Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2023, 16:00   #12661
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys I own a 2012 Swift with standard factory installed Philips halogen 55/60 headlight bulbs and the fog lights.

The bulb illumination leaves a lot to be desired. And then coupled with scratches + light scatter on windscreen makes it even more difficult.

While windshield I will be replacing this weekend, it is lighting that I need help upon.

MY question is - what would be the best head light and fog light combination.

My driving is 30% long drives on highway, 50% city and 20% to outskirts of city. And typical running in a year 10k kilometers. Rain driving on highway is once in a blue moon.

I am confused with 130%, 150% and now 200% halogens, also between Osram and Philips, then there are LED and projector lamps. Also there 90/100 upgrade with Relays. Plus tons of choices for fog lights.

I know that a lower kelvin bulb in the yellow spectrum is good for visibility and also good in rain / fog. So what spectrum light shall I choose.

I did ordered the Osram NB 200 H4 from boodmo but then cancelled it as 2700 rupees is too much for a set and then it will have a lesser lifespan.

So have come here for recommendations. Need your help friends.
Hey! I recently upgraded to 100/90W. I'm using Philips Rally 100/90, they're awesome and extremely cost effective. Relay, wiring harness and bulbs together should not cost you more than ₹1500.

The 60/55W bulbs that are advertised to offer much better illumination are really very expensive in comparison and they're only 60W and 55W in the high and low beams respectively yet again. They're only marginally better than your stock setup. I used to use Philips XV before switching to rally bulbs and I feel the difference is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post

I'd upgraded the Philips XV 60/55 bulbs to a pair of Philips Rally 100/90W just before the trip and was very eager to test them out. Man, they did not disappoint. These bulbs are in a separate league of their own. Driving back home after dark did not seem daunting, these bulbs light up the road really well and offer good throw. Driving on the 2 lane state highways was easy, the road remained well lit even with oncoming traffic. The high beams are insanely good. One doesn't really need the highbeams all that much as the low beams get the job done most of the times. Highbeams made the most stubborn drivers/ignorant drivers switch to their low beams. Overall, I'm mighty impressed with the higher wattage bulbs.

Attachment 2526180

Attachment 2526181

Photos don't really do justice in showcasing really how good these bulbs are compared to my old setup.
My suggestion would be for you to use the 100/90W (Stick to Philps Rally) You'd not really need extra fog lights with this setup for your mentioned use case scenario.

Hope this helps!
Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 16:36   #12662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post

My suggestion would be for you to use the 100/90W (Stick to Philps Rally) You'd not really need extra fog lights with this setup for your mentioned use case scenario.

Hope this helps!
Piyush.
It helps definitely, but 90/100 would be in long run melt the plastic body? I run 90/100 with relay on my 1958 fiat with no fear, but these being plastic headlight I am hesitant and secondly will these be legal?
Old 11th December 2023, 23:45   #12663
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I own a 2012 Swift with standard factory installed Philips halogen 55/60 headlight bulbs and the fog lights.

MY question is - what would be the best head light and fog light combination.

I know that a lower kelvin bulb in the yellow spectrum is good for visibility and also good in rain / fog. So what spectrum light shall I choose.

I did ordered the Osram NB 200 H4 from boodmo but then cancelled it as 2700 rupees is too much for a set and then it will have a lesser lifespan.

So have come here for recommendations. Need your help friends.
Hi Manish, I have shared my experience of replacing the 55/60W halogens in the projectors of my 2014 Honda City with Osram 50W / 4300K LEDs and my experience has been great. You can read more about it and the light emittance in this post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5589080 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
Old 12th December 2023, 14:03   #12664
BHPian

Quote:
It helps definitely, but 90/100 would be in long run melt the plastic body? I run 90/100 with relay on my 1958 fiat with no fear, but these being plastic headlight I am hesitant and secondly will these be legal?
100/90 on the long run should be just okay but again it depends on the quality of headlight housing. Most of the wiring harnesses do come with ceramic/bakelite holders to be able to handle the extra heat generated by these higher wattage bulbs. Worst case scenario your reflectors might darken or fading of the housing might occur. Again I'm not saying that they will happen but, there is definitely a possibility.

Regarding legality, they're definitely not legal. But I know a lot of people who are running this setup that includes me and I've never had any issues with cops for this. That being said, one must be judicious with the usage of higher wattage bulbs and should make sure your headlights are aimed properly along with using your headlight leveler so as to not blind oncoming traffic!

Your call end of day

Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 14:23   #12665
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a 2019 WRV with halogen headlights. I recently replaced the bulbs to LED and quite satisfied with it, except of course during rains where the LEDs don't give good illumination unless I'm the only one on road

I would like to know if it's possible to replace the entire headlight assembly with that of the 2020 WRV model which comes with projectors. And what would be the best projector fog light for WRV.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th December 2023, 18:16   #12666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Cross posting here, as its an urgent query:

I have a query here: How should I wire it, and do I need a relay? If anyone has installed something similar, can you please guide me on which fuse to tap for signal, which relay to use (links would be great), and any suggestion for a good quality switch.

Thanks!
Hi, sorry to hear of the poor experience. I am in the same boat - looking to improve lighting situation on my Scorpio N and in the process I had interacted with Dautopros (Indiranagar). They seem to be the main Aozoom dealer and have done many Aozoom installations. Reaching out to them can help you get the right solution. I have ordered Aozoom TH 03 and will be working with them to get them installed.
Peepsimus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 18:19   #12667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepsimus View Post
Hi, sorry to hear of the poor experience. I am in the same boat - looking to improve lighting situation on my Scorpio N and in the process I had interacted with Dautopros (Indiranagar). They seem to be the main Aozoom dealer and have done many Aozoom installations. Reaching out to them can help you get the right solution. I have ordered Aozoom TH 03 and will be working with them to get them installed.
Thank You !! Whenever you get it done, please do share the snaps and wiring information.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 18:20   #12668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Manish, I have shared my experience of replacing the 55/60W halogens in the projectors of my 2014 Honda City with Osram 50W / 4300K LEDs and my experience has been great. You can read more about it and the light emittance in this post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5589080 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

And these are available at very good price at the moment from bodomo :

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-h4_l...of_2-58298705/

5800 bucks shipped.

I am using these in my Honda Jazz and am super impressed with their performance.

Last edited by rroy92 : 12th December 2023 at 18:21.
rroy92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:22   #12669
BHPian

I have a Thunderbird 350. I am planning for a twin LED headlight setup mod. Which bulbs would be advisable which will not impact the stock wiring or battery?
I have installed Roots Windtone twin horn. I think it includes a cut-out for the horn, I m not sure though.

Stock bulb: Osram Hilux 64185 PRC 12v 35/35w hs1u
Old 26th December 2023, 06:34   #12670
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks all for help. I was on official tour before my long drive, so could not do much for car. I did what was available next to my home. Osram NB 150 and a buff of windshield.

However I am not yet done, Next week will give for windshield replacement with new fast tag. Plus will get proper light setup.

Have decided on LED (lowest Kelvin) for headlights and a yellow fog light upgrade on the bottom fog lights for rainy days.

Hope this will be all right. Will not increase any watts thus would not need any relay or wiring changes for headlights.
Old 28th December 2023, 15:01   #12671

Hi, I have a Dzire VDI in which there is no fog lamps (mid variant) and plan on adding them and upgrade from the horrible stock headlamps. From multiple forum reviews Osram H4 bulbs seems like the perfect upgrade that can be done as it's just a plug and play unit. I don't have much of an idea about the fog lamps. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 31st December 2023, 13:27   #12672
UMe
BHPian

Hi,
Recently I bought Osram 50W / 4300K LEDs from boodmo and after a day or 2 I notice that, one side led's fan is always on, as soon as the switch is turned on. This produces a vibration on the headlight and buzzing sound can be heard inside cabin too. This is not the case with the other light. I have already reported this to boodmo and currently awaiting a reply.
Has anyone faced this or any idea what could be wrong or if it could be a product defect?

Last edited by UMe : 31st December 2023 at 13:43.
Old 31st December 2023, 13:33   #12673
BHPian

I have a 2016 Ford Ecosport (Pre facelift) model which comes with stock fog lamps & Halogen headlamps. I have already upgraded the headlamps to LED(My Mistake) but illumination hasn't improved much since LED's aren't much useful with reflectors and light is getting scattered. Now i wish to upgrade fog lights to projector ones since i can't experiment with LED's anymore. Kindly suggest good projector fog light's in a decent budget.
Old 1st January 2024, 20:56   #12674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Hi,
Recently I bought Osram 50W / 4300K LEDs from boodmo and after a day or 2 I notice that, one side led's fan is always on, as soon as the switch is turned on. This produces a vibration on the headlight and buzzing sound can be heard inside cabin too. This is not the case with the other light. I have already reported this to boodmo and currently awaiting a reply.
Has anyone faced this or any idea what could be wrong or if it could be a product defect?
The fan for the leds is always on when the leds are lit. In your case it seems that either one of the bulbs is defective as or it is not seated correctly in the housing. Also you should not be hearing the noise of the fan if the housing is properly closed and sealed. Please check if your bulb is seated correctly and the headlight caps are properly locked and sealed.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 06:45   #12675
UMe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Please check if your bulb is seated correctly and the headlight caps are properly locked and sealed.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I was informed by FNG, that the led fan is On only intermittently, as and when temperature sensor is triggered. Let me try to re-fit and check. By the way I was told by boodmo to check the bulb in a different car. Let's see how that goes.

Reply from Boodmo:
"There could be two causes for this issue: it might stem from either the installation process or a defect in the part itself. We kindly ask you to test this specific light bulb in a different vehicle or try a different bulb in this vehicle. Should the bulb continue to malfunction even in another vehicle, we'll do our utmost to facilitate a refund for you."

Last edited by UMe : 4th January 2024 at 06:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks