Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:17   #7951
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I would like to upgrade my Skoda Rapid Head Lamps. I have the 2013 Rapid TDI. When I checked with Skoda they say that the warranty will go void if I do so. Any suggestions on what can be done as I find these lights bad for night highway driving.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:20   #7952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohintonw View Post
I would like to upgrade my Skoda Rapid Head Lamps. I have the 2013 Rapid TDI. When I checked with Skoda they say that the warranty will go void if I do so. Any suggestions on what can be done as I find these lights bad for night highway driving.

I think you can go for the Philips Xtreme bulbs which is again 55/60 and might not void the warranty,

The warranty goes for toss only when we add relay and upgrade the bulb to 100/90

Hope this helps
Old 24th February 2014, 13:27   #7953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohintonw View Post
As long as you dont cut the stock wiring, adding higher wattage bulbs will not void the warranty . It's just a plug n play device. But some manufacturers strictly say that even adding these higher wattage bulbs will void the warranty. I didnt have any problems with the swift even though they said that warranty will be void. Dont take a risk, go for Philips Extreme Vision (stock wattage). Although they advertise it as 80-100% more light, you can expect around 25-30% more visibility. It's safe and just a bulb replacement.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 24th February 2014 at 13:28.
Old 24th February 2014, 14:48   #7954
BHPian

I heard from one of the automotive electrician that the car manufacturer gives warranty to electricals only for a year. Is it so ? is it immaterial of additional warranty bought ?
Old 28th February 2014, 10:13   #7955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
I heard from one of the automotive electrician that the car manufacturer gives warranty to electricals only for a year. Is it so ? is it immaterial of additional warranty bought ?
The warranty is very much limited only to wear and tear parts such as clutch, brakes etc. However, it is standard for all other components like electricals, drivetrain etc.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 10:44   #7956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The warranty is very much limited only to wear and tear parts such as clutch, brakes etc. However, it is standard for all other components like electricals, drivetrain etc.
Thanks much, so ideally i should not alter any electrical parts (like upgrading the headlamp bulbs with relay) but, i can change it with the OE specifications.

Now, if i slice a wire to tap and put a DRL would that affect warranty ?
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 11:20   #7957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Thanks much, so ideally i should not alter any electrical parts (like upgrading the headlamp bulbs with relay) but, i can change it with the OE specifications.

Now, if i slice a wire to tap and put a DRL would that affect warranty ?
Actually there is a misunderstanding regarding the relay and headlamp upgrade. You can add a relay and a wiring harness and upgrade the wattage without any problem. Suppose you face a problem or have to give the car for service, you can roll back the setup within a matter of ten minutes or so. Hence, your warranty wont be void since they wont know that you had upgraded the lamps. The whole setup is plug and play and needs no cutting of wires or permanent mods. Hence you can upgrade without problem.

Regarding DRL, as long as the setup is removable, and you use a connector to connector connection, you can always remove it. On the other hand, if you need to add projectors etc, its more messy and the headlights have to be opened up. Hence those things are best done after warranty expires.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:20   #7958
BHPian

Hello

Recently I had ordered the projector headlamps for my Rapid. The new headlights, as found on the MY14 model, shares the same connector with the older units with no change whatsoever in the combination switch too.

However, to our surprise when it was installed in place of the old units, the low beam(projector) would go off every time high beam was flashed or the switch pushed back (constant high beam) when ideally on high beam the low beam should also stay on. The workshop guys apparently scanned the wiring diagram of the two cars as well but could not find any difference. This is baffling indeed.

Would anyone have any idea about this? I would love to have the setup working as it is in the new models without any modifications in the wiring. And the connectors and combination switch being the same, i fail to understand where the difference lies.
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:41   #7959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Hello

Would anyone have any idea about this? I would love to have the setup working as it is in the new models without any modifications in the wiring. And the connectors and combination switch being the same, i fail to understand where the difference lies.
Either the software has been altered, given that it runs on the tweakable VAG-COM interface or the headlamp assembly has an internal circuit which will keep low beam on. Hence, the low beam switches off when you select high beam. In the old design, which H4 bulbs are used, the bulb can only run a single filament at a time. Hence, you cant use the same setup for the projectors.
Old 3rd March 2014, 20:42   #7960
BHPian

Upgraded my Santro headlights.
Philips essential vision 90/100 (white) - 800 for a pair
Minda wiring relay kit - 600 - no cutting what so ever
labor - 100
fitting took 10 min.

Awesome light output in both high and low beam.
UniqueMods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 00:13   #7961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Either the software has been altered, given that it runs on the tweakable VAG-COM interface or the headlamp assembly has an internal circuit which will keep low beam on. Hence, the low beam switches off when you select high beam. In the old design, which H4 bulbs are used, the bulb can only run a single filament at a time. Hence, you cant use the same setup for the projectors.
Agreed that the old units housing H4 bulbs cant use the same setup. But where does the difference lie in the circuitry if the wiring connectors and the combination switch share the same part number. As far as the projector unit's internal circuit is concerned, it should not be an issue if every other part concerned with the flow of current to the projector is the same.

Regards
Old 4th March 2014, 07:41   #7962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
. But where does the difference lie in the circuitry if the wiring connectors and the combination switch share the same part number. As far as the projector unit's internal circuit is concerned, it should not be an issue if every other part concerned with the flow of current to the projector is the same.
You are missing out the BCM. The BCM controls all the electricals and a change in its coding is sufficient enough to alter its behaviour, keeping the wiring, switches as it is. Haven't you gone through the VAG COM related thread? By just altering the software, members have been able to carry out umpteen customisations. It ll be the same in this case too.
Old 4th March 2014, 15:27   #7963
BHPian

Hi all,

I am buying a Brio AT for my mum and since we live in chennai where the street lights are permanaently out of order :P i was planning on upgrading headlights that a) throw a more powerful light beam in low beam (as well as in high beam!) than the OEM b) will fit in the brio socket without any changes made (so as to avoid woiding the warranty !)

I remember coming across a post , a while ago, about a brio owner who had modified his headlights fitting the above criteria, and he had posted the pics showing the changes as well. Unfortunately i couldnt find the link again so am asking around now :(

Any and all help/advice/tips about lighting in general for the Brio AT will be greatly appreciated !!
Old 4th March 2014, 17:56   #7964
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
a) throw a more powerful light beam in low beam (as well as in high beam!) than the OEM b) will fit in the brio socket without any changes made (so as to avoid woiding the warranty !)
Till the car is under warranty you can try Osram Night Breaker + or the Phillips Xtreme Vision in stock rating (60/55W).

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:39   #7965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Till the car is under warranty you can try Osram Night Breaker + or the Phillips Xtreme Vision in stock rating (60/55W).

Anurag.
Also look at the rather pricey Osram Night Breaker Unlimited ones which are supposed to be the most powerful currently.

Just search for them on Google or on TBHP itself - going rate for a H4 pair is around 2k.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks