Team-BHP - Front windscreen sunfilm?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Front windscreen sunfilm? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/5142-front-windscreen-sunfilm-57.html)

Dear Samurai,

Pls dont opt for it.

My close friend is car well known accessories dealer here in Bangalore. He himself suggested its just a Cosmetic to the car.

he has installed it in his Ikon, says the net effect is the same with or without the film in the front. He has trial tested it and infact demotivated me from getting it done.

bye

Quote:

Originally Posted by srinivas9446 (Post 1411750)
Dear Samurai,

Pls dont opt for it.
My close friend is car well known accessories dealer here in Bangalore. He himself suggested its just a Cosmetic to the car.
he has installed it in his Ikon, says the net effect is the same with or without the film in the front. He has trial tested it and infact demotivated me from getting it done.

bye

Dear Sirini
Please indicate which samurai post you are referring to, as there is no recent post as far as i can search. What is "..its just a.." "IT" in your post? Are you refering to side sunfilm or windshield sunfilm or rear one?
thanks in advance
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanagg1 (Post 1412318)
Dear Sirini
Please indicate which samurai post you are referring to, as there is no recent post as far as i can search. What is "..its just a.." "IT" in your post? Are you refering to side sunfilm or windshield sunfilm or rear one?
thanks in advance
cheers

Good question to an enigmatic post! As a user for over 5 years, I know that V 70 works very well on the front glass. Given the angle of the different glasses, it is common sense to guess where it is most needed. It most definitely is the one accessory I always install - on the front glass. It costs a lot, but I look at it as a 5 year investment, minimum, and it certainly works just as well in year 5 as it does in year 1.
If it was cheaper, I would install it all over, to be honest. Which is why the 3M CR series may actually be a better idea, going by just the specs. Have never used it myself though.

Just joining in with my two-cents for the fun of the debate: The front takes in major heat from an overhead sun (agreed with Sawyer), which also happens to be the hottest. Visible Light Transmission (VLT) of the front glass has be be at least by 70% as per cop rules (and also for your own safety especially in night driving). A film that has high VLT coupled with high heat rejection also has a high price tag, period. According to cops the side films can have lower VLT hence people go for films that use tint to reduce ingress of radiated heat energy. The rear glass though not as critical as the front cannot be as dark as the side glasses is usually applied the same film. There is not much point in over doing these glasses anyway. A safe bet would be to use 50% VLT film on these glasses and not entice the traffic cops. Surely, covering the sides and back does contribute to reduce heat ingress albeit at much lower cost.

Hi I recently got my car done with V Kool from their centre in Rajendra Palace , New Delhi
paid arnd 22K including the 4% tax
side diamond series with 56% visilbility and rear V 70
Didn't opt for the front screen.
Overall quite satisfied with the heat reduction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1411328)
As a long time user of V 70, I used it again on my front glass for my new car. It works very well, but it is expensive,@ 12k for just the front. Good investment over 5 years, and yes, given the way the front glass is more like an angled sunroof these days, that is where most of the solar energy comes into the car from, as far as glass is concerned.
The 3M CR 70 is very well specced, and is available for half the price of the V Kool. I was not sure of the installation quality for it, which is why I stayed with V Kool. I also tend to believe that one gets what one pays for, and that is another reason for the decision. Having said that, it is possible that the CR 70 is just as good, and in that case it makes a very good case for use all around the car. Will not have any impact on safety at night and keep the interiors newer for longer, and reduce the load on the AC/Engine. It will not allow for privacy of course, but I think that is not as important as safety. But that too is perhaps an age driven point of view!
Using the CR 50 elsewhere is a great VFM solution too - but one needs to be sure of installation quality.
PS: For V kool fans, I recommend v 70 in front and the X 68 gold dust elsewhere. The X 68 has a light gold sheen, while still allowing over 50% of light transmission. For an i 20, it would come to a total of Rs 19k. V 70 all around would probably be around Rs 32k.

@dhir - If the front was to also be covered by V 70, you would find that heat reduction would double! And what you can achieve by front coverage only is the protection of the dashboard from the UV driven fading. And reduction of glare for the driver, from the sun as well as oncoming headlights at night. Diamond is the description of the X 68 series, I think.
My view is if you want it to be anything more than just for external show, and budget is a constraint, install V 70, or equivalent spec film on just the front glass.

I got the front windscreen of my Dzire done yesterday with garware ice cool. The guy fixing it used a hair dryer to heat the film to enable it to fit the curvature of the glass. now the areas where he had heated it is wrinkled. Anyone had similar experience.
Also he said for 2-3 days are required for the film to dry out. will these wrinkles also go???

Heating the film to make it fit the curvature is normal, use of a hairdryer is not, because for the films I have experience with, more heat than that is needed. Wrinkling, even on day 1, is normally a sign of poor installation. But since there is nothing you can do about this right away, you may as well keep your fingers crossed and hope they go away in the 2-3 days, that are normal in the rainy season. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by goandude (Post 1420596)
now the areas where he had heated it is wrinkled. Anyone had similar experience.
Also he said for 2-3 days are required for the film to dry out. will these wrinkles also go???

Yes. I had a similar experience when I got 3M CR70 installed in my Safari. They said the wrinkles will go away but it dint. Finally it was replaced couple of days later. So my take of the issue is, wrinkles shouldn't be there in the first place. If it's there then i'm afraid it doesn't go away.

Quote:

I got the front windscreen of my Dzire done yesterday with garware ice cool. The guy fixing it used a hair dryer to heat the film to enable it to fit the curvature of the glass. now the areas where he had heated it is wrinkled. Anyone had similar experience.

:Frustrati Wrinkles will not go away.The installer was just trying to get you out of his place. Heating is normal and when done right, should not cause wrinkles. You got a bad install. Ask them to change it.

Hi Guys,

I have Llumar installed on my Swift. I am using neutral 50 on the sides and rear (Rs. 4500) and Air 75 on the front (Rs. 6000). However my windsheild recently cracked due to an impact from a pebble and had to have it changed so have to again install the front windsheild flim.

However, my friend recently installed Garware film on his new Silver Honda City and this film has amazing looks and gives a sort of a slivery reflective look which has totally caught my fancy. He paid only 2k for the sides and rear with no tint on the front windsheild. I would like to know if Garware is better than Llumar as a product and if if i should change to Garware. I am totally happy with Llumar but Garware seemed to have a better look on my friend's car than the Llumar installed on my car.

Do you advise the change from Llumar to Garware?

Regards,

Epic

Quote:

Do you advise the change from Llumar to Garware?
Llumar is better than Garware as long as it's not fake. Read this thread for more info.

Garware is an Indian brand and comes at the lower end of the Sunfilm spectrum. Llumar is positioned higher and I am sure you could have got a silvery shade in Llumar as well. I got a silver hue shade(only from certain angles) of V-Kool for my Punto.

Quote:

Anyone had similar experience.

This happened to my friend's A-Star just last evening. He was installing a 3M front winshield sun-film and towards the end of the installation, the film had many wrinkles over it as the job was not properly done by a novice installer.

The main guy in charge was then forced to remove the entire film and put on a fresh piece and this time the job was done by a guy with experience.
Towards the end, he used a halogen light kind of device to heat the film and make it set in place. I've never heard of anyone using a hair drier though.

Offtopic but required by situation. I have Llumar on Santro Xing and honestly it's one of the most disgusting film series I've ever seen, Llumar's other products have been well applauded. I got that car specific pack (50% sides and 70% rear) and the film hardly makes any difference, moreover the film is thin. Thin is being used as I got Garware Classic Dark Natural Ash shade installed on i20, the installer (who is doing this job for the past decade) was praising the film for its quality. The film's thickness is 1.5mm. The film seems to be photo-chromatic and has a good appeal. Further, am awaiting its performance in Delhi's heat and hope it proves worthy of every penny spent on it.

With the classic pack, we were able to complete sides and rear on i20(single piece), rear of Santro Xing (Single piece) and we are still left with enough film to do rear of another Santro or i20. :thumbs up

I got Llumar for Rs.1,045 from Reliance and this film I got for Rs.1,200. Garware is no cheap brand, I agree Llumar, 3m, V Kool are very well known brands but this doesn't make Garware inferior, in some aspects it may be. It is the best VFM one gets with warranty varying from 1 year to 5 years. I'm not related to Garware or this industry, but simply downgrading an Indian brand for an expensive foreign brand is not logical. I don't demean those who advocate foreign brands, but we should consider the performance and price and not origin of the brand.