Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 19:22   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: "The First" from the SPEEDSPORT stable !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Yes Ricky Ji. i mean well.Infact i'm actually praying that your car passes the reliability test with flying colors.Because this will renew my hope of owning a nice sleeper car done up at a place near me with a tuner within reach to solve any small issues.

Oh great !! So you may be coming to Delhi to "do things" to your car's brain ?? I really do hope it materializes.

From your posts it seems like you are almost there yourself, so why not get the hammer & spanner & get going. You seem very knowledgeable - Go for it or just get the Civic Tc'd & be done with, unless you want to hold on to the OE engine in NA form. Better still (if you are OK with it) get a TypeR transplant

Chalo the reliability test is on with my car. Will keep the thread updated, however it goes, brilliant, good, bad or ugly

Cheers
Old 14th December 2010, 19:45   #287
Senior - BHPian

No no.Nothing with the civic.the price tag will always be at the back of my head if i try to do something to it.

Whenever i have that kind of a budget in my hand i will scout for a good car and then get it modded.

Ricky ji about getting down with it myself well all i can say is that theoretical knowledge is one thing and getting it down practically is another.Thats why i need a cheap car to work on.That car pricetag is one thing that has held me back and this type of tuning is different than installing bolt on accessories on the 12R.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:28   #288
Senior - BHPian

Get hold of a decent Zen & get cracking. The Way the Zen Phil made has turned out will if nothing else, make you take notice.

I'd have done that had it not been for the seating height issue for me.

But you can do A LOT on the Swift as well. Mine is Rock'n' Roll for me, but you can go a step or two ahead & make it a 320d competitor or beater.

I am NOT kidding

Cheerio
Old 15th December 2010, 00:37   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you say might be true theoretically.But seeing reviews of many many owners using the autotune option available with the new dynojet power commander 5 are all praise about it.They are actually saying its making more power than a dyno made map.primarily because its adjusting values all the time.
The Power Commander is a piggyback, unlike this Haltech which is a standalone. A piggyback can only make relative changes to the fuel maps, not absolute. Therefore, the capability of doing serious harm is a lot less than a proper standalone.

Quote:
Autotune facility is not a 20 minute option.It can be used continuously forever.
Regarding the O2 sensor going bust its a small price to pay even if it has to be changed annually.
There is a reason why even normal cars resort to open loop and stop taking input from various sensors above a certain load. Having autotune run as permanent closed-loop is dangerous if the wideband sensor starts to go bad and report wrong AFRs. Changing a sensor every couple of years costs peanuts (around 80-100 USD), but when it does start reporting inaccurate AFRs, you will not know.

Even in today's age with fancy widebands, exhaust gas temperature sensors and knock monitors, good tuners still rely on ancient techniques like reading spark plugs when tuning a motor.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

Swift seems a very good option.I might go in for one or maybe a baleno.because i simply love that car's handling.

Lets see.First all focus is on your car.I will try and come over in january maybe to get a first hand experience.

More over the new 5.5L harley launch has got my attention too.hehehe
Old 15th December 2010, 19:33   #291
Senior - BHPian

Having driven the car some. I can already feel the need for better brakes. What would be a better option ?

# OE disc with tarox / wintex brake pads ?
# Slotted discs with OE brake pads ?

Which of the two would do the job better ?? Just wanted an opinion.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 23:05   #292
Senior - BHPian

you should try uprated brake pads first and then invest in the more expensive rotors if the need be.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:13   #293
BHPian

@ricky :wintex makes tissues & mintex makes pads !
Old 16th December 2010, 10:58   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsport View Post
@ricky :wintex makes tissues & mintex makes pads !

I seem to have made your day !! What kind of pads does Mintex make ? Brake pads I hope Would you also be so kind as to answer the question

Off Topic : How is the work on the Pajero progressing ? By when do you reckon I can get it ?

Thanks !!

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 16th December 2010 at 11:00.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:01   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I seem to have made your day !! What kind of pads does Mintex make ? Brake pads I hope Would you also be so kind as to answer the question

Off Topic : How is the work on the Pajero progressing ? By when do you reckon I can get it ?

Thanks !!

Wake up Sid !! Errrrrr Phil - the day passed us by & no reply cometh

May I have your divine words of wisdom, or is it wish them

BTW the Swift is returning 7.5 kmpl - which I think is pathetic. I can smell unburnt fuel from the tailpipe. So obviously it needs looking into

@navpreet
Thanks for the advice which is fortunately in my line of thought. Will do that & then see, where it takes me !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 16th December 2010 at 21:15.
Old 17th December 2010, 03:07   #296
BHPian

if you can smell fuel,it could be that your tuner is wise and has kept the afr's a bit conservative gone towards the richer side,being too rich on the other hand isnt good either because the fuel will wash off the oil from your cylinder walls,the piston/piston rings wouldn't appreciate that too much,lol,anyways seems like a good setup nothing that a little bit of fine tuning cant handle,hope for the best,cheers,happy revving..!
Old 17th December 2010, 11:32   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
if you can smell fuel,it could be that your tuner is wise and has kept the afr's a bit conservative gone towards the richer side,being too rich on the other hand isnt good either because the fuel will wash off the oil from your cylinder walls,the piston/piston rings wouldn't appreciate that too much,lol,anyways seems like a good setup nothing that a little bit of fine tuning cant handle,hope for the best,cheers,happy revving..!

I am sure it will be sorted out !! That is not really a concern.

It was more a shock & less a concern actually. With Petrol selling at Rs.59+ it tends to make you sit up & take notice, though once the car is doing it's thing one forgets the more trivial things like fuel consumption.

Actually I think I have been thoroughly spoilt as I have been driving super efficient diesels way too long

Having said that the car is a hoot to drive.

Cheerio
Old 19th December 2010, 20:55   #298
Senior - BHPian

OK here is how I percieve the car after the Turbocharging.

Drive - B R I L L I A N T

# Totally driveable in bumper to bumper traffic, can pretend to be a stock car easily.
# The fuel mixture is rich. That needs to be fixed. I was told TC'd cars return better than NA mileage, but this is giving me 7.5 kmpl. That is a disappointment, though the rush makes you forget about it.
# The engine runs silk smooth - no complaints
# The TEIN suspension is another level, expensive but NICE
# Touches 200 kmph without a problem
# Needs to have upgraded brakes, to run at full potential, unless one stays within 120 - 140 kmph
# Can beat the crap out of many a car costing 3 to 4 times more.
# Handling is superb due to the TEIN setup primarily, ofcourse the Swift always handled well.
# Will need new tyres earlier than it would have
# Upside is EVERYTHING is available here itself, so no costly imports involved.

So far so good.

Updates as we go along. The most worthwhile money spent on mods till date.

Cheerio

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 19th December 2010 at 20:56.
Old 19th December 2010, 21:20   #299
BHPian

@ricky: good to hear that its all worth while after all .
regarding fuel efficiency, if you drive off boost it WILL give you normal fuel efficiency. if you keep spooling the turbo up then it will give you less. now beat that-driving off boost
Old 19th December 2010, 21:38   #300
Senior - BHPian

For the brakes, I recommend the Hawk brake pads.
Quite a few Bhpians in Chennai use them.
Track day boys 'yzfrj' and 'hirevbg' love it.
Superb performance and good VFM too.
Check it out: http://www.pjspeedshop.com/BrakePads.asp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks