Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 17:26   #7261
Distinguished - BHPian

Peep behind the headlight assembly to locate where the leveller motor wires are connected. Right next to it you will find a hole where you can put a screwdriver in and adjust the vertical aim. Adjust accordingly however you feel is adequate.

Sometimes headlights come with bad aiming from factory or sometimes when the headlamps are replaced. Hence try to raise the vertical aim and check results.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 18:26   #7262
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Do you know any places in Cochin selling these?
Check out Galaxy opposite Modern bread.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 22:24   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Sommos answered your doubts. Projectors are meant for headlights. You can indeed add projectors for fogs but it's a big investment. Also there's a limitation for fogs and they provide a short range. HID's are to be used with projectors. Using it in normal reflectors will scatter the light and blind oncoming traffic. Normal halogens bulbs are recommended for fogs. Nowadays, LED type fogs are available but dont think it's effective since these are merely for looks.
LED Fogs- Been there , Done that. Doesn't work. Looks worse off than an After Market DRL.
I have projectors on my headlights. What Fogs do you recommend?
Also, should I add in Auxillary lights too, a pair of 500's?
I dont use the highways much.
Old 28th May 2013, 22:38   #7264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Best possible illumination : Projector + HID for the near and Osram NB+ for the far.
Without messing with the electrical : Osram NB+ or Philips XV for both.
Thanks for the advice. Are these the bulbs that I should buy?
Low Beam: Osram NB+ HB4/9006 60W http://www.ebay.in/itm/OSRAM-NIGHT-B...#ht_585wt_1139
High Beam: Osram NB+ HB3/9005 60W http://www.ebay.in/itm/OSRAM-NIGHT-B...#ht_585wt_1139

Can I install these bulbs on my stock Civic without any modifications to the electrical system and without any relay?
I read somewhere that the Civic provides 51W of power for the bulbs. In that case would these 60W bulbs glow without any modifications?

Also, one headlight appears very faded/old as compared to the other one that appears brand new (the previous owner may have changed one headlight assembly). There are scuff marks inside the glass as well as outside on the old one and the light throw is blurred and dull. What should be done so that glass becomes like new? Don't want to buy a new headlight assembly from Honda for Rs. 16,000.

Last edited by Derezzed : 28th May 2013 at 22:45. Reason: electrical qns.
Old 29th May 2013, 00:48   #7265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Also, one headlight appears very faded/old as compared to the other one that appears brand new (the previous owner may have changed one headlight assembly). There are scuff marks inside the glass as well as outside on the old one and the light throw is blurred and dull. What should be done so that glass becomes like new? Don't want to buy a new headlight assembly from Honda for Rs. 16,000.
Well, on that point, I believe you should rather get a set of aftermarket projector Headlight assembly which would come close to Rs.15000-Rs.20000.
You get both a new pair of headlights and great headlamps. Also, the car looks a stunner then.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:45   #7266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I have projectors on my headlights. What Fogs do you recommend?
Also, should I add in Auxillary lights too, a pair of 500's?
I dont use the highways much.
There are many aftermarket fogs available in the market. Hella provide fogs but I think aux lights from them are common here. If you dont use highways much, you dont need to use aux. These are recommended for people using highways.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:07   #7267
Senior - BHPian

Here is the update from a dear friend driving VolksWagen Vento.
  • Stock lighting was fine during city drives
  • Highways was a scare to drive with visibility limiting to couple of meters and no visibility when an approaching vehicle is on high-beam
  • Upgraded to Osram Nightbreakers and observed a slight improvement but not enough for his Bangalore to Kerala drives.
  • Approached VW for help but in vein and they also cautioned on any after market fitment voiding the warranty.
  • Accepted the risk of Warranty void and upgraded to 100/90 with Philips Rally with Hella relays from Sachin's Koramangala
  • Highways are drivable now and worth every penny spent (but at the cost of warranty)
Old 29th May 2013, 11:11   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
Can I install these bulbs on my stock Civic without any modifications to the electrical system and without any relay?
I read somewhere that the Civic provides 51W of power for the bulbs. In that case would these 60W bulbs glow without any modifications?

Yes you can fix these bulbs in the stock socket without any relay etc.

You might need something like this : http://www.meguiars.co.in/category/227

Or visit some detailers like 3M for restoration of the headlight.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:12   #7269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
[*]Highways are drivable now and worth every penny spent (but at the cost of warranty)
Why worry about warranty mate? In case there is any trouble, it will take fifteen mins to roll back the setup to stock form. After this, no one can even have a clue that headlamps were upgraded. Tell your friend not to worry.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:12   #7270
BHPian

Quote:
  • Approached VW for help but in vein and they also cautioned on any after market fitment voiding the warranty.
  • Accepted the risk of Warranty void and upgraded to 100/90 with Philips Rally with Hella relays from Sachin's Koramangala
  • Highways are drivable now and worth every penny spent (but at the cost of warranty)
I have my reservation on what SA tells about warranty.

I have the same Philips hi rally 100/90 with separate wiring and ceramic holders all included. Wonder how will it affect the warranty, as claimed by VW
Old 29th May 2013, 11:25   #7271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As others mentioned, warranty will be safe if the stock wiring is intact. It should be as no one fiddles with stock wiring nowadays. Moreover, it's a plug n play unit. In case VW decides to play tough, just ask your friend to remove the entire kit and add the stock bulbs when going to the showroom/service station.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 13:03   #7272

Hi All,

This is my first full fledged post and I would like to specify in detail about upgrading my Tata Vista's lights.

On Saturday Morning I left for JC road, as my previous post suggests visited the shop "Add on the Car Accessory Super Store". But he was offering to fit a PMP wire harness for which I was not happy. As suggested by a BHPian decided to go with a branded kit like Hella or Roots, thanks naveen.raju for your help.

I fitted the following as part of the Lights upgrade:
1] Roots Wire harness with ceramic holders + Roots Relay – Rs 650/-
3] H7 - Philips Essentials Power Rally (80 Watts) - Rs 260/- per piece
4] H7 - Ring Auto (100 Watts): Code# R464 - Rs 320/- per piece A.K Traders confirmed that Philips does not come any more with H7 100 Watts bulb.
5] Fitting Charges - Rs 150/-

Bulbs bought from A.K Traders, wire harness and relay bought from Car Automobiles. These both are very close to each other in JC Road.

Total Cost spent was = Rs 1960/-

After fitting the new assembly and lights, visited Tata Concorde Motors at Audigodi and got the beams adjusted. The lights are fantastic, am extremely happy about it. Wires neither cut nor sliced to have fear of voiding warranty. The wire harness has main power chords which run directly from the battery terminal. By the way my car is a Tata Indica Vista VX an September 2012 model and it has a configuration of H7/H7. Confirmed with Concorde Motors that previous old Vista Models had H1/H7 configurations - I cross checked it looking at some vistas parked there

Hope this will be of some help to people in Bangalore planning for a JC Road visit for accessory upgrade

Step 1: Park your car in the BBMP parking lot, preferably close by to the exit. I did hear from some shop owners that sometimes if your car is parked all alone there are chances of robbery of parts, so BEWARE!!! If you don’t get a car park you will tend to be pushed and cornered and made to remove your car from car accessory shops that claim that parking space in front of their shop is theirs. Also the lanes inside JC road are very narrow and most are one-ways. It would be best to park your car in the BBMP Car Park (Mind you the Car park is on a One-Way, but its bang on the beginning of JC Road at the right side of the one-way road - Anyone roadside can help you with this information)

Step 2: After making a list of all the items you want to fit, visit JC Road get the best quote and buy the items. Negotiate well since the prices are not fixed and if negotiated will definitely get a good deal.

Step 3: Get in touch with a big Accessory shop e.g. J.J Enterprises where got my work done, its bang opposite to BBMP car parking, speak to the owner about the fitment and charges etc.

Step 4: Get your car out from the Parking lot and take it directly to the fitment shop for fitting the accessories.

Am new to the forum, will take a good look at the rules for uploading pictures and post some soon.
Scorpion_Vista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 14:56   #7273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
I have the same Philips hi rally 100/90 with separate wiring and ceramic holders all included. Wonder how will it affect the warranty, as claimed by VW
Yes, we all use seperate kit to keep stock wiring free from any tampering. I recollect my Mahindra service used to note After Market Lighting in the remarks of the inventory report. May be if they document it somewhere in your historic data and validated during warranty claims. Best way is to remove it while going for service during the warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
In case VW decides to play tough, just ask your friend to remove the entire kit and add the stock bulbs when going to the showroom/service station.
Yes Naveen, thats what we can do and good thing is the 15000KMs service interval which is equal to 1 year for him .
Old 29th May 2013, 20:20   #7274
BHPian

Team-bhp always helped, but in case of headlight upgrade i was bit confused with many information.

I thought of upgrading the bulb with higher watts and relay(100/90 or 130), but on this forum im hearing that this blackening the dome due to heat.

HID with projectors, some says its not very bright, and it costs north of 12k. if not brighter 12k will be of waste.

Thought of adding pair of Hella's, but it spoils the looks of the car (personnel)

Now planning to replace the OEM bulb with Osram NB or Philips extreme vision with stock spec. and if it doesnt work out will add projector setup on fog lamp housing, is this is a better idea?

Mine is a Figo and stock lamp is pathetic.
Old 29th May 2013, 22:24   #7275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

You might need something like this : http://www.meguiars.co.in/category/227

Or visit some detailers like 3M for restoration of the headlight.
I called up the nearest 3M Car Care dealer and he mentioned that they do polishing and buffing of the headlamp lens assembly. However they will use their restoration techniques only on the outside surface of the glass lens assembly.

It may sound impractical but to me the lens assembly looks as if it is faded and scuffed from the inside. My eyes may be deceiving me here. I see no reason why the inside of the glass should be scuffed but the doubt still lingers. Does the inside of the glass assembly ever get faded/scuffed?

Will the 3M guys manage to make the headlamps look like new?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks