Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 14:22   #8686
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
My bad, I just searched for the H8/H11 holder type.

Powerbulbs state the HB and LB as H7 and the fogs as H8.

The XV's are 3350k and offer 1500 Lumens.
Surprisingly, the WHITE VISION is 4100k and also offers 1500 lumens.

The XV and WV offer 1500 lumens but the XV are advertised as 100% brighter and the WV as 40% brighter. What sorcery is this, if they're the same lumen then I'd happily go for the WV

Which ones are you going for?
I will go for XV since whenever I have used whiter lights like Philips DV I find them reflecting back too harshly in fog and rain. To me all weather lighting is important.

Let me know through whom would you get the lights installed, need a trusted guy for that.
Old 21st December 2014, 20:55   #8687
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
I will go for XV since whenever I have used whiter lights like Philips DV I find them reflecting back too harshly in fog and rain. To me all weather lighting is important.

Let me know through whom would you get the lights installed, need a trusted guy for that.
I will get it done from the service center itself. Very nice accommodating guys.
An ebay top rated seller looks to be my choice to get the bulbs from as dealers listed on the philips website don't have XV.
There are too many fakes in the market and surprisingly eBay seems to be the best option.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Philips-X-tre...item43d015cf42
Old 21st December 2014, 23:39   #8688
BHPian

I'm looking to change the instrument cluster backlight bulb in a 00' Maruti 800 to a brighter LED one.

Could anyone please help as to what LED bulb will b compatible?
Old 22nd December 2014, 06:22   #8689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I'm looking to change the instrument cluster backlight bulb in a 00' Maruti 800 to a brighter LED one.

Could anyone please help as to what LED bulb will b compatible?
If you're looking after brightness, LEDs aren't a god option.

Why don;t you just replace the bulbs with new ones? I changed the bulbs on my cluster and the old ones were blackened and giving out lesser light despite all bulbs being functional

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-vzqawxb.jpg
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:45   #8690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
FYI I found XV unusable for that same reason.

Got them from Mr batra's shop and had a torrid time navigating the NH8 near mumbai in darkness / heavy rains and obscene oncoming traffic headlights (despite being a four lane road).

Do see how it performs in a friend's car.

Personally for me my antique six year old osram silverstar bulbs work just fine. YMMV.
Old 22nd December 2014, 08:35   #8691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Got them from Mr batra's shop and had a torrid time navigating the NH8 near mumbai in darkness / heavy rains and obscene oncoming traffic headlights (despite being a four lane road).

Personally for me my antique six year old osram silverstar bulbs work just fine. YMMV.
Thanks for the tip. I'll research a bit more then. Problem is keeping the wattage same but more light. I do lot of highway driving especially in this weather.
Also could you advice any good installer who could fabricate external harness for scorpio.
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:36   #8692
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

And the confusion keeps on growing. I think don't fix it, if it ain't broke applies in this case. I'll get my cousin to try them on his pre facelift polo TDI (base) and see how it goes.
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:47   #8693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I already have Philips Xtreme Vision (H4) bulbs for the headlights. They are quite an improvement over the stock ones. I know the fog lights are not gonna help much even if I switch bulbs, but I am thinking I can go in for white light, 5000K or so just for the aesthetics part.
Hello Aston,

I am also planning to upgrade my stock headlights to Philips 60/55 in my Sx4, I would appreciate if could tell what is actual improvement over stock bulb with Philips bulb. Also how is the visibility in rain as there are mixed reviews.

Also, I find fog lamp light useless, pls also let me know the alternative to improve it

BR

Amit

Last edited by amitpunjani : 22nd December 2014 at 23:51.
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:25   #8694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello Aston,

I am also planning to upgrade my stock headlights to Philips 60/55 in my Sx4, I would appreciate if could tell what is actual improvement over stock bulb with Philips bulb. Also how is the visibility in rain as there are mixed reviews.

Also, I find fog lamp light useless, pls also let me know the alternative to improve it

BR

Amit
Hello Amit.

The Philips Xtreme Vision (4300k) are definitely better than the stock bulbs. They will appear slightly whitish as compared to the stock bulbs, but it's a yellow beam. So this works fine during rains as well.
The color temperature (in K) should be lower for fogs, ideally, since they work better during fog and rains. But SX4 has the most horrible fog lamps ever. Absolutely useless! They are rated 35W and in that too you don't have many options. You can go in for 55W bulbs for fogs along with ballasts.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:36   #8695
BANNED

I replaced the 35W fogs in my Civic with 55W 3000K HIDs. They have made a big difference. I would advise 2700K which may be even better,
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:46   #8696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Hello Amit.

The Philips Xtreme Vision (4300k) are definitely better than the stock bulbs. They will appear slightly whitish as compared to the stock bulbs, but it's a yellow beam. So this works fine during rains as well.
The color temperature (in K) should be lower for fogs, ideally, since they work better during fog and rains. But SX4 has the most horrible fog lamps ever. Absolutely useless! They are rated 35W and in that too you don't have many options. You can go in for 55W bulbs for fogs along with ballasts.
Many thanks Aston,

So I suppose, H4 60/55 would be the safe bet.

Don't know why Maruti take so many useless shortcuts especially with Fog lamps ?
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:48   #8697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I replaced the 35W fogs in my Civic with 55W 3000K HIDs. They have made a big difference. I would advise 2700K which may be even better,
Sir, can you pls. suggest any specific bulb for my 35W Sx4 fog lamps. I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to higher wattage or wire cutting.

BR

Amit
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:56   #8698
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks Aston,

So I suppose, H4 60/55 would be the safe bet.

Don't know why Maruti take so many useless shortcuts especially with Fog lamps ?

I'm glad I could be of some help

Yes 55/60 is an absolutely safe bet. Just need to replace the bulb. Nothing else.

I guess our models are quite old, mine is a 2009 model, maybe that's why 35W fog bulbs instead of 55W.

If you ask me, leave the fogs as it is. Even if you replace it with a different 35W bulb, the difference is gonna be hardly noticeable. If you want for the aesthetics part, you can go in for Philips H8 Diamond Vision 5000k (whitish light)
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:44   #8699
BHPian

I just got XV installed in the low beam. The shop guy mentioned that it should be enough for the requirement, and I can anyways get them installed in high beam also later.

Initial impression is that there is more light than stock, but it could just be my mind justifying the new purchase. Also, the price has gone up. i paid 1400 for the set, while i was quoted 1200 a few weeks back.

Also, the guy mentioned that there is shortage of stocks on XV. I myself am doubtful about the genuineness of the bulbs, as the packaging was stapled. but I took the risk and went ahead with it. I can always go back to stock if required. btw, the stock bulbs are osram.

Will be driving on the gurgaon faridabad road tomorrow, so i will have a better idea about increase in light and whether it actually helps, as there should be some fog also later in the night.
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:01   #8700
BANNED

Quote:
Sir, can you pls. suggest any specific bulb for my 35W Sx4 fog lamps. I'm a bit apprehensive when it comes to higher wattage or wire cutting.
Theoretically, no wire cutting is involved, but I had to change the connectors on my H11 connectors as the pitch was wrong. You will find the write up on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...silver-14.html

35W/55W does not any power issues, as normal wiring and fuses can cope happily. You can get a good ac Ballast and then the bulb plugs in onto that. The bulb should have the same mount as the original, so that you do not have to change anything else. On of our members bought Hyalutek (top end) Ballasts on Alibaba. Bulbs can again be bought there or from amazon.com

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd December 2014 at 15:02.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks