Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 16:58   #6496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_1980 View Post
I think in that much darkness with no incoming traffic anything is sufficient. Can you post same from a highway against incoming high beams ??
As I said earlier, I am showing the throw and spread. If I switch to high beams when there is oncoming traffic, I will be risking myself as well as the opposite driver. Now, most of the truckers or bus drivers dip their lights when they come opposite, which was not happening before. With 60/55, I could not see the road in front when there was a vehicle coming towards me, but now that problem is solved. I can see the road ahead. Only if the oncoming car has 130/100, then it makes visiblity go back to square one. Usually low beam is very sufficient, and only in such completely dark places, we require high beams.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:20   #6497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There are many branded kits available in the market now where Philips is mostly preferred. The price quoted for Philips is reasonable as many companies increased the prices of various lighting products. 6000k is pure white light. From your message, I would reckon 4300k would be the best. This is white light with a tinge of white light. This provides the best visibility range. AFAIK, Philips stopped production of 4300k. In case you manage to find it, you are lucky. Also, most of the Philips HID's nowadays are from China. Not to be confused with local chinese products. This is genuine and you can track the product from it's serial no. (I have posted this information couple of months back on how to track if it's a genuine Philips product.). Lucky again if you manage to source german made.

Other products include Osram, P8, Auto Gauge (this is what I use). Confirm the bulb configuration of the current projector (whether it's H7) before purchasing the product. HID's, proper wiring kit and ballast - that would be the complete kit.

Hope this will help. Anything else, let us know.
Hello Naveen,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I would prefer a light rating that won't blind oncoming traffic [which isn't good for our safety anyway], but put a kit that works well in terms of illumination of the road, better than the halogens and also perform well during rains.

I spoke to a friend Nirmal [who has commented with his Philips HIDs way back in 2009] who recommended Philips, but Philips doesn't come with 4300K anymore.

I also spoke with Sathya from EVO shop and he is not dealing with Philips anymore. He acknowledges the bulbs are good but the ballast and relays are crap and not well made anymore. His suggestion for a good brand was P8.

I know Sathya has a reputation he will protect so I assume his recommendation won't be to make more bucks, but I request any P8 HID bulb owners [specially who have it in a projector lamp setup] to share their feedback. Most likely would want to get this done this weekend.

Appreicate your feedback Naveen, happy to hear if you have anymore to share.

ajay K
Old 30th October 2012, 17:35   #6498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hello Naveen,

His suggestion for a good brand was P8.

Appreicate your feedback Naveen, happy to hear if you have anymore to share.

ajay K
P8 is pretty good although I initially thought it was crap. They advertise pretty well in most car magazines too. Think some bhpians have provided good feedback too. So one thing to do is to go for 4300k HID's.
Wait for the P8 users to respond.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:04   #6499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are many branded kits available in the market now where Philips is mostly preferred. The price quoted for Philips is reasonable as many companies increased the prices of various lighting products. 6000k is pure white light. From your message, I would reckon 4300k would be the best. This is white light with a tinge of white light. This provides the best visibility range. AFAIK, Philips stopped production of 4300k. In case you manage to find it, you are lucky. Also, most of the Philips HID's nowadays are from China. Not to be confused with local chinese products. This is genuine and you can track the product from it's serial no. (I have posted this information couple of months back on how to track if it's a genuine Philips product.). Lucky again if you manage to source german made.

Other products include Osram, P8, Auto Gauge (this is what I use). Confirm the bulb configuration of the current projector (whether it's H7) before purchasing the product. HID's, proper wiring kit and ballast - that would be the complete kit.

Hope this will help. Anything else, let us know.
Quote:
P8 is pretty good although I initially thought it was crap. They advertise pretty well in most car magazines too. Think some bhpians have provided good feedback too. So one thing to do is to go for 4300k HID's.
Wait for the P8 users to respond.
Ok, I'm pleased to hear P8 is good [Sathya isn't known to recommend bad products anyway].

So one other query. Between 4300K and 6000K, is 6000K more white & hurting? How is 6000K performance in rains? Reason I ask is I don't want to have 4300K installed and then find it inadequate, waste money and upgrade to 6000K later. Unless I have very poor listening, I also think Sathya had mentioned that there are 2 versions of 4300K HIDs, one of 35W specification and other 55W [55W obviously being more brighter].

If Sathya offers trial of both bulbs, definitely I'll take a demo before deciding between 4300K and 6000K. But my query here is for those who already know well about the difference between the 2, to help me choose.

Thanks
aK
Old 30th October 2012, 18:31   #6500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So one other query. Between 4300K and 6000K, is 6000K more white & hurting? How is 6000K performance in rains? Reason I ask is I don't want to have 4300K installed and then find it inadequate, waste money and upgrade to 6000K later. Unless I have very poor listening, I also think Sathya had mentioned that there are 2 versions of 4300K HIDs, one of 35W specification and other 55W [55W obviously being more brighter].

If Sathya offers trial of both bulbs, definitely I'll take a demo before deciding between 4300K and 6000K. But my query here is for those who already know well about the difference between the 2, to help me choose.

Thanks
aK
6000k is more whitish. Cant say it will hurt but visibility is a tad less when compared to 4300k especially in the rain. Many say it's the same, but I feel 4300k will be better since white light isnt very effective in rains.

Well, here's one comparison between Auto Gauge 4300k and Philips 6000k. This is just for getting the feel of 6000k since this is not running on projectors. Only my car is running on projectors here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...cochin-19.html
Old 30th October 2012, 18:59   #6501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6000k is more whitish. Cant say it will hurt but visibility is a tad less when compared to 4300k especially in the rain. Many say it's the same, but I feel 4300k will be better since white light isnt very effective in rains.

Well, here's one comparison between Auto Gauge 4300k and Philips 6000k. This is just for getting the feel of 6000k since this is not running on projectors. Only my car is running on projectors here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...cochin-19.html

Thanks for that Naveen. 4300K on projector lamps is cool and like many posts on this and another thread says, very close to looking like a halogen's output. Now I'm certainly torn between 4300K and 6000K. The low beam on 6000K is really powerful with the regular reflector assembly, so does that mean it would be even more powerful on a projector lamp setup?

If driving in rain is only going to be ~ 7-10% of the car's life in a year, which one should I tilt towards?

I guess like for most other things, I must demo both sitting inside my car. Hope I can get one when I am down to buying.

Still await feedback from P8 HID kit owners. Also, is there a 5000K bulb option widely available?

Thanks
aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 30th October 2012 at 19:01. Reason: Adding a query.
Old 31st October 2012, 09:23   #6502
BHPian

Guys, reading the posts have made me thinking. I am novice in terms of lighting on the cars. As most of my driving at night is limited to city limits only rarely do night driving. I need your help.

I bought a Fortuner, and have come to know from various threads, that the stock Fog Lamps are crap and have read that 4300K HID is good alternative or is there anything better. As mentioned earlier, being a novice need help.

1. Changing it, would it void warranty.

2. Along with bulbs, what else is needed to buy, please suggest Brand, Cost and Sales outlet

3. Does it be fitted at the TOYOTA Service center only?

4. Any suggestion of place these can be fitted in Bangalore
Old 31st October 2012, 09:44   #6503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The low beam on 6000K is really powerful with the regular reflector assembly, so does that mean it would be even more powerful on a projector lamp setup?

Also, is there a 5000K bulb option widely available?

Thanks
aK
Cant say that it will be more powerful but it will be more focused. The HID's on stock reflectors provide irregular beam pattern and there will be a lot of scattering, meaning most of the usable light will be wasted. 4300k should be a tad better in rains. AFAIK 5000k HID's are not available here or maybe anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post

1. Changing it, would it void warranty.

2. Along with bulbs, what else is needed to buy, please suggest Brand, Cost and Sales outlet

3. Does it be fitted at the TOYOTA Service center only?

4. Any suggestion of place these can be fitted in Bangalore
1) As long as you dont cut the wiring, it will be safe.
2) If you sticking with the stock wattage, you dont need to change anything. In case you plan to go for higher rated bulbs, you will need proper wiring, ceramic holders and relays.
3) You can fit this at any accessories shop.
4) Check out Evo.

Dude, there's a limit to how much these fogs can improve visibility. Fogs are designed to provide better visibility at short range. Yes, 4300k HID's provide good visibility but using them on stock reflectors isnt recommended by all since a lot of light will be scattered. They are well suited with projectors. Since you have a SUV, why dont you try auxiliary lamps? Many wont like this idea but would suit the SUV and provide excellent visibility.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:21   #6504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cant say that it will be more powerful but it will be more focused. The HID's on stock reflectors provide irregular beam pattern and there will be a lot of scattering, meaning most of the usable light will be wasted. 4300k should be a tad better in rains. AFAIK 5000k HID's are not available here or maybe anywhere.
Right, understood. I still wonder though why Skoda didn't think it would be worth putting a HID kit into the top version of the 1.4 petrol Fabia, when they have already put in a projector lamp setup [specially when the HID cost would have been only <10K in 2009]. I'm happy though, that at least the projector lamp setup is there now for me to put it to better use

I'm going to go with the mindset of getting a 4300K HID kit and then see which one makes sense to go for, between 35W and 55W versions. Unless I fail to see a remarkable difference between the current aftermarket halogens and the 4300K HIDs, I'm going to try sticking to the 4300K luminosity rating on the HIDs.

I can't seem to find many reviews on the web for P8 HIDs as a brand, is it fairly new compared to Philips, Auto Gauge, etc?

ajay K
Old 31st October 2012, 11:25   #6505
Distinguished - BHPian

May be a noob question, but if if a projector says "uses H4 HID", does that mean we can also use H4 filament based bulbs too in the same?
Old 31st October 2012, 11:45   #6506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I can't seem to find many reviews on the web for P8 HIDs as a brand, is it fairly new compared to Philips, Auto Gauge, etc?

ajay K
Compared to Philips, Auto Gauge its pretty new. Hope you will get some feedback from P8 users. Check out if there is any difference between 35 and 55w and make your decision.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:04   #6507
BHPian

Had fitted Phillips HID 6000k in my Optra and had to change as the beam quality was really bad. During the rains it was impossible to see anything and so too when there was oncoming traffic. Guess it answers a lot of doubts here.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:53   #6508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
May be a noob question, but if if a projector says "uses H4 HID", does that mean we can also use H4 filament based bulbs too in the same?
No projector can utilise a H4 HID bulb as the working principles of both are entirely different. A H4 HID bulb is acting as dual beam by moving the capsule back and forth whereas in projectors dual beam is achieved by lifting the shield in front of the bulb and the capsule is not moving while beam switches.

Projector bulb has to be accurate per the mfr specs as it's fully depends on focus in relation with the lens and ellipsoidal reflector bowl. If someone somehow managed to make it in the projector base, the beam spread will be weird and useless.
Attached Images

Old 31st October 2012, 13:04   #6509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
No projector can utilise a H4 HID bulb as the working principles of both are entirely different. A H4 HID bulb is acting as dual beam by moving the capsule back and forth whereas in projectors dual beam is achieved by lifting the shield in front of the bulb and the capsule is not moving while beam switches.

Projector bulb has to be accurate per the mfr specs as it's fully depends on focus in relation with the lens and ellipsoidal reflector bowl. If someone somehow managed to make it in the projector base, the beam spread will be weird and useless.
Ok,
So lets say, if it says h7?
All I am asking is if a projector says "hX HID", and if i want, I can put a hX bulb in?
Old 31st October 2012, 13:39   #6510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I'm certainly torn between 4300K and 6000K. The low beam on 6000K is really powerful with the regular reflector assembly, so does that mean it would be even more powerful on a projector lamp setup?

If driving in rain is only going to be ~ 7-10% of the car's life in a year, which one should I tilt towards?

Thanks
aK
I would say, based on my limited experience with projectors and HIDs in the last few months, even 4300K is bad during rains. It is also bad when you are driving on wet black roads after it has stopped raining. The entire white light (4300K) seems to get absorbed by the road mysteriously. This effect is observed more in city conditions where we have the yellow halogen street lights present.

3000-4000K or lower would fare better in such environments.
Anything higher than 4300K is just for the "bling" factor.

One good thing about angel eyes (if you decide to go for them) is that other vehicle drivers give more respect and give way when they see those angel eyes.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks