Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 07:47   #12721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I have recently upgraded to Osram 50 W LED on my Hyundai Verna Fluidic 4S which has Halogen projectors. Initial impression is pretty underwhelming. If at all, it's marginally better than the halogens. However I'm not sure if the LEDs are aligned properly. The high beam I feel is a bit scattered. It's an HB3 type bulb that acts as both High and Low.

Here are a couple of pics of the cut off lines. Not the darkest of places, to click the picture. However can someone help me if this cut off pattern looks alright
This doesn't seem to be aligned correctly. The led blade should be vertical and the leds should be at 3 and 9 oclock position.
To check the current position, hold a paper against the light when it is on. The dark line in between the light will show you the current position of the blade.

Also most of the halogen projectors in cars typically have cloudy or milky lenses to reduce glare and their output is quite low, so the benefits of leds are reduced. Same was also the case with my Jeep Compass. That is why even 35w GTR fog light projectors have better light than 50w leds in halogen projector headlights.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 12:22   #12722

Hi Everyone,
Wow this is an amazing thread. I am planning to install new fog lights for my Jazz V BS6 model. This is how it currently looks.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-20240329-12.08.568239pm.png
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-20240329-12.18.578239pm.png

The issue is that there are no fog lights or separate slots for fog lights either. These are plain DRLs which switch off once the headlight is turned on. I had the below questions:

-Can someone suggest if I can get fog lights installed in the same slot?
-Is there some model available that can function both as a fog light and DRL?
-How would the wiring work in that case? Will it void the warranty?
- Any other idea that anyone has here is welcome

@Behemoth @jaysheth
carnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 16:00   #12723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnab View Post
Any other idea that anyone has here is welcome
Hi,

You can go for a headlight projector upgrade instead of a fog light projector, mainly because headlights projectors have a better output than any fog light projector and also because of the reflector-type headlights it's a relatively straightforward job, there are many DIY threads available on the forum or you can search for a good installer near you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5698157 (Azure Grey 2006 Maruti-Suzuki Swift VXi | Ownership Review)

If you're not comfortable with getting your headlights opened, another option is HJG fog lamps in 4 or 5-lens configurations, they can be mounted on the lower part of the grill and operate via a separate harness so no worries about voiding the warranty.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5677813 (Kia Carens 1.4L Petrol Manual | Ownership Review | 20,000 kms up!)
NA-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 13:20   #12724

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-driver View Post

If you're not comfortable with getting your headlights opened, another option is HJG fog lamps in 4 or 5-lens configurations, they can be mounted on the lower part of the grill and operate via a separate harness so no worries about voiding the warranty.
Wow! I loved this idea. But the question I have is where do I place them in given Jazz's front layout. Here's a full picture of the front face.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot-20240331-12.30.398239pm.png

I have a couple of more questions.
-Are the HJG Future Eye 4 fog lights legal?
-Can they be placed without any cuts on the grille or bumper?
-Also, being based out of Bangalore, I was looking for some suggestions about some reliable place/s to buy and install these lights in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If your BRV has 3 inch round fog lights I would recommend upgrading them with GTR or AES fog projector lights. These will radically improve your night time visibility. These lights cost in the range of 9k-12k and you have variants available in 4300k as well as even tri-color (switchable) options of 2700k/4300k/6000k.
I also have IPH Tri colour fog projectors in my Jeep compass and the difference is immense. (Apart from that I also have 4300k Osram 50w Leds in my main headlight projectors). The fog projectors are significantly better than even the headlight projectors in output and reach.

Something like this from Aes
https://carconceptsshop.com/products...ojector-3-inch

Or this from GTR
https://caraccessoriesstore.net/prod...-FOG-PROJECTOR
@Behemoth - Requesting your guidance on this issue. Would any other light be applicable in the Jazz's case? Whats the best place to put it and going about this project?
Old 31st March 2024, 18:04   #12725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! I loved this idea. But the question I have is where do I place them in given Jazz's front layout. Here's a full picture of the front face.

Attachment 2588540

I have a couple of more questions.
-Are the HJG Future Eye 4 fog lights legal?
-Can they be placed without any cuts on the grille or bumper?
-Also, being based out of Bangalore, I was looking for some suggestions about some reliable place/s to buy and install these lights in Bangalore

@Behemoth - Requesting your guidance on this issue. Would any other light be applicable in the Jazz's case? Whats the best place to put it and going about this project?

In your case your options are a bit limited. You have reflector headlamps and putting led bulbs will not give you much benefit and will also cause glare to oncoming traffic.

The best option for you is headlight retrofit with good projectors like Aes or Osram CBI pro.

There is one additional option too which is a retrofit H4 led projector bulb which can give you the benefits of projectors without getting your headlights opened. This is h4 projector bulbs. (There may be some minor modification required though, which can be done without opening your headlight).
https://carconceptsshop.com/products...h-and-low-beam

You can go for this microlens option.

Regarding the HJG lights, I am not a fan of them as the light is very splotchy and messy in beam pattern and also the high beam is yellow and the low beam white.

Instead you could go for aux lights like the Aes Gwagen warrior lights. These have a good beam pattern and also have lasers

https://carconceptsshop.com/products...with-high-beam
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 00:44   #12726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In your case your options are a bit limited. You have reflector headlamps and putting led bulbs will not give you much benefit and will also cause glare to oncoming traffic.

The best option for you is headlight retrofit with good projectors like Aes or Osram CBI pro.

There is one additional option too which is a retrofit H4 led projector bulb which can give you the benefits of projectors without getting your headlights opened. This is h4 projector bulbs. (There may be some minor modification required though, which can be done without opening your headlight).
https://carconceptsshop.com/products...h-and-low-beam

You can go for this microlens option.

Regarding the HJG lights, I am not a fan of them as the light is very splotchy and messy in beam pattern and also the high beam is yellow and the low beam white.

Instead you could go for aux lights like the Aes Gwagen warrior lights. These have a good beam pattern and also have lasers

https://carconceptsshop.com/products...with-high-beam

Thanks so much @Behemoth for your ideas. About the aux lights how do you suggest I go about the installation and in which area of the front face? I dont think the front grille (that is made of fibre) is strong enough to hold such heavy lights with road jerks.

I was also wondering if we can get aftermarket fog light housing for the new Jazz BS6 model, which can house both fog light and DRL. Something like this below:

Name:  Screenshot 20240401 at 12.34.498239AM.png
Views: 117
Size:  642.2 KB

But the one available on car trends and boodmo is for 2016-18 model and wont fit into the latest BS6 model. Are you aware of a good place to enquire about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
And these are available at very good price at the moment from bodomo :

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-h4_l...of_2-58298705/

5800 bucks shipped.

I am using these in my Honda Jazz and am super impressed with their performance.
Hi @rroy92, I thought as a fellow Jazz user, I could ask you for a bit of help on the Osram 50w lights. How are the lights performing during rains and highway night drives? Do you also need to use Aux lights? And lastly can I request you for a couple of pics of how the led light has been fit? I have seen a couple of videos where the rubber seal seems to be covering the fan area. Is that an issue in your case and did you have to cut the rubber?
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:12   #12727
BHPian

Quote:
How are the lights performing during rains and highway night drives? Do you also need to use Aux lights?
Hi Carnab, the lights are performing great during all weathers. I do not need to use the fog lamps. Also they are stock fog lamps and they just light up the sides a bit.

Quote:
And lastly can I request you for a couple of pics of how the led light has been fit? I have seen a couple of videos where the rubber seal seems to be covering the fan area. Is that an issue in your case and did you have to cut the rubber?
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bootcut.png
Yes, they did cut the rubber boot a bit during installation. And yes, the fan is covered by the boot flap on the sides (with a little bit of open area thanks to the cuts in the sides, check the green highlight in the image) but the rear portion of the fan is mostly open. It would definitely reduce the effectiveness of the cooling, but I am not sure if and how it affects the bulbs.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lightballastsecuredbyziptie.png
The ballast (I am pretty sure this is the wrong term in context of of LED bulbs) is attached by zip ties as show in this pic.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20231010_170759.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20231010_170805.jpg
Old 9th April 2024, 08:29   #12728

Headlight upgrade for my Polo TSI

I've been using my Polo on stock headlight bulbs and it's completing 3 years this month. I've noticed the bulbs aren't as bright as they used to be and wanted to change/upgrade them.

1. Replacing the existing bulbs with a new halogen set similar to the stock ones. (I honestly didn't have any issue with the stock bulbs and they were decent enough for night driving)

2. Switching to LED: I've visited a couple of accessories stores and they weren't even willing to show me halogen bulbs and were only recommending upgrading to LEDs. Since Polo comes with H7 setup, I would have to get 4 LED bulbs, which is turning out to be a little expensive. I've looked at Osram 50W & 25W warm white setup. Even Blaupunkt was an option but it was pure white.

Is the upgrade to LEDs worth it? If yes, 25W or 50W? Can I do a mix and match of 25W for low beam and 50W for high beam? Please suggest.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th April 2024 at 09:17. Reason: Deleted last line.
Old 9th April 2024, 11:00   #12729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Manish, I have shared my experience of replacing the 55/60W halogens in the projectors of my 2014 Honda City with Osram 50W / 4300K LEDs and my experience has been great. You can read more about it and the light emittance in this post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5589080 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
Does this Fit in the Gen1 Creta 1.6 diesel ? Since I have relays installed will it cause damage damage to the Osram 50w/ 4300k ?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks