Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 14:06   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Naveen: Yes, the plan is to choose between 35W and 55W of 4300K unit and have one of them installed. Though I don't see myself driving in rain a lot, from everyone's experience/knowledge posted here, I see its 'safer' to go for 4300K rather than 6000K and I intend to choose the safer route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Had fitted Phillips HID 6000k in my Optra and had to change as the beam quality was really bad. During the rains it was impossible to see anything and so too when there was oncoming traffic. Guess it answers a lot of doubts here.
Thank you, your post certainly answers one of my query/doubt about which luminosity rating to go for.. Also, would you say that Philips failed because of poor/not-very-high quality of components or was your problem because of a bad install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I would say, based on my limited experience with projectors and HIDs in the last few months, even 4300K is bad during rains. It is also bad when you are driving on wet black roads after it has stopped raining. The entire white light (4300K) seems to get absorbed by the road mysteriously. This effect is observed more in city conditions where we have the yellow halogen street lights present.

3000-4000K or lower would fare better in such environments.
Anything higher than 4300K is just for the "bling" factor.

One good thing about angel eyes (if you decide to go for them) is that other vehicle drivers give more respect and give way when they see those angel eyes.
Hi SUN,

Thanks for your post. I am not sure if something below 4300K is easily available but I will check for it [and have a demo if available], but otherwise I assume from your post that 4300K would be 'ok' to go with, rather than 6000K.

The projector lamp kit/casing in my Fabia does not have angel eyes factory fit [none of Skoda's car does]. I have only seen them in aftermarket units and on the BMWs [which are factory fit].

Is it possible to only have the Angel eyes/Corona rings retro-fitted to a projector lamp casing/kit? I'm not game for changing the projector lamp just for having Angel eyes/Corona rings. If a good quality product is available at a reasonable price, I am willing to have it installed. But not too fussy about it.

Thanks
ajay K
Old 31st October 2012, 14:23   #6512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Is it possible to only have the Angel eyes/Corona rings retro-fitted to a projector lamp casing/kit? I'm not game for changing the projector lamp just for having Angel eyes/Corona rings. If a good quality product is available at a reasonable price, I am willing to have it installed. But not too fussy about it.

Thanks
ajay K
Yes, it's possible but can be quite tricky at times. Depends on the projector setup. I would say it's best left untouched. Why take the risk working on OEM projectors?
Old 31st October 2012, 14:41   #6513
BHPian

Something happened for my first upload, it came out ok when I saw from the mobile but now its corrupted.

Normal Reflector Headlight
Name:  Headlight_reflector_optics_schematic.png
Views: 1275
Size:  53.9 KB

Projector Headlight
Name:  215866d1309719241prototypeheadightsheadlight_projector_schematic.png
Views: 1107
Size:  59.6 KB

Hope this time it come out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ok,
So lets say, if it says h7?
All I am asking is if a projector says "hX HID", and if i want, I can put a hX bulb in?
I guess you've got the answer from my first post about the projector beams spread and the correct bulb base. There's no guarantee about the outcome, if you are ready for a juggad.. there's very little chance of getting desired beam spread. One of my fellow member in another forum tried this on a H7 projector with another bulb base and there was no light spread to outside. All he could see was the lens was fully light up but no visible/usable spread to outside because of the focus issues.

Each bulb base have different mode of usage like H3 is mainly for fog/peripheral view and work lamps (Hella makes excellent driving lamps from H3 bulbs but with a proprietary reflector design Comet 450/550), H7& H1 are the mostly using H/L combo(quad), H4 is the most common for dual beams in a single capsule etc. So messing with the optic design with non standard light source will give undesired results like HID conversion kits on stock reflectors. No one is happy with the light spread and the distant visibility of the HID on stock reflectors unless they are not aware of the stray glares and the scattered beam spread. Take a wall projection from 10ft distance and observe legal cut off line, there's no such thing on that, it just glares every where.

The filament orientation and the seating position in the reflector bowl will be different from one another and hence the focus issue. Its possible on a conventional reflector with lot of scattered glares but with a projector its a different story due to its projection theory. If you alter the light source, surely it will affect the output. Its as simple as that.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:46   #6514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Someth---------------SNIP------------. If you alter the light source, surely it will affect the output. Its as simple as that.
Sirji, once more.
If the Projector says h7 HID ready, can I instead use h7 filament bulb?
Asking cos I have seen a lot of projectors with halogens.
Does this mean one cannot choose to have HID or Halogen?
Sad.
Latency is real bad for flashing with HIDs.

Last edited by mayankk : 31st October 2012 at 14:49.
Old 31st October 2012, 15:14   #6515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, once more.
Sad.
Halogens can be used in projectors. I had H9 halogens in my projectors when I got the set. Used it for a couple of days then moved to H9 HIDs. The halogens in the projectors were horrible. I guess there are specific halogens to be used in projectors. Normal halogens wont be sufficient.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:20   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, once more.
Sad.
Ofcourse you can use the same bulb base but the light output will be disappointing compared to HIDs and soon you will go back to its original state due to this. After market projectors will perform well with HIDs than halogens due to the quality issues.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:43   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Hi SUN,

The projector lamp kit/casing in my Fabia does not have angel eyes factory fit [none of Skoda's car does]. I have only seen them in aftermarket units and on the BMWs [which are factory fit].

Is it possible to only have the Angel eyes/Corona rings retro-fitted to a projector lamp casing/kit?
ajay K
Generally the shroud should be compatible with angel eye rings. So, the actual projector is covered by the shroud which in turn rests the angel eyes. I have seen some angel eyes on ebay, but cannot say if they will fit your projector + shroud setup.
The shroud which fits on 2.5" projector lens can have dual angel eyes. If the lens is bigger in your case, then the corresponding shroud may have to use a single angle eye or perhaps none.
Old 31st October 2012, 23:29   #6518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, it's possible but can be quite tricky at times. Depends on the projector setup. I would say it's best left untouched. Why take the risk working on OEM projectors?
Yes, I think so too and I'm not too keen on messing up with something that is essentially working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Generally the shroud should be compatible with angel eye rings. So, the actual projector is covered by the shroud which in turn rests the angel eyes. I have seen some angel eyes on ebay, but cannot say if they will fit your projector + shroud setup.
The shroud which fits on 2.5" projector lens can have dual angel eyes. If the lens is bigger in your case, then the corresponding shroud may have to use a single angle eye or perhaps none.

Thanks for the explanation, SUN. I don't think I'm going to take the trouble of hunting for one that suits the projector shroud in my car. Certainly not for now. But thanks, this serves as a reference.

aK
Old 1st November 2012, 00:49   #6519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Rallye 3000 cost rs. 3450 per piece and could bargain for around 5800-6000 for a pair , these come with 100w H1 bulbs .

Rallye 3003 cost 3750 per piece , got a pair inclusive of installation for 7k in hyderabad , these are spot lights comes with 55w H1.check my scorp pics

Rallye 4000 & 4000 compact is around 8k per piece , better to get these from US where it retails at 100-125$ , chk at rallylights.com.

BTW in which car do you want to mount these.
These were January 2012 prices.
Can anyone give current prices for 3000 and 3000 Compact & 4000 and 4000 Compact please.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:16   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_1980
Guys Reliance Auto store is offering Projector bi-xenin + angle eye with 1yr warranty at 15k rs ( inc fitting+ Blast+wiring) for my figo.......is it worth the price??
Any feedback fellas??
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:51   #6521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any feedback fellas??
What about the hid's ?

And deal looks good to me, but if you are adding projectors just fot upgrading stock lights, then perhaps you can try a cheaper alternative,

Get 90/100 bulbs with proper relay and ceramic holders.

If you want projectors just for bling factor, then make sure you get 4300k HID's in them.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:58   #6522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_1980 View Post
Any feedback fellas??
Is it coming with HID's? Then it's worth. If it's just projectors, you can better deal outside. Usually, the entire headlight assembly with projectors will cost somewhere between 12k-15k.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:01   #6523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_1980 View Post
Any feedback fellas??
I have seen one such in Reliance Autozone in KH Road, B'lore. It wasn't for a Figo, but the displayed kit was for a bigger car. Price quoted was also 15K but the product didn't seem to be of high quality [meaning I have seen better quality bi-xenon projector kits].
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:18   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

What about the hid's ?

And deal looks good to me, but if you are adding projectors just fot upgrading stock lights, then perhaps you can try a cheaper alternative,

If you want projectors just for bling factor, then make sure you get 4300k HID's in them.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks Sameer, My intention is for bling factor without compromising on safety. From other sources price is usually around 13k but with only 6 mnths of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001

What about the hid's ?

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Sameer
Thanks Sameer, This is for bling factor but with no intention to compromise on visibility. The setup included Hid of 6K only

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju

Is it coming with HID's? Then it's worth. If it's just projectors, you can better deal outside. Usually, the entire headlight assembly with projectors will cost somewhere between 12k-15k.
Yes Naveen, includes HID 6K lights, i didnt bother to get any more details as i didnt want to waste sales man time unless i was sure to consider at this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay

I have seen one such in Reliance Autozone in KH Road, B'lore. It wasn't for a Figo, but the displayed kit was for a bigger car. Price quoted was also 15K but the product didn't seem to be of high quality [meaning I have seen better quality bi-xenon projector kits].
Well Ajay, thanks for the feedback, it will help a little more of you can suggest "these" better bi-xenon pk's and possible way i can get them. Thanks

Note from Support: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd November 2012 at 00:34.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:31   #6525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Well Ajay, thanks for the feedback, it will help a little more of you can suggest "these" better bi-xenon pk's and possible way i can get them. Thanks
If you wait for about 3 weeks, I'll be putting up a DIY.
Maybe you can then use optimal parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks