Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 00:56   #7966
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have used both NB+ and Xtreme Vision and I would say Xtreme vision is way better than Osram in terms of absolute light output.

Night Breaker+ has more bluish glass area than transparent area and the light is more whitish which is a natural consequence of the blue filter blocking some of the yellow light component. So in rainy conditions, I found these bulbs were worse than my stock 60/55W yellow halogens.
Xtreme Vision on the other hand, is more yellowish in color.(more brighter too.) Though not as yellowish as the OEM halogens but still more yellowish than NB+. Perfect for enhanced illumination in all conditions. I would say the best h4 bulb in 60/55W rating.

Night Breaker Unlimited seems to be the successor of NB+.Though I have not used this bulb, the pictures on web suggest that the design is more or less the same as NB+ with the same blue coating dominant over the glass area.So if I am not wrong, I expect the light to be just as whitish as the NB+ , with may be a marginal improvement in output as they claim. But 2k is just too pricey at the moment for a pair of 60/55 halogen bulbs.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 01:35   #7967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Hi all,

I am buying a Brio AT for my mum and since we live in chennai where the street lights are permanaently out of order :P i was planning on upgrading headlights that a) throw a more powerful light beam in low beam (as well as in high beam!) than the OEM b) will fit in the brio socket without any changes made (so as to avoid woiding the warranty !)

I remember coming across a post , a while ago, about a brio owner who had modified his headlights fitting the above criteria, and he had posted the pics showing the changes as well. Unfortunately i couldnt find the link again so am asking around now :(

Any and all help/advice/tips about lighting in general for the Brio AT will be greatly appreciated !!

I upgraded the Brio's headlamps with Osram's Night Breaker plus on a night drive from Patna to Delhi. It was a direct fit in the socket and the difference was worth the extra time I spent looking out for this bulb. The drive was during the monsoon season and as we know, the spread is limited in rains, the intensity kept me focused on the drive. The average speed maintained was about 55+ and had it not been for those bulbs, reaching Delhi next morning would have nigh impossible. A strong recommendation if you do not want to go in for relay and higher wattage options.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 06:15   #7968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
Hi all,

I am buying a Brio AT for my mum and since we live in chennai where the street lights are permanaently out of order :P i was planning on upgrading headlights that a) throw a more powerful light beam in low beam (as well as in high beam!) than the OEM b) will fit in the brio socket without any changes made (so as to avoid woiding the warranty !)

I remember coming across a post , a while ago, about a brio owner who had modified his headlights fitting the above criteria, and he had posted the pics showing the changes as well. Unfortunately i couldnt find the link again so am asking around now :(

Any and all help/advice/tips about lighting in general for the Brio AT will be greatly appreciated !!
You can take the Philips extreme vision bulbs from me if you want to try them. I found them to be worthless compared to the six year old osram silver star I'm currently running. I used them in my Gurgaon to Chennai drive and they were simply useless around Mumbai during torrential rains. They act as claimed, you can see much farther but the light isn't much more so the beam is like a narrower beam that's useless to illuminate the periphery of the road near to you (pedestrians crossing the road suddenly). I doubt your mother needs to see 500m farther within the city, she needs to see the idiot in the phone who steps out of a corner on a barely lit street.

Try extreme vision if you must, but IMHO, stay stock. All these bulbs have a narrower more focused beam that's pointless in the streets.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 07:19   #7969
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You can take the Philips extreme vision bulbs from me if you want to try them. I found them to be worthless compared to the six year old osram silver star I'm currently running.

Try extreme vision if you must, but IMHO, stay stock. All these bulbs have a narrower more focused beam that's pointless in the streets.
I have long highway usage where my daily travel is done at all times of the day, I feel the low beam is a bit weak in my Swift but high beam is decent enough.

Contemplating on buying a pair of Phillips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) for trial. The stock bulbs are labelled Osram (60/55W). I have used Osram NB+ when I was driving the Ritz but they conk off too soon.

Do you think I must try the Phillips Xtreme Vision?

Anurag.
Old 6th March 2014, 08:24   #7970
BHPian

I am also in the market for upgrading headlamp bulbs for Rapid (2012). As the common complaint here (already discussed), the stock lamps are not good.

While scrolling through the thread, I see following options recommended,
Philips xtreme visions or osram nightbreaker
Philips Extreme Vision (stock wattage) <-- I believe it's same as above

Also read below comment,

Quote:
I have used both NB+ and Xtreme Vision and I would say Xtreme vision is way better than Osram in terms of absolute light output.

Night Breaker+ has more bluish glass area than transparent area and the light is more whitish which is a natural consequence of the blue filter blocking some of the yellow light component. So in rainy conditions, I found these bulbs were worse than my stock 60/55W yellow halogens.
Xtreme Vision on the other hand, is more yellowish in color.(more brighter too.) Though not as yellowish as the OEM halogens but still more yellowish than NB+. Perfect for enhanced illumination in all conditions. I would say the best h4 bulb in 60/55W rating.

Night Breaker Unlimited seems to be the successor of NB+.Though I have not used this bulb, the pictures on web suggest that the design is more or less the same as NB+ with the same blue coating dominant over the glass area.So if I am not wrong, I expect the light to be just as whitish as the NB+ , with may be a marginal improvement in output as they claim. But 2k is just too pricey at the moment for a pair of 60/55 halogen bulbs.
My understanding on headlamp bulbs is limited (learning though). I apologize if questions are repeated.

I have two questions,
1. What do you experts recommend for Rapid? Without much changes to the car.
2. Any recommended stores in Bangalore from where I can get it fitted?

My requirement:
Better visibility in both high and low beam. Without loosing out on warranty.

Separately:
Considered new headlamp units (as in Rapid 2014), mentioned by torque18, waiting for the final outcome as he is facing some issues with it.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 6th March 2014 at 08:27.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:17   #7971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Anurag.
Philips Extreme Vision also conks off anytime after 6 months to 1 year of usage. I have changed 3 pairs of it in 3 and 1/2 years of ownership. I will now move to 90/100 once extended warranty is over of my car. It is not economical to go with these bulbs forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I have two questions,
1. What do you experts recommend for Rapid? Without much changes to the car.
2. Any recommended stores in Bangalore from where I can get it fitted?

My requirement:
Better visibility in both high and low beam. Without loosing out on warranty.
First of all, which kind of headlamp bulb is used in Rapid? H1, H4 or H7? You can find details in manual.

1. You can safely replace your stock bulbs with Osram NB+ or Philips Extreme Vision. Both are similar bulbs which one is better among them is subjective to each user. I am using Philips Extreme Vision for many night drives, I am mostly satisfied with it. Don't forget to level your headlamps post bulb change. This is most important step and most of us tend to ignore it.

2. These bulbs are available at many stores. You can try Reliance AutoZone if you are in Bangalore or visit AK Traders in JC Road. Address is given in this thread itself you have to search. There are couple of online stores as well like http://www.vicky.in/ http://www.epitstop.in/.

Mostly, you can change these bulbs yourself without any electrician. It is simple procedure. If you are not confident you can visit nearby auto electrician.

Last edited by anujmishra : 6th March 2014 at 09:22.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:21   #7972
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have recently changed my stock bulbs on the Vento to Philips XV same wattage. To be frank, I feel that this is just a small improvement over stock bulbs. May be 10-15%. Still, I am not able to view the road anywhere as I can in my Micra.

So I would recommend you to go for higher wattage bulbs with a relay (regarding warranty, please check with experts), if you feel the stocks are pathetic. Else, if you feel that you only need a slight improvement over stock, you may proceed with either Philips or Osram.

Quote:
You can take the Philips extreme vision bulbs from me if you want to try them. I found them to be worthless compared to the six year old osram silver star I'm currently running.
I guess I had asked you long back from where you sourced the Silverstars, but it seemed you missed my post. Then I placed an order with vicky.in and he gleefully slept on my order to tell me after 2 weeks that the item is unavailable. I inquired with autotrends.in to know that Silverstars are not available in India anywhere. I would have definitely wanted to try them.

Last edited by thoma : 6th March 2014 at 09:30.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:29   #7973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hey Bhpians,

I am planning to install HID on my i20, Can someone please suggest the brand (if any) and the price of HID which is more reliable for my ride ?

Help is appreciated !
I installed bixenon hid projectors on my i20 with high beam functionality extended to the hid. This is on a 2013 crdi asta. Lighting is brilliant and incomparable to stock or Philips xtreme(I had this earlier).

I paid 20k for the retrofit setup

Name:  ForumRunner_20140306_092845.png
Views: 1061
Size:  447.8 KB
Old 6th March 2014, 10:07   #7974
BHPian

I had posted this query in the Laura technical thread, however i feel this is the more apporpiate thread for the same.

I have a 2010 Skoda Laura Tdi (Ambiente) which came with projectors fitted with halogens for the dipped beam (Osram H7). During 2011-2012 i had changed the dipped beam to HIDs and the effect was profoud to say the least. Now the issue that comes are as under:

1. In 2012, the car had a premature battery failure, which was replaced under warranty by Skoda.

2. In 2013, the alternator was diagnosed to be faulty and replaced under warranty.

3. Now again in January 2014, my battery died and had to be replaced.

The HIDs that were put contained the Canbus ballasts and there was no error reported on the MID during the time they were on the car. However, after the 2nd battery failure, i thought this is happening maybe due to the HIDs and hence changed them back to the stock bulbs. My question to the gurus here is that is it possible that the HIDs were infact causing the battery to drain and die a premature death? If no, then i would require your help in finding the right set of HIDs cause the H7s are just ineffective. I wear glasses and drive on the ring road and the DND at night thanks to the work hours and would prefer some better lighting options. The Laura does have a powerful beam, but i am hesitant to use it since it causes great inconvenience to the person in front of me and on the opposite side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rohan
Old 6th March 2014, 10:54   #7975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The HIDs that were put contained the Canbus ballasts and there was no error reported on the MID during the time they were on the car. However, after the 2nd battery failure, i thought this is happening maybe due to the HIDs and hence changed them back to the stock bulbs. My question to the gurus here is that is it possible that the HIDs were infact causing the battery to drain and die a premature death? If no, then i would require your help in finding the right set of HIDs cause the H7s are just ineffective. I wear glasses and drive on the ring road and the DND at night thanks to the work hours and would prefer some better lighting options. The Laura does have a powerful beam, but i am hesitant to use it since it causes great inconvenience to the person in front of me and on the opposite side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rohan
Rohan, HID's wont drain your battery as it requires very little power. Moreover, most of the HID kits will be of 35w power output. If the problem is being repeated, you should check the ballast. Since you are planning to switch over to another brand, you can change the entire kit. I would suggest you to check Philips but dont know how easy it will be to source 4300k HIDs (which provides the best visibility). Else you can check other brands like P8, Osram, Auto gauge which are reliable. I have personally used Auto Gauge (4300k) HIDs for more than 3 years without any problem.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 11:03   #7976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Rohan, HID's wont drain your battery as it requires very little power. Moreover, most of the HID kits will be of 35w power output. If the problem is being repeated, you should check the ballast. Since you are planning to switch over to another brand, you can change the entire kit. I would suggest you to check Philips but dont know how easy it will be to source 4300k HIDs (which provides the best visibility). Else you can check other brands like P8, Osram, Auto gauge which are reliable. I have personally used Auto Gauge (4300k) HIDs for more than 3 years without any problem.
Thank you Naveen for the reply. The old kit that i have (including the ballast) is of Taiwanese make and now I suspect could be the culprit. I had the 4300k HIDs only as i feel 6000k cause unnecessary inconvenience to other road users. I had checked with P8 over the weekend and spoke to their wholeseller in Delhi. He informed me that their ballasts are currenly not error free and are working towards solving the same. Osrams is also not available with any retailer i know of in Delhi. Will scout for Philips and Auto Gauge on your recommendation.
Thanks once again.

Rohan
Old 6th March 2014, 11:35   #7977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Thank you Naveen for the reply. The old kit that i have (including the ballast) is of Taiwanese make and now I suspect could be the culprit. I had the 4300k HIDs only as i feel 6000k cause unnecessary inconvenience to other road users. I had checked with P8 over the weekend and spoke to their wholeseller in Delhi. He informed me that their ballasts are currenly not error free and are working towards solving the same. Osrams is also not available with any retailer i know of in Delhi. Will scout for Philips and Auto Gauge on your recommendation.
Thanks once again.

Rohan
Anytime. AFAIK, it will be a bit difficult to source 4300k Philips HIDs and most of them will be Chinese make. Not to worry but do check online whether they are genuine bulbs. You will need to enter the 14 digit serial number here:
http://www.apr.lighting.philips.com/burner/
and see if it's original.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 14:19   #7978
BHPian

Quote:
Till the car is under warranty you can try Osram Night Breaker + or the Phillips Xtreme Vision in stock rating (60/55W).

Anurag.
Going by the numerous voices of dissent against Xtreme Vision i guess Osram should be the better choice ! Am assuming it also comes in the sotck rating of 60/55 W , yes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Also look at the rather pricey Osram Night Breaker Unlimited ones which are supposed to be the most powerful currently.

Just search for them on Google or on TBHP itself - going rate for a H4 pair is around 2k.
Price isnt much of a problem if it gives better visibility ! (somebody give me son of the year award :P) Also powerful is arelative term. Do you mean it has a high wattage or gives a broad beam or is very bright ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
I upgraded the Brio's headlamps with Osram's Night Breaker plus on a night drive from Patna to Delhi. It was a direct fit in the socket and the difference was worth the extra time I spent looking out for this bulb. The drive was during the monsoon season and as we know, the spread is limited in rains, the intensity kept me focused on the drive. The average speed maintained was about 55+ and had it not been for those bulbs, reaching Delhi next morning would have nigh impossible. A strong recommendation if you do not want to go in for relay and higher wattage options.
Ah finally a fellow Brio owner ! Guess the Night Breaker + pass the rain test (pretty important in chennai with the 2 monsoon seasons !) but how about city usage ? Is it broad enough to, quoting phamilyman, "...see the idiot in the phone who steps out of a corner on a barely lit street" ? :P

Quote:
You can take the Philips extreme vision bulbs from me if you want to try them. I found them to be worthless compared to the six year old osram silver star I'm currently running. I used them in my Gurgaon to Chennai drive and they were simply useless around Mumbai during torrential rains. They act as claimed, you can see much farther but the light isn't much more so the beam is like a narrower beam that's useless to illuminate the periphery of the road near to you (pedestrians crossing the road suddenly). I doubt your mother needs to see 500m farther within the city, she needs to see the idiot in the phone who steps out of a corner on a barely lit street.

And wiser words were never said ! On a serious note- you did make a very valid point. But while the car will mostly have city usage (70%) there will be highway usage (30%) as well.

And i dont mind staying stock but if there is something that gives a longer, brighter and broader beam than the stock then i would defintiely go for it ! Are you saying 'osram night breaker +' or 'osram silver star' or'osram night breaker unlimited' (damn that's a lot of osrams!)arent up to the job of being better than OEM headlights ??
Old 6th March 2014, 15:33   #7979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have long highway usage where my daily travel is done at all times of the day, I feel the low beam is a bit weak in my Swift but high beam is decent enough.

Contemplating on buying a pair of Phillips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) for trial. The stock bulbs are labelled Osram (60/55W). I have used Osram NB+ when I was driving the Ritz but they conk off too soon.

Anurag.
For you it may work just fine because you would be at a high speed so seeing faraway things matters (unlike his mother who'll be driving at 15-30 kph in the inner roads mostly).

however, like I said, it causes tunnel vision (much lesser width of beam) which was a problem near mumbai because the road was curving, broken occasionally near the median and there was some traffic crossing. on arrow straight highways it *may* be okay.

That said, given your extremely long daily driving requirement, its far easier to upgrade the HL to 90/100s which would give you more output and hence more visibility on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
^^ I have recently changed my stock bulbs on the Vento to Philips XV same wattage. To be frank, I feel that this is just a small improvement over stock bulbs. May be 10-15%. Still, I am not able to view the road anywhere as I can in my Micra.

So I would recommend you to go for higher wattage bulbs with a relay (regarding warranty, please check with experts), if you feel the stocks are pathetic. Else, if you feel that you only need a slight improvement over stock, you may proceed with either Philips or Osram.

I guess I had asked you long back from where you sourced the Silverstars, but it seemed you missed my post. Then I placed an order with vicky.in and he gleefully slept on my order to tell me after 2 weeks that the item is unavailable. I inquired with autotrends.in to know that Silverstars are not available in India anywhere. I would have definitely wanted to try them.
Our experience agrees

Sorry - i recall replying to your PM but i guess i messup somewhere. anyways

as for silverstar, i bought a 2006 made set in 2008 from classic electricals in gurgaon. i picked up their last 2006 made set in 2010. they have no silverstars left!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:51   #7980
BHPian

Quote:
And i dont mind staying stock but if there is something that gives a longer, brighter and broader beam than the stock then i would defintiely go for it ! Are you saying 'osram night breaker +' or 'osram silver star' or'osram night breaker unlimited' (damn that's a lot of osrams!)arent up to the job of being better than OEM headlights ??
My wife had a Brio until last week and it was eqipped with the OEM headlights. The car was primarily used in the city (90% of the time) and i have found the OEM lights to be better than any car i had used till we got the Brio home. My brother in law upgraded the lights to HIDs, which in my opinion spoilt the throw and focus. Sure the brightness did increase but in my opinion, it wasnt worth using without projectors.

Since your car would be used primarily in the city, I personally feel there is no need to upgrade the OEM headlights.

EDIT: forgot to tell that the OEM headlights are superb in the rains!

Cheers.
Rohan

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2014 at 17:42. Reason: Fixing quote

Most Viewed