Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 21:45   #7621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post

HIDs don't need any relay. They draw only 55 watts of power, unless you import a higher spec hid kit then the wattage changes.
But they do need, ballast along, no?
Old 26th September 2013, 22:21   #7622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
But they do need, ballast along, no?
Yep a ballast is compulsory and it regulates power to the bulbs.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:23   #7623
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

A ballast is necessary for HIDs. Standard wattage of HID is 35w.
Old 27th September 2013, 09:34   #7624
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
If I install normal foglamps and then change the bulbs to 55W HIDs alongwith ballasts, do I still need to add additional relay? I had installed relay for my upgraded 100/90 headlight bulbs.
You can easily integrate the relay into the new setup, but is not required.

Quote:
HIDs don't need any relay. They draw only 55 watts of power,
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
A ballast is necessary for HIDs. Standard wattage of HID is 35w.
Quote:
A ballast is compulsory and it regulates power to the bulbs.
HIDs are normally available in 35 or 55W, 35 bewing more common. A ballast is also necessary since the HID needs a high voltage supply. The D in HID stands for Discharge. You may look at it being akin to a flash lamp. Only here the discharge is in UV and then there is a fluorescent coating /fill which converts it to visible light. These differ for various colour temperatures.

Actually, the efficiency of the Ballast seldom exceeds 80% so add 25% to get the actual power.

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th September 2013 at 09:36.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 16:27   #7625
BHPian

I have installed 100/90 Philips headlamps on my Alto K10 and a Philips relay with it. But the headlamp assembly seems to heat up and the glass is forming some flakes on the outer side. Need advice on what to do :P

Last edited by chinmaybaikar : 28th September 2013 at 16:36.
Old 28th September 2013, 16:32   #7626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
I have installed 100/90 Philips headlamps and a Philips relay with it. But the headlamp assembly seems to heat up and the glass is forming some flakes on the outer side. Need advice on what to do :P
The headlamps are not able to handle the extra heat generated by the powerful bulbs. Which car is it, so that other owners may comment too.

Now since, you have already taken the plunge by investing in the above components, I think still it will be beneficial in long run if you go for Xtreme vision. IT will cut down the heat formation against your current set up. Probably the lens of your car headlamp is not made of glass, hence the problem you are facing. Fibre or lenses made from other such materials can have these problems. Keep a close eye on reflectors too, which may turn black after some use of more heat generating bulbs.

Last edited by saket77 : 28th September 2013 at 16:44.
Old 28th September 2013, 17:03   #7627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The headlamps are not able to handle the extra heat generated by the powerful bulbs. Which car is it, so that other owners may comment too.

Now since, you have already taken the plunge by investing in the above components, I think still it will be beneficial in long run if you go for Xtreme vision. IT will cut down the heat formation against your current set up. Probably the lens of your car headlamp is not made of glass, hence the problem you are facing. Fibre or lenses made from other such materials can have these problems. Keep a close eye on reflectors too, which may turn black after some use of more heat generating bulbs.
The modern day cars very rarely have glass in the headlamp.

He is having Alto K10, as already mentioned.
Old 28th September 2013, 17:06   #7628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The modern day cars very rarely have glass in the headlamp.
Yes, that is the issue, but what is the way around it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
He is having Alto K10, as already mentioned.
Chinmay edited his post later to add his car. Hope you understand the situation
Old 28th September 2013, 17:11   #7629
Senior - BHPian

Chinmay if you feel that it is due to the heat, which must be the probable reason, then disconnect the 100/90 bulbs and go for NB+ or XV as suggested by Saket.
Old 29th September 2013, 19:07   #7630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
I have installed 100/90 Philips headlamps on my Alto K10 and a Philips relay with it. But the headlamp assembly seems to heat up and the glass is forming some flakes on the outer side. Need advice on what to do :P
Problem is that the headlamp assembly is quite compact and hence the plastic lens lies much close to the bulb. To add to this, there is no metallic shield inside the HL assembly which would have cut down the heat radiated onto the lens. Hence, in all it is better you revert to lower wattage bulbs asap. This is one major reason my WagonR still runs on stock bulbs. WagonR too does not have a shield whereas my sx4 has. Hence, I havent faced such a problem with my Sx4 after three years of running on 90/100.
Old 29th September 2013, 19:13   #7631
BHPian

Friends i have fixed the Philips DLR in my Duster costing 5500/- in Chennai which has 5 leds on each side, I have set it to run only in the day when the engine is on and it automatically gets off when the head lights are turned On.

Now i have noticed i get a sound from the Balast fixed inside the engine room whenever DLR is turned on is this an normal one? or i need to ask for an replacement ? Pls help me out its urgent.
Old 30th September 2013, 22:52   #7632
BHPian

What is the light color of Philips Extreme Vision. I have experience with old Philips Extreme Power bulbs and it was slightly whiter than stock halogen.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:41   #7633
BHPian

Headlamp accessories

Hi guys,

I have a verna SX CRDi and would like to know if there are any accessories for the headlamps where in once the key is removed, the headlights gets auto switched off? This option is there in SX(O) as I have been told and wanted to know if anything is available in aftermarket.

Mods: Could not find a thread to post this. Apologies if it already exist.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:09   #7634
BHPian

Installed Genome Bi-Xenon

Finally took the plunge & installed Bi-Xenon Projectors on our Ford Fusion. But a little background first:-

The Ford Fusion, purchased in 2007, was being used as a chauffer driven car. Most of the trips would be in the city or on same day return highway trips. Most of

the trips would be during daylight. I had a problem with my Shoulder & so in 2008 I bought a Santro AT. It was planned to use it only for city use. But I found the AT so convinient that I started using it for Long distance trips. Had upgraded the headlight bulbs to Phillips Extreme Vision & found them to be adequate.

Gym workouts & stretching exercises had strenghthened my shoulder. So when I had to go to Chennai in the first week of Sept, I decided to take the Fusion for the drive. Most of the driving was in the day. But a couple of days we had to drive at night & found that the lights were awful. On coming back I upgraded to Phillips Extreme Vision. There was a slight improvement but the shortcomings of the reflector were obvious.

So I decided to go in for either a set of Aux lights or install Bi-Xenons. Found out that mounting of the Aux lights (Hella Rally 500FF) would be an extremly Juggaad affair as there were no proper fixing hard points in the front bumper area. The electrician at Planet Ford recommended I go in for Bi-Xenons. Options were to import from "The Retrofit Source" or use locally available kit. I knew it would be a dicey affair as the reflector top had a flat lip which would foul with the reflector body & the shroud. Most of the shopkeepers seemed only interested in selling whatever they had on hand & were quite unsound technically. Dropped in to Genome to see their kits & spoke to the owner "JOY" (Joydeep) on the phone. I was impressed with the overall quality of the reflectors and the response I got from Joy. He was well informed, immediately understood my concerns re fitment & offered a couple of solutions. Also turned out that they were developing a
series of Reflector Asslys. which were generally benchmarked to Morimoto with adaptations for our local conditions & market costs. He had started exporting these & was now trying to introduce his brand in the local market. Joy emphasised that he would like to be present during the actual selection & fitment. So we fixed up for Sunday 29th.

On Sunday I met Joy in person & had a look at the available range. We ruled out 2.5" model as that would be inadequate for my requirements. After opening one headlight we found that only one 3" lens model could fit properly and that too without a shroud. I was ok with that & we went ahead with the fitment. So total 2 projectors, 2 55W slim ballasts, wiring & 2 35W 4300K bulbs. Total it took around 5 hours including lunch & rain breaks. Now let the photos do the talking:-

1. Views of Bi-Xenon projector assly
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-projector2.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-projector-1.jpg

2. Head Lamp Assly with the projectors
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fitted-hsg.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fitted-hsg-2.jpg

3. Views of Other components as fitted in the engine bay.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ballast1.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ballast2.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-controller.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h1-connector.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-rear-wiring.jpg

Now for some before & after photos. I have a 2007 vintage digital camera & its low light performance is not good. The Fusion's head lamp, even after the XtremeVision bulbs, was so pathetic that it was not registering properly. So I am posting the Santro's headlights throw instead.

A. Santro high beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-santrohigh.jpg

B. Santro low beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-santrolow.jpg

C. Fusion high beam - max beam adjust
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fusion-projector-high-max-beam-adjust.jpg

D. Fusion high beam - min beam adjust
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fusion-projector-high-min-beam-adjust.jpg

E. Fusion low beam - max beam adjust
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fusion-projector-low-max-beam-adjust.jpg

F. Fusion low beam - min beam adjust
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fusion-projector-low-min-beam-adjust.jpg

Went in for white angel eyes only. The photos do not give a complete picture of the improvement. I would say that the light intensity & throw has improved by an order of 4 times. Will suffice for my requirements & budget.There is a 1 year replacement warranty on all parts. The bulbs are H1 type. Joy agreed that D2S would be the best, but availability of D2S bulbs in the Indian market was an issue & so replacements while travelling would be a problem. He is also developing a projector that will come close to Morimoto FX-R. He already has one that matched Mini D2S. The models are available with a range of lens sizes from 2.5" (ultra economy0 to 3.2" (top end).
I would strongly recommend Genome for those who are looking for a total solution. As they have a couple of models there is a good possibility of mixing & matching components to fit one's budget, vehicle constraints & personal requirements.

I had mixed & matched various components so there is no proper mrp. Joy indicated a street retailer price of around Rs. 18,000. As I had kept pestering him with a hell of a lot of queries & doubts he gave me a hefty special discount (possibly to get rid of me!!).

Contact nos. & address are on their website:
www.genome-group.com
020-27703034
joy@genome-group.com
mobile: 8600045024
159, S-Block, MIDC Bhosari, Pune 411026.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 3rd October 2013 at 19:15. Reason: added contact details
sridhar-v is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:38   #7635
BHPian

Re: Headlamp accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Hi guys,

I have a verna SX CRDi and would like to know if there are any accessories for the headlamps where in once the key is removed, the headlights gets auto switched off? This option is there in SX(O) as I have been told and wanted to know if anything is available in aftermarket.

Mods: Could not find a thread to post this. Apologies if it already exist.
Mine is a June 2012 , 1.6 SX and it has the battery saver function. Wherein, with the headlights one I take out the key from the ignition(but keep sitting in the seat without opening the door), the headlights will switch off and only parking lights remain on. The moment I open the door, the parking lights also turn off.

I dont know if they ommited this feature. It is listed as the "Battery Saver Feature" in my manual and i think it was also there in the brochure.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks