Team-BHP - Front windscreen sunfilm?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Front windscreen sunfilm? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/5142-front-windscreen-sunfilm-61.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast_elegance (Post 1447153)
@sawyer : I did check with my dad regarding the sun film as he was the one who got it installed and he told me that the film opacity is within legal limits.

No disrespect, but I ask you to check again. No VLT 70% film I know of looks medium dark when installed, it looks almost like the tint that modern cars come with on their glass, and it is hard to notice it. Maybe he is referring to the legal limits for the side windows, which is 50% VLT, and will look medium dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1447268)
No disrespect, but I ask you to check again. No VLT 70% film I know of looks medium dark when installed, it looks almost like the tint that modern cars come with on their glass, and it is hard to notice it. Maybe he is referring to the legal limits for the side windows, which is 50% VLT, and will look medium dark.

@sawyer : I will check on this from the accessories shop where the sunfilm was installed.

It is illegal to have a 50% VLT (Visible Light Transmittance) film on the windscreen and no reputed company will come out with such a film. A 50% VLT film is actually meant for the side glasses.

@Kiterunner - yes, but it is not illegal for an installer to fit one. And that is probably what has happened here, perhaps based on a partial knowledge of the law. Actually, I prefer 70% VLT on the two front windows as well, because they bring in the peripheral vision, and are also used on turns, and in India, one needs to see as much as possible at night, what with lots of people on the roads without running lights.

I have a brand new Skoda Superb and am planning to go in for a Llumar installation. Chose Llumar because I read this thread and have heard good things and I know the dealer.

I am nervous about the installation guys having to open the panels on my new baby to install the film and making a mess of the panels.

A friend of mine suggested getting them to install the film without removing the glass or panels. He had done that for his merc. This would leave a small gap at the bottom of the window glass.

Have any of you had any bad installation stories?
Anything specific to watch out for?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

/sanjay

@san9jay : If you do not remove panel your film will start peeling at the place where it is cut near the panel due to operation of power windows ( Up and Down over a period of time ).
Also it would be better if you can go for 3M CR 70 for front and CR50 others as this film is much better than lLumar and not as expensive as Vkool.Also these series of CR from 3m has very good specs.
You may also look at the excel file posted by one of the members with decent comparison in technical parameters posted in this thread for reference.

It is painful to see panels of the new car open and hanging, but it is a part of a good installation to do this, and put them back as good as new. Which is why it is so important to be sure you have a good installer. Which is why I stuck to V Kool, not knowing the whereabouts of a good alternative. The 3M CR series are just as good as V Kool, for about half the price, but they do need to be installed well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust (Post 1451888)
@san9jay : If you do not remove panel your film will start peeling at the place where it is cut near the panel due to operation of power windows ( Up and Down over a period of time ).
Also it would be better if you can go for 3M CR 70 for front and CR50 others as this film is much better than lLumar and not as expensive as Vkool.Also these series of CR from 3m has very good specs.
You may also look at the excel file posted by one of the members with decent comparison in technical parameters posted in this thread for reference.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bitten the bullet and scheduled an installation today. They will be removing the panels for the install.

I read through this entire thread and heard good things about VKOOL, 3M and Llumar. Finally decided on Llumar because I knew the dealer and so if there is any problem I can get it fixed.

/sanjay

I got the Llumar film installed. I chose the Platinum series (the lightest shade) for the windows and rear and the clear film for the windscreen.

Chennai has been pretty cloudy since I installed it so dont know how well it has been working but no complaints about visibility etc. Have driven it in the rain and its fine.

/sanjay

@san9jay : Congratulations . Please update once you use for few days in sun.One thing you can try to check out the difference is , For sometime let sun fall direct on your skin and then through glass to better check the effectiveness.

Regards

I have been using the film for a few days now. had the chance to test it out on a long drive (Chennai-Kodaikanal-Chennai)

I am pretty happy with the side and rear film. Inspite of it being a hot day the side film worked well and I did not feel the heat even after many hours of continuous driving.

The front windscreen film on the other hand I am not so sure about.

With a very unscientific test. I felt the top of my dashboard with my bare hands after a few hours of driving in the blazing sun and compared it to the dashboard of my friend's car who was also driving on the same trip.

To my bare hands the dashboard felt pretty much the same in both cars even though his car had no film whatsoever!

/sanjay

Quote:

Originally Posted by san9jay (Post 1475932)
I have been using the film for a few days now. had the chance to test it out on a long drive (Chennai-Kodaikanal-Chennai)

I am pretty happy with the side and rear film. Inspite of it being a hot day the side film worked well and I did not feel the heat even after many hours of continuous driving.

With a very unscientific test. I felt the top of my dashboard with my bare hands after a few hours of driving in the blazing sun and compared it to the dashboard of my friend's car who was also driving on the same trip.

To my bare hands the dashboard felt pretty much the same in both cars even though his car had no film whatsoever!

/sanjay

this is what exactly my friend who owns a accessories shop in bangalore told me....he said the front glass film is absolute crap...infact he stopped me from getting it done...he also told me its only a belief , but as such it does nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinivas9446 (Post 1476470)
this is what exactly my friend who owns a accessories shop in bangalore told me....he said the front glass film is absolute crap...infact he stopped me from getting it done...he also told me its only a belief , but as such it does nothing.

I have CR70 for the front windshield. Here's the spec.

3M India: Choose your film

Primary reason was cutting down prolonged UV exposure while driving in the sun. UV radiation is known to have health hazards if exposed for extended periods.

The CR70, while being a very light film, it does cut down 99.9% UV.

The secondary reasons were cutting down the heat and the glare which this film does to some extent.

3M is a reputed company so, I wouldn't expect them to lie in their published specs. And if their specs are right, then I'm getting what I want. Doesn't matter what somebody's friend believes (or doesn't).

Quote:

Originally Posted by san9jay (Post 1475932)

/sanjay

That is why it is necessary to go for the top spec film for this application. And remember that even they have a heat rejection of just around 55% - so the heat build up inside after a few hours will be not very different from naked glass. But the UV rejection is very high, close to 99% and so the dashboard fading will still be substantially less. Glare reduction will also remain at the same levels, much better than naked glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pachchu (Post 1476645)

Primary reason was cutting down prolonged UV exposure while driving in the sun. UV radiation is known to have health hazards if exposed for extended periods.

Windshield glass itself rejects UV. No need for film. Any glass sold in the market rejects UV radiation. No need for separate film. correct me if iam wrong

It is a marketing ploy used by sun film makers to sell

Sunfilm should reduce heat trasmission