Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 08:00   #11161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
For the midrange cars that come with OEM LED lights, what kind of lights do they have? Array/matrix or traditional LED bulbs?

Namely, what do Vento, DZire, Ciaz, etc. come with?

They come with high intensity LEDs which are arranged in the form of a matrix, but the LED count is low. Innova for example has four LEDs behind the projector. Even the Marutis have two LEDs for low beam and two for high beam which sit behind the projector. They cant be replaced since the PCB for the LEDs are integrated with the body of the projector which aids in heat dissipation. The driver for the LEDs is usually a part of the same board or located elsewhere within the headlight assembly.

I got a chance to open up the LED headlights of the TVS Apache 310 recently and strip it down to bits. It comes with three LEDs each for high beam and low beam behind each projector. Hence, that makes a total of six LEDs per projector and 12 for the whole assembly(twin projector). The total power rating of the bulbs is 35.5W. Each individual bulb dissipates around 3W of power, perhaps a higher power bulb derated to run at a slightly lower wattage.

The downside of these OEM assemblies as far as I have seen is that many LEDs are connected in series. Hence, if an individual LED bulb fuses, the entire assembly will have to be replaced. In case of the Apache assembly itself, the left and right side low beam bulbs are wired in series. Hence, if a single LED fuses, then the entire circuit is broken and then the entire headlight assembly which costs upwards of 23k should be replaced.
I can go home and share pictures in the evening if it is of interest to people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
I have a Jeep Compass and find that the headlights are inadequate for the car. Factory fitted headlamps are Sylvania Halogens, HB3/9005, inside projectors.
I was looking for headlamps to upgrade the light output and throw distance and came across some Philips & Osram H3/9005 options.
LED Bulbs need a different type of projector assembly to perform well and hence, I would not suggest it to you. Conventional Halogen or HID is a single light source positioned at a fixed point inside the assembly which emits light in all possible directions. For this, the reflector is built in such a way that it gathers all the light and directs it towards the projector which throws light onto the road. In case of an LED, the arrangement is in the form of a set of individual bulbs which emit light in a limited field of view. Hence, for LEDs, the reflector design is in such a way that the light from each individual bulb needs to be directed in a different way towards the projector in order to achieve a uniform light beam. Hence, trying to use the generic LED options in a projector will not efficiently use the light output. Instead, switch to HIDs with 4300K or 6000Kelvin colour temperature. The output of HID is far superior to both Halogen and LED and they work best in this type of a projector.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st August 2018 at 08:09.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 20:02   #11162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENnist View Post
Thank you. I'd also appreciate if you could clarify my other point with the technicians at Kochi please...

"I have also been contemplating a LED setup (or at least upgraded lights) on my 2011 W8. I believe the headlight internal design on your face-lift version and mine are same, so this setup would fit equally well, would you know?"

Forgot to ask...have you changed the bulbs for static bending lamps and fog lights too with LEDs?
As far as I know the internal design is the same except for the LED strip.
Thus the Ultinons should fit your lights just as well as they fit mine.

I intend to change my fogs to LED only if I can find them in H8/H11 at 4300K. White light is pretty much useless in fog.

The bending lights I am sorely tempted to go for a Philips set which is available on Amazon as they are the same colour (6000K) but they cost around 5k, and I am holding off as I have spent nearly 25k on these Ultinons so far.
Old 24th August 2018, 12:16   #11163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Don't buy either as none of them will work with the Compass. I have tried 3 different LED options on my Compass and none work properly. Some have a messed up beam and some flicker. Don't waste money on these. The best option is the Philips HIR 9011 halogen bulbs which I have used (though those are available only from amazon.com US). The wattage is same as stock at 65W and beam is exactly same and lumen output is 2350 Lumens vs stock lumens of 1650.
This fitment is same wattage halogen as stock and will not affect your warranty. Any other modifications like HID or LED will affect your warranty too.
Also if you really want to try LED bulbs, please try from Aliexpress as you will get the same bulbs much cheaper from there.

Thanks Behemoth. I'll see if I can get them carried back from US by someone from my office after I order from amazon.com.

Another bhpian (Anupam) who has a car workshop was advising me to go for HID, but I believe that does not make sense as it will effect my warranty.
Old 25th August 2018, 18:50   #11164
BHPian

I am using a phillips 100/90 set up in my hyundai i10 since the last 2 years. There has been no blackening of the reflectors till date. A relay is also in place. Currently I am facing a unique problem. My right side headlight in its low beam situation sometimes works and sometimes does not. Rest all are working absolutely fine...High beam right side and both low and high beam on the left.
Can someone shed some light on this situation please
Old 26th August 2018, 14:06   #11165
BHPian

Hi all,

For those interested, I am posting here my beam shots for my current LED headlight setup on my XUV500.

Low Beam (Projector) : Philips X-treme Ultinon 25W LED bulb (25W each) at 6000K. These were upgraded from 55W 4300K Halogen to 14W Ultinon 6000K LED and then to the current 25W X-treme Ultinon LED.

High Beam (Halogen Reflector) : Philips X-treme Ultinon 25W LED bulb (25W each) at 6000K

I have not done any night travel since upgrading the Low Beams from 14W regular Ultinon LED to 25W X-treme Ultinon LED given the weather and flood situation in Kerala, so I have not been able to get any onroad beam pics yet.

However, I will be travelling to and from Kottayam next week and I will try to get some good onroad beam pics then and will post them here.

One thing that my driver has noted after the upgrade to X-treme Ultinons in the Low Beams is that in hindsight, he feels there was a central weakness in the beam from the 14W Ultinons that the X-treme Ultinons replaced, but that could mere perception because of the brighter beam from the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-low-beam.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-both.jpg  

Last edited by pillainp : 26th August 2018 at 14:14.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 15:46   #11166
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded my High Beams on the Honda City to Oedro LED Bulbs which provide a nice cut off and beam pattern. Find the link to my review with pictures on my ownership thread: URL
Old 26th August 2018, 17:03   #11167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritwik View Post
My right side headlight in its low beam situation sometimes works and sometimes does not. Rest all are working absolutely fine...High beam right side and both low and high beam on the left.
Can someone shed some light on this situation please
Change the relay and socket. They degrade with use. I too am thinking of getting my aux lighting rewired after noticing that they have got degraded after two years of intense usage.

Can someone tell me where I can get 55/100w H4 bulbs in India?
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 14:36   #11168
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,

Took your advice & ordered a pair of the Philips HIR 9011 from amazon.com Thank you.
Old 27th August 2018, 16:15   #11169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
Hi Behemoth,

Took your advice & ordered a pair of the Philips HIR 9011 from amazon.com Thank you.
Good decision. You will only need to slightly modify the top tab by 3mm with a nail clipper to make it fit. Just do an image search for 9011 to 9005 modification and you will get the info.
Here is a link from youtube to help you.

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th August 2018 at 16:21.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 00:53   #11170
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Someone please recommend me a shop on JC road, Bangalore where i can get headlight bulb replaced for my Suzuki Intruder bike. I want to change from the stock halogen bulb to a LED bulb, however, i do not want to alter any wiring or do anything which could compromise the warranty of the bike.
Also, please recommend a brand of the LED bulb which i should go for and if the same will be available in JC Road Market.
Old 3rd September 2018, 07:19   #11171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Someone please recommend me a shop on JC road, Bangalore where i can get headlight bulb replaced for my Suzuki Intruder bike. I want to change from the stock halogen bulb to a LED bulb, however, i do not want to alter any wiring or do anything which could compromise the warranty of the bike.
Also, please recommend a brand of the LED bulb which i should go for and if the same will be available in JC Road Market.

I would highly recommend you stick to the stock halogen until your warranty is active.

If you are thoroughly dissatisfied with the output then consider changing to another halogen with a higher wattage.

Aftermarket led bulbs on a bike designed to run on halogens will only give you poor output due to the design of the reflector inside and will blind oncoming traffic, not to mention your visibility will be pathetic.

Consider adding secondary aux lights too which you can use only when required.
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:06   #11172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
You can change to LED but the first thing to do is avoid JC road. lol.

Why not go to some reputed shop or buy online like most of us here do and get it installed at a known shop or on your own. It's not that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
I would highly recommend you stick to the stock halogen until your warranty is active.

If you are thoroughly dissatisfied with the output then consider changing to another halogen with a higher wattage.

Aftermarket led bulbs on a bike designed to run on halogens will only give you poor output due to the design of the reflector inside and will blind oncoming traffic, not to mention your visibility will be pathetic.

Consider adding secondary aux lights too which you can use only when required.
Apologies but this is not true. The whole purpose of this thread as well as mine is to show that LED's work well on reflectors.

What you say is true for HID but not for LED. Do read through this whole thread as well as mine and you will see.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-upgrades.html (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...s-upgrade.html (DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd September 2018 at 09:16.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:17   #11173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

What you say is true for HID but not for LED. Do read through this whole thread as well as mine and you will see.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...s-upgrade.html (DIY: Ford EcoSport LED Headlights upgrade)
Sorry for being inaccurate Vid, my post from personally experiencing led bulbs on motercycles.

Also personally owning a Dominar with an led headlight my experience has been that altough the output is brilliant in normal conditions the light doesn't penetrate at all in rain and fog.

Any pointers on how it can be improved for riding in rain and fog?
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:25   #11174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Sorry for being inaccurate Vid, my post from personally experiencing led bulbs on motercycles.

Also personally owning a Dominar with an led headlight my experience has been that altough the output is brilliant in normal conditions the light doesn't penetrate at all in rain and fog.

Any pointers on how it can be improved for riding in rain and fog?
The rain and fog issue is not specific to LED's. The problem is that most LED's have a colour temperature of 6000K. This more blue than white/yellow. For rain you need yellow below 5,000K. Right now the options below 5,000K are almost non existent.

Same goes for HID's, if you have stock HID's of 6,000K they will be useless in rains. Even if you have really good projectors.

So even if you add auxiliary LED's like a bar or spots, they will provide a lot more light but in rain being 6,000K will be reduced.

While halogen's are warmer at 3,000K the light output from a halogen is nowhere close the output from the LED. I tried various halogen bulbs and now have moved to LED. I even tried having halogen on one side and LED on the other. Even though in rains the halogen works better, the LED due to the additional amount of light was more to my liking. I couldn't go back to halogens after the LED's.

So what I did was changed the fog lights to warmer 4,300K HID bulbs.

So it really has nothing to do with reflector design or LED bulb construction, just the colour temperature. Right now the LED's are really getting better but they would be perfect if there was a 4,300K LED from a known brand.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:12   #11175
Distinguished - BHPian

I was running a pair of HID's with a relay harness in the fogs in our i20 for the past 5 years and it made night driving a breeze along with Philips Xtreme Vision H4 in the headlamps. One of the HID conked off and I was not sure if it was the issue with the bulb or the ballast. Since LED's had come a long way in terms of quality and usability, I decided to move from HID to LED. I wanted to go for a color temperature of 4300K and CSP type since they mimic the halogen bulbs to the max extent but it was impossible to find the 4300K color temperature bulb mainly because of the relatively less used H27/880/881 socket type in automobiles! The least color temperature I could find was 5500K from Aliexpress brand CNSUNNYLIGHT. I ordered one right away and it received it in a month.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNSU...70dd3c003eQcCB

After fitting the LED in the fogs, i saw that they were not lighting up! I thought the LED's are defective, then realised it could be a polarity issue. The polarity of the car wiring harness did not match with the polarity of the LED when i checked with a multimeter. This LED did not come with automatic polarity corrector circuit for LED hence had to do a minor surgery by cutting the wiring of the LED and cross-connecting the wires. This was done with proper soldering and use of heat-shrink tubing. Plugged the LED's and they fired up! A moment of glory LOL!

These are easily more than twice as bright as the Halogen H27 bulbs.Because they are CSP LED , the beam is focussed and does not blind the others on the road unlike HID's which caused a lot of scatter .And the best part is that the fog lamp enclosure does not get heated up at all. It barely got warm with a hour of usage in traffic. Very happy with this aspect. Will test them on the highway drives to get the real picture.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks