Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:29   #6226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys i'm looking to upgrade the stock fog lights on my Polo to powerful one's. The stock bulb ratings are H8 type, 12V 35W. Philips doesn't make H8 bulbs, will have to look at Osram. Any suggestions of other reliable brands ?

Also, if i put in a 45w bulb, will i need a relay for it or will it just work fine ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:27   #6227
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys i'm looking to upgrade the stock fog lights on my Polo to powerful one's. The stock bulb ratings are H8 type, 12V 35W. Philips doesn't make H8 bulbs, will have to look at Osram. Any suggestions of other reliable brands ?

Also, if i put in a 45w bulb, will i need a relay for it or will it just work fine ?

Osram has the Nightbreaker plus series which are Good. To find the correct bulbs for your please visit their website at --www.osram.com/osram_com/applications/automotive/passenger-car-lighting/index.jsp---and then select your car for the right options

NKR
Old 3rd July 2012, 22:52   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKR View Post
To find the correct bulbs for your please visit their website at --www.osram.com/osram_com/applications/automotive/passenger-car-lighting/index.jsp---and then select your car for the right options

NKR
I did go through that link. According to them, Polo's stock fog light bulbs(H8) can be replaced with HB4 bulbs which have a higher wattage rating 51W vs 35W.

I wanted to reconfirm this with some experts here. Also are H8 and H11 interchangeable ?
Old 4th July 2012, 00:12   #6229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Check the glass of the bulb. If it has darkened, replace it.
No, it has not darkened at all. My question was, will the bulbs lose intensity after a few years (6 years in my context) ?
Old 4th July 2012, 00:32   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So its H27 bulbs for i20 fog lamps. Does anyone have any idea about any white lights which are H27 types? Damn I am being desperate to give my ride a pair of white eyes.
There arent many options in H27.
I had looked around for every possible bulb when i had the Accent.
A good HID is what you would need.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:52   #6231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
There arent many options in H27.
I had looked around for every possible bulb when i had the Accent.
A good HID is what you would need.
HID right you are. I have checked with one of the shops and they quoted 6.5K for HID fogs. Brand=P8(never heard of it) with 1 year warranty.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:47   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No, it has not darkened at all. My question was, will the bulbs lose intensity after a few years (6 years in my context) ?
It shouldn't check if the filament has deformed, if a little don't bother, if it has deformed a lot then it might be throwing light at wrong angles. Consider changing the bulbs then.
Old 7th July 2012, 22:13   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Want to replace the stock bulbs on my VW Polo with Osram NB+, do i have to remove the entire HL assembly or is there an easier way ?
shashank how has the NB+ been performing. i want to upgrade the lights on my zdi but i am extremely confused. Have gone through multiple posts, but cant make up my mind.

1st dilemma:

100/90 or upgrade 65/55: most of my driving will be in the city, but i want some good light. the only concern with the 100/90 is reliability of the bulbs themselves and the electrical system/warranty inspite of having a relay. also will require ceramic holders etc.

65/55: which ones. have read good and bad about both the nb+ and extreme visions. are they worth the extra bucks spent over the stock bulbs.

People who are using these upgrades on their cars pls help!
Old 8th July 2012, 11:03   #6234
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
shashank how has the NB+ been performing. i want to upgrade the lights on my zdi but i am extremely confused. Have gone through multiple posts, but cant make up my mind.

1st dilemma:

100/90 or upgrade 65/55: most of my driving will be in the city, but i want some good light. the only concern with the 100/90 is reliability of the bulbs themselves and the electrical system/warranty inspite of having a relay. also will require ceramic holders etc.

65/55: which ones. have read good and bad about both the nb+ and extreme visions. are they worth the extra bucks spent over the stock bulbs.

I used the Philips Xtreme Vision (earlier Xtreme Power) bulbs on my Alto for over three years before the low beam filaments fused in one bulb. Gave the one remaining bulb to my cousin who uses it on his bike. That one bulb is still working today after four years. The Philips Xtreme Vision is a good upgrade and will suffice for city driving. They are brighter than the stock bulbs and are a straight fit into the stock holders of the car without the need for any tweaking of the wiring harness so your warranty stays intact.

My experience with these bulbs have been good. Have done a fair bit of highway driving in the night as well and have not felt the need for a brighter setup.

I currently upgraded the stock bulbs in my Honda Brio to the same Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. They are worth the ~Rs. 850 for the set of two.
Old 9th July 2012, 11:12   #6235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1st dilemma:

If you are limited to city use, then I feel NB or NB+ would be sufficient. I had used them for four months on my SX4. However, there is just a marginal improvement in the light output and not very much noticeable. Then I lent those bulbs to a relative using an i10 and I upgraded to Philips rallye 100/90 along with relay and ceramic holder. This offers enormous improvement to the light output and night drives are much comfortable. Low beam is good enough given that the lights are focussed optimally and a flick of high beam will make the opposite vehicle, including trucks to dim their lights, which was previously a serious issue. Its been two years and no issue with either the bulb or the kit. As a precaution, I have a pair of 100/90s as well as 60/55s in the boot to revert if something goes wrong. Once you use 100/90, you will never think of 60/55 again.

I had got a wiring kit of "super" brand and installed it myself. However, the relay seemed to be sticky after repeated operations. So immediately I bought a PMP relay(preferred bosch, but not available) and fitted on the same day. Now I have kept the super relay as spare. Kit costed Rs. 450, pair of philips bulbs Rs. 300, relay ~Rs250, and a spare bosch 100/90 Rs 150.

Do not worry about warranty as you could revert back to the original setup within minutes if you faced any problem.

Last edited by audioholic : 9th July 2012 at 11:13.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:25   #6236
BHPian

I have installed Philips HID on my i10 next gen.
I have no problems with the low beam, but with the high beam i feel that the throw is very minimal. On the highways when travelling at 80 kmph and so, i see the speed bumps at almost the last moment.
I feel that when i put on the high beam, the beams from both the bulbs intersect and focus at around 8-10 feet in front of the car... Is this normal or should I get it checked? any other alternatives?
Old 9th July 2012, 12:45   #6237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I have installed Philips HID on my i10 next gen.
I have no problems with the low beam, but with the high beam i feel that the throw is very minimal. On the highways when travelling at 80 kmph and so, i see the speed bumps at almost the last moment.
I feel that when i put on the high beam, the beams from both the bulbs intersect and focus at around 8-10 feet in front of the car... Is this normal or should I get it checked? any other alternatives?
Usually it's the other way round. I feel my high beams are better and more powerful than low beams. Kindly get it checked. Might be because you are using HID's on stock reflectors. Light gets scattered in this setup. Just try getting the lights aligned. There are few outlets in Blore that does this.
BTW, I use HID's with projectors so the output will be entirely different when compared to your setup.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:47   #6238
BHPian

Can you suggest a place in Blore which can help me?

Can projectors be installed on the i10's headlamp cluster without difficulty? And any idea how much it will cost?
Old 11th July 2012, 15:34   #6239
BHPian

I have made up my mind to go for the 100/90 setup.

Enquired at the dealership and even they do it and said warranty will not be affected. However they said it will cost about 2.5k!

Enquired with a local mechanic and he said it will come to about 1.3k including wiring, relay, bulbs etc. is this pricing ok?

Also, he said Bosch systems the wiring has been giving problems and suggested I go for roots. Any suggestions there?
Old 11th July 2012, 18:03   #6240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have made up my mind to go for the 100/90 setup.
Sorry, i hadn't logged in as i was out of town. Good decision to go with the 90/100 setup. It'll cost you the same as Osram NB+ but you get far better illumination with the 90/100 setup, NB+ is no match really.

If its only in-city driving the NB+ is good enough, but for the highways its only slightly better than stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks