Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 17:30   #6301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
This one might be a little weird.

I have a few of the blue LED parking light (wedge type) lying around. I want to attach them to the rear co-axials. What I mean is, I want to wire them up to the same wires that connect to the speakers, so that they light up when the speakers are powered. The speakers are in the boot. The purpose is nothing but just adding to the bling factor.

Two questions.
1. Will this work? Can the bulbs be lit by the power coming through the speaker signals from the HU?
2. Is it safe? I have two doubts regarding this. Firstly, is there a chance that the current through the wires would blow the LEDs? Secondly, will the low resistance of the bulb cause a short in the speaker wires, and thus blow the fuse in the HU?

Thanks in advance.
You will be lucky if the current blows up the LEDs, as I feel that the opposite will happen. Though I cant explain in theory perfectly, please stay away from such a thing. LEDs are diodes which have a specific knee voltage. Untill the voltage reaches the knee level, they act as open circuits. Once the input to the LEDs crosses the knee level, say 0.7V, they act as short circuits, with practically very very less resistance. That, I feel is good enough to blow the HU. As there is a sudden surge in current across the LED for a minute increase in signal voltage.

If the above theory is stupid, then at least your sound output will change

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I had 4300 HIDs on my K2 i10 and changed them to OSRAM's night breakers yesterday.

Disadvantages of HIDs which i faced.

1. Very bad visibility when it rains heavily.
2. The lights actually reflect off the water layer on the roads which leads to less visibility.
3. Even in normal conditions high beam throw is bad.

Maybe it was just that the headlights of the i10 are not built for HIDs.
No matter what light you have, visiblity during rains is quite poor not because light reflects off the water layer but the road is pitch black which does not reflect any light.

Last edited by audioholic : 6th August 2012 at 17:33.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 17:38   #6302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I had 4300 HIDs on my K2 i10 and changed them to OSRAM's night breakers yesterday.

Disadvantages of HIDs which i faced.

1. Very bad visibility when it rains heavily.
2. The lights actually reflect off the water layer on the roads which leads to less visibility.
3. Even in normal conditions high beam throw is bad.

Maybe it was just that the headlights of the i10 are not built for HIDs.

HIDs in stock reflectors?
youre bound to get more of scatter, less of focus.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:10   #6303
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
HIDs in stock reflectors?
youre bound to get more of scatter, less of focus.
Possibly you did not realign either. This will make things even worse. I also hear that the Chinese HIDs are often not properly set with regards to the discharge zone.
Old 7th August 2012, 15:18   #6304
BHPian

WagonR Bulb Issue

There are 2 issues with bulbs of 2008 wagonR:
1. front right bulb works only on high beam. i can see a tiny bulb working properly though(on the lowermost corner of headlamp).
2. brake lights not working on rear right bulb, although the night light does work.

Not sure if only these bulbs needs to be replaced or wiring is to be fixed.
in case only bulbs are problematic, does it make sense to replace all bulbs so as to avoid further issues (like battery damage).
any recommendations?

Lately, I am feeling that the MASS center at mundhwa is interested in inflating the servicing bills.
So any pricing details would surely help me to keep tab on service centre guys
Old 7th August 2012, 16:54   #6305
Distinguished - BHPian

The low beam filament of the headlamp would have fused. A DIY replacement is the best way out. Same for the brake lights too. A phillips brake light costed me less than fifty and the headlamp costs less than 100 a piece.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 09:37   #6306
BANNED

Re: WagonR Bulb Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
1. front right bulb works only on high beam. i can see a tiny bulb working properly though(on the lowermost corner of headlamp).
2. brake lights not working on rear right bulb, although the night light does work.
1. Could be the parking light bulb.
2. Replacing bulbs in brake lights is easy. Just check if it is a combined with the parking light, then you will have to get a dual filament bulb. The exact nos should be in the user's handbook. A WagonR being a common animal the parts dealers should also know.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 12:04   #6307
Senior - BHPian

Is it safe to open a headlight and reseal it for retrofitting of a Projector.
I have been toying with this idea,however,the fact that headlights might get ruined due to water and other elements puts me off.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:13   #6308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is it safe to open a headlight and reseal it for retrofitting of a Projector.
I have been toying with this idea,however,the fact that headlights might get ruined due to water and other elements puts me off.
Make sure you open the headlights in some clean area free from dust. I have opened my headlights to rectify a problem with my projectors. Once done, seal the headlight casing using silicon gel or any other sealants. You might observe formation of mist inside the assembly for couple of days. This is due to the air trapped inside. Will be normal after couple of days. The main thing is to seal it properly. Else water might seep in.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 12:16   #6309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Make sure you open the headlights in some clean area free from dust. I have opened my headlights to rectify a problem with my projectors. Once done, seal the headlight casing using silicon gel or any other sealants. You might observe formation of mist inside the assembly for couple of days. This is due to the air trapped inside. Will be normal after couple of days. The main thing is to seal it properly. Else water might seep in.
Thanks a Lot,another query,is this process reversible?
As in if i want to get back to halogens,will i be able to do so,using the same headlamp unit?
Old 8th August 2012, 12:22   #6310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a Lot,another query,is this process reversible?
As in if i want to get back to halogens,will i be able to do so,using the same headlamp unit?
As long as you dont cut the reflectors you can bring it back. There are projectors that can fit onto the existing holder position Just remove the stock holders and fit the projectors. In some, you need to cut the holder portion to fit the bigger projectors. It basically varies depending on the projectors. If you are planning to come back to halogens in the future, just try getting these. I have seen many cars with this. Just double check this.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:32   #6311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As long as you dont cut the reflectors you can bring it back. There are projectors that can fit onto the existing holder position Just remove the stock holders and fit the projectors. In some, you need to cut the holder portion to fit the bigger projectors. It basically varies depending on the projectors. If you are planning to come back to halogens in the future, just try getting these. I have seen many cars with this. Just double check this.
Thanks again,and one last query
this is going to be for a linea,which has a twin HL setup.
what kind of projectors and HID should i be looking for.
and i am thinking of retaining halogen for the high beam.
Makes sense?
Old 8th August 2012, 12:39   #6312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again,and one last query
this is going to be for a linea,which has a twin HL setup.
what kind of projectors and HID should i be looking for.
and i am thinking of retaining halogen for the high beam.
Makes sense?
Not sure about the projector specs. Basically, you need to check the bulb configuration. Different projectors have different bulbs configurations. For instance, my Swift stock runs on H4 but my projectors run on H9. Many make this mistake. They buy HID's before getting the projectors based on the stock bulb configuration. When they get the projectors, this might have a different configuration. So just check the projectors before getting the HID's.

This kind of setup is very common for example Laura got this similar setup.
Projectors - Low Beam
Normal Halogen - High beam

Go for 4300k HID's if you looking for the best visibility output.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:26   #6313
BHPian

Looking to upgrade the lighting on my swift 1.3L. The stock is very inadequate for night drives. I usually start for Mysore from Bangalore on fridays around 20:30 and start to Bangalore at around the same time on Sunday. I have 90/100 bulbs but they are still not very confidence inspiring. I need to know if there is any HID kit for swift or do i need to go for axillary setup?
Old 8th August 2012, 23:37   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Need help friends.

I have VW Vento with PMP Relays and Philips 100/90 bulb.

Today it happened, while driving there was no low beam, only high beam in LHS. RHS bulb was having just slight illumination. Checked the two fuse in the relay. Both of them were slightly melted.

Changed them. Low beam now works for LHS and even high beam. But RHS, absolutely nothing. Just slight illumination(equivalent to that of a burning candle).

So what could be the problem. Is the relay gone bad or the bulb is out. The filament on the bulb looked intact to naked eye. Bulbs are just 5 months old, Philips EssentialVision 100/90.

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2012, 08:22   #6315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Need help friends.

So what could be the problem. Is the relay gone bad or the bulb is out. The filament on the bulb looked intact to naked eye. Bulbs are just 5 months old, Philips EssentialVision 100/90.
Did you try switching the bulb from the LHS to the RHS and then check...
Also, not so sure about the Vento, but in other vehicles I've had, there's usually at least two fuses per bulb.
Also, I'm not sure about the relay that may have been installed along with the harness when you upgraded to the 100/90.

Last edited by triedeverything : 9th August 2012 at 08:24.

Most Viewed