Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 08:39   #7801
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir.sharda View Post
Hey guys, I have a question.

The headlights of my 2006 Innova seems to have faded out, I did get the halogens changed about a year ago but the beam is not satisfactory. Should I get new genuine headlights from Toyota or get Aftermarket Projectors installed.?

The projectors are costing about ₹ 18000 and I don't have an idea about the genuine ones.

Thanks
Can you post a picture?

Seems like a polishing job to me!
Old 6th December 2013, 10:41   #7802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post

I hope you are meaning like the ones attached below.

We do get it widely in India!
There are many in Vizag and Delhi who are experts in the work.
Well, I thought anarchy was asking just for the DRL strips and not for installation. Most of the mods experts get these from alixpress.
@anarchy: if you are looking for a professional DRL installation, Mr.Srinivas gopal is the person. He is based out at Vizag and does a fabulous job.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:07   #7803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
Can somebody tell me where to get this LED Strips which can be put to any shape and also changes colour from white to amber when required.
Do not go for the chinese strips. They may be cheaper, but will not last more than a few months. I too wanted to do it, but got this answer from most of the shops/technicians to whom I enquired. So I dropped that plan. Majority of those strips which we get here , (either through shops or through ebay) are low quality chinese ones. It would be better to use them as external DRLs rather than fixing them inside the headlamp assembly.So even if it goes off after a few months, replacing/removing it won't be so difficult.
Old 6th December 2013, 12:38   #7804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post

Do not go for the chinese strips. They may be cheaper, but will not last more than a few months.
I second you on this. They don't last long and moreover they don't serve the purpose of DRLs as they are not bright enough to make your car stand out, they are just meant for decorative purpose. Philips DRLs are best to go and if placed properly they can enhance the looks. And they last really long too.
Old 6th December 2013, 13:36   #7805

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Can you post a picture?

Seems like a polishing job to me!
I agree.! I used a basic headlight restorer, made the plastic less dull. But I did not explain myself completely. The reflector might also be the issue.

Thanks

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1153.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1154.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1155.jpg
Old 6th December 2013, 15:00   #7806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree.! I used a basic headlight restorer, made the plastic less dull. But I did not explain myself completely. The reflector might also be the issue.

Thanks

Attachment 1175195

Attachment 1175196

Attachment 1175197
Thanks for the pictures. I'd first completely polish the headlamp lenses.
Machine polishing would achieve great results in this case!

Only after the lens is perfect, can we comment on the reflector!

(and you dont specifically need a headlight restorer. Any of the polishes like Meguiars Ultimate compound or polish can achieve better results)

Last edited by sohail99 : 6th December 2013 at 15:01.
Old 6th December 2013, 16:34   #7807

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Thanks for the pictures. I'd first completely polish the headlamp lenses.
Machine polishing would achieve great results in this case!

Only after the lens is perfect, can we comment on the reflector!

(and you dont specifically need a headlight restorer. Any of the polishes like Meguiars Ultimate compound or polish can achieve better results)
Thanks for the quick reply sohail.!

So mechanical polishing meaning a buffing machine or something like it.?
I'll use some polish and put in a lot of elbow grease in till then

P.S. If I need thee headlights changed later, are projectors good or new genuine ones.?

Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 12:21   #7808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

]
I think the reflectors and inner side of the lens has gathered dust. Is the dust cover behind the headlamp assembly open or loose? I think you should open up the assembly and clean the reflectors. However be careful while cleaning the reflector. It is a sensitive surface and can get scratched easily. Use a very soft cloth or cotton to slowly lift the dirt.
Old 8th December 2013, 17:04   #7809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Does any OSRAM dealer sell HID D2S bulbs [Not HID KIT]. Please help...
Try AVS Tuning. They are the authorised distributor for The Retrofit Source.
anarchy_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 23:47   #7810

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think the reflectors and inner side of the lens has gathered dust. Is the dust cover behind the headlamp assembly open or loose? I think you should open up the assembly and clean the reflectors. However be careful while cleaning the reflector. It is a sensitive surface and can get scratched easily. Use a very soft cloth or cotton to slowly lift the dirt.
Thanks for the advice, although i have no idea about the dust cover I'll only be able to tinker with it in Jan and get back to you.

Anyway, Searching and looking though other threads, I came across this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...my-innova.html. These are exactly the same projector kit available here, but I'm not a big fan of the DRLs around the Lamp (angel eyes).
Can I install only the HID lamps in the stock reflectors or is the projector lens needed.? (I'm a newbie to auto lighting, sorry)

Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 09:03   #7811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I install only the HID lamps in the stock reflectors or is the projector lens needed.? (I'm a newbie to auto lighting, sorry)

Thanks
There are different kinds of projector kits available. You can try the one without the DRLs. IMO, HID's on stock reflector is not recommended. Not much focusing and light will be scattered.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 09:46   #7812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, although i have no idea about the dust cover I'll only be able to tinker with it in Jan and get back to you.
Firstly as mentioned by naveen, HIDs in reflectors aren't recommended. You do get H4 HID bulbs with a similar beam cutoff that a halogen will give, but given the enormous output of the light source, a projector will be more efficient as it will make maximum use of the HID source and will not scatter light in unwanted directions.

To add to it, given the current condition of reflectors in your car, plonking HID will do more harm. Since the reflector is not clean or clear, it will cause excessive scattering which will not give you a good light output, at the same time cause a severe glare to the oncoming vehicles. Hence do not make changes until you sort out the reflector problem.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th December 2013 at 09:48.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:03   #7813

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There are different kinds of projector kits available. You can try the one without the DRLs. IMO, HID's on stock reflector is not recommended. Not much focusing and light will be scattered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Firstly as mentioned by naveen, HIDs in reflectors aren't recommended. You do get H4 HID bulbs with a similar beam cutoff that a halogen will give, but given the enormous output of the light source, a projector will be more efficient as it will make maximum use of the HID source and will not scatter light in unwanted directions.

To add to it, given the current condition of reflectors in your car, plonking HID will do more harm. Since the reflector is not clean or clear, it will cause excessive scattering which will not give you a good light output, at the same time cause a severe glare to the oncoming vehicles. Hence do not make changes until you sort out the reflector problem.
Thanks so much for the info guys.
The last thing I wanna do is cause glare to oncoming traffic. Its the one thing that really irritates me on road (specially in U.P.) I make it a point to use low-beam.
So I'll clean the reflectors first, check out the output from the halogens. If it doesn't seem good enough, like for highways, I should look for bi-xenon projectors. Sounds right.?
Old 11th December 2013, 11:44   #7814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The NB+ has now been replaced by the NB Unlimited, which is even better.
The NB Unlimited (introduced only this month) claims to produce the brightest light, have no idea of the price though.
Bangalore grapevine says the Unlimited will retail for around 2.3k for a H4 pair. Quite a lot extra when the NB+ H4 pairs are going for around 1k

Availability by January' 14.
Old 11th December 2013, 11:47   #7815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info guys.
The last thing I wanna do is cause glare to oncoming traffic. Its the one thing that really irritates me on road (specially in U.P.) I make it a point to use low-beam.
So I'll clean the reflectors first, check out the output from the halogens. If it doesn't seem good enough, like for highways, I should look for bi-xenon projectors. Sounds right.?
In case you plan to go for projectors, you need to check out the bi-xenon ones.

Most Viewed