Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 13:25   #7396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

The very idea of using the 100/90 bulbs is illegal, don't you see? And with most drivers not being able to tell if their low beams are on or their high beams, I don't see the logic behind using or justifying such blindingly powerful lights on roads.

When you say high beams are going to be a pain irrespective of the wattage, maybe you haven't stared into the 100/90 high/low beams enough.

You may be capable or mature behind the wheel. However it still doesn't justify doing something illegal.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 13:39   #7397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I would actually discourage people from 'blindly' going for 100/90s, and blinding the oncoming traffic. A couple of morons in my office neighbourhood have these bulbs fit into their bike headlamps, and since the bike's headlamp turns along with the handle, when they focus onto you, you go totally blind: I actually just stop and close my eyes and curse the hell out of the oncoming moron.

Please, for the sake of safety, stop using these types of bulbs. It's not only illegal, it actually hurts the other drivers.
Honeybee, I believe you did not understand the drift of the recommendation. 'Blindly' as in to go for those bulbs only if you want to upgrade. Also, I believe, it is not the problems with the bulb's if people drive on high beam on arterial roads. It is perhaps a matter of bad driving skills.
I would anyday prefer projectors as they are much better for city driving by projecting a uniform low beam.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:08   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
It is perhaps a matter of bad driving skills.
All the more reason to strictly follow the law, especially when there are available options within the legal wattage limits.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:11   #7399
Senior - BHPian

I do a lot of night driving and as mentioned in my earlier posts, the highways here dont have any lights whatsoever most of the places are just pitch dark.

Now if the highways were properly lit as per safety regulations deem it, then i would be the first person to go back to stock. But they are not and the extra throw i get out of the higher wattage bulbs does make a difference. My bulb upgrade history? Crystal vision-blue vision-diamond vision-nightbreaker-extreme vision-rally 130w-nightbreaker+-all season and finally on yellow stars now.

Ah well...to each his or her own.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:47   #7400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
when there are available options within the legal wattage limits.
Sir, following the law is something everyone must do, and I agree.

How our laws are being enforced is a long and a different topic which I would not want to start here. However, speaking about options in legal limits, I have tried Philips Xtreme power, Xtreme vision, Osram Nightbreaker and another osram bulb which was brought in from the US by my cousin. I am not sure where these will prove to be helpful, but for the kind of highways we frequently drive on, these were of no use in dark stretches where no other traffic was present. And when there was traffic, even a tempo was blinding enough for us to almost pull off the road, and also a lot of close calls when it came to spotting the road when an oncoming vehicle was near us.

After switching to 100/90, the problem is long gone. As said by Deathwalkr and others, higher wattage does not necessarily mean the oncoming driver is blinded. All of us have experienced such morons with ill-focussed lamps who create a huge problem to us. And I feel you are also speaking after experiencing such people. These people neednt be using lamps of high wattage. They Just turn up the focus a little higher and use high beam. Such a setup will be blinding even with a 35/35w bulb leave 60/55w. That is because the reflector is focussed in that way. Every fraction of the light is reflected to form a parallel beam of light, which is why we get blinded.

I have faced my own car running on 100/90s many a times when I pass it in various conditions, right from my parking lot to highways, in my other car. Trust me, it is not blinding when we use the low beam. It is just like any other cars lamp. With such a setup, the need for high beam has never arised, unless if we are in very deserted stretches, or another moron is using high beam. This just serves my purpose. I cant find another alternative that does the same. Hence one is forced to use a higher wattage bulb. I would first want the law cracking down on such lamps, and I myself am ready to pay up for the mistake. That is quite not damaging compared to running off the road when an oncoming vehicle approaches with blinding lamps/.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 12:52   #7401
BHPian

When 7 out of 10 in highways doesnt bother about oncoming vehicles, keeps the light in bright mode through out the journey, with higher wattage. What will the rest of the 3 do. 2, will change the set up to higher wattage. 1, will stop taking highways at night.

I stopped taking highways at night, but now the need for night drives do come occasionally. Yesterday came back from Pondichery at nite, with rain it was nightmarish to drive through. Wifey was to the core at certain incidents, asked me to add AUX lamp before next trip. Note: Mine is a Figo and I'am aready running on Osram NB+.

I'am looking for cheaper options like Neolite heard its good in the very same forum. i never liked AUX lamps sticking out of modern cars, the looks will get a hit. but now making up my mind that it will add WRC kinda looks to the car.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 1st July 2013 at 13:04.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 13:00   #7402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
I'am looking for cheaper options like Neolite heard its good in the very same forum. i never liked AUX lamps sticking out of modern cars, the looks will get a hit. but now making up my mind that it will add WRC kinda looks to the car.
Do drop a PM to BHPian "speed.demon". He is using Neolite.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 01:08   #7403
BHPian

I'm now thinking of upgrading to 90/100W. I have a query on the same. The headlight glass of Safari Dicor is not a pure glass but kinda acrylic or plastic material. ( I hope I'm right). Won't the use of a high wattage lamp for long duration high beam like whole night drives will burn that glass or deform it by heat.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:19   #7404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
I'm now thinking of upgrading to 90/100W. I have a query on the same. The headlight glass of Safari Dicor is not a pure glass but kinda acrylic or plastic material. ( I hope I'm right). Won't the use of a high wattage lamp for long duration high beam like whole night drives will burn that glass or deform it by heat.
None of the modern cars have a pure glass headlamp.
There is a possibility of damage to the glass and the reflector coating in case of continuous long duration use at night, but I hope there will be no effect in the short term. Plus if your car is in the warranty period, make sure this mod will not void the warranty.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:01   #7405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
I'm now thinking of upgrading to 90/100W. I have a query on the same. The headlight glass of Safari Dicor is not a pure glass but kinda acrylic or plastic material. ( I hope I'm right).
All lamp glasses are now synthetic material, like Acrylic or similar which I am not sure. Indeed all plastics show some or the other reaction to heat over a prolonged period of time. I had the same concern with my car too. However from day 1 of installation I am observing so that with the earliest warning I can switch back, however from more than two years, I see no change in the way my headlamp assembly looks both from front and the bulb mounting.

I read that the headlight lenses are mostly spoilt by UV radiated from the lamps. Philips states they use UV blocking quartz. Hence that may be the reason I am not facing problem. My car is an SX4. But I have seen other SX4s with yellowing or faded reflectors. However, it is not the same with mine. So, perhaps you can go in for a branded bulb like Philips or Osram or hella. In case you feel that there are indications of damage, you can quickly revert.

Not that I am against any TATA car, but I have seen majority of Indicas, Indigos and these days the Manza sibilings with faded lamps. Not sure if all owners swap bulbs or the quality is only like that. Almost 9/10 cars I see have dull headlamp lenses. With other cars, it is much rarer to find.
Old 4th July 2013, 10:41   #7406
Senior - BHPian

There is 20% discount on TRS.

So, Morimoto 6.0 projectors with shroud will cost about Rs. 8500 with shipping and insurance. Customs extra. Note: This does not include bulbs, ballasts etc.

— Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 INR 7,083.28 ($120.00)
Coupon JULY4TH:-INR 1,416.66 ($24.00)
Sub-Total:INR 5,666.62 ($96.00)
USPS Priority Mail International:INR 2,433.7 ($41.23)
Insurance:INR 141.67 ($2.40)
Signature:INR 147.57 ($2.50)
Total:INR 8,389.55 ($142.13)
Old 6th July 2013, 19:17   #7407
Senior - BHPian

A little off topic, but has anyone tried any LED flashlights? I have just been checking out videos of the Nitecore models on youtube, and the tiny handheld flashlights generate more than 2000 lumens. I was wondering if anyone has tried them, and where can one get them in India.

On another note, I have an Eveready flashlight (to be carried in hand) with four cells, it uses an LED bulb housed in a long reflector and has a decently bright and long throw. I was wondering if there's any brighter LED bulb which can go into this light. Has anyone tried something like this?
Old 8th July 2013, 01:15   #7408
Senior - BHPian

Okay I posted a couple of months earlier and have finally decided to make the jump. The Kizashi comes with projectors and an H7 setup. I am looking for an HID conversion kit. I know the kelvin range I ought to be looking for (4300-6000), I just want to know which is the best HID conversion kit available. Heard something about Sylvania, have seen a brand called P8 and I know Philips does not manufacture conversion kits anymore. How about Osram? Any other brands I ought to look for?
Also, how do I go about buying this kit? I live in Hyderabad and the aftermarket scene here isn't very healthy.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:32   #7409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Okay I posted a couple of months earlier and have finally decided to make the jump. The Kizashi comes with projectors and an H7 setup. I am looking for an HID conversion kit. I know the kelvin range I ought to be looking for (4300-6000), I just want to know which is the best HID conversion kit available. Heard something about Sylvania, have seen a brand called P8 and I know Philips does not manufacture conversion kits anymore. How about Osram? Any other brands I ought to look for?
Also, how do I go about buying this kit? I live in Hyderabad and the aftermarket scene here isn't very healthy.
Hi Ishan,

I've been using 4300k p8 hid's on my civics projectors for more than a year SBD they've not given me any issues and work fine. I got mine at Chennai, though since you're at hyd try the 1-2 big shops on minister road or carzz in jubilee hills.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:08   #7410
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me and identify the bulb type that I need for this projector and which car out came out from. I bought it used and since it has a electro mechanical hi lo setup I would like to use it for my Jeep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks