Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 15:20   #6421
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
Hi,

I have a Zen, and wanted to test the 100/90. I bought an OSRAM one for Rs. 90. I placed it and when I switched on the lights, the bulb blew.

Was it because the other bulb was 55/60? I wanted to see the light difference before I invested in relays and holders.
The lack of relay was probably what caused the bulb to "blow". These bulbs require far more current than the standard 55/60 bulbs do, so a good relay is an absolute MUST before you turn the lights on - even for testing purposes! Best to test on a vehicle that already has a decent relay installed. . .

Quote:

Now the reflector has glass pieces inside, and is covered with some dust, leading to the light output reducing even further. I have put back the 55/60 bulb and will stay with that.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glass pieces? Or will a new headlight assy be needed? I'm not sure if the insides can be cleaned well.
Removing the shards of glass should be a pretty easy task for any mechanic, or even semi mechanic. As for the assembly, so long as the initial wiring is intact, along with the reflectors, I doubt you'll need a new one so long as you continue to use the stock bulbs - best to check with your mechanic though.

And NO - your not stuck with the stock bulbs - upgrading is very easy if done correctly. I've used Philips 100/90 Rally bulbs in my 99 Zen for a long time, along with a good relay - and have never once faced a problem. Upgrading is a fairly easy task - just take to any skilled mechanic, and he should be able to hook you up without any problems.

Hope that helped just a little - and good luck!!

Last edited by Zenster99 : 25th September 2012 at 15:23.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:58   #6422
NeO

pardon my ignorance, could the gurus direct me to a place where i can get angel light & projector setup for swift done in Mumbai, a tentative cost would help me get a nice deal
i have the old swift & looking to get angel light, projector & maybe LED if it is available in a plug & play unit. just the headlight, i dont intend to change the taillight
Old 26th September 2012, 13:52   #6423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeO View Post
pardon my ignorance, could the gurus direct me to a place where i can get angel light & projector setup for swift done in Mumbai, a tentative cost would help me get a nice deal
i have the old swift & looking to get angel light, projector & maybe LED if it is available in a plug & play unit. just the headlight, i dont intend to change the taillight
Some indicative figures based on first hand experience.

Projectors + HIDs + wiring kit + angel eyes + ballasts

Cost: Approx: Rs. 10-12000 for a good kit.

Installation charges approx. Rs. 2500.

Note: There is always going to be some margin and some variables.

Sorry, no clues about Mumbai, but I know one installer in Pune who does a fair job.

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th September 2012 at 13:54.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 14:07   #6424
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I have a Zen, and wanted to test the 100/90. I bought an OSRAM one for Rs. 90. I placed it and when I switched on the lights, the bulb blew.

Now the reflector has glass pieces inside, and is covered with some dust, leading to the light output reducing even further. I have put back the 55/60 bulb and will stay with that.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glass pieces? Or will a new headlight assy be needed? I'm not sure if the insides can be cleaned well.
Looks like the bulb exploded. Maybe you got a fake or a rare case of a bulb which had leaked. I do not buy the argument that having no relay led to the bulb bursting.

I will suggest replace with a Philips Xtreme vision of Osram equivalent. Totally legal, with a significantly higher light output.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 17:41   #6425
BHPian

Hi guys,I am looking to upgrade the headlamps of my Cruze.I am not happy with the throw and intensity of the stock headlamps.I drive frequently drive on unlit roads with potholes during the night.I am primarily upgarding so that I can spot potholes/dogs/people earlier and don't care much for the "white lights" in layman's terms.Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

EDIT:How are Philips Night Vision and Osram Night Breaker+?And any feedback on Hellas??I would honestly want to buy the strongest pair of bulbs possible without any major modifications.

Last edited by KINI : 27th September 2012 at 17:48.
Old 27th September 2012, 18:17   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
The lack of relay was probably what caused the bulb to "blow". These bulbs require far more current than the standard 55/60 bulbs do, so a good relay is an absolute MUST before you turn the lights on
Bulb cannot blow with inadequate relay or in this case stock relay. It is the relay which will be in problem when using higher wattage bulb not the bulb any time. FYI relay do not produce current but it is just High Current Switch actuated electromagnetically.

Only two reasons using which bulb can blow

1. Either one supplied higher voltage than rated.
2. Bulb glass is already developed cracks and halogen gas leaked from it.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 19:04   #6427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Bulb cannot blow with inadequate relay or in this case stock relay. It is the relay which will be in problem when using higher wattage bulb not the bulb any time. FYI relay do not produce current but it is just High Current Switch actuated electromagnetically.

Only two reasons using which bulb can blow

1. Either one supplied higher voltage than rated.
2. Bulb glass is already developed cracks and halogen gas leaked from it.
Upon thinking about it, I think your right. Actually I too had the same initial thoughts when posting my first response - my initial reaction was along the lines of "the wiring should have gotten burnt out instead of the bulb exploding", but then for some reason I didnt pursue that line of reasoning further. . .thanks for pointing it out!

Regardless though, always a good idea to test with relay already installed for safety purposes.
Zenster99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:20   #6428
BHPian

Folks, my humble two bits on the lamp and relay matter.

The relay is used for reducing the length of wire from battery to lamp so that drop in voltage due to high current is less; and also wiring runs cooler. The original headlight switch at your steering column now operates the relay coil, which works on low current. The heavy lamp-current is now handled by the relay contacts, which can be more easily replaced when they go bad. Also the relay can be placed in such a way that the wire length from battery-to-relay-to-headlamp is as short as possible.

About halogen lamps: these are incandescent lamps with compact glass envelopes and are filled rarely with a halogen. The idea is to carry heat more effectively from the filament to the glass envelope. The glass envelope gets really very hot. If even a fingerprint has been left behind on the glass envelope then the differential heating (or cooling) could cause crack in glass and result in explosive burnout. This is akin to handling the halogen lamps of an overhead projector.

Hope this helps.

OK, now I need to know where and for how much can I get genuine Philips power2night lamps (60/55W) that give 50% extra light; in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd October 2012, 17:27   #6429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel
OK, now I need to know where and for how much can I get genuine Philips power2night lamps (60/55W) that give 50% extra light; in Mumbai or Navi Mumbai. Thanks in advance.
You can try any of the two Philips dealer in Mumbai. One in andheri and one in opera house. That will be the most economical and genuine.

I would suggest going for xtreme vision which claim to give 100% more light. It retails for 600 a piece, however I got it from the andheri dealer for 500.

You check search for any navi Mumbai dealer on Philip's website.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:37   #6430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N

Some indicative figures based on first hand experience.

Projectors + HIDs + wiring kit + angel eyes + ballasts

Cost: Approx: Rs. 10-12000 for a good kit.

Installation charges approx. Rs. 2500.

Note: There is always going to be some margin and some variables.

Sorry, no clues about Mumbai, but I know one installer in Pune who does a fair job.
No kidding, i just been to pune last week , i missed getting it done there....
Old 5th October 2012, 11:20   #6431
BHPian

Dear All,

I have a 2002 Lancer SLXi & want to install Fog lamps. Presently there are none installed. Which is the best suitable one.

Also i want to install HID's please suggest what would be the best bet for night driving (with tech specs please) and where can i get the best deal for procuring one..

Thank you guys !!
Old 5th October 2012, 12:32   #6432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeymist View Post
Dear All,

I have a 2002 Lancer SLXi & want to install Fog lamps. Presently there are none installed. Which is the best suitable one.

Also i want to install HID's please suggest what would be the best bet for night driving (with tech specs please) and where can i get the best deal for procuring one..

Thank you guys !!
Are you planning to go for HID's in fogs? HID's in stock reflectors wont provide the best visibility. It's always better to go for projectors when going for HID's. If you have the budget, you can try fitting projectors onto your fog assembly but fogs are easily prone to damages since it's very low to the ground. I would recommend OEM fogs with upgraded bulbs (maybe higher wattage than stock bulbs).

In case you wish to go for HID's, go for 4300k HID's. These provide the best visibility range.

Am not sure how the fog unit is in the lancer. If it's similar to Swift, you can even try sourcing Volvo bus headlights. That will perfectly fit Swift fog lamp assembly. Coupled with 80/90w bulbs, this provide good visibility. But this setup will cost around 6k (my friend got this setup on his swift).

HID's alone - 6k onwards
HID's + projectors - 10k onwards

You will also get cheaper chinese brands but I would recommend branded HID's (Philips, Osram, Auto Gauge, P8).

Another option is Auxiliary lamp but many dont want to have this since it tends to make the car look bulky. This starts from 6k inwards.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 5th October 2012 at 12:34.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 08:58   #6433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga

It was direct bulb replacement. Have not added any relays or wiring etc.
Light output is much better than the stock bulbs. Long beam has improved a lot (55 to 100W).

Have upgraded it last weekend so will comment on the blackening etc after some running at nights.

Also the availability for H1/H7 with accessories shops is pretty bleak and I almost got no options (everybody talks about H4s).
How has the performance been so far? Any issues with upgrading to 100/90 on stock wiring? I am in the same boat as you and had almost finalised on Osram NB+ 60/55 for my Linea.
Old 11th October 2012, 23:19   #6434
BHPian

I am looking for replacement of the headlamp assembly for the Dzire (old gen). Issue with the existing ones is the left one next to battery has a clamp short and is not stable. With the slightest of wind starts vibrating/oscillates.

checked with MASS and local mechanic and both suggested a replacement.

Few questions:

1. Should I go in with the normal Headlamp assembly as replacement or any others suggested. I am not looking at projectors/HID;s
2. Where in bangalore can I get them
3. Approx cost
4. Any other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 11:18   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I am looking for replacement of the headlamp assembly for the Dzire (old gen). Issue with the existing ones is the left one next to battery has a clamp short and is not stable. With the slightest of wind starts vibrating/oscillates.

checked with MASS and local mechanic and both suggested a replacement.

Few questions:

1. Should I go in with the normal Headlamp assembly as replacement or any others suggested. I am not looking at projectors/HID;s
2. Where in bangalore can I get them
3. Approx cost
4. Any other suggestions.

Thanks
I feel if you are not looking for any HID or any other stuff like that, it would be best to get a new headlight assembly.
I had to once replace one headlight assembly of my Ritz and it cost me around 2.6k from MASS.
I guess you can drive in to any MASS and get it replaced with a new one .

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks