Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:21   #7906
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Can someone help me to choose between Philips x-treme vision and Osram NB+ as replacement for my Polo's headlamp? Polo's headlamps are very weak and it's a pain to drive on the highway where the lights from oncoming vehicles blinds me completely. Also are these bulbs available in H8 specification so that they can be used replace fog lamps too? I don't want to touch the electricals of the Polo so it's a big no to relays and more powerful bulbs.
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:01   #7907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
can somebody advise a good place to get projector headlamps installed in Delhi NCR ?
I got the morimoto mini D2S kit for my verna fluidic from US through a friend and would like to get them done this weekend.
Please, look for MXS in the directory, they will help you with it.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:37   #7908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Can someone help me to choose between Philips x-treme vision and Osram NB+ as replacement for my Polo's headlamp?.
Go for 100/90 Bosch with a relay kit. Would cost you approx INR 1200 (along with relay and install) fantastic beam, does not blind oncoming motorists like 130/100 .
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 10:08   #7909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Can someone help me to choose between Philips x-treme vision and Osram NB+ as replacement for my Polo's headlamp? Polo's headlamps are very weak and it's a pain to drive on the highway where the lights from oncoming vehicles blinds me completely. Also are these bulbs available in H8 specification so that they can be used replace fog lamps too? I don't want to touch the electricals of the Polo so it's a big no to relays and more powerful bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Go for 100/90 Bosch with a relay kit. Would cost you approx INR 1200 (along with relay and install) fantastic beam, does not blind oncoming motorists like 130/100 .
I don't think 100/90w will be suitable since I have seen a lot of polos with cracked and blackened lenses. Its better to stick to Osram NB+. If at all the outputs arent satisfactory, then even projectors would do since there are a lot of aftermarket options for the germans.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 10:52   #7910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
seen a lot of polos with cracked and blackened lenses.
It depends on the how much a new lens costs. If they are ~same as getting a good projector or similar options, its better go for 90/100 bulb and change the H/L once it is damaged, It takes years to blacken if your night drive is occasional.
Old 24th January 2014, 11:25   #7911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
It depends on the how much a new lens costs. If they are ~same as getting a good projector or similar options, its better go for 90/100 bulb and change the H/L once it is damaged, It takes years to blacken if your night drive is occasional.
While I do agree with the idea, it depends upon reflector size and design as well as quality that determines how early it will fade out. I have been using 100/90s in my SX4 from three years and the lens still shines like new. However I took the risk of upgrading wattage since the Headlamp assembly costs very less than a set of projectors and HIDs. So in the same way you told, I am ready to get the headlamps changed. However I am not sure if the cost is less for a Polo. Hence I wouldnt recommend.
Old 28th January 2014, 22:33   #7912

Hello All,
Long time lurker first time post. I just upgraded the headlight on my 2006 Swift ZXi. I got a hella double relay with Philips Rally 100/90. The relay had ceramic holders already.
I just came home testing the lights tonight. I have to say its an awesome upgrade. The visibility was so much improved.
I did this at Jeewajee Car decor in annanagar and it cost me 1500. Everything was done in 15 mins or less. I could not have asked for better service.

I have 2 questions
1) Should I be changing the headlight fuse ?
2) I would like to use my fog lights as a backup in case of a headlight failure. Does anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket bright lights in place of the stock fog lamps. Alternatively any recommendations for replacement bulbs ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:18   #7913
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentor561 View Post
Hello All,
Long time lurker first time post. I just upgraded ... Philips Rally 100/90.
I have 2 questions
2) I would like to use my fog lights as a backup in case of a headlight failure. Does anyone have a recommendation for aftermarket bright lights in place of the stock fog lamps. Alternatively any recommendations for replacement bulbs ?
1. Check the ratings of the stock fuses. 100W is about 8A, so decide. If individually fused with 15A or more they are fine.
2. Do not confuse between driving and fog lamps. While the former can replace headlamps the latter cannot. The pattern in a fog is diffuse and does not give a 'throw'. I replaced the bulbs (H11 35W) in my Civic fogs with 55W 3000K HiDs and am very happy. I think 2700K would have been even better! Do not go for the flashy 4300K or higher.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 10:55   #7914

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. Check the ratings of the stock fuses. 100W is about 8A, so decide. If individually fused with 15A or more they are fine.
2. Do not confuse between driving and fog lamps. While the former can replace headlamps the latter cannot. The pattern in a fog is diffuse and does not give a 'throw'. I replaced the bulbs (H11 35W) in my Civic fogs with 55W 3000K HiDs and am very happy. I think 2700K would have been even better! Do not go for the flashy 4300K or higher.
Thank You sgiitk.
Ill check the stock fuse.
I understand what you are saying about the fog lamps. I am referring to the lights on the sides at the very bottom of the front bumper. The ones that used to be fog lights in the old days. Now they look like regular lights that illuminate with a diffuse pattern immediately in front and to the sides of the car.
I have 2 things in play here
1) The fact that both my fog lights are no longer working. The passenger side definitely requires a new kit including the reflector. The driver side maybe just a bulb. Thus was wondering if I had aftermarket options that could be used in the off chance that my headlights die. Something brighter than stock to keep rolling in the dark till I get to a safer place. Rather than get stranded.
2) My pessimistic propensity that makes me anxious because of the new bulbs. These brighter /hotter bulbs do tend to have a higher failure rate than stock bulbs.

I dont want to be in the dark ( pun intended)

Thanks to everyone in the 528 pages of posts this was very informative and helped me understand what I am doing and make an informed decision.
mentor561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 14:01   #7915
BANNED

Quote:
I understand what you are saying about the fog lamps. I am referring to the lights on the sides at the very bottom of the front bumper. The ones that used to be fog lights in the old days. Now they look like regular lights that illuminate with a diffuse pattern immediately in front and to the sides of the car.
It is very likely they are from Lumax and you will save a pretty packet if you do not strictly go for MGP. As you say the reflectors may be shot.
Old 29th January 2014, 15:27   #7916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have 2 questions

Thanks in advance.
IMO, you will not need to change the stock fuse. This is because there is very minor load on the old fuse- of the relay only. The new wiring kit that you have installed will have its own fuse somewhere close to where it draws power from the battery. Most likely, there will be two separate fuses for both headlamps.

The old fuse (in the car fuse box) and the stalk control now just have the load of relay operation which requires very minor current and this is precisely the reason why we need that wiring kit with relay while upgrading the headlamps.

Last edited by saket77 : 29th January 2014 at 15:31.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 15:32   #7917
BANNED

@saket77; A very valid point. The relay circuit is separately fused, and thus the current through the main fuses is minimal.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 17:19   #7918

Thanks guys. There are two separate 30 Amp fuses as part of the relay.
So Im all set on that.
Now the question is if there is a recommended bulb upgrade for the stock fog lamps.

Thanks again
Old 4th February 2014, 20:23   #7919
BHPian

Looking out for shops which sell 4300k hi/lo HID 35W.
Any pointers towards good shops in Bangalore?
I know I can get one in jc road but most of them stock 6000k n 8000k.
Appreciate all replies and suggestions.
PS-don't mind Chinese products as long as they're
of good quality
Old 4th February 2014, 21:28   #7920
BHPian

I would like upgrade lights for my ertiga. Would want to upgrade both the headlights and fogs. What is the best option for headlight upgrade without relay kit? what size is the fog lamps for ertiga, is it h7 or h11?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks