Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2015, 00:01   #181

re: Cellphone Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
3M disc is nothing but a round plastic piece with a double sided 3M tape on one side and a perfectly flat surface on the other. If you want a DIY solution, you can always cut the lid of a plastic container to this size and get a 3M double sided tape and stick it to the rough surface. Considering I paid only 333 including shipping, DIY would also cost a considerable fraction of that.

I have HTC 8X, which does not have a removable battery. So magnetic mount is not an option for me.
Haha thanks. I will try something like that soon when I get time. I can even get some plastic flat discs that people use on dining table to cover glasses and spray paint to my need. I have a black spray paint lying around in the garage lol.

My iphone also dont have a removable battery and it goes under phone case. Problem is I had to change my case because my original case was transparent.
Old 10th January 2015, 18:38   #182
BHPian

I was looking around for a mobile holder and zeroed down on the Amkette holder. I then remembered this thread and was pleasantly surprised to see zenren buy the same thing . Now that we'll have a review of this in few weeks from him anyways, I decided to buy another one so that we have two reviews on this forum .

Ended up placing an order of one of 'Fly' car mobiles. I have a 5" phone, and I am not sure if it'll fit in this holder. I thought its worth a shot though as they are giving a Gaana+ membership for 3 months.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00I..._ya_os_product

Quote:
I'll probably post an update a few weeks later depending on how the current position holds up.
Looking forward to your review. If I am not happy with mine, will probably go for this.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 22:53   #183
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Ended up placing an order of one of 'Fly' car mobiles. I have a 5" phone, and I am not sure if it'll fit in this holder. I thought its worth a shot though as they are giving a Gaana+ membership for 3 months.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00I..._ya_os_product
I had this earlier. Absolutely bad experience, as it fell down from the windshield on the second day. My phone (Lumia 920) was not damaged, but the holder was broken.

I recently purchased the Amkette one that zenren has posted about, reading the reviews. I hope that sticks to the dashboard.
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 14:36   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
I had this earlier. Absolutely bad experience, as it fell down from the windshield on the second day. My phone (Lumia 920) was not damaged, but the holder was broken.
I received this holder today and this indeed is waste of money. The suction felt quite strong, but the holder didn't last 2 mins. I put my phone once and that's it. One of the 'arms' of the holder doesn't go back anymore. I don't know how this holder received 66 reviews on Amazon averaging 3 1/2 stars.

I have initiated the process of return, lets see how it goes. I'll probably now buy the Amkette one now.
Old 12th January 2015, 15:25   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I received this holder today and this indeed is waste of money. The suction felt quite strong, but the holder didn't last 2 mins. I put my phone once and that's it. One of the 'arms' of the holder doesn't go back anymore. I don't know how this holder received 66 reviews on Amazon averaging 3 1/2 stars.

I have initiated the process of return, lets see how it goes. I'll probably now buy the Amkette one now.
I tried driving over some patchy roads over the weekend and the holder kept looking down due to phone's weight when I went over a rough patch. Since the suction is really good and the holder grips the phone well, it didn't fall down and I had to keep lifting it to see the phone. If I can mount it in a way that there is no more downward play for the rotary head, it might resolve this issue.

Even in current position, it serves the purpose and the design is helpful in lifting the head back to position easily with one hand.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 17:19   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Even in current position, it serves the purpose and the design is helpful in lifting the head back to position easily with one hand.
Can you please post a picture with your mobile phone fixed. This holds the phone by two sides only? Is it possible for the phone to slip out. My phone is 5" and weighs on the higher side (about 150gms).
Old 12th January 2015, 20:04   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post a picture with your mobile phone fixed. This holds the phone by two sides only? Is it possible for the phone to slip out. My phone is 5" and weighs on the higher side (about 150gms).
The grip is quite good as the contact points with the phone are made of rubber and should hold the phone well. However, if the phone is on the heavier side, it is unlikely to defy gravity when it comes to the adjustable head and it likely to be looking down always.

Here are the pics, with and without the phone. Sorry about the low quality, my parking is in a relatively dark area and flash causes too much reflection on the glass.

Cellphone Holder-wp_20150112_003.jpg

Cellphone Holder-img_3720i.jpg

Other Amkette options:
http://www.amazon.in/Amkette-Univers...ette+car+mount

http://www.amazon.in/Amkette-Univers...ywords=amkette

Last edited by zenren : 12th January 2015 at 20:10.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 20:43   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The grip is quite good as the contact points with the phone are made of rubber and should hold the phone well. However, if the phone is on the heavier side, it is unlikely to defy gravity when it comes to the adjustable head and it likely to be looking down always.
UPDATE: There was a rotary knob mechanism to tighten the head, which I noticed only today.

Looks like it loosened a bit after some bad patches and was the culprit behind the loose head. Tightened it now and the phone is perfectly stable in the holder now. So crossing off the only complaint I had so far. This is worth it.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 19:24   #189
Senior - BHPian

I have a Swift and also a super cool iOttie phone holder but the problem is where to mount it!

For now its tucked away in the glove box because I can't figure out a permanent location for it. While I feel the best place is to put it on the bottom right side but putting it on charger becomes a problem from here.

I also have a GoPro frame mount that I like to use on my road trips and the top middle portion of the windscreen is reserved for that. I'm a little skeptic that two mounts would hog too much of my vision so just checked, any other alternatives you guys can think of?
Old 19th January 2015, 23:56   #190
BHPian

Everyone please stay as far away as possible from the Fly holders. They are absolute garbage and break within a few days of usage. I actually bought 2 before realizing my folly. They are cheap at around 200-300 bucks but there's a reason for the "cheapness".

I am now using a Capdase that cost 800 and still going strong after more than a year.
Old 20th January 2015, 08:36   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have a Swift and also a super cool iOttie phone holder but the problem is where to mount it!
Wouldn't the iOttie holders stick to the dashboard? To me, middle of the dash sounds like the best bet with easy access to charging cable.
Old 20th January 2015, 19:04   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't the iOttie holders stick to the dashboard? To me, middle of the dash sounds like the best bet with easy access to charging cable.
I have the suction mount for it and swift's dashboard is dotted so that wouldn't work really. I mean it could but I'd doubt if it would hold it for too long.
Old 28th January 2015, 13:02   #193
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: There was a rotary knob mechanism to tighten the head.
I noticed a deal on shopclues. This holder was selling (and is still selling) for Rs.63. I thought I'll take a risk and check how good/bad this is.

http://www.shopclues.com/fly-claw-gr...r-black-3.html

This holder also has a similar rotary mechanism for tightening the head. I found it pretty good. It does vibrate a bit on bad roads, but the suction has not given up so far. I have a 5" phone that weighs approx 150 gms. No complaints so far. Let see how long it stands .
Old 30th January 2015, 13:02   #194
BHPian

I have bought this but from rediff shopping. Don't know if it is still available, I tried looking but didn't find it.

http://www.amazon.com/FlyStone%C2%AE.../dp/B00B1RU5E2

It's really good & helps quite a lot!
polo_ankit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 11:11   #195
BHPian

Can anyone guide me as to which is a better mobile phone holder for car of the below 2 options.

Cellphone Holder-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423287459.059493.jpg
Cellphone Holder-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423287467.461014.jpg

Sorry If pics are not proper, I am using mobile to upload them and post this.
I intend to attach iPhone 4S and may be sometimes iPhone 6 Plus to the mount to use it as GPS unit. I did read above that many of these won't stick well to dashboard but work well on windshield. I am ok with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks