Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 14:03   #196
BHPian

Re: Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)

I used 3 brands of microfibers till now :

1) Amazon Basics
2) 3M
3) Gyeon

The AmazonBasics Microfibers :

Price : If we keep looking at their prices on the Amazon market, they keep fluctuating. They never are expensive. They get very cheap at certain sale periods. I buy them when the per piece cost is Rs.14- Rs.17. (Must buy packs of 36 or 48 to get this kind of price)

Use-ability : These microfibers are small. They also come in 3 colors so that one can use different color cloths for different purposes. They are soft as we open the pack. How they age depends on how we use them. If we wring them out very frequently, they tend to lose their softness and absorbency. For removing wax and polish, they work quite well. For washing the car, make sure you have one or two per panel and avoid wringing. If the microfiber is saturated with water, just leave it in a clean bucket and grab another one. This way their life can be greatly extended.

Disadvantages : Again, wringing will cause the cloth to lose its softness.

PS : Even after you feel the microfiber has lost its softness, you can use it to clean the wheels or door jambs. If you think it's unfit for that, they can still be used for other household purposes.

3M Microfibers :

Price : Again, I buy them from Amazon. Keeping a look at the seller and prices will help us tremendously to save few rupees. Look out for packs of 2,3 or 4. They can range from Rs.140- Rs.200+ per piece depending on the seller and offers.

Use-ability : These are larger than the AmazonBasics microfibers and come only in Yellow color AFAIK. They are much thicker and high quality than the previous ones. The cloths will last for years. After a year or so, if the cloth has become non absorbent to water, just dip the cloth in water, wring out the water as much as you can, and wipe the wet surface of the car. with the damp cloth. Don't worry as these won't get damaged even if we wring them out. You'll be amazed looking at its absorbency after using it for a year. I never used these to buff off waxes or polishes but I am sure they can do a great job there too.

Disadvantages : I can't list out any disadvantages but maybe having them in a single color may cause some inconvenience to few people.

I usually keep these 3M cloths only for the clean jobs like drying off water and use the Amaon Ones for the dirty jobs like the door jambs, wheels, interior cleaning, etc.

Gyeon :

Recently I got my hands on the Gyeon Silk Dryer. It is very expensive at Rs.2500 for a single towel of 70 cm x 90 cm size. (It's more expensive than the towel I use for myself ) It is only to dry the vehicle and not for any other purpose such as buffing. I used it only twice till now and I'm mind blown. It just leaves nothing behind. I have used it on my Collinite coated Vento and it just makes drying the car a breeze. Took me no more than 5 minutes to dry the majority of the car.

This is a minor review of the products I have used. I have no affiliation with the brands.
saisailendra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 02:12   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
PS : Even after you feel the microfiber has lost its softness, you can use it to clean the wheels or door jambs. If you think it's unfit for that, they can still be used for other household purposes.
Surely your "other household purposes" deserve better than that!

There is hardly any reason to use any other cloth than microfibre for any purpose. I have not had kitchen/bathroom/etc cloths of any other material for a couple of decades. Even my bath towels are microfibre.

It just works better.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 07:06   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Surely your "other household purposes" deserve better than that!
True Sir, but the other house hold purposes for these cloths I meant were the dirtiest. Like a spill of coffee or so. The heart just wouldn't allow us to throw away a microfiber , no matter what percentage of life is left in it.

Quote:
There is hardly any reason to use any other cloth than microfibre for any purpose. I have not had kitchen/bathroom/etc cloths of any other material for a couple of decades. Even my bath towels are microfibre.

It just works better.
Absolutely agree with you. They do every job perfectly. They're really affordable too these days, just to add to the convenience.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 15:21   #199
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a few MF cloths recently from Amazon for detailing mynew car.

AmazonBasics - These are super cheap ones and it shows in the quality as well. Will be using for cleaning interiors and may be glass.

Softspun - They are the No.1 selling MF clothes in Amazon and it is easy to understand why. Will be using them for quick detail and wet wipe with ONR.

Strongdry - These are slightly more expensive than Softspun but bought them as they appeared plusher in the pictures. In reality, it DOES feel thicker, plusher and better quality than Softspun. Used them for applying and buffing the Meguiars spray wax and satisfied with the results.

Meguiars Super shine - This is super expensive one. I have used it earlier on my old car and it is great for buffing after wax application. I have not used it yet, will use it when I apply a proper paste/liquid wax.

I have a noob question - Do we need to wash the MF cloth after applying wax even if it is used only for wax ? It is a bit of pain to wash MF cloth after wax application.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 15:40   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, use good cloths for glass! In fact, try to get the glass-specific ones. Even microfibre sheds fibres, which you do not want on glass. The glass cloths are smooth with no pile and will not shed.

Put your mf cloths in the washing machine --- but never use fabric conditioner, which will destroy their effectiveness.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 15:47   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Put your mf cloths in the washing machine --- but never use fabric conditioner, which will destroy their effectiveness.
Any tips on how to remove grease marks from microfibers? I always end up with grease marks on the cloths after washing or buffing
Old 29th October 2019, 12:14   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any tips on how to remove grease marks from microfibers? I always end up with grease marks on the cloths after washing or buffing
soak overnight in quarter bucket water with a capful of APC
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 18:10   #203
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am planning to buy few high quality microfiber towels only for doing waterless/rinseless washing .

Wanted to check with forum members for suggestions.

The regular ones work fine but i wanted to try a few high quality ones now.
Old 16th July 2020, 22:04   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
The regular ones work fine but i wanted to try a few high quality ones now.
I have dirt-cheap cloths that I've had, and used around house and car, for years and decades. Mostly they are fine. And I speak as a microfibre fanboy who even has mf towels in the house. OK, so my bath towels were not cheap, but they are soft and luxurious. Come to think of it, even they must be ten years old now.

The more expensive ones might have longer tufts, better-made edges, and a fancy label.

I don't think you can go wring with what you have for washing/rinsing/drying.

What I suggest is a nice thick cloth for shining, and one of the special ones for glass, that can't leave any fluff because they don't have any.
Old 17th July 2020, 01:07   #205
BHPian

Appreciate your response.

Suggestions on where to get them, please.
Old 17th July 2020, 01:18   #206
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy few high quality microfiber towels only for doing waterless/rinseless washing .

Not sure what you use now - personally I feel 3M ones are good and they last really long if you take care of them [I never wring any microfiber towels ever - just squeeze using both hands as much as possible to get rid of excess water]. I get them from Amazon.in .

I've also tried Softspun towels - they are a OK for the price.

Last edited by somspaple : 17th July 2020 at 01:19.
somspaple is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:08   #207
BHPian

Saw something called B quality microfibres from softspun which supposedly have a few visual defects while functionality wise are same. I purchased 3 pieces for 355 a few weeks back and saw same size 6 B quality ones for around 395. Worth a try imo for cleaning and regular washes.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07YB7GDV2/..._uu9nFbWT6035E
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 18:51   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Saw something called B quality microfibres from softspun which supposedly have a few visual defects while functionality wise are same. I purchased 3 pieces for 355 a few weeks back and saw same size 6 B quality ones for around 395. Worth a try imo for cleaning and regular washes.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07YB7GDV2/..._uu9nFbWT6035E
Please do let us know how they perform? It is certainly a good deal. I have also ordered a set of 4 towels which seem to be plush. Haven't received them but once I do will share my inputs. I have been struggling to get a good set of MF towels which are plush and can be used for Rinseless/Waterless wash specifically.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P6K7TPY/..._569nFbPSPD7JE

The ones from Carpro and other similar brands are all priced at 300 plus for a towel. The ones I ordered look promising and should be in the 380-400 gsm range.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2020 at 20:15. Reason: Clubbing individual sentences into paras for better readability. Thanks.
Old 15th August 2020, 19:09   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Please do let us know how they perform? It is certainly a good deal. I have also ordered a set of 4 towels which seem to be plush. Haven't received them but once I do will share my inputs. I have been struggling to get a good set of MF towels which are plush and can be used for Rinseless/Waterless wash specifically.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07P6K7TPY/..._569nFbPSPD7JE

The ones from Carpro and other similar brands are all priced at 300 plus for a towel. The ones I ordered look promising and should be in the 380-400 gsm range.
I have always used softspun 340 gsm ones and they work great. Cost effective as well compared to 3M that i have earlier tried. Rather than working hard to maintain expensive ones i feel better buying a cheaper one and replacing later when it deteriorates. If you want something even thicker search for 800 gsm ones on amazon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2020 at 20:15. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 19:23   #210
BHPian

I have tried the 800 GSM ones and they don't seem to absorb liquid which makes them effective only for buffing. Since I will be dedicating the plush ones only for Rinseless/Waterless wash which ideally would happen once or twice per month I think they should last longer.

It's a pity that we don't get Rag Company towels here in India which are among the best. I have heard that StrongDry is also making towels dedicated for detailing but their whole range is not available on Amazon. Surprisingly I can't even find them on any other website.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2020 at 20:15. Reason: Clubbing individual sentences into paras for better readability. Thanks.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks