Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 19:39   #256
BANNED

re: Cellphone Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
After hunting for a long time and seeing tons of videos online reviews of mobile holders, I think I have finally found a good one - Mountek Groove nGrip.

In terms of stability it is absolutely rock solid and grips the phone very firmly. Let me know in case of any specific queries about the product
Thank you for sharing the link of the item that you are using. If I can ask, What mobile are you using and which car do you drive?

I am intending to get this for my OnePlus One mobile that is heavy (The main problem).

Looking at the images on the website, I have seen many such on AliExpress too.
Old 15th August 2015, 19:48   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you for sharing the link of the item that you are using. If I can ask, What mobile are you using and which car do you drive?
I am using LG G2 that weighs 143 grams (not significantly lighter than OPO that is 162 grams). I drive an Xcent that has the CD slot at the top of the console so the position is perfect.

I am sure that there will be a lot of replicas on aliexpress but I am somehow doubtful whether the quality will be the same as the original.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:02   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRK View Post
Thanks for sharing. Can you please share few pics after installation?
Sorry for the back to back posts but I had missed this one.

I have attached a few pics after installing which shows the minimum and maximum width of the arms as well
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-120150816_164749.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-120150816_164801.jpg  

Cellphone Holder-120150816_164859.jpg  

praveen789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 19:45   #259
BHPian

Thanks Praveen! Looks great, also no distraction, easily accessible with hands, near to charger as well. Can you pl let me know, how it gets hold in CD slot? Will it affect CD drive slot? How is the durability of holder?
Old 17th August 2015, 09:36   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRK View Post
Thanks Praveen! Looks great, also no distraction, easily accessible with hands, near to charger as well. Can you pl let me know, how it gets hold in CD slot? Will it affect CD drive slot? How is the durability of holder?
The mount has a flat set of 4 paddles (around an inch long) that insert into the CD drive and a knob at the bottom (can be seen in the pics). When you twist the knob, the middle 2 paddles move in the opposite direction of the outer paddles and act as a clamp (imagine it as a set of jaws opening up). The product seems to be very durable. The good part is it can be stowed away when not used. I think the main problem with many permanently mounted units is that the heat and sun from the windshield weakens the bond of the fixture.

Trying to depict how the paddles are:

\1\ \2\ /3/ /4/
Old 17th August 2015, 10:18   #261
BHPian

Quote:
The mount has a flat set of 4 paddles (around an inch long) that insert into the CD drive and a knob at the bottom (can be seen in the pics).
Can the CD be played when the grip is mounted into the CD drive slot ?
Old 17th August 2015, 10:25   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Taken from the Mountek FAQ (http://www.mountek.com/faq/#ngroove-grip)

================================================== ======
Can I listen to my CDs at the same time?

Technically yes, you can listen to your CDs even while the mount is installed. However, we advise that you eject any CDs in your single CD player or multi-disc changer before installing the nGroove Snap mount. If you do choose to listen to CDs while using our mount, do not eject CDs with the nGroove Grip in place. Failure to comply may cause permanent damage to your CD player.

================================================== ======

I have not tried it myself though as I am wary of taking that risk. I anyway play music through Bluetooth and USB so the CD drive is not used at all. Of course, my advise would be not to use it as someone accidentally pressing the eject button might leave you with a broken CD inside the player.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:25   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mount has a flat set of 4 paddles (around an inch long) that insert into the CD drive and a knob at the bottom (can be seen in the pics). When you twist the knob, the middle 2 paddles move in the opposite direction of the outer paddles and act as a clamp (imagine it as a set of jaws opening up). The product seems to be very durable.
Quote:

That exactly is my question too. Whether CD can be played. What I am additionally worried about is that if we use heavy Mobiles, will it lead to the CD slot being damaged or cracked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Since late last year, I am using a phone/tablet mount from ExoGear. The specific model is called ExoGear ExoMount Tablet S. It perfectly takes my 5.2" phone as well as my 7" tablet.

Here is a picture of how it looks:

Attachment 1403994
Dr. AD, what is the approximate size of the suction cup?

My Punto Dash does not have flat surface, moreover it is textured too. Only Flat smooth area where I can hope to fix it properly is the area above the AC vent but that might be a bit tight (see the circled area in the below pic). Hence the question regarding the Dia of the Suction mount area.

Cellphone Holder-img20150812wa0007.jpg

Last edited by vibbs : 17th August 2015 at 10:28.
Old 17th August 2015, 11:00   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Dr. AD, what is the approximate size of the suction cup?

My Punto Dash does not have flat surface, moreover it is textured too. Only Flat smooth area where I can hope to fix it properly is the area above the AC vent but that might be a bit tight (see the circled area in the below pic). Hence the question regarding the Dia of the Suction mount area.
The diameter of suction cup is about 2 inches. I need to go and check for exact size, but from what I could guess sitting at my desk, I think it is about 2 inches.

However, it will not fit into the circled area in your picture (above the AC vent). The reason is that the suction cup is hidden under a largish object (what someone sitting in my car once called a "spaceship like" object) that you can clearly see in the picture I have posted. This is the housing for the suction lock, and also for the adjustable mechanism for the phone holding arm. This also protects the actual suction cup from direct sunlight and heat, and this is one of the reasons why the suction grip is so strong and has lasted long without loosening up.

The downside of all this is that there is a somewhat bulky part that takes a lot of space. So the only option is to mount this on top of the dashboard, where you would have enough space, something like shown in my picture.

Regarding your concern about textured dashboard, this product comes with a 3M adhesive flat disk of the same size as the suction cup. I did not use this disk because I found a smooth portion on my dashboard. But if not, then you could stick this 3M disk to your dashboard (this sticks well even on textured surfaces), and then use this as the base to mount the suction cup on. So this is an option that might work for you.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:00   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
That exactly is my question too. Whether CD can be played.
Just now found the answer and quoting this from their official link:

Quote:
Can I listen to my CDs at the same time?

Technically yes, you can listen to your CDs at the same time. However, we advise that you eject any CDs in your single CD player or multi-disc changer prior to installing the mount. If you do choose to listen to your CDs at the same time, you will want to be cautious not to eject your CDs with the nGroove Grip still installed. Failure to comply may cause permanent damage to your CD player.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 22:25   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding your concern about textured dashboard, this product comes with a 3M adhesive flat disk of the same size as the suction cup. I did not use this disk because I found a smooth portion on my dashboard. But if not, then you could stick this 3M disk to your dashboard (this sticks well even on textured surfaces), and then use this as the base to mount the suction cup on. So this is an option that might work for you.
Hi Doc, thanks. I was searching online and saw your mount now retailing at 8.xxK at amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro View Post
Hi, yes I managed to install it yesterday. The overall pack comes with 3 options.
1. AC vent duct
2. Small windshield / dashboard conventional mount
3. A longish angled mount (which helps if you want the dash free)

The best part is that the grip sticks to the dash (photo coming up). The grip is pretty strong and it was able to hold a oneplus one pretty effortlessly through the craters of mumbai. I still have to figure out the best position for the holder though.

The only thing to keep in mind is that it has many small parts and its quite easy to misplace.

Overall stability and grip is good and it serves the purpose completely. Happy with this product.
Hi Chiro,

Is your mount holding up the OPO well? I too have the same phone and am looking to find a holder for the same.

Lastly same question that I asked in the earlier post, how big is the suction cup? I have very small flat area on the dash and need to find if it can be held there.
Old 17th August 2015, 22:44   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Doc, thanks. I was searching online and saw your mount now retailing at 8.xxK at amazon
No, that is not what I have. I think what you saw for Rs. 8k on amazon is the "ExoMount Tablet", which is for 10" tablets such as iPads. That is a much bigger holder, and as such, is more expensive too.

What I have is "ExoMount Tablet S", which is smaller in size and is meant for smaller tablets (about 7" in size), and as I use it, even phones. The suffix S in the name is the key - that is what I have.

If you search for this specific product with suffix S, you will find a couple of online retailers in India selling it for about Rs.3300 (that is the same price I paid for it). Unfortunately amazon.in says it is unavailable, but I saw a couple of other retailers having it.

Particularly, there is some retailer called Kida (they have a site kida.in), which is apparently located right there in Pune. They have some ExoMount products in stock at a reasonable price. I have no idea how good or otherwise they are (all I know is that their name came up on Googling this product availability in India), but since you are in Pune, maybe you can call them and check it out.

They also have a "ExoMount Tablet S CD", which is essentially the same holder as I have, but installs into the CD player instead of dashboard. That might work for you too. It seems like a very sturdy and well designed product too. Kida.in seem to have this in stock for Rs. 3000.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 17th August 2015 at 22:53.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:33   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Chiro,

Is your mount holding up the OPO well? I too have the same phone and am looking to find a holder for the same.

Lastly same question that I asked in the earlier post, how big is the suction cup? I have very small flat area on the dash and need to find if it can be held there.
Hi Vibbs, hope you are doing well. I have been using the OnePlus One for a while now on the holder and I am really pleased to say the phone has been holding on well, and so far no issues even in the potholed riddled city of Mumbai. The grip is sturdy and fits well.
The suction cup is of normal size (sorry don't have the accurate measurement right now) and will fit in most cars. I have a polo GT and this car doesn't have too much flat surface available as well. the diameter is around 2" and is of good quality. Hope this helps with your query.
Happy Driving,
Chiro
Chiro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 14:17   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No, that is not what I have. I think what you saw for Rs. 8k on amazon is the "ExoMount Tablet", which is for 10" tablets such as iPads. That is a much bigger holder, and as such, is more expensive too.

What I have is "ExoMount Tablet S", which is smaller in size and is meant for smaller tablets (about 7" in size), and as I use it, even phones. The suffix S in the name is the key - that is what I have.
Vibbs, I did some more searching for prices, and it turns out that the ExoMount Tablet holder (for 10" tablets) is for some Rs. 8k+ range on amazon.in, as you pointed out. However, even the Tablet S (that I mentioned) is priced at some 8k range, and with a discount that is now at some 6.9k on amazon.in. So that is indeed very expensive! I got in on amazon.in just last year for Rs. 3300, so it is really shocking to see this price increase.

Anyways, turns out it is available at below site (and they seem to ship to India) for just Rs. 2548. I have never used this site for buying anything, so I don't have any experience. But just FYI, here is the link:

http://in.mobilefun.com/42120-exogea...lder-black.htm
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 17:59   #270
BHPian

I am using the capdase racer car mount holder for the last few days . Sourced it from Amazon for 1000rs , arrived in neat packaging . Works well for my iPhone 6 . Will update after I get to test it on rough roads .
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-image.jpg  

Last edited by soumen.blore : 20th August 2015 at 18:00. Reason: Removed attachment text

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks