Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 20:08   #7651
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Got good quality ( 5 x Cree 1W LED ) DRLs from Karol bagh a couple of days back for about 900 bucks and planned to install the same by myself.

The DRLs came with a high quality harness and a mounting kit but without any controller and hence could be installed either by tapping the ACC or by tapping the headlight but i want to replicate the way DRLs are supposed to work ideally. Apart from the DRL connectors on the harness there was a white wire which turns the DRL off if it is connected to +12V.

I searched ebay and i came across chinese make DRL controllers which are available for sub 10 USD but ordered a good quality one which was about 21 USD. These controllers connect to the car battery and have relays which activate when the battery voltage is above 13.5-14V (when the alternation is working /engine on) and deactivate when the battery voltage is less than 12.5 volts (when engine is off).

The DRLs will be connected to the output of the controller and the white wire will be tapped to the fog lamp +ve using a 3M scotchlock self-stripping tap connector. I used the fog light +ve to turn the DRLs off as i wanted an option to keep the DRLs on if required at night. So the logic works like this : headlight on + fog light off = DRL on and headlight on + fog light on = DRL off.

I started the installation on a Sunday morning at about 10:00 am and finished at about 4:00 pm. Attaching some pictures of the DRLs, controller, DRL fitted below the Tucson fog lamp cover and install complete pics.

Nice job over there! So does this mean no wire has to be cut ? Does this 3M scotch lock come with the kit or has to be purchased separately?
Old 10th October 2013, 20:51   #7652
BHPian

Re: Installed Genome Bi-Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
spoke to the owner "JOY" (Joydeep) on the phone. I was impressed with the overall quality of the reflectors and the response I got from Joy. He was well informed, immediately understood my concerns re fitment & offered a couple of solutions.
I had installed Genome Projectors last year and had spoken to Joydeep. As you mentioned, he is a pleasure to deal with.
What sets them apart is that they have provided me good after sales service and offer a better peace of mind, knowing that i wont have to run around to get something fixed.

Rgds
Old 12th October 2013, 13:40   #7653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I am totally satisfied with the light. I had been using this same setup on my previous car (zen) and that is the reason I upgraded my new WagonR lights to the same specs.recently a friend told me that Philips Essential Vision 100/90 bulbs are really good, and they give bright white light.
Both are the same. Check the product number in the catalogue. There are two types available in 100/90 one is premium and the other is essential. Under essential vision the bulb number will include the letters RA. The other one does not. However today we usually get only Essential vision bulbs. They are whiter while the regular 100/90 are yellowish.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 17:52   #7654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I currently own a Manza .
Manza headlight is triple barrel design.
Separate bulbs for hi and low beams .
H 7 , 55 W were the stock bulbs :

Now for my query please refer to below sequence of events.

1st )I got HID installed in stock headlamps of my Manza (wheels car customs- Andheri, Mumbai).
While the improvement was tremendous i was skeptical and got them removed next Sunday as the glare from HIDs(4300K)(H7) was blinding to fellow motorists (personal feeling) and reinstalled the stock bulbs
2nd)After a few months WHEELS recommended me smoking the head light bezels to black. They were very sure that they would look very good on Manza triple barrel head lamps. So i went for the same. But next 7 days i was disappointing with the head light spread as same was disturbed due to blackened bezel.
3rd)To make up for the same i then again installed HIDs (4300K) and fortunately with blackened bezel this time the HIDs were not hurting to eyes.

However my query now is :

1)If i go in for projectors , i am afraid, i will not get satisfactory beam and focus (Please keep in mind thefact that i have to install after market projectors as there is no OEM option available for Tata Manza)
I am especially worried about night driving on highway for speeds @ 80-100-110-120 kmph. what should i do? Should i go for projectors ?

2)Also with 4300K i feel it is confusing at those speeds on highway and taken away some confidence of driving and actual stock bulb - h7 ,55 Watt 3500k was better practically in stock head lamps for night highway driving.
Is the color of HIDs 43000 K making me feel that way ?
Please remember 4300K is whitish but not completely white. Theoretically they are supposed to be the most ideal color for headlamps.

Will this situation remain the same even after the projectors ?
Or will the focused beam pattern from projectors help me a great deal even with 4300K HIDs that i have now.

UPDATE :

Last Sunday i was at TCRS (completed 30K service)
Was forced to remove the HIDs from driving lamp.
They were causing the illumination of the speedo meter console go off.
As soon as the HIDs were switched on the illumibating white light at the cluster went off and ditto for the speedo mileage digital display.
Hence the TASS guy removed the HID and installed stock head bulbs back.

Not encountered the problem since then.

I have now decided to install RAYZER AUXILLIARY HIDs .

However would like to put in a word of thanks to fellow BHPIans SRIDHARV and SUSHRUT as those guys were really very cooperative and attentive to all my queries. Ditto with Mr Joy of Genome group.

These Rayzer Aux HID lights have been zeroed in after a lot of research and also keeping in mind that it wont be interfering with stock installations and wirings.

HAfter a lot of research and comparos on aftermarket projectors v/s these RAYZER HID AUX light.
Finally will get RAYZERs installed later today. (It is a swedish product)
Will update on the outcome as soon as i can.
Old 12th October 2013, 22:59   #7655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nice job over there! So does this mean no wire has to be cut ? Does this 3M scotch lock come with the kit or has to be purchased separately?
Yes, no wires were cut as the scotchlock connector splices the wire to be tapped with the wire which you want to use for your device. The connector was one of the connectors in a 3M assorted connectors set which i had got from the US.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3m-connectors.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-05400700839pic1.jpg  

Old 15th October 2013, 10:06   #7656
BANNED

Where does one find the Scotchlock connectors in India? eBay drew a blank.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:06   #7657
BHPian

Guys i have booked a Verna Fluidic SX. Iam planning to get a HID projectors with DRL and angel eyes for my headlamp unit upgrade.
Something like this.
http://www.autogully.in/modified-hea...67-41327106900 Anyone who has success in installing such a unit, kindly give your opinion regarding its price, pros and cons.
Old 15th October 2013, 23:31   #7658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Hi sgiitk,

Even i could not find any on ebay.in but could find many on ebay.com. Posting one of the links :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25pcs-Scotch...item1e715197e2
kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 22:52   #7659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Such splice connectrs generally come along with aftermarket kits like remote lock, power window kits etc. Most of the accessory shop guys does not know the purpose/ use of these connectors and they generally throw it into junk! Recently I got a handful of splice connectors from a local accessory store. When i said splice connector, they said it is not available - but when shown the picture in my mobile, he just took out few from their junk / scrap box. I gave him 50bucks and he was happy, went back and collected some more and gave to me.
Old 18th October 2013, 06:13   #7660
Senior - BHPian

They are normally called as Wire Tappers(my recent learning) and are available at any decent(read big) accessory shops.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 08:36   #7661
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go for white light in my 2008 Fiesta. I have these lights - Parking light and low beam in the same housing, high beam in a separate housing and a fog lamp. Since lot of people are negative about the white light visibility, I plan to leave the high beam without changing, which would help me when I really need it, and i can have a cool white spread with my Parking bulbs, low beam and fog lamps alone.

So need help from the experts to get the right products and places to install ( I am from Chennai ) I would like to keep this as a simple bulb change only. I am not looking to increase the intensity here
Old 18th October 2013, 09:08   #7662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am planning to go for white light in my 2008 Fiesta. I have these lights - Parking light and low beam in the same housing, high beam in a separate housing and a fog lamp. Since lot of people are negative about the white light visibility, I plan to leave the high beam without changing, which would help me when I really need it, and i can have a cool white spread with my Parking bulbs, low beam and fog lamps alone.
As you have mentioned, white light visibility will not be all that good (not saying it's bad but a slightly less) when compared to stock color especially in rain and foggy conditions. Another thing I would like to point out is that halogen white light wont be pure white. For that you will need 6000k (color temperature) HID's. For halogen expect a small color change (mild white color) but definitely different from stock bulbs. These bulbs will be coated in blue and it's available in the stock wattage. I had personally used Osram Cool Blue (100/90w) which is whitish when compared to the stock lamps.

So before going ahead please keep in mind that the output will not be similar to the ones you see in high end cars. They use HIDs.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 09:14   #7663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Such splice connectrs generally come along with aftermarket kits like remote lock, power window kits etc. Most of the accessory shop guys does not know the purpose/ use of these connectors and they generally throw it into junk! Recently I got a handful of splice connectors from a local accessory store. When i said splice connector, they said it is not available - but when shown the picture in my mobile, he just took out few from their junk / scrap box. I gave him 50bucks and he was happy, went back and collected some more and gave to me.

Please tell me which accessory shop is it bangalore. I want some of these connectors!

EDIT: DX always comes to the rescue. Check out the below link which has connectors of different size!
http://dx.com/s/wire+splice

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th October 2013 at 09:24.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:28   #7664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Please tell me which accessory shop is it bangalore. I want some of these connectors
I got it from a small shop behind GB Palaya bus stop near Bommanahalli (near LG Shoppe). You can check with reliance auto zone @ HSR layout also.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:42   #7665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
These Rayzer Aux HID lights have been zeroed in after a lot of research and also keeping in mind that it wont be interfering with stock installations and wirings.

HAfter a lot of research and comparos on aftermarket projectors v/s these RAYZER HID AUX light.
Finally will get RAYZERs installed later today. (It is a swedish product)
Will update on the outcome as soon as i can.
Have you installed them? I just read about this and it seems like these have to be installed inside the windshield. It will be interesting to see how is the glare as well as light throw. Also, snapdeal is quoting 23k for these lights, is that the price you also paid?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks