Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 23:01   #7786
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys, I have a query.

When we drive with our low beams on and we use the 'pass' switch to caution/alert an oncoming vehicle, do both beams turn on and stay lit simultaneously?

Similarly, when switching over from low-beam to high-beam, does the same scenario take place?
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:28   #7787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Guys, I have a query.

When we drive with our low beams on and we use the 'pass' switch to caution/alert an oncoming vehicle, do both beams turn on and stay lit simultaneously?

Similarly, when switching over from low-beam to high-beam, does the same scenario take place?

For the 1st qn - Yes . When you use the pass switch for the bulbs which have both high and low filament together eg : H4 , both beams lit simultaneously. Thats why its not advisable to use the pass switch often as it may lead to early blow out of the filament.

For the 2nd qn - No. Switching over lits only the appropriate filament ie : either high or low.

Try it at night and check. You will see the difference clealry.
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:21   #7788
rbp
BHPian

Does any OSRAM dealer sell HID D2S bulbs [Not HID KIT]. Please help...
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:52   #7789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Guys, I have a query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
For the 1st qn - Yes . When you use the pass switch for the bulbs which have both high and low filament together eg : H4 , both beams lit simultaneously. Thats why its not advisable to use the pass switch often as it may lead to early blow out of the filament.

For the 2nd qn - No. Switching over lits only the appropriate filament ie : either high or low.

Try it at night and check. You will see the difference clealry.
But the situation is different in case of a dual barrel headlamp e.g. Linea.
In this case when you give the pass swith, only the high beam glows and when you use the high beam at night, all the four bulbs glow.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:14   #7790
BHPian

I have a Fiat Palio MJD 2008 model. It has done about 92000 KM so far and recently I've noticed a lot of my bulbs have been blowing out. I have already replaced 2 tail lights, one brake light and one headlight. Now, another brake light and another head light died last week. That makes it a total of 6 lights blown in less than 6 months. I haven't had to replace even a single bulb in the 5 years before that.

Any clue what the issue might be? My mechanic said I'd have to take it to a auto electrican who can check if there are any short circuits.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers
Ganesh
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:38   #7791
BHPian

Can somebody tell me where to get this LED Strips which can be put to any shape and also changes colour from white to amber when required.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-picture_123042.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-picture_123044.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2013, 17:06   #7792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
I have a Fiat Palio MJD 2008 model. It has done about 92000 KM so far and recently I've noticed a lot of my bulbs have been blowing out. I have already replaced 2 tail lights, one brake light and one headlight. Now, another brake light and another head light died last week. That makes it a total of 6 lights blown in less than 6 months. I haven't had to replace even a single bulb in the 5 years before that.

Any clue what the issue might be? My mechanic said I'd have to take it to a auto electrican who can check if there are any short circuits.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers
Ganesh
Hi Ganesh, what I understand from your post is that lot of bulbs are blowing up, but not the same bulb again & again. If that is the case, then nothing to worry about. Probably the bulbs are reaching their ends of life. Change all the bulbs(yet to be replaced) and also the set of fuses as a set and continue trouble free for few more years.

If the new bulbs are blowing up, you will have to make a visit to the electrical guy.
swami.n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:11   #7793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Hi Ganesh, what I understand from your post is that lot of bulbs are blowing up, but not the same bulb again & again. If that is the case, then nothing to worry about. Probably the bulbs are reaching their ends of life. Change all the bulbs(yet to be replaced) and also the set of fuses as a set and continue trouble free for few more years.

If the new bulbs are blowing up, you will have to make a visit to the electrical guy.
Thanks a lot for the response. You are right, the bulbs just might be nearing the end of their shelf life but I'm still surprised they all decided to die nearly together. I'll change the remaining bulbs and wait for some more time.

Cheers
Ganesh
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:18   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
Thanks a lot for the response. You are right, the bulbs just might be nearing the end of their shelf life but I'm still surprised they all decided to die nearly together. I'll change the remaining bulbs and wait for some more time.

Cheers
Ganesh
It happens you know.

I always change the bulbs as sets, especially when it fuses after a few years. Suppose one side of the headlamp is gone, I just change both & keep the working one as spare.

Or i will just be anxious, thinking when the older one is going to blow up.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:21   #7795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

Modern controls have evolved to an extent that when you use the pass switch when low beam is on, the low beam cuts off and then the high beam lights up. In most cars with H4 bulbs, in recent times, both filaments wont be on at any time. The only cars I have seen both filaments to be on during passing is in Omni, 800 and the old version of tata safari, ie the 3.0l dicor one.
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:37   #7796
BHPian

On NHC both the filaments glow while using pass switch. Also civic has a double barrel configuration and even it lights up both the beams when using pass switch.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:42   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
Can somebody tell me where to get this LED Strips which can be put to any shape and also changes colour from white to amber when required.
I don't think these are available in Indian market yet, atleast I couldn't find one for myself. But one of my pals bougt these from alixpress and they were of fine quality. In case you are interested link
Hope this helps. Cheers
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 22:37   #7798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I don't think these are available in Indian market yet, atleast I couldn't find one for myself.
I hope you are meaning like the ones attached below.

We do get it widely in India!
There are many in Vizag and Delhi who are experts in the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-picture-874-1.jpg  

Old 6th December 2013, 03:45   #7799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I hope you are meaning like the ones attached below.

We do get it widely in India!
There are many in Vizag and Delhi who are experts in the work.
I saw retrofitters using them in their retros but, they didn't seem to wanna tell me their source since I was retrofitting my lights myself!

(like mxmotorsport use these diffused strips!)
Old 6th December 2013, 03:48   #7800

Hey guys, I have a question.

The headlights of my 2006 Innova seems to have faded out, I did get the halogens changed about a year ago but the beam is not satisfactory. Should I get new genuine headlights from Toyota or get Aftermarket Projectors installed.?

The projectors are costing about ₹ 18000 and I don't have an idea about the genuine ones.

Thanks

Most Viewed