Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 16:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

I need to fix aux lamps on my 2010 swift Vdi.Can anyone suggest me a workshop in Mumbai where i can get the job done?
Old 27th June 2013, 22:05   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It really looks good & i'm sure the light is also excellent. By the way, have you painted the weld joint with at least a primer? Any weld is a red carpet welcome to oxidization (rust). Please do cover it if not already done.
Yes, primer coating was done on all the weld surfaces.
And I covered up the yellow primer with some black paint as well.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:27   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I need to fix aux lamps on my 2010 swift Vdi.Can anyone suggest me a workshop in Mumbai where i can get the job done?
Apologies
Hey, absolutely no offence meant & not even referring to you individually. So please don't mind.
But, in general all Swift / Ritz owners always mention their car as Swift VDi / Ritz VDi. So much so, that it feels like the de-facto name of the car, inclusive of the VDi.

Apologies for the OT. And again - NOM.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Apologies
Hey, absolutely no offence meant & not even referring to you individually. So please don't mind.
But, in general all Swift / Ritz owners always mention their car as Swift VDi / Ritz VDi. So much so, that it feels like the de-facto name of the car, inclusive of the VDi.

Apologies for the OT. And again - NOM.
No offense taken at all.The reason why i mentioned as "Vdi" is because of the presence of the intercooler beside the radiator (irrelevant whether its a ldi,vdi or zdi) .In the petrol swift the space is void hence ample space to play around.Wheras in Diesel the gap between the cross member and the intercooler is less.Plus i do not want to block/alter the airflow.Hence i specified the term "Vdi".Hope i have made myself clear.

Moral of the story-Just wanted to convey its an oil burner

Mods-Please delete if its a deviating topic.
Back to the topic.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 28th June 2013 at 10:59.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 16:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
1. What is the diff between spot beam and driving beam? What is the advantage of one over the other?
2. For Hatchback (Spark) do you recommend any other compact models from neolite?
3. Are they available online / do you know where i can get these in bangalore?
4. Does it come with wiring, Relay? If not, what config of wiring and Relay do you recommend?
5.I am running on stock headlamps. What bulb config do you think would amplify the output of the auxiliary lamps? Legal and should not bind the oncoming traffic.
  • Spot beam is a simply a narrow round beam which is focused at longer distance. Driving lamp gives a wider beam pattern help full to see whole width of the road. google it for more info.
  • Go for driving beam pattern. (i recommend neo1010 but those will be big for spark.)
  • AFAIK not available online. (dont know about availability in bangalore)
  • No. (use polycab 1.5sq mm multi strand wire with roots/bosch/minda/ lumax relay)
  • Get a pair of 55/60w osram night barker H4 (its legal) + hella 55W h3 for Aux lamp (will be reliable combo , 100W h3 will not last long.)
FYI Auxiliary lamps are illegal.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 8th July 2013, 16:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
FYI Auxiliary lamps are illegal.

rgds,
Nikhil
Axiliary lamps are illegal if they happen to be above the height of the main driving beam / light source of the car.

Below is fine.

Regards
Old 7th November 2013, 20:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

This time i decided to try a different brand than Hella when i decided to get a new set of aux lamps for my Swift. I had Rallye 3003 compact before but sold it off a while back. These are my new aux lamps...

KC Hilites Apollo Pro 6" Driving beams
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc_0179.jpg
Integrated grills
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc_0185.jpg
Good quality wiring kit
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc_0180.jpg
Pre terminated water resistant connectors
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc_0195.jpg
Rear with wires
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc_0192.jpg

The housing is plastic (kc calls it polymax), there are no screws to take the light apart, they are light in weight compared to Ralllye 3003 compacts, reflector looks like they're metal where as 3003 compact had plastic reflector with glass lens, grils are good things to have because these are vulnerable otherwise and grill is integrated so need not worry about it being nicked by a casual thief.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 22:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have got two LED Spots and two Hella 500FFs. Now the mounting position is giving me headaches. I did not want them to protrude too much out of the front bumper line but it seems the Hellas will have to protrude out. I removed the bumper to find anchor points. Now the front looks like the first picture. For mounting options, if I mount them the way in pics 2 and 3 the hellas tend to go above the headlights. Not that it matters here anyway, but there is a reason why they are supposed be mounted below the headlight level. So I am thinking of mounting the hellas inverted and the spots in between. Would that be enough to light up the road ahead? I plan on using the spots with low beam and the Hellas with High Beams during late night highway runs. One way would be to mount them with a custom made light bar but it may look odd running all the way across. Second option is to custom make it out of iron angle and mount it flush on top of the cross member behind the front grill with individual welded plates coming from it for the lights. Another option could be to just mount the holding plates individually to the circled holes and run them through the front grills for individual lights. But would that make them prone to vibrations? Please give your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-dsc08406.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-dsc08422.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-dsc08423.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-dsc08425.jpg  

Old 11th November 2013, 09:18   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This time i decided to try a different brand than Hella when i decided to get a new set of aux lamps for my Swift. I had Rallye 3003 compact before but sold it off a while back. These are my new aux lamps...
The housing is plastic (kc calls it polymax), there are no screws to take the light apart, they are light in weight compared to Ralllye 3003 compacts, reflector looks like they're metal where as 3003 compact had plastic reflector with glass lens, grils are good things to have because these are vulnerable otherwise and grill is integrated so need not worry about it being nicked by a casual thief.
Excellent stuff.From where did you procure them?Mind sharing the cost?From the pic,I see it comes with a 23 year warranty

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th November 2013 at 09:21.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I have got two LED Spots and two Hella 500FFs. Now the mounting position is giving me headaches. I did not want them to protrude too much out of the front bumper line but it seems the Hellas will have to protrude out. I removed the bumper to find anchor points. Now the front looks like the first picture. For mounting options, if I mount them the way in pics 2 and 3 the hellas tend to go above the headlights. Not that it matters here anyway, but there is a reason why they are supposed be mounted below the headlight level. So I am thinking of mounting the hellas inverted and the spots in between. Would that be enough to light up the road ahead? I plan on using the spots with low beam and the Hellas with High Beams during late night highway runs. One way would be to mount them with a custom made light bar but it may look odd running all the way across. Second option is to custom make it out of iron angle and mount it flush on top of the cross member behind the front grill with individual welded plates coming from it for the lights. Another option could be to just mount the holding plates individually to the circled holes and run them through the front grills for individual lights. But would that make them prone to vibrations? Please give your suggestions.
Since you will be driving a lot in the hills you should also be careful of not blocking airflow to the radiator. So try & position the Hellas & LEDs accordingly. Make a custom bracket using the identified holes & have sub-brackets for each of the lights.

Also it may be better to make something el-cheapo & finalise the positions before making the final bracket. And finalise only after extensive night testing on the worst lit roads u drive on.

By the way- where did you get the LED spots? Price & brand details would be welcome.
Old 11th November 2013, 20:39   #101
Senior - BHPian

The LEDs were picked up from ebay. Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-27w-Led...39fc0c&vxp=mtr

I got them shipped through a friend who was coming to India.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally installed comet 500
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img_5427.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-20131101_164327.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 15th November 2013 at 09:54.
Old 17th November 2013, 18:29   #103
sun
BHPian

Hi sankar, nice set of lamps. Have you got around to fixing it yet. would love to see it in real.

Where did you sell off the hellas ? Classifieds here ?

Roopesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

KC Hilites Apollo Pro 6" Driving beams
Attachment 1162832
Integrated grills
Attachment 1162833
Good quality wiring kit
Attachment 1162834
Pre terminated water resistant connectors
Attachment 1162835
Rear with wires
Attachment 1162837

Old 18th November 2013, 22:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions in Chennai for aux lights? I don't think its going to look pretty on the Jazz. Is it possible uninstall when not in use? I dont have an option to install the fog lamps on the bumper.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:45   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Finally installed comet 500
Hi Rakesh

Your install is looking decent and not out of place for a swift.

I want to know your experience with the install and i have a few questions. I had posted the same on another thread as under :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...500-ff-17.html

please see post 253,254 and 255 and you wil understand the queries in my mind.

I have already fabricated the clamp in such a way that there is no welding required . The clamps are already made . I somehow didnt have time to install them yet.
I am planning to bolt the clamps at the top of the Radiator assembly(there is a metal frame which also holds the radiator in place (top of radiator )(the bumper is also bolted to that frame) and then the Clamp goes behind/ inside the front grill and then the lamp bolting tip of the clamp just peeps out from the smiley grill( besides TATA logo).
(exactly the way it looks from outside in your swift
The wiring is also ready . Just the final installation is ready

The advantage with this plan
1) i felt was that the Bumper is still the 1st contact point in case of a small nudge.
2)The Aux lights (Comet 500 FFs are installed at height exactly the same as stock headlights
I also plan to fit the lights only when planning to do night higway drives.
I have planned the wiring in such a way that i have put male female connectors in the wiring just next to the lamps. (these connectors are the same that come in HID KITS)
The plan is to unscrew the lights and keep it in the boot unless any night highway drives is on the cards.

I also want to ask you

1)How is beam pattern and throw? have you used it at night on the highways yet? can you share your experience?
I want visibility to maintain 80-100-110kmph speed on highways in the night
on those highway stretches where you don't have fellow motorists to follow and get guided on the path.
2)Is my plan to unfit and fit the lights frequently (say once a month)
feasible?I don't know how ill i get the beam alignment and focusing right every time i fit & install the lights back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks