Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 12:56   #7711
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I'm using 100/90 bulbs in my car since more than a year and the bulbs haven't shown any problem.
The visibility is great in both low beam and high beam. I always keep the headlight leveling to 3 ie. Lowest level otherwise it blinds oncoming cars and people think I'm driving on high beam.

The headlights have started fading slightly and this week the bulb holders also got burnt. Got new holders for 150 bucks.

after this pair of bulbs stops working I'll be upgrading to XtremeVision for the white light effect. Right now I have Phillips Rally h4. Relay is a must.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 10:37   #7712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Phillips XV produces more white light than the NB+.
Thank you very much for replying. So, Philips XV it is.

Quote:
The 100/90 bulbs that people generally refer are dual filament bulbs, used for single reflector headlamps. Finding the single filament 100W bulbs will be difficult. You should compulsorily use a relay and ceramic holders for the 100W bulbs, no compromise on that front.
Since, I wont get 100/90 bulbs for the Civic, now that is out of question.

Quote:
Yes you can use the XV/NB in the fogs also provided you can find the particular type of bulb required for your fog lights.

Lastly, I would request you to try XV in the low beam and NB+ in the high beam instead of using the high wattage bulbs.

Any reason you are suggesting NB+ in the high beam and not XV in both? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I'm using 100/90 bulbs in my car since more than a year and the bulbs haven't shown any problem.

The headlights have started fading slightly and this week the bulb holders also got burnt. Got new holders for 150 bucks.

after this pair of bulbs stops working I'll be upgrading to XtremeVision for the white light effect. Right now I have Phillips Rally h4. Relay is a must.
Thank you.

This re-affirms the fact that I should not go for 90/100 bulbs. The last thing I need is a faded headlight cluster.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:48   #7713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Any reason you are suggesting NB+ in the high beam and not XV in both? Just curious.
There is actually no logic for this, but I've used both the bulbs in my Linea which has a double barrel headlight, and I've observed (or felt) that :
a. Philips XV has a better lateral spread, so I use it in the low beam.
b. NB+ produces a more pointed beam, so I'm using it in the high beam.
Sommos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 12:03   #7714
BHPian

Checking if there are any Scorp owners who have upgraded their lights to 90/100 with relay and any feedback. I am planning to upgrade mine from stock. Also is it wise to upgrade the stock fogs, if so any suggestions. Thanks in advance
Old 28th October 2013, 15:37   #7715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The NB+ has now been replaced by the NB Unlimited, which is even better.
The NB Unlimited (introduced only this month) claims to produce the brightest light, have no idea of the price though.
Anyone selling this yet in India either physically or online and at what price? Powerbulbs UK has it for GBP 25 including delivery and the W5W sidelights free.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th October 2013 at 15:46. Reason: Addition
Old 28th October 2013, 16:17   #7716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone selling this yet in India either physically or online and at what price? Powerbulbs UK has it for GBP 25 including delivery and the W5W sidelights free.
I don't think this product is available in India officially. Even the Osram India site is not showing the same.

It is however available in Amazon/ eBay UK sites.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:01   #7717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
I have a 2013 July Ertiga ZXi.
I want to upgrade the headlight of the car with a limited budget. (Max 2-3 K)

Tow Options:

1) Change the bulb to Philips EV in stock wattage.
+ve : No warranty issue
No extra addition / cutting / modification of the electrical system.
-ve : No Bulb warranty.
Can not say a much upgrade from the stock.
The cost of a pair is around 1k to 1.2k .

2) Upgrade the headlight with 100/90 with relay.

+ve : Good cost effective (Rs.2500)
Effective light at night.
Bulbs are cheaper (Rs200 per pair)
No as such maintenance (have already used in my previous car)

-ve : Headlight assembly blacken after some time (say 1-2 year, experience with my previous car)
Generate much heat & may spoil the other component.
Car warranty issue (may be..not sure)

Other options available but those are out of my budget. Even HID is good but this can blind the traffic.

Please suggest me which option i need to choose.

Anything like (Option-2) for Fog lamp?
Hi

In my Ertiga ZDI I had upgraded to 90/100 W first Osram NB and after they went kaput I moved to Philips. The relay is also Philips.

In my 14 months or so of ownership the Osram went kaput and one of the Philips has also gone kaput once. But bulb is cheap - 200 rs. In most of my long highway drives there is easily 4-5 sometimes even 6-8 hrs of night driving. The upgrade has been good and I am satisfied with the outcome. More than likely nothing can be done to upgrade the OEM fog lights.

The set up for the main headlamp is Philips 90/100 W with Philips relay. I am not sure if the reflectors will blacken (maybe they will). In my Opel I have used 90/100 W Philips for 10 years and never changed the reflectors. They did not blacken out. Maybe German quality is different. One thing that I routinely do is take a break if 2-3 minutes every 2 hrs of night driving. And obviously the engine and lights are switch off. This maybe helping in cooling off. The hazard light is certainly on blinkers when I stop on the highway shoulder.

You perhaps also know I have extra aux lights also. They are also very effective. Light Force, KC hilities, X Ray vision, Warn, Pro Comp, Bosch, PIAA, Hella - several brands of repute in this space. The advantage with aux lights is the entire assembly - wiring, casing , packing, reflectors, bulb - is all instal ready. Please do bear in mind that in some states/UTs in India these must be covered and not used in city. For instance, in Chandigarh challans have a different meaning - even if you are not using them you can be challened if they are not covered! There is a challan for high beam as well in Chandigarh.

Being a responsible driver, my Ertiga's aux lights are always covered within city (a rexine cover with slight foam for protection - a work of art from the local cobbler) and I almost never take to high beam unless absolutely necessary (like no street lights/4 lane road).

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 28th October 2013, 18:05   #7718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi
In my Ertiga ZDI I had upgraded to 90/100 W first Osram NB and after they went kaput I moved to Philips. The relay is also Philips.
Request you kindly to check again.
Osram NB is 55/60W bulbs, the 90/100W bulbs are Osram Sylvania, IIRC.
Osram NB+ costs around 900/1000 rupees for a pair.
Old 28th October 2013, 18:52   #7719
BHPian

Quote:
Request you kindly to check again.
Osram NB is 55/60W bulbs, the 90/100W bulbs are Osram Sylvania, IIRC.
Osram NB+ costs around 900/1000 rupees for a pair.
Hi

Its possible that the Osram NB I had was 55/60 W though it was installed with a relay which is why I thought it must have been 90/100W. Since they are now gone I have no way of verifying if I had NB or Sylvania. I am sure what you are saying is true. I think I had paid around Rs 2000 when I had originally installed Osram.

Cheers
Old 29th October 2013, 09:12   #7720
BANNED

Just got as replacement Hyalutek 50W ballast as one had failed in my Civic's fogs (55W 3000K). Haryana roads should have shaken any bad solder connections. I will fix it by the weekend.
Old 29th October 2013, 19:29   #7721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Checking if there are any Scorp owners who have upgraded their lights to 90/100 with relay and any feedback. I am planning to upgrade mine from stock. Also is it wise to upgrade the stock fogs, if so any suggestions. Thanks in advance
Same here, am looking at a similar option.
Any feedback / suggestion would be most welcome.
Old 29th October 2013, 23:45   #7722
BHPian

Got to know from a friend 90 100 doesn't cause blackening as suspected by me. Also Hella 700 is a good choice for additional lighting. Lightforce can also be fitted, friends in south are at advantage since it can be easily sourced in Bangalore (hearsay). Still interested in hearing about stock fog upgrade option. Also seeking opnion on putting small yellow light on 4 corners of roof.
Old 1st November 2013, 14:30   #7723
BHPian

Have been using Phillips Rally 100/90 with cutouts from a brand called * Super* which has ceramic holders for the past 14 months. One of the bulbs went kaput and since I couldn't get the Phillip's rally nearby, switched to Hella Rally 100/90.

Phillips rally was much brighter than Hella and I am planning to switch back to Phillips. Each bulb (both Hella Rally and Phillips rally) cost around the same (Rs 200). However, one of the cabbies I met in the shop mentioned that he has switched back to Hella from Phillips as it was getting fused frequently.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:27   #7724
Senior - BHPian

Santro Xing Fog Lamp going Kaput

Hello BHPians,

Need your help and suggestions in fixing the issue I am facing with Fog Lamps on my Santro Xing

Here is a details explanation on the modifications done to my car with lighting:

I have installed a 100/90W headlamps using a cut out(Aftermarket), and sometime later installed an aftermarket Fog lamp(HE-MAN) which was good for few days and not working later. Hence got it checked with the shops in JC Road and replaced the fog lamps again with a aftermarket(name unknown) which I got it for around Rs.650 from online vendor. Again faced issues with that, where one of the lamp was not lighting up and hence decided to get the original Lumax manufactured fog lamps installed which again was with one of the shops in JC Road(Bangalore).

Unfortunately, after couple of days one of the bulb has gone kaput. Can anybody suggest me what can be done to overcome this issue permanently? I assume it is because of the relay which has been used in the cut out for headlight assembly or might be with the fog lamp wiring.

Immediate help required on the issue

Regards,
Sunay
Old 6th November 2013, 11:39   #7725
Team-BHP Support

Re: Santro Xing Fog Lamp going Kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I have installed a 100/90W headlamps using a cut out(Aftermarket), and sometime later installed an aftermarket Fog lamp(HE-MAN) which was good for few days and not working later.
========
Unfortunately, after couple of days one of the bulb has gone kaput. Can anybody suggest me what can be done to overcome this issue permanently? I assume it is because of the relay which has been used in the cut out for headlight assembly or might be with the fog lamp wiring.
Are the fog lights and headlight wired together? If not headlight wiring/relay will not affect. I think you need to check fog light bulbs first, some of these aftermarket ones burn off fast and there are lot of original fakes around. Second would be to check the voltage of the circuit, if its high you would need to check the alternator charging/regulator.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks