Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2023, 18:33   #12541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have Ertiga 2016 model for which I am looking for a good LED headlight solution. I was asked to change to 90/100 watt bulbs which needs extra relay assembly. Now that being a past, is there a possible LED solution that will be plug and play without any extra relay or alternate wiring changes?
Ertiga has hopeless lights, the default 55/60 bulbs are just placeholders IMO making me completely blind in rainy days with high beams from opposite side when roads are washed as black and virtually have no reflection. Same powered bulbs were great in older Santro and current Tiago that I have as a backup car.
I know the Ertiga and all older maruti cars that way have really bad reflectors in headlight assembly and that makes me wonder if any solution will produce enough light with them?
Old 12th July 2023, 19:08   #12542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I have Ertiga 2016 model for which I am looking for a good LED headlight solution. I was asked to change to 90/100 watt bulbs which needs extra relay assembly. Now that being a past, is there a possible LED solution that will be plug and play without any extra relay or alternate wiring changes?
Ertiga has hopeless lights, the default 55/60 bulbs are just placeholders IMO making me completely blind in rainy days with high beams from opposite side when roads are washed as black and virtually have no reflection. Same powered bulbs were great in older Santro and current Tiago that I have as a backup car.
I know the Ertiga and all older maruti cars that way have really bad reflectors in headlight assembly and that makes me wonder if any solution will produce enough light with them?
I have an Ertiga 2013 and I completely agree that the stock lighting is really bad. 100/90 with a good relay really does make things much much better, I've sat in a friend's car with this setup and can vouch for it. I think that would be the best option and can be done at a fairly cheap expense. Also installing a relay is pretty straightforward and doesn't really interfere with your other electricals, so it'd not mess up anything on your car.

Coming to led's, I'd recommend you to not get them installed.

But to answer your question, if you imply plug and play to be just fitting new bulbs into your existing reflectors, then no led would work well. Firstly it'd blind oncoming traffic as these reflectors aren't designed for led's. Secondly due to the extra cooling fan that led's come with you might have to cut your dust cap which might lead to water ingress and fogging within the head light assembly.

Addressing your concern about the illumination being bad during rains with your current setup, I'd go as far to say that with an led bulb in the same reflectors the lighting would be worse during heavy downpours. These reflectors work well with halogens and a 100/90 should fix your lighting woes.

I'm running Phillips Xtreme Vision 60/55W and they do a slightly better job than the stock bulbs. But these being priced at nearly ₹500 a bulb, I don't think they're worth it as the light output isn't justifiably better and you could get the 100/90 setup for a very small premium over these.
More wattage = better illumination.
If you're worried about fading and blackening of reflectors, there are multiple posts on team-bhp which state that 100/90 does just fine without spoiling your headlamp assembly.

I'd recommend the Phillips relay with their Rally 90/100 bulbs. I shall be upgrading to 100/90's soon.

Hope this helps!
Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 01:54   #12543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
DHC is a pretty familiar brand especially in and around Maharashtra.
My hometown is a tier 3 city and the only option here i get from the car accessory shop is of DHC.

Their flagship product is F75 Pro series, 75W LEDs with 14,000LM/Pair ( Price quoted by local dealer-₹11k)
I’m thinking of installing their 55W LEDs for projector fog lights.
I've recently installed F75 DHC and that makes it 150w pair compared to 110w which was OEM. Do you think this would cause any issue from heat perspective, or these 75w bulbs will draw more current than 55w bulbs draining the wire overtime?
Old 14th July 2023, 07:25   #12544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandilyapiyush View Post
I'd recommend the Phillips relay with their Rally 90/100 bulbs. I shall be upgrading to 100/90's soon.
Any recommended shop to buy and install genuine philips parts in Bangalore? With so much duplicates around it is tough to trust 'any' shop around JC road to start with.
Old 14th July 2023, 08:45   #12545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Any recommended shop to buy and install genuine philips parts in Bangalore? With so much duplicates around it is tough to trust 'any' shop around JC road to start with.
You could try Popular Automobiles, they stock genuine stuff. Boodmo and Amazon offer pricing that's pretty competitive too.

Popular Automobiles JC Road - https://maps.app.goo.gl/AkqXk3XwaFyD4bU58

If you find it difficult to trust shops around JC Road over the authenticity of products being sold, it's better to order off Boodmo. I'm pretty sure that their products are original.

Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 19:27   #12546
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Piyush.
Hi Piyush, any idea on what is the impact on the upstream electricals because of the higher current drawn by the Rally 100/90 bulbs? I am thinking of the upstream wiring and connectors before the relays come in. With the number of cars catching fire due to electrical overloading, it has deterred me from upgrading the bulbs on my Honda City and I want to make sure that there is no risk of overheating and fire, hence the question.
Old 14th July 2023, 20:13   #12547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Piyush, any idea on what is the impact on the upstream electricals because of the higher current drawn by the Rally 100/90 bulbs? I am thinking of the upstream wiring and connectors before the relays come in. With the number of cars catching fire due to electrical overloading, it has deterred me from upgrading the bulbs on my Honda City and I want to make sure that there is no risk of overheating and fire, hence the question.
Why would you want to go with Rally 100/90 bulbs. Now you have some pretty decent LED options in 4300k in Osram in 50W LED. It would be better to go for that instead. There would be no risk of electrical overload or fire and also you won't need any relay wiring kit. There would also be much lesser heat generation in the headlight so it will not damage the headlight. The Rally bulbs are very old tech (25 years old) and also have a very short life. Instead of Rally bulbs LEDs make more sense now.

You can get the Osram bulbs from here of you are unable to find them in markets
https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...00k-6000k-pair

.I also bought mine from here and installed it in my Jeep Compass myself (mine are HB3 type though)

Last edited by Behemoth : 14th July 2023 at 20:15.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 22:01   #12548
BHPian

Quote:
There's definitely a higher load on the battery and alternator, but nothing the car can't handle. There are numerous posts that state that their vehicles are doing just fine with the upgrade to 100/90. With a good relay and wiring harness, fire hazards should not occur. The stock wiring will not be able to handle the load of these 100/90 bulbs and your stock holders will melt as they're made out of plastic. All the headlight relays come with a ceramic holder that can handle the higher heat of these bulbs and will not melt. Therefore, with a good relay and correct installation there should be no issues.

Also, which year is your Honda City from? Does it use the traditional reflector type setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Why would you want to go with Rally 100/90 bulbs. Now you have some pretty decent LED options in 4300k in Osram in 50W LED. It would be better to go for that instead. There would be no risk of electrical overload or fire and also you won't need any relay wiring kit. There would also be much lesser heat generation in the headlight so it will not damage the headlight. The Rally bulbs are very old tech (25 years old) and also have a very short life. Instead of Rally bulbs LEDs make more sense now.

You can get the Osram bulbs from here of you are unable to find them in markets
https://www.planetcarcare.com/produc...00k-6000k-pair

.I also bought mine from here and installed it in my Jeep Compass myself (mine are HB3 type though)
If one's car has the reflector type setup, isn't it better to stick to halogens?
Won't led's blind oncoming traffic if installed in a reflector setup?
A lot have advised against the same in various posts.

Also, one might need to cut / modify the dust cap in order to accommodate the led's cooling fans right? Which as I've mentioned in a previous post might lead to water ingress and fogging within the headlight assembly.

The cost factor : an upgrade to 100/90 with a relay and installation shouldn't cost more than ₹1,500. The led's that you've linked are almost 5 times the cost of the same.

Regarding the longetivity of these rally bulbs, if one is prudent with the usage of high beams these last long enough for the cost IMO.

I personally find halogens to be superior to led's during rains and foggy weather.

How are the led's working for you in rainy conditions? My cousin's 2020 Hyundai Creta oem led setup was horrible during rains. I remember cross checking twice with him if the headlights were really on

Piyush.
shandilyapiyush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 22:41   #12549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, which year is your Honda City from? Does it use the traditional reflector type setup?

If one's car has the reflector type setup, isn't it better to stick to halogens?
Won't led's blind oncoming traffic if installed in a reflector setup?
A lot have advised against the same in various posts.

Also, one might need to cut / modify the dust cap in order to accommodate the led's cooling fans right? Which as I've mentioned in a previous post might lead to water ingress and fogging within the headlight assembly.

The cost factor : an upgrade to 100/90 with a relay and installation shouldn't cost more than ₹1,500. The led's that you've linked are almost 5 times the cost of the same.

Regarding the longetivity of these rally bulbs, if one is prudent with the usage of high beams these last long enough for the cost IMO.

I personally find halogens to be superior to led's during rains and foggy weather.

How are the led's working for you in rainy conditions? My cousin's 2020 Hyundai Creta oem led setup was horrible during rains. I remember cross checking twice with him if the headlights were really on

Piyush.
Let me answer your queries one by one and let me share that I was working with Philips lighting for 6 years and have in depth knowledge of Lighting and product design
1) in reflector setups, leds can be suitable if the led is the right design. Alsp a critical aspect is that the led blade needs to be vertical and correctly installed to get the right cutoff. Osram is better than Philips in this regard with the new design 50w bulbs.

2) rally bulbs are equally blinding (if not worse) for oncoming traffic.

3) no dust cap modification is required as the leds fit easily in the headlights

4) yes cost is definitely higher but leds will last 30,000 hours while rally bulbs last only 500 hours.
Leds would work for 8-10 years while Rally bulbs will conk off every year. Imagine the inconvenience if you are on outstation drive and one of your bulbs conks off.

5) regarding foggy weather, you can go for 4300k which works fine in all weather.

6) with Rally bulbs the load on battery and wires is really high and is a fire risk. Cars nowadays have wires and lights which are just designed for the rated wattage and putting higher bulbs will cause significant damage to headlights and even would be a fire risk.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 14:04   #12550
BHPian

Quote:
Let me answer your queries one by one and let me share that I was working with Philips lighting for 6 years and have in depth knowledge of Lighting and product design

Behemoth, thanks for answering my questions.

Quote:
1) in reflector setups, leds can be suitable if the led is the right design. Alsp a critical aspect is that the led blade needs to be vertical and correctly installed to get the right cutoff. Osram is better than Philips in this regard with the new design 50w bulbs.
Wouldn't the reflector shape play an important role too? Cars have different designs for their headlight assemblies, wouldn't this affect? I have an Ertiga and it's known to have a bad reflector setup. How would the LED's beam spread be affected in such a setup?

Quote:
4) yes cost is definitely higher but leds will last 30,000 hours while rally bulbs last only 500 hours.
Leds would work for 8-10 years while Rally bulbs will conk off every year. Imagine the inconvenience if you are on outstation drive and one of your bulbs conks off.
I completely agree with you, it'd be a bummer if that were to happen. However, swapping bulbs isn't much of a task, it comes down to personal preference. Some wouldn't mind swapping out the bulbs while some would want something that's guaranteed to last and the peace of mind that comes with it.

Quote:
5) regarding foggy weather, you can go for 4300k which works fine in all weather.
Are they on par with halogens? Probably my experience with led's hasn't been the best.

Quote:
6) with Rally bulbs the load on battery and wires is really high and is a fire risk. Cars nowadays have wires and lights which are just designed for the rated wattage and putting higher bulbs will cause significant damage to headlights and even would be a fire risk.
The main reason one uses a relay with a wiring harness is to take the load off your stock wiring, the new wiring harness and relay bear the load right? Also relays come with fuses that blow off which should prevent any fire hazards or other electrical incidents if I'm not wrong.

Piyush.
Old 15th July 2023, 14:10   #12551
Distinguished - BHPian

@Behemoth - halogen reflectors and LED replacement bulbs don't mix well, if it was that easy OEMs would have done it already.

Hope you have read the data sheet of Osram halogen and LED replacement bulbs, you'd know that it's not a night and day difference for all that extra money. We know that Halogen is clearly superior when it comes to putting light down to the road where it matters when installed in a halogen reflector, in terms of 100/90 there is no contest at all, imagine that combined with a nice 7 inch round Hella or Lucas reflector, easy peasy night driving.

I live between two cities and I drive by the night , LEDs have surpassed halogen from an OEM perspective especially cars where manufacturers have made sure the light works on the Indian roads rather than just meet regulations for the heck of it. So I am in the LED camp now however as a replacement of H4 in a halogen reflector, I do not recommend such retrofit at all. I can spot such cars from a mile away.

LED needs good amount of heat management , certainly need fan and ventilation, then you need to test them to make sure it lasts an overnight trip without lowering the light output due to overheating , 100/90 is proven method , the only thing to watch out for is old batteries and food relay + wiring.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 16:21   #12552
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you want to go with Rally 100/90 bulbs. Now you have some pretty decent LED options in 4300k in Osram in 50W LED. It would be better to go for that instead.

You can get the Osram bulbs from here of you are unable to find them in markets.I also bought mine from here and installed it in my Jeep Compass myself (mine are HB3 type though)
Hey, thanks Behemoth. I have a 2014 Honda City with reflector headlamps that use H11 bulbs for low-beam. I did look-up this site and Amazon and came up the below options. I have a few queries though:

a. Is the colour temp settable on these bulbs to either 4200K or 6000K on those listed on the Amazon link? Or are there different bulbs for different temperatures on these OSRAMs?

b. I see these bulbs are listed as H8/11/16; I hope the same bulb would work on H11 connections?

c. Amazon lists them atRs 3494 while Planet care at 6999; are both the same items?

Option-1 : https://www.planetcarcare.com/collec...41441470152748

Option-2: https://amzn.eu/d/b3DkIzf
Old 15th July 2023, 17:43   #12553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks Behemoth. I have a 2014 Honda City with reflector headlamps that use H11 bulbs for low-beam. I did look-up this site and Amazon and came up the below options. I have a few queries though:

a. Is the colour temp settable on these bulbs to either 4200K or 6000K on those listed on the Amazon link? Or are there different bulbs for different temperatures on these OSRAMs?

b. I see these bulbs are listed as H8/11/16; I hope the same bulb would work on H11 connections?

c. Amazon lists them atRs 3494 while Planet care at 6999; are both the same items?

Option-1 : https://www.planetcarcare.com/collec...41441470152748

Option-2: https://amzn.eu/d/b3DkIzf
Hi
To answer some of your queries:

1) the colour temperature is one - either 4300k or 6000k and you have to select it when ordering it. I ordered the 4300k ones for my Compass.

2) yes h8/h11 and h16 are interchangeable and fit in the same connector and holder

3) the amazon ones are the previous gen 25w per bulb one while the one on Planet car care are the gen 2 - 50w/bulb variants (these were launched by Osram around 9 months back) light output is around 70% more than gen 1 bulbs
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 15:50   #12554
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
To answer some of your queries:

1) the colour temperature is one - either 4300k or 6000k and you have to select it when ordering it. I ordered the 4300k ones for my Compass.

2) yes h8/h11 and h16 are interchangeable and fit in the same connector and holder

3) the amazon ones are the previous gen 25w per bulb one while the one on Planet car care are the gen 2 - 50w/bulb variants (these were launched by Osram around 9 months back) light output is around 70% more than gen 1 bulbs
Thanks Behemoth. Have ordered the 50W LED bulbs with 4200K temp with PlanetCarCare today. I hope they really make a difference.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:33   #12555

Hello all . Looking for a tail lamp upgrade for the jimny . Please help if any contact info available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks