavier and it will be a problem to use it effectively. My intended use will be buffing, Windshield wiping.

Weird thing with the Softspuns, the smaller ones are 'more plush' in comparison to the larger ones even though both are the same GSM.
anantpoddar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 12:03   #216
BHPian

Quote:
You ordered them from Ultimate detailerz or Greenz Car Care?
I ordered them from Ultimate Detailerz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Amazon Basics, pack of 36, works out R31 each. Small, good around the house or car interior. Not for wash/dry/polish

Many of these are "Currently unavailable" on Amazon.in, at least in my area. I hope they will become available again.
True, Amazon basics microfibers are excellent value for money. They're small, plush for few uses and doesn't hurt much to dispose them off, thanks to their price. Many feel they're not very plush, but when we fold them into 4s (fold twice), I find them good enough for buffing off waxes and polishes without introducing swirls and scratches. I, once upon a time used them to dry the car, but later shifted to 3M and now to dedicated drying towels.

I also use them to handwash the car, instead of buying wash mitts and they work fine. I also use them for interiors and wheels. They work without a complaint. Of course I change them once I feel they've lost their plushness.

One thing I realised : If we wring them out, they'll lose their plushness rapidly. It's the same with any microfiber. Squeezing them is better than wringing them.

And yeah, many products related to detailing are out of stock on many websites. I think it's because of the pandemic. We just have to wait.

Quote:
Lately I have tried using the Sonax BSD and need a buffing towel as well. I find that any towel more than 500gsm is sufficient for buffing.

I need plush towels for rinseless/waterless wash as the fibre will be rubbing against the paint and can cause minor swirls.
I suggest you to not rely solely upon the "gsm" values. It's the quality of fibers and proportions of polyester and polyamide that make more impact, than the gsm ratings.

And most manufacturers don't provide accurate gsm values. Most towels sold in local markets come from China and I believe not much R&D goes into them. I don't mean to say that they're bad, but I say - don't believe what's given in the description. It's always best to try a sample for yourself and then judge their performance by yourself, before making the big purchase.

I once suggested my friend to get a softspun microfiber cloth (pack of 3), a few years ago to use them on his car. I wasn't much knowledgeable at that time when I suggested him. I was just entering the rabbit hole at that time. One fine day, I, for some reason cleaned his windshield with that cloth. I was disappointed with it, as it was just moving water around, like a sponge and not absorbing it. We eventually used the wipers as we were on the move
And very recent posts on this thread suggest that those cloths are very good. So it all changes with time and from person to person, batch to batch. So try them out.
saisailendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 12:41   #217
BHPian

I agree that gsm value alone is not enough to decide the plushness.

I am waiting for the VRT Towels which I ordered on Amazon.Lets hope they solve the purpose.Otherwise ill return them and try a different brand instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
I recently bought few packs of StrongDry 400gsm 40x40cm and Softspun 340gsm 20x30cm and 30x40cm microfibre cloth.

Needed to keep different towels for several uses so kept the smaller ones.

StrongDry is perfect for most uses. Anything heavier and it will be a problem to use it effectively. My intended use will be buffing, Windshield wiping.

Weird thing with the Softspuns, the smaller ones are 'more plush' in comparison to the larger ones even though both are the same GSM.
There is a video on Youtube where they explain the different type of towels Strongdry offers but unfortunately the plush ones from them are not available on Amazon. Not sure where to buy them.
In case you come across a link from where we can buy them do share.
Link for the video

Last edited by navin : 23rd August 2020 at 13:16.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 13:36   #218
BHPian

Quote:
In case you come across a link from where we can buy them do share.
I bought these:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B084V68HDG/..._aFooFbP4AM51H

Last edited by navin : 23rd August 2020 at 13:17. Reason: removed video from quoted post
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 18:20   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Those look really good in the photo, and a pack of five, good value for under Rs400.

I guess I really don't need more cloths, but kept on my wish list for reference. Thanks
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:41   #220
BHPian

Ordered these from Amazon.in for Rinseless/Waterless wash

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P6K7TPY/..._JdHqFbSHSV7KK

Arrived today after 10 days. Certainly not as plush & thick as advertised.625 for 4 towels(45 x 45 Cm)
The reviews did mention being used for rinseless wash and so I ordered.
I have been fed up with ordering and returning towels now.
Have to take a leap of faith and try them. Hopefully, my search ends here.
Attached Thumbnails
Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114144.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114154.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114205.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114217.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114248.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_114350.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_115029.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_115146.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_115205.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_115425.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_115548.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_122135.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-20200823_122231.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:26   #221
BHPian

I ordered a 25 piece set of B quality softspun microfibres for everyday car cleaning and general use from amazon. Right now a good deal going on for 8 pieces, 40x40cm for 355 INR. A very VFM option as i barely saw any flaws in majority of them although will try them soon. If anyone wants some you feel free to DM as i have no use for more than 5-6 anyway.
Old 29th October 2020, 12:10   #222
BHPian

Folks, any suggestions for a microfiber towel to dry the car after washing it?
How do you dry the car after a wash?
I have a bunch of Amazon Basics microfibers. These are good for buffing and not drying as they are very thin. 3M microfibers also do not completely dry the surface when used after washing the car and tend to leave a thin wet layer that eventually dries up but leaves an ugly stain if you look closely. Also my water is hard.

I have found these in Amazon:
Softspun 900 GSM cloth. Link
Meguiars water magnet towel. Link

Are they any good? Will they last at least an year?

P.S: I am in a happy marriage. So, not considering Gyeon Silk Dryer.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 14:20   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
I have a bunch of Amazon Basics microfibers. These are good for buffing and not drying as they are very thin. 3M microfibers also do not completely dry the surface when used after washing the car and tend to leave a thin wet layer that eventually dries up but leaves an ugly stain if you look closely. Also my water is hard.

I have been using the DC blue giant for the past few years. One is enough to dry a hatchback without wringing. I have used it for my i10 and Jazz.

It used to cost Rs 650 when I bought it in 2013 - now it costs Rs 1100 !!

https://www.detailedclean.in/washing...ying-towel-221
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:47   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a bunch of Amazon Basics microfibers. These are good for buffing and not drying as they are very thin.
They will be best of all for kitchen and household work, for which they do just fine.

There's a whole principle involved in this kind of cleaning, which is not to use a whole lot of water, and not to use a whole lot of cleaning agent. The microfibre cloth will remove grease from a kitchen surface almost dry, which not other cloth will do.

You car is a different matter. It is going to be wet, and you do not want that wet to dry to water stains. So you need a longer-pile, microfibre to soak up that water. When it gets loaded, squeeze it out and wipe up some more! You need it to be big enough to comfortably work on the large surface too (and to soak up more).

blackasta's suggestion looks lovely (of course, like all product photography, they would!) and it is great to know that he has been using it for seven years. Which makes the rather high purchase price (It's a lot cheaper than my bathtowel) irrelevant.

I'd mention the smaller, cheaper, ones I use, but they are not currently available.

It is not at all necessary to pay the premium for detailing brand names, although it might give you some feeling of security. I've been using microfibre for everything for decades, and, yes, my bath towel was expensive from a posh Singapore store, but most of my cloths have been cheap. Really cheap. But, if you want something with half an inch of pile to caress that final shine, it won't be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 07:48   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest the drying towel from Amazon basics for 600 bucks. I do not know about longevity. Friend is using it for more than an year and is happy with it. Easy on the pocket too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I have been using the DC blue giant for the past few years. One is enough to dry a hatchback without wringing. I have used it for my i10 and Jazz.

It used to cost Rs 650 when I bought it in 2013 - now it costs Rs 1100 !!

https://www.detailedclean.in/washing...ying-towel-221
Yes, DC blue giant was priced well back then. Now there are cheaper and equally good alternatives available. Even I have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They will be best of all for kitchen and household work, for which they do just fine.

You are absolutely right regarding thin towels and kitchen work. I used thicker towels for kitchen cleaning thinking that if they work well on cars why not in the kitchen. But the thickness hampered reaching the crevices and narrow areas on the kitchen counter. The thin amazon basics ones are excellent in this aspect. They are cheap as well for a pack of 30. Works great! There is a reason why amazon lists them as 'Microfiber cleaning cloths' and not as 'Microfiber towels'

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th October 2020 at 07:51.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks