Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 17:31   #1636
BHPian

Hi friend , What were you doing in my side of town. Any way can some one tell me if OSRAM 60/55 5000k is any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Had a chance to drive at night on the Golden Quadrilateral between Srikakulam and Vizag, and was running the same Philips bulbs.... and had a change of opinion.

The high beam is pretty effective when there is less oncoming traffic. Probably if the light is white instead of the blue tinge due to the blue ring, it should be more effective...
Old 6th May 2008, 13:03   #1637
BHPian

white lights for alto

Hai guys please help find decent white lights for my alto. Please also advise me on the wattage and other necessary details that i need to know before i purchase them.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:42   #1638
BHPian

let's brand it

Hi Guys
Pardon me if this is not the right place to "park" this thread.
We all talk bout upgrades and should do this and that, but in the lightening context, we haven't branded some of the stuff up till yet. Maybe I haven't searched thoroughly but wouldn't it be a nice idea if we could have a thread which would suggest different brands. For eg, i'm looking forward for upgrading the lights on my honda city (2005 model) but i don't know which relay to put in. Should i go for philips or halonix? who is a good mechanic in Delhi/Gurgaon etc.

What do you say team BHP?
Cheers
M2S
Old 6th May 2008, 19:04   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hi Guys
Pardon me if this is not the right place to "park" this thread.
We all talk bout upgrades and should do this and that, but in the lightening context, we haven't branded some of the stuff up till yet. Maybe I haven't searched thoroughly but wouldn't it be a nice idea if we could have a thread which would suggest different brands. For eg, i'm looking forward for upgrading the lights on my honda city (2005 model) but i don't know which relay to put in. Should i go for philips or halonix? who is a good mechanic in Delhi/Gurgaon etc.

What do you say team BHP?
Cheers
M2S
Hey Speed's husband, there have been a lot of brands suggested in this thread, read dude read !!

Go for the Roots kit 100/130W with ceramic holders (and Philips or Halonix are not an option for you), and try out the bulbs before you buy them. There, simple!

Any good, simple, reliable mechanic/workshop will be able to change these for you, its a possible DIY as well.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:39   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Hey Speed's husband, there have been a lot of brands suggested in this thread, read dude read !!

Go for the Roots kit 100/130W with ceramic holders (and Philips or Halonix are not an option for you), and try out the bulbs before you buy them. There, simple!

Any good, simple, reliable mechanic/workshop will be able to change these for you, its a possible DIY as well.
Hi AA
Thanks for the insight. Tried searching the forum/site but guess must have been speeding too much so missed the tag. Would you please help me by pointing towards the quote/tag.

and reason for requesting good mechanic is that there are so many people who give different advice, just wanted to double check what an expert would have to say especially for 130/100w kit for honda city. Some say that the reflectors melt due to the excessive heat. ( on Merc has 100/130 as OE)
I had a relay installed recently under hood and after a couple of days of use, the lights won't turn off even with no switch on. Apparently one guy mentioned that it's possible that the relay point gets stuck due to the heat (happens in poor quality stuff)

thanks for the info
Drive safe
Old 6th May 2008, 22:12   #1641
BHPian

Hi friends, Which is the best bulb for highways in H4 55/60 watts. Looking to change the bulbs for Pajero,
Old 7th May 2008, 00:25   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
there are so many people who give different advice, just wanted to double check what an expert would have to say especially for 130/100w kit for honda city

Roots is the most dependable / easily available and reliable kit in the market. It's mentioned in the forum that the kit and ceramic holders cost INR 700.

Quote:
Some say that the reflectors melt due to the excessive heat.
Stick to 90/100 bulbs and you are good to go. 100/130w bulbs are bound to melt the sockets and damage the reflectors.

Quote:
I had a relay installed recently under hood and after a couple of days of use, the lights won't turn off even with no switch on. Apparently one guy mentioned that it's possible that the relay point gets stuck due to the heat (happens in poor quality stuff)
There, you answered your own question. Get quality stuff, the forum mentions all good stuff, and warns about all bad ones!

Ok as far as the mechanic goes, in Gurgaon, go to the M.A.S.S Qutub Motors near the Galleria market.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:49   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay shekar View Post
Hi friends, Which is the best bulb for highways in H4 55/60 watts. Looking to change the bulbs for Pajero,
Osram Nightbreaker. approx Rs. 1600/- or Philips Crystal Vision. Rs. 900/- approx.

Avoid the Blue light or bulbs with Blue ring / coatings.

cheers.
Old 7th May 2008, 14:30   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Osram Nightbreaker. approx Rs. 1600/- or Philips Crystal Vision. Rs. 900/- approx.

Avoid the Blue light or bulbs with Blue ring / coatings.

cheers.
Osram Nightbreaker is better than Silverplus ?
Old 7th May 2008, 14:45   #1645
Team-BHP Support

Osram silverstar +50 has much better life than the +80 or +90 bulbs
Stick to that as our highway conditions involve frequent dipper and fullbeam.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:07   #1646
Team-BHP Support

Nightbreaker's are very expensive and are known to have a shorter life span.

Either change to 90/100W setup with wiring and relays or get some better 55/60W like Osram silverstar costing 350 a pair or Philips vision plus costing 480 a pair.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:15   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Nightbreaker's are very expensive and are known to have a shorter life span.

Either change to 90/100W setup with wiring and relays or get some better 55/60W like Osram silverstar costing 350 a pair or Philips vision plus costing 480 a pair.
Wont 90/100 watts bulbs burn the lens/reflector in city driving conditions?
Old 7th May 2008, 15:39   #1648
BHPian

Ok as far as the mechanic goes, in Gurgaon, go to the M.A.S.S Qutub Motors near the Galleria market.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip mate enjoy the drink cheers:
cheers!
Old 7th May 2008, 21:23   #1649
BHPian

sorta confused and not so well informed

Hi all
As advised, I visited qutab MASS and explained the mechanic the problem. The problem is as follows
Earlier, I got 90/100 installed on my honda city with a relay. The output was a lot better than the stock lights but what used to happen was that with the car turned off as well, the lights woudn't turn off. Reason atributed to this was, faulty relay. Now, that i've got the relay changed, the high beam always keeps getting fused. If i get the right one changed, the left one blows out and if i get the left one changed, the high beam of the right one blows out.
Now, what the guy said was: get the alternator checked as there is excessive current being passed. He said that the relay has nothing to do with the blowing out of the tubes.
After this comment, I called up honda and told the service advisor what i was told about. He said that this has nothing to do with the alternator and that a relay of around 500Ampere was to be installed. He said none the less, i COULD bring the car in for a check up.
Now, I'm totally confused. I got the car serviced about 2K before from honda and had there been a problem with the alternator, wouldn't have that come up during the service? Is the MASS guy taking me for a ride or should i get the alternator checked from Honda and get pinched from them?
Please help . All i want is good bright headlights for my weak vision.
Old 8th May 2008, 00:27   #1650
Team-BHP Support

Hook up a multimeter to your battery terminals and rev the car. Tell us what the voltage is.
In your case it appears that alternator is indeed surging(regulator issue).
As for service, nobody checks alternator voltage at service unless its exceptionally high

Most Viewed