Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 22:43   #106
BHPian

re: Cellphone Holder

I am looking for a phone mount for my Duster. I want to use the open space on the center dashboard instead of vacuum to windshield.

Anyone tried this type of mount in car?
Does it stay put?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-360-Degree-Rotatable-Magic-Mount-Car-GPS-Navigator-Bracket-Anti-slip-Mat-Mobile-Phone-Holder/1398338528.html
Old 5th December 2013, 13:35   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, will wholly depend on the quality of the rubber suckers plus whether the dashboard (grippy surface or textured or hard and shiny). For example, my Aveo had a textured surface which no sucker could effectively grip.

Further, is the phone free-standing on the holder or is there a rubber sucker to hold the phone itself?

In my opinion the windshield-mounted ones are much more durable and 'safe' given the wild movements we need to do in our traffic :-)
Old 5th December 2013, 13:52   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Further, is the phone free-standing on the holder or is there a rubber sucker to hold the phone itself?
No idea about the quality of this product. It has the parts. 2 anti slip mats and one stand. One mat goes below the stand and the other on the place for phone to rest. The phone is supposed to stay gripped to the stand.
Old 10th December 2013, 00:34   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
No idea about the quality of this product. It has the parts. 2 anti slip mats and one stand. One mat goes below the stand and the other on the place for phone to rest. The phone is supposed to stay gripped to the stand.
Hey Hillman,
I found something similar to the anti slip rubber mount here :
http://dx.com/p/universal-steel-car-...-gadgets-23835

According to the reviews, it seems to work.! But it does depend on the quality of the rubber suckers of the one you get and you will need a flat surface on the dash for the base to stick.

There's an A/C vent mount I found out as well :
http://dx.com/p/universal-360-degree...e-black-227321

It might work in your Duster (not sure). It has the flappy A/C vents, no.?

Hope this helps
Moderator : Posted the links only for the info and not marketing
abir.sharda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 15:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir.sharda View Post
Hey Hillman,
I found something similar to the anti slip rubber mount here :
http://dx.com/p/universal-steel-car-...-gadgets-23835

According to the reviews, it seems to work.! But it does depend on the quality of the rubber suckers of the one you get and you will need a flat surface on the dash for the base to stick.

There's an A/C vent mount I found out as well :
http://dx.com/p/universal-360-degree...e-black-227321

It might work in your Duster (not sure). It has the flappy A/C vents, no.?

Hope this helps
Moderator : Posted the links only for the info and not marketing
Anyone who tries this out please share the experience over bad terrains which most international reviews are unfortunately not taking into account.

Most of these anti-slip/vacuum/magnetic mounts doesn't seem to be able to hold the phone in case the car goes over a pothole or a speed breaker at a slightly high speed. I had a windshield mounted (vacuum type) holder that lost the grip when even I had to go over a bad patch of road. After the phone fell to the car floor a couple of times, I didn't bother to use it anymore.
Old 14th December 2013, 15:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
After the phone fell to the car floor a couple of times, I didn't bother to use it anymore.
Vacuum mounts are most reliable. Before fixing to windshield, wet the vacuum lightly, it will improve grip and fill micro gaps. The mount gets a strong hold that way.
Old 14th December 2013, 16:41   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Vacuum mounts are most reliable. Before fixing to windshield, wet the vacuum lightly, it will improve grip and fill micro gaps. The mount gets a strong hold that way.

Agree. The FLY Universal mount that works well for me. It can hold a moderately sized smartphone reasonably well.
Retails at Rs 200~Rs 250.

Cellphone Holder-fly-universal-mount.jpg
Old 14th December 2013, 16:56   #113
Senior - BHPian

How safe are the windscreen-mounted mobile phone holders in case of a frontal accident? I, for one, prefer the ac vent mounted type or simply place my phone in the cup holders near the gear lever.
Old 12th January 2014, 23:16   #114
BHPian

I ordered this Universal Car Mount Holder for my Galaxy Note 2. It retails at Rs. 685/- on eBay, the link being http://www.ebay.in/itm/191021867580?...ht_4312wt_1163.

I do understand that I paid more than what many other mobile phone holders are retailing at, but I am hoping this will be having a stronger grip and will hopefully last longer. The provided suction cup seems very strong. I tried it on a vertical smooth surface and the grip is extremely strong. The mobile phone holder also seems extremely strong and in my trial it was impossible to pull it out of the grip.

Will share my experience once I use it in the car on our so-called roads.

Attaching a picture for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-car-mobile-mount-opened.jpg  

Old 18th January 2014, 00:39   #115
BHPian

Bracketron Car Mobile Holders from USA is finally launched in India !!! I had used them in USA and they are probably the best mobile holders that money can buy. Interestingly they've launched the range at some really unbelievable prices in India (Rs. 495/- onwards) and Ive already placed my orders for a couple of models on Snapdeal.

Finally we have some good products in India. Was fed up of those cheap Chinese ones that just wudn't hold on to the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-phm201bl-2.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-phw203_motorola_small.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-uch101bl.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-small2_1_1.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-cupit.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-file_1_7.jpg  

ashm99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 22:24   #116
BHPian

I have been using the 'cup it' Bracketron phone holder for about 8 months but have to report that the two arms that hold the phone are a bit flimsy and one of them broke off the other day. I did some 'jugaad' and think am a bit better off now. Those arms are a bit too deep and actually interfere with today's slim phones. Cellphone Holder-uploadfromtaptalk1390668750170.jpg I have a better arrangement than the rubber bands now and will post a picture of the new jugaad soon.
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 22:40   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
How safe are the windscreen-mounted mobile phone holders in case of a frontal accident? I, for one, prefer the ac vent mounted type or simply place my phone in the cup holders near the gear lever.
The ac vent mounted type , have a tendency to rupture the vent plastic itself - as I found out to my chagrin when I used it.
Safety wise - they can hold up relatively well in case of a fender bender. If you mean a full-blown frontal accident - i.e. the works - sorry no data, but yes, anything that's in front of the driver is potentially lethal.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 25th January 2014 at 22:42.
Old 29th January 2014, 00:49   #118
BANNED

After a lot of search I have bought this holder for my Swift to use the Samsung SIII.

Costed me Rs 700 though but I am happy with the quality and feel of the unit. Does support the weight and has a USB port to charge my mobile (They in-sales package has one but I am using OEM USB Cable).

Universal Car Mount Adjustable Mobile Cell Holder with Charger for Smartphone

Cellphone Holder-cd07fb194c2a90773aee_1.jpg

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...ht_1640wt_1165

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 29th January 2014 at 00:51.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:10   #119
Senior - BHPian

I bought this a couple of months back and I must say that it works very well.

Sticks like glue on the windshield and does not fall off on bad / rough roads. Even with the car parked in the hot sun, the holder was firmly stuck to the glass.

I don't think this one can be fixed on the dash or any plastic areas in the car.

Most phones will fit in this cradle and allows for charging while in the cradle too.

I am fully satisfied with this (although it is priced a bit steep but then it's a branded product) and highly recommend this product.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 09:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
The ac vent mounted type , have a tendency to rupture the vent plastic itself - as I found out to my chagrin when I used it.
Safety wise - they can hold up relatively well in case of a fender bender. If you mean a full-blown frontal accident - i.e. the works - sorry no data, but yes, anything that's in front of the driver is potentially lethal.
Personally, I would much rather that the vent broke, than say, my eye or nose.
I use this in my car. I place my other 'slab'phone in the cup holder near the gear lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-1390969604643.jpg  

Last edited by schakravarthy : 29th January 2014 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks