Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 16:16   #11251
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All automotive bulbs are DC 12V and not AC.
I don't have a different opinion.
My question was to understand where was the word "DC" mentioned on the package, my poor sight couldn't find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
While dynamos do produce DC
Produce DC : NO
It's converted

Quote:
No I am not confusing anything .
I'll use the 55w h4 bulb directly, and not by wiring it to the battery. The activa's dynamo is rated for 140 watts, I think it can take 55w bulb without any problems.
Keep us posted on the outcome
Old 5th October 2018, 14:03   #11252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll use the 55w h4 bulb directly, and not by wiring it to the battery. The activa's dynamo is rated for 140 watts, I think it can take 55w bulb without any problems.
Not a good ideas as the bulb will conk off within days if not hours! The LED bulb needs a stable DC power supply (though they claim 9-16V) it really needs 11-15 volts. The dynamo in a scooter is extremely variable and voltage varies like crazy from 1.5-15V. The Halogen bulbs are fine with this variation as the filaments just glow lesser. But an LED bulb driver is a different story altogether and will not work on a power supplied by the dynamo and will cause quick failure. If you really want to use the bulb, have the headlight rewired with a separate cable directly from the battery. Even then you will need to be careful not to crank the scooter with the Led bulb on as that may also cause failure due to the high current draw by the starter and subsequent voltage drop in the battery. To overcome this you should also consider upgrading to a higher rated battery too.

Also to clarify on your confusion on whether halogen bulbs are AC or DC - they can actually run on both! Incandescent filament technology allows the heating to happen with either DC or AC. Other technologies like LED are mostly DC unless you add an AC to DC converter also in the driver

Last edited by Behemoth : 5th October 2018 at 14:06.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:54   #11253
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys
Very simple question. In my Fortuner, the decorative lights interior foot light bulbs installed near are very sane. They are incandescent bulbs with low wattage. I want to install some good looking white or blue lights. There are multiple options available online but not sure, which one has to be used because of wattages and other specifications that may cause damage to the electricals.

Have any of you used those lights? if yes, request to share the links at online shops
Old 7th October 2018, 13:53   #11254

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There are two options:
1) Stock wattage but a better brand (philips/osram). This is a straight forward fix but the improvement is only 20-30%.
2) As you had mentioned (90/100w) - The visibility improves in this case but on the other hand a lot of heat will be produced (if you use it a lot at a stretch. Else it's absolutely fine). I think it's better you get this installed from an experienced mechanic. If you think you can DIY, then no issues. Just mentioned so that you can be on the safe side

If you have projectors, go for HID's (Philips/Osram/P8). Make sure you stick to 4300k bulbs. That provides the best visibility. If you dont have projectors, go for the options that I mentioned above.

Thanks for your response. I did get a cut out installed with H7 bulbs for my S10. these are the problems i face on and off:

1. The focussing is an issue. I get this fixed by going to vijay wheel alignment and he fixes the focussing.
2. One of the bulbs fused out as it wasnt fixed properly. Post fixing the new bulb, i am again facing focussing issues. I had a terrible experience with the low beam not focussing properly recently and was driving in fluke !!

Can you / anyone on this forum please share the address / contact details of a good auto electrician who can fix this once and for all.
Old 8th October 2018, 11:43   #11255
BHPian

Re: 12 CSP led bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Has anyone tried this type of bulb?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0

It has got 12 csp led's per bulb compared to the usual 6. So theoretically, it should have more even 360* coverage, more wattage and should mimic halogen better as well. Looks like it is fairly new as there are not many orders.
An update on this bulb. I got it last week and installed over the weekend.

Like mentioned earlier, I had already tried out regular LED headlights (XHP-50) but stopped using it due to the scatter and lack of focus of the light beam. Since CSP LED chips were supposed to be better at focus, tried this out and in theory, CSP chips on all 4 sides meant no gaps. But while it is better than regular LED, it still lacks focus like Halogen and will blind oncoming traffic, though to a lesser degree than XHP-50. These bulbs are bright, easily twice as bright as H9 halogen 65W. It uses much less power (around 20W) and runs much cooler than the XHP-50. The fan is bit noisy though and can be heard inside the car with engine off.

Packaging not as good or premium as the earlier XHP-50 bulb.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-6.jpg

The 4 side CSP LED Bulb
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-7.jpg

Left is XHP-50 LED, right is H9 Halogen
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-1.jpg

Left is 4 side CSP LED, right is H9 Halogen
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-2.jpg

Only Left side is on, low beam plus 4 side CSP LED
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-4.jpg

Only right side is on, low beam plus Halogen
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-csp-led-4-5.jpg

Overall impressions:
XHP-50 puts out more light
4 side CSP is close but less output, slightly better focus and more reach than XHP-50
Halogen still is better wrt focus and reach

I need to try and find one which best suits my cars reflector. Will try the regular 2 side CSP next.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 8th October 2018, 18:20   #11256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
After waiting for FCA for a year to come up with a solution for the weak headlights on the Jeep Compass, I finally got frustrated enough to upgrade to HIDs. During my research for the upgrade I considered all the top brands for HID & LED including Morimoto. I also bought 2 pairs of Philips HIR 9011 halogens as advised by Behemoth in the forum.
Attachment 1801553
Hi Abhoumick
When you installed the HID kit on your Compass did you get any ground wire shadow in the low beam ? When I installed the HID kit on my Laura I did get a shadow as the return wire was on top. I modified the retainer clip and fitted the bulb upside down in that (it was H7 type). In the case of the Compass the bulb is HB3 in which case the ground wire of the HID bulb will come on top and may cause a shadow. Is this shadow visible in your case?
I have ordered the Canbus Asic kit and will also be installing it myself on my Compass when I receive it from Aliexpress.
How is your overall lighting improvement with the HID kit in the Compass?
Old 8th October 2018, 19:16   #11257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Let's consider what Sajjt has mentioned about the issue being Optics, not the wattage. In this case why not opt for a projector set up with stock wattage halogen? You get good beam pattern and no extra load on electricals.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:26   #11258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Let's consider what Sajjt has mentioned about the issue being Optics, not the wattage. In this case why not opt for a projector set up with stock wattage halogen? You get good beam pattern and no extra load on electricals.
Have upgraded to 40/45 watt halogen for now, and am satisfied with the output for now, will see what to do next in the coming months.
Old 9th October 2018, 12:57   #11259
BHPian

Quote:
For projector you need to have a powerful source: min of 55W halogen, but it's meaningless due to inconsistent power output from stock AC dynamo (power varies with rpm), you need to have steady output for a better beam in case of projectors.

Quote:
Have upgraded to 40/45 watt halogen for now, and am satisfied with the output for now, will see what to do next in the coming months.
Glad to hear that you are happy with the mod. Keep going its a never ending process for a DIYer

Few more options:

1. Get an aux LED lamp and feed it from the battery using an extra switch, thereby you can use both the headlamp and the aux lamp at the same time for better visibility.

2. If you can reroute the stock electricals, stock battery will support a LED headlamp bulb. Swap with the new LED headlamp assembly and mod the electricals where the results are guaranteed as its a OE setup.

Don't swap with a Chinese Headlight bulb on a stock HL assy because of the mismatch in light source and the the optics: too much of glares
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 17:09   #11260
Distinguished - BHPian

@RedOne - I happened to watch the Headlight Revolution shootout sometime ago
They recommended this brand called GTR lighting for getting a good beam pattern. Of you are experimenting with LED swaps, check it out and let us know please.
Old 11th October 2018, 23:06   #11261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@RedOne - I happened to watch the Headlight Revolution shootout sometime ago
They recommended this brand called GTR lighting for getting a good beam pattern. Of you are experimenting with LED swaps, check it out and let us know please.
GTR lighting is from headlight revolution hence they recommend that.

The best are GTR lighting, Xenondepot, Morimoto, Philips. Then all chinese ones.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 03:02   #11262
BHPian

Above link is a very useful perspective on knowing how to choose you led lamp for headlights. Pretty much says all you need to know. Watch up guys.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 19:53   #11263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhoumick View Post
After waiting for FCA for a year to come up with a solution for the weak headlights on the Jeep Compass, I finally got frustrated enough to upgrade to HIDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Great to know that you finally upgraded to HID.. I too have been sitting on the fence for a long time. The 9011 bulbs while being a 50% improvement over stock still are lacking the levels put out by HID. HID lamps at 35W put out around 3500 lumens which is much higher than the 2500 of 9011 bulbs. When driven at 42w (some ballasts) or 50W (Morimoto) they can out upto 4200 lumens.
My Uncle was in the same boat and upgraded last week to the Morimoto HIDs and also changed the Fog Lamps to FE Retrofit Projector Fog Lamps. We had ordered the HIR 9011s from Amazon USA but those did not emit the right type of beam - guessing due to some defect in the bulb itself.

Here is the detailed report of the upgrade to Morimotos: URL
Old 15th October 2018, 15:07   #11264
BHPian

This is a video I wanted to post here for a long time! My friend had captured the new HLXG LEDs in action on the highways. The throw is brilliant and so is the color and intensity. It looks a little dull on video compared to how it looks in person.

All the vehicles ahead of you give way thinking it's an expensive car, only to their surprise that it's just another hatchback out there

Worthy Upgrade for sure 👌

Check out the video:
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 01:29   #11265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
This is a video I wanted to post here for a long time! My friend had captured the new HLXG LEDs in action on the highways. The throw is brilliant and so is the color and intensity. It looks a little dull on video compared to how it looks in person.

All the vehicles ahead of you give way thinking it's an expensive car, only to their surprise that it's just another hatchback out there

Worthy Upgrade for sure 👌
Would be good if you at least put a link of the hlxg bulbs from aliexpress.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks