Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 15:49   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Dear friends,

I own an i20 Asta. Its a year old now. I'm not quiet happy with the throw of the headlight and hence I was planning to go for better ones.
I'm also sitting on a 3 year warranty which I Dont want to tamper with and hence I'm planning to get bulbs which are plug and play and Dont require any relays or wire cutting or any socket replacements.

Could you please recommend me some good models/brands and the approximate price?

Also would they be street legal in Pune?

I have read somewhere on another thread about Osram Nightbreaker Plus 60/55w 12v H4. Are they any good?

I Dont want any disco lights. What i meant is with blue/purple effects, wannabe imitation types etc. Just simple good lights with increased power for better visibility.

Also, my car has fog lamps. Could someone please recommend me the plug and play bulbs for fog lamps as well?
Since you don't want to tamper with the wiring and socket the only option for you would be to replace the stock bulbs with either Philips Xtreme vision or Osram NB+. Both produces almost the same result and are far better than the stock bulbs and these are no disco lights as you said and completely legal. However, please understand that the output is always a relative term and anyday Philips Rally 100/80W would be better than both the above, however you need to have relays and different sockets for the same.

Osram NB+ is made in Germany and cost around Rs.1100.00 for a pair and the Xtreme vision is slightly costlier than the NB+. The present supply for Xtreme vision are mostly made in China. That is one reason why I chose NB+ amongst the two.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 16:10   #6407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Since you don't want to tamper with the wiring and socket the only option for you would be to replace the stock bulbs with either Philips Xtreme vision or Osram NB+. Both produces almost the same result and are far better than the stock bulbs and these are no disco lights as you said and completely legal. The present supply for Xtreme vision are mostly made in China. That is one reason why I chose NB+ amongst the two.
Thanks for your inputs. I guess your getting a better output via the Osram. I'll do give the Osram NBplus a Look. Any ideas for the fog lamps? I guess Its 45watts.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:01   #6408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Thanks for your inputs. I guess your getting a better output via the Osram. I'll do give the Osram NBplus a Look. Any ideas for the fog lamps? I guess Its 45watts.
I'm not sure about the fog light of the i20 Asta, for fog lamps generally come as a complete sealed unit. Please check with your service centre if the bulbs can be replaced seperately.

If your budget permits, what about a projector setup with 2700K HID as your fog lamps.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:47   #6409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Gurus, need some help.

I never felt the requirement to upgrade the lights in my palio. Now a days, i am facing a lot of problem as almost all the cars are having high wattage lights. The beauty of Hyderabadi's is that, one in a hundred switches to low beam. rest of all drive all the way in high beam.
Stock wiring is weak in palio. I have purchased H1, H7 roots wiring kit and installed in my palio this week. Upgraded with Bosch 80/80W lamps and its pretty good. In the 10 years the wiring had definitely gone weak. I have used the 80W high setup earlier and it glows like candle light. I have to make few modifications on the headlamp and the wiring harness to make it work.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:37   #6410
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree83 View Post
Dear friends,
A friend of mine is looking for projector headlamps and led fog lamps for his 2006 Baleno vxi in Bangalore.
I would suggest the Fog Lamps first. Also, get 2700K if possible. With headlamps you friend can can have more of a legal hassle than with fogs. Also, if, and when he gets the projectors ask him to stick with 4300K.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 15:48   #6411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree83 View Post
Dear friends,
A friend of mine is looking for projector headlamps and led fog lamps for his 2006 Baleno vxi in Bangalore. Any of our fellow bhpians have carried out such mods or do you guys know anybody who can source this.His only requirement is that the lights shouldnt look way out from OEM lights.Pls throw some light.
Most people source the projectors and the HID kit from China (www.alibaba.com). I can help you with links if you would like to go that way.
The process of retrofit is not for the faint hearted and requires patience and skill. If you were in Pune, I could point you to someone where we got this done recently. Maybe someone else will advise on who can do it for Bangalore.

The requirement about "lights souldnt look way out from OEM lights" is not clear to me.
Projectors will look very different from the OEM/ stock lights - both while looking at the headlamp assy. and also the beam pattern and color (say with 4300K).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would suggest the Fog Lamps first. Also, get 2700K if possible. With headlamps you friend can can have more of a legal hassle than with fogs. Also, if, and when he gets the projectors ask him to stick with 4300K.
Legal hassle? In which city?

4300K is also useless in rains. Thankfully it has stopped raining here.
Perhaps 3000K to 4000K is more suitable for the driving lights.
Old 21st September 2012, 21:38   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis
funkyp : You might get them at one of the car accessory shops in Bandra on SV Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos
Osram NB+ is made in Germany and cost around Rs.1100.00 for a pair and the Xtreme vision is slightly costlier than the NB+. The present supply for Xtreme vision are mostly made in china
I finally got my pair of extreme vision from the Philips distributor in Andheri for 500 a piece. the opera house dealer quoted 450 but was too far!! Retail price is 600.

Will fit them and post the improvement observed.

Strangely though, the pack has Chinese all over it, like sommos suggested, most of these are made in china. However, the steel ring has made in Poland engraved!!
Old 22nd September 2012, 17:53   #6413
BHPian

how easy is it to change the bulbs on the swift? should i attempt to do it myself or go to the service centre to get it fitted
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:05   #6414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
how easy is it to change the bulbs on the swift? should i attempt to do it myself or go to the service centre to get it fitted
The low beams on my ZDI has fused (hella 110/120V with cut outs) and replaced both the bulbs with phillips rally 100/90w at an accessory shop today. The process was not too difficult as you have to
1) open the bonnet,
2) pull the wiring socket out
3) Pull out the rubber covering,
4) Pull out the think metallic clamp holding the bulb in place and finally the bulb out

The only struggle was to put the rubber covering back in place.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:19   #6415
BHPian

Hello,

Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD Active does not come with factory fitted BOOT light. Can we install it from outside or from TASS? Does the Active model comes with all wiring or wiring needs to done as well?

Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:29   #6416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Legal hassle? In which city?

4300K is also useless in rains. Thankfully it has stopped raining here.
Perhaps 3000K to 4000K is more suitable for the driving lights.
There was a report that police in one state (was it Goa) were ticketing cars with HIDs.

Also,I had recommended 2700K which are far more common than 3000K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Should be a cinch.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:09   #6417
Senior - BHPian

Any source of LED bulbs locally in India? I want this one and had a bad experience ordering from abroad. They got lost in mail. So a local procurement source (preferably online in India) is required. If anyone can guide me to it...

Its a 12V P21W bulb and I require the same in LED -

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-superb-drl-bulb-p21w.jpg
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:24   #6418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Any source of LED bulbs locally in India? I want this one and had a bad experience ordering from abroad. They got lost in mail. So a local procurement source (preferably online in India) is required. If anyone can guide me to it...

Its a 12V P21W bulb and I require the same in LED -
You just might, on eBay, but expect a 200-300% markup.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:25   #6419
BHPian

Hi,

I have a Zen, and wanted to test the 100/90. I bought an OSRAM one for Rs. 90. I placed it and when I switched on the lights, the bulb blew.

Was it because the other bulb was 55/60? I wanted to see the light difference before I invested in relays and holders.

Now the reflector has glass pieces inside, and is covered with some dust, leading to the light output reducing even further. I have put back the 55/60 bulb and will stay with that.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glass pieces? Or will a new headlight assy be needed? I'm not sure if the insides can be cleaned well.
Old 25th September 2012, 15:17   #6420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to remove the glass pieces? Or will a new headlight assy be needed? I'm not sure if the insides can be cleaned well.
That's probably because you didnt have relays and proper holders. The stock holder wont be able to withstand such high wattage bulbs.
You can remove the headlight assembly to remove and clean the insides. Make sure you dont leave any moisture inside. Also, use proper silicone gel to seal the assembly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks