Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 10:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Cellphone Holder

[quote=schakravarthy;3356603]Personally, I would much rather that the vent broke, than say, my eye or nose.
Most definitely - personal safety is always of prime concern. I for one have mounted the phone on the front quarter glass of the Innova. Visibility to the phone is good, and it is quite safely out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I use this in my car.
That's a small form-factor phone - and possibly quite light as well ,and on well-built cars the vent plastics will hold up. However, in other cars with cheap plastics, and a heavier phone (e.g. many smartphones), the vent plastic ruptures. This means a trip to the dealer to source the part - and as these are not critical spares - many dealers don't carry them - invariably one ends up making a double trip.
Old 29th January 2014, 12:09   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

That's a small form-factor phone - and possibly quite light... a heavier phone (e.g. many smartphones)...
The pouch can easily accommodate a larger phone too. Pictured here is a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I occasionally place in the same pouch.
But, I agree to that bit about 'cheap plastics' in your post. Just because I haven't faced any problems so far, doesn't necessarily mean that the plastic won't break off in some other car.
All I wanted to convey was that the type and, more importantly, the placement of the phone holder is such that it won't shoot off towards my/passengers' face like a missile in case of a collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Cellphone Holder-290114_1157.jpg  

Last edited by schakravarthy : 29th January 2014 at 12:20.
Old 30th January 2014, 21:31   #123
BANNED

Quote:
The pouch can easily accommodate a larger phone too. Pictured here is a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I occasionally place in the same pouch.
For a change I am seeing a Samsung S3 in RED

Coming to the pouch, can I know how tight is it to hold such slabs?

Does the mobile jump inside the pouch over bad roads?

Anurag.
Old 30th January 2014, 21:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For a change I am seeing a Samsung S3 in RED
Unfortunately I was in a hurry to buy one and the dealer didn't have any other colour left, so grudgingly settled for this. But you won't be seeing it again as I sold it today evening.

Quote:
Coming to the pouch, can I know how tight is it to hold such slabs?

Does the mobile jump inside the pouch over bad roads?
The pouch has a velcro adjuster at the back. The cavity can be adjusted to suit to the phone size. Set correctly, the phone rests snugly in the pouch and won't 'jump around', however bad the road might be. But it oscillates madly though.
Old 30th January 2014, 22:00   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately I was in a hurry to buy one and the dealer didn't have any other colour left, so grudgingly settled for this.
Cool. I too have an Samsung S3 but the Pebble Blue one. :thumbup:

Quote:
But it oscillates madly though.
If I am not wrong the pouch rests on the A/C vent. Right?

What about air flow?

Anurag.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I am not wrong the pouch rests on the A/C vent. Right?

What about air flow?
Yes, it does rest on the ac vent. At most times only a small part of the vent is blocked.
The photo I've shared above, due to the skewed angle of the photograph, seems to exaggerate the blockage area.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:14   #127
BHPian

Has anyone ever used a suction cup based phone cradle on windshields which have been filmed? Logically, the film will peel off after a while, having to bear the weight of the cradle. If not that, then hellish rings come to visit the wind shield and stay for ever.

I tried using a weighted bean bag, which sits on the dash on the top of an anti-slip grip mat. Slowly, the grip mat as lost its power to captivate and the bean bag has had pretty decent shots at freedom. Also, the suction cups for the cradles seem to be giving up in their prime and more often than not, dive off the dashboard.

Is there any way I can mount a phone in the car? I am not keen about mounting anything on the ac vents. I drive a 2012 Swift.

Help!!!
Old 6th May 2014, 12:32   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for a mount but not the ones that stick to the windshield like an abominable contraption. I am looking for something with an extremely small and smart form factor (no ac vents please). I will use the phone on this mount primarily as a GPS/Map device.

What are my options? I drive a Ford Figo.

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th May 2014 at 12:59.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:05   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am looking for a mount but not the ones that stick to the windshield like an abominable contraption. I am looking for something with an extremely small and smart form factor (no ac vents please). I will use the phone on this mount primarily as a GPS/Map device.

What are my options? I drive a Ford Figo.
How about these two options:
1) A rear view mirror mount
Cellphone Holder-universalcarrearviewmirrormountholderforcellphonepdagpsmp4m066a_m066a_01600x700.jpg
2) A sun visor mount
Cellphone Holder-visor-mount.jpg
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 14:13   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
How about these two options:
1) A rear view mirror mount
Attachment 1237638
2) A sun visor mount
Attachment 1237639
Thanks man!

Out of the two, I liked the sun visor mount the best. The rear view mirror mount is quite protrusive.

But looking up and away from the wheel every now and then for directions (as well as reaching your hand out to use the map function or anything else on the phone) seems to be a serious distraction for the sun visor mount.

Any other options at the eye level?

Something like this would be nice: http://goo.gl/ySyFHz but I don't understand the magnet function. I have to stick a magnet at the back of my phone permanently? That's crazy.

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th May 2014 at 14:16.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:32   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thanks man!

Out of the two, I liked the sun visor mount the best. The rear view mirror mount is quite protrusive.
I use one like this - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...1fd7fe8&_uhb=1

It's very small, smart and does the job well. BUT - gotta stick it to the windshield. If you are ok with fixing it permanently in place, there is a bottom plate with adhesive that you can use to fix it to the dashboard.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 15:17   #132
BHPian

If the use of the cell holder is mainly for GPS. I'd advise it to be placed in sight of AC. This is to ensure appropriate cooling for the phone, else it will heat up on long journey. Windshield or IRVM is fine as long as AC vent can blow some cool air that way.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 15:30   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
I'd advise it to be placed in sight of AC. This is to ensure appropriate cooling for the phone, else it will heat up on long journey.
+1. I agree with this point.

I am currently using this type of mobile holder for my Samsung SIII, bought it for Rs 550.

http://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=261450545420.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 15:47   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1. I agree with this point.

I am currently using this type of mobile holder for my Samsung SIII, bought it for Rs 550.

http://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=261450545420.

Anurag.
This seems interesting. The Figo's 12 v charger point is face up, so this thing will plug into it vertically (as shown in the image). Perfect, and the phone will stare straight up at me. Guess this will let me charge my phone on the move as well.

Can that extension be shortened to make it shorter? What is the overall length (shortest and longest) in cms/inches?

Is this a universal thing (have an Xperia Z)? How is the build quality? Any rattles?

I also found this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Kal...bebc181&_uhb=1

The finish looks really fantastic and the small form factor is very nice! My only bother is if it will fit onto the dashboard - if there was a try before you buy option somewhere in Bangalore, would be nice. Ofcourse, doesn't provide any charging, so that's a downer. If I use maps and the screen on, the phone does need continual charging for sure.

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th May 2014 at 15:56.
Old 6th May 2014, 16:52   #135
BHPian

Hi,

I am currently using this. Use it only during long trips and the front seat passenger can keep a tab on the screen.

Cellphone Holder-10.jpg

However, of late, I feel the need to have something closer to the driver seat, near the trademark position of the diety-idol. Hence, planning to buy either of these. I am against putting anything on the windshield. Any pointers / feedback please?

I saw a similar setup in Staples, however, that costs 999/-

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Mobile-Ph...1fd2848&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Universal-Car...1fd3569&_uhb=1

Here are the samples -

Cellphone Holder-gen360minicarmount5.jpg

Cellphone Holder-gen360minicarmount8.jpg

Cellphone Holder-gen360minicarmount1.jpg

Last edited by Safety is Param : 6th May 2014 at 16:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks