Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 19:52   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not likely. That is HID / Halogen territory. LED's would mostly be at 6000k & above.
The combination is unlikely or uncommon but LEDs are are available in all colour temperatures, not just 6500k and above. You get 2700-3000k, 4200k, 5500k quite commonly in white along with 6500k.
Old 21st October 2016, 19:56   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The combination is unlikely or uncommon but LEDs are are available in all colour temperatures, not just 6500k and above. You get 2700-3000k, 4200k, 5500k quite commonly in white along with 6500k.
Techinically it is possible. I was refering to car lighting .. havent seen at 4300k. If there is a good LED set up at 4300k, do post the links .. would ike to try it out
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 20:01   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Techinically it is possible. I was refering to car lighting .. havent seen at 4300k. If there is a good LED set up at 4300k, do post the links .. would ike to try it out
Are you talking about bulb replacements, OEM LED headlights or Auxillary lamps as being discussed ?

LED bulbs replacements are mostly rubbish anyways so avoid them, OEM LED headlights I have no clue about. But Aux LED lights are available in 3000K and 4200K quite easily. 6500K is just the most common and popular colour I guess because of the 'cool bluish white looks' and also probably they are cheaper to manufacture.
Old 22nd October 2016, 06:29   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Are these Combination LED light bars available in 3000k for the spread beam and 4200k for the spot beam ?
Almost all led bars are 6500K. If you want the change the temperature add an external tint film.

One layer of the film will bring the temperature down to 4500 or so. If you want 3000K buy an Amber plastic cover for the portion you want. Or apply 2 layers of the film.

This is a photo of my cube with 1 layer of film. The film roll is in the background.
Auxiliary Lamps-img_20161022_061708.jpg

I have also applied one layer of the film to my Grand Vitara's fog lamp lens. So I get a light output closer to 2700K that the normal 3300K
The following shows a night time shot of the fog lamp lighting of 2 GVs. The one on the right is with the tint applied:-
Auxiliary Lamps-comparo-fogs.jpg

And a daytime frontal shot:-
Auxiliary Lamps-2-gvscomp.jpg
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:58   #215
Senior - BHPian

I think they are available with 4200K LEDs rather than having a tint. 6500K is just the most common colour for white light in general, for example our tubelights 90% are 6500k or Cool Daylight. I guess its similar with LEDs, also cheaper to produce since white LEDs are blue LEDS with a Yellow phosphor, so it might be cheaper to produce 6500K since they require less phosphor
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:45   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post

Almost ---snip----:-

And a daytime frontal shot:-
Is this actually effective? I have a 120w bar on my car, but I find it washed out occasionally. Putting a film would lower the amount of light escaping, but the temperature is more apt for seeing. So is the loss acceptable? And what kind of film?
Old 24th October 2016, 09:52   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is this actually effective? I have a 120w bar on my car, but I find it washed out occasionally. Putting a film would lower the amount of light escaping, but the temperature is more apt for seeing. So is the loss acceptable? And what kind of film?
Putting on a tint film does reduce peripheral glare. "thewhiteknight" has just got a 120W 5D combo bar and was testing the throw. Glare for oncoming vehicles was terrible. Amber covers cuts out the glare to a large extent.

Regarding temperature, I prefer neutral daylight (mild yellowish) lights. That would be in the range of 3800-4300K. I guess it is the result of 40 years of driving with filament bulbs.
"thewhiteknight" prefers slightly more whitish light (around 5000K).
But we are both agreed that for fog situations yellow, around 3000K, is the best. And that is why I have applied the tint film to the halogen fog lens.

So temperature depends on personal choice. But as far as drivability is concerned it is the intensity of lighting and what I call "contrast ratio" that is important.

Contrast Ratio is the amount of light, particularly for high beams, used that does not result in your night vision getting affected when switching the beam on & off. A decent ratio will help highlight objects when you flash your high beams. I have found that to be the most effective way of night driving, particularly when you have oncoming two wheelers.

If your near lights are too intense(in terms of the amount of light they throw on the ground) then you run the risk of upsetting your contrast ratio vision.

Hopefully "thewhiteknight" & I will be able to complete our aux lighting installs over Diwali. Will post photos then.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:21   #218
BHPian

looking to put some Aux Led for my Xylo.
kindly provide your suggestions on feasible options:

a) one 200w 5D 20" CREE (42 x 5w) combo (flood-spot-flood) bar. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

b) two x 60w 5D 7" (12 x 5w) Spot 30deg. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

regards,
Old 26th October 2016, 08:51   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
looking to put some Aux Led for my Xylo.
kindly provide your suggestions on feasible options:

a) one 200w 5D 20" CREE (42 x 5w) combo (flood-spot-flood) bar. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

b) two x 60w 5D 7" (12 x 5w) Spot 30deg. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

regards,
The 200W 5D combo bar is overkill for road use. It should only be used for off-road. Scatter from the floods will only blind oncoming traffic!!

The 60W spot looks like a better choice.

Hold your horses for a couple of days. By then we will have completed our installs and can post a comparo of 120w 5D combo (30& 60 degrees) vs. 4D spot (pure10 degree).
Old 9th November 2016, 22:05   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Could you post some photos of the light throw of the led bar.
Thanks
There you go buddy, this is actually pointing a little low so that the oncoming traffic is not blinded.

Only Halogen 100/90 in High

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20161102_000633.jpg

The LED bar in action, makes the night drive much more comfortable.

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20161102_000642.jpg
LionX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 18:59   #221
BHPian

Hi friends. Need help . I am planning to install fog lamps or auxiliary lights ( don't even know if there is a difference between the two ) on my O'ranger the duster. Mainly the requirement is for highway driving, hill driving and sometimes city driving ( when its foggy). Kindly suggest which ones to install. Also any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Muneeb
Old 31st January 2017, 15:53   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Hi friends. Need help . I am planning to install fog lamps or auxiliary lights ( don't even know if there is a difference between the two ) on my O'ranger the duster. Mainly the requirement is for highway driving, hill driving and sometimes city driving ( when its foggy). Kindly suggest which ones to install. Also any other suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Muneeb
This thread will be useful for your query-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rket-horn.html
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:42   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
This thread will be useful for your query-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rket-horn.html
Thanks bro. This thread talks about the hella 3003 mainly. I am keen on knowing more about auxiliary lighting suitable for the conditions mentioned by me before. So please do keep me posted on more options if you come across any.
Old 2nd February 2017, 06:37   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Thanks bro. This thread talks about the hella 3003 mainly. I am keen on knowing more about auxiliary lighting suitable for the conditions mentioned by me before. So please do keep me posted on more options if you come across any.
I will try to keep this as simple as possible.

Auxiliary/driving: These lamps are the one that are typically used to enhance the range/throw of a beam of high intensity light. These should be mounted in such a way that you do not end up blinding the oncoming traffic. Although I have seen an increasing number of people using these auxiliary lamps in India however all these lamps do is to blind the oncoming traffic.

Fog lamps: These provide a wide beam with clear cut off at top. These are generally aimed low so that they illuminate the area closer to the vehicle especially when the visibility is poor such as during fog/heavy rains etc.

The kind of conditions that you have mentioned (highway/city/foggy/hill) require a combination of lights (auxiliary for highway, Fog lamps for foggy/rainy conditions). However my humble suggestion is to stay away from these as your OEM headlamps should be more than adequate to handle these conditions.

I have been driving for past 22 years all across India including Himachal/Uttrakhand and 12 years in North America that included heavy snow/fog and extremely low temperatures right down to -38C and have never felt the need. Even if I wanted to the law here does not permit the use of auxiliary lamps on public highways.

If you intend to make frequent visits to hilly areas & are very keen to install one set of extra lamps I would suggest fog lamps.

Although there are many reputable manufacturers across the world I’m not sure about their availability in Indian market. I am given to understand that good brands such as Lightforce, KC Lights etc. are available in India and you may explore their range of fog lamps.

One manufacturer that has a major presence in India is Hella and I have heard a lot of good things about their products. One of my friends here has mounted a set of Hella Rallye 4000 fog lamps on his Jeep Wrangler and these are very good. Auxiliary Lamps-rallye_4000_fog_03.jpgAuxiliary Lamps-rallye_4000_fog_01.jpg

A word of caution though; these lamps are huge almost 9 inches in diameter & would cost close to Rs 20,000 for a pair. Hella also markets Comet 450/500/550 series of fog lamps in India.

Auxiliary Lamps-hella-comet-series.png

I'm enclosing a list of Hella dealers in J&K for your reference.

Auxiliary Lamps-hella-dealers.png

*Source - Hella website
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 15:44   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I will try to keep this as simple as possible.

Auxiliary/driving: These lamps are the one that are typically used to enhance the range/throw of a beam of high intensity light. These should be mounted in such a way that you do not end up blinding the oncoming traffic. Although I have seen an increasing number of people using these auxiliary lamps in India however all these lamps do is to blind the oncoming traffic.

Fog lamps: These provide a wide beam with clear cut off at top. These are generally aimed low so that they illuminate the area closer to the vehicle especially when the visibility is poor such as during fog/heavy rains etc.

However my humble suggestion is to stay away from these as your OEM headlamps should be more than adequate to handle these conditions.

If you intend to make frequent visits to hilly areas & are very keen to install one set of extra lamps I would suggest fog lamps.

One manufacturer that has a major presence in India is Hella and I have heard a lot of good things about their products.
Dear Vikram.
Thank you so much for taking out time and explaining to me in detail. It gave me a lot of clarity. I would never use any kind of lights that would blind the oncoming traffic. I absolutely hate drivers who don't use dipper and blind the oncoming traffic.
I have replaced my OEM lights with powerful Phillips 130 and that has improved the long range visibility to a great extent. The standard 55w OEM bulbs are just not sufficient for the Indian road conditions. I would go with your suggestion and install either Hella or Light Force Fog Lamps.

The main reason for me to have an extra pair of lights which give me a clear vision during night driving in rainy or foggy conditions, and it will give me an ease of driving with better vision on broken and winding roads hence reducing driver fatigue. Especially while driving in hilly terrains the weather and road conditions get often tricky.
Just to give you a quick update i have moved from J&K and i am now living in Gurgaon.
Thanks again for all the help. Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks