Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 18:25   #5221
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am looking to improve the lighting on my Ritz. I do lots of Night time driving and i feel the 90/100 setup just doesn't cut it. Is any one aware of any Xenon HID Projector setup done on Ritz? Would a swift setup also suffice? Or should i plonk in couple of Hellas? Would ruin the look upfront, but what the hell!
Old 27th June 2011, 18:44   #5222
BHPian

Ok guys,

Tried out the ' turning headlight' fix on my car this weekend. It was partially successful!

What I did was Fix two LED torches (the front only) at an approximate angle of 90 degrees to each other. They were connected to a common power source (9V cell), with resistances to step down the current to 6V (for both LED's). The switch was a remote switch working on the FM frequency with a low power tranmitter fitted inside the car.
The lights were placed in the front bumper of the car in the center held down by duct tape. Whenever I had to take a turn I would turn it on with the remote switch and it gave decent illumination.

Sorry, have not had the time to take pics and stuff, so probably by monday should have something.
Old 27th June 2011, 23:49   #5223
BHPian

Finally changed my stock setup to 90/100 with bosch kit. I think i still need aux lights. Have to figure out a way to mount them.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:01   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am looking to improve the lighting on my Ritz. I do lots of Night time driving and i feel the 90/100 setup just doesn't cut it. Is any one aware of any Xenon HID Projector setup done on Ritz? Would a swift setup also suffice? Or should i plonk in couple of Hellas? Would ruin the look upfront, but what the hell!
Swift projector setup wont fit onto Ritz. Am talking about the kit as a whole. I have seen few cars (Ritz) with projector headlights. Hellas would be the apt choice. They provide better visibility and cheaper than projector kits with HIDs.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 10:07   #5225
Senior - BHPian

@naveenvenkatesh and @YaeJay both, have you ensured the headlights are correctly aimed?

If you still want to install auxiliary lights, you will have to go for a front guard, or mount the lights directly onto the bumpers. Another costly option would be to get the bumbers cut/modified to house the aux lights.

Old 28th June 2011, 15:18   #5226
BHPian

@honeybee, i believe the lights are correctly aligned.

Since the lack of any reliable HID kit for Ritz, Aux lights should be my only way out.
I will enquire about Hellas this weekend. Any idea how much would it cost? Including labour?
What is the best way to mount the lights? Should i install a front guard or mount the lights directly onto the bumpers?
What is the best place to get this done in Bangalore?
Old 28th June 2011, 15:19   #5227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Swift projector setup wont fit onto Ritz. Am talking about the kit as a whole. I have seen few cars (Ritz) with projector headlights. Hellas would be the apt choice. They provide better visibility and cheaper than projector kits with HIDs.
I have a swift as well. Is there a good Kit i can install on the swift at least? I see a swift with HID in your profile picture. Could you give me some info about this?
Old 28th June 2011, 16:19   #5228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a swift as well. Is there a good Kit i can install on the swift at least? I see a swift with HID in your profile picture. Could you give me some info about this?
That's my ride. I paid 13.5k for the projector kit and 7.5k for HID's. I had previously used 90/100 Osram halogens. I find projectors to be better. I know many wont agree to this but I find it really good. But wont perform well in rains. I use 4300k HID's which offers the best visibility range. But here are the latest projectors for the swift. It's currrently not available in India. Have to ship it from Singapore/Malaysia. Comes around 20k.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hl2.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image447.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image450.jpg  

Old 28th June 2011, 16:26   #5229
BHPian

Cool. Thanks. Any idea if i can get it done here in Bangalore?
Old 28th June 2011, 16:31   #5230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Thanks. Any idea if i can get it done here in Bangalore?
The kit that I currently have is available in Blore. You should be getting it for around 12k.
Old 30th June 2011, 20:50   #5231

[quote=naveen.raju;2381206]Congrats on your new install. Here are some of my thoughts on this.

1) The kit should include ceramic holders since OEM holders cant withstand the high heat generated. If you dont have one, kindly fix them asap.
2) No. It would be absolutely safe. If you dont go for them, it will mess up your HL's.
3) There have been mixed reactions when it comes to NB and XtremeVision. If you are satisfied with the current setup, dont change it.
4) I would suggest you to stick with the same wattage. Fogs are not designed to provide performance like HL's. There's a limit to it. Since the reflectors are not designed like HL's, you wont get a huge light spread. If you install higher wattage bulbs, it will definitely e brighter but the vision wont be improved to a great extent. The best option would be go for better brands and stick with the same wattage.
Also, since you are looking for better visiblity, go for 4300k bulbs.

Cheers

Hi Naveen,
Thanks for the advice. Sorry I didn't reply earlier - was travelling, haven't looked at tbhp in weeks.
Re the lens, my worry was that the higher-wattage bulbs might turn my headlamp lens black or opaque - I think you misunderstood and thought I was asking if the ceramic bulb holders would damage the lens.
Any thoughts on lens damage due to the new bulbs? A few Getz owners have reported it on this thread.
Cheers
Old 30th June 2011, 23:41   #5232
Senior - BHPian

I've been running 100/90w since the last 2+ years. One bulb sadly conked off yesterday (the low beam only).

Is there any better bulb than Philips Rally?
Old 30th June 2011, 23:53   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I've been running 100/90w since the last 2+ years. One bulb sadly conked off yesterday (the low beam only).

Is there any better bulb than Philips Rally?
I would recommend Phillips Essential Vision.
Cost 300 per bulb,has a slight blue tint on its glass,but it throws yellowish white light.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:56   #5234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Plus the parking bulb doesn't help illuminate the road in any way. It's way too up and way too weak for that.

We could try this with the foglamps,
How dumb I am ! I wanted to write fog lamps instead of parking lights! I have no idea how did I manage to write it and still missed it while proof reading !

Quote:
I am looking to improve the lighting on my Ritz. I do lots of Night time driving and i feel the 90/100 setup just doesn't cut it.
Why do you "feel" 100W is not enough? I would suggest you try it first and then go for aux lights. I had Osram NBs [100W output] for 1 year of my night drives and they were excellent.

I doubt HIDs will be a good option if you drive too much in the night [6-8 hours]. My HIDs conked off in 3 months or so and I suppose that the long night travels with the HIDs on for almost 8 hours did it.

Quote:
Any idea how much would it cost? Including labour?
What is the best way to mount the lights? Should i install a front guard or mount the lights directly onto the bumpers?
What is the best place to get this done in Bangalore?
Hellas should cost you from 4000/- depending on your choice. You should find this in almost all shops in JC road or some nice accessories shop. I believe the shop which sells you will also either get it done or point you to people who do installs. Even Surakshaa had offered me to get this done. But couple of points you need to note

1. Make sure the clamps fixed for mounting the lights are strong. Else the lamps will keep wobbling when you drive.

2. Make sure the air flow to the filters are not obstructed by the lamps, so please choose a nice position

3. Also make sure the lamps are below the lines of the head lights. Anything above the head light is "illegal".

4. Make sure you have a secure parking. You may not want to worry about the hellas getting robbed.

5. If there is a way you can actually have the bolts of hellas inside the bumper [first fit the hellas and then lock the bumper in place while mounting], the better & safer its going to be. Else please make sure you buy anti theft nuts [Barri nuts]. These are not available in India now but can be shipped from Canada or so.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st July 2011 at 00:10.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:57   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I would recommend Phillips Essential Vision.
Cost 300 per bulb,has a slight blue tint on its glass,but it throws yellowish white light.
AFAIK, all these special nomenclature bulbs come in 60/55w.

Does the same hold true for 'Phillips Essential Vision' as well? Also, please keep in mind that I strictly need yellow light. Mumbai rains are crazy and I've faced visibility issues with Crystal Vision earlier (white / blue tinge).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks