Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 11:19   #8896
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would suggest you to look at the Philips Rally 100/90 with the Philis wiring kit that just plugs into the OEM wiring and doesn't need any splicing of OEM wirings for you to loose warranty.

I am getting the same done on my Swift shortly.
I spoke to the person from whom I purchased the NB bulbs. He is saying that it is impossible to do the above set up without cutting the wires. The cut is required where the connection has to be given is what he says.

Also he says that in new Skoda Rapid car this plug and play set up is not possible.

Don't know what to do now!!
Old 27th March 2015, 11:22   #8897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was fed up with the stock headlight bulbs in my Rapid. So I replaced it with the Osram NB unlimited 55/60W by paying Rs. 1800.

The result isn't anything great. There is a mild improvement in terms of visibility that too only in the low beam!

Now what to do? Should I look into 100/90W with a wiring kit at the cost of voiding the electrical warranty on the car?

Pals please help!
I agree with a4anurag above. Philips Rally 100/90 is what I'm using too. Pair that with a good plug-n-play wiring kit and you're good to go. One word of caution though: be sure you have access to genuine Philips or else you'd be disappointed all over again.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:16   #8898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I spoke to the person from whom I purchased the NB bulbs. He is saying that it is impossible to do the above set up without cutting the wires.
Incorrect. You do not have to cut any of the stock harness for the upgrade. Refer the diagram below:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hella_harness.jpg
Source: Google Images

It is very simple. The new harness takes one input from the stock bulb connector leaving the other one free (so just tape it). Connect the positive terminal to the battery directly and the negative terminals to any of the screws directly threaded to the car’s body. Secure the relay somewhere in the body. Connect the new bulbs to these ceramic bulb holders. You are done.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th March 2015 at 12:19.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 12:26   #8899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Incorrect. You do not have to cut any of the stock harness for the upgrade. Refer the diagram below:

Attachment 1354185
Source: Google Images

It is very simple. The new harness takes one input from the stock bulb connector leaving the other one free (so just tape it). Connect the positive terminal to the battery directly and the negative terminals to any of the screws directly threaded to the car’s body. Secure the relay somewhere in the body. Connect the new bulbs to these ceramic bulb holders. You are done.
Thanks for the information. Just now I checked with Sachin's Autoshop person in Bangalore. He says that the plastic bulb holder need to be cut to insert the wires as a result there may be an issue with rain water entering inside the plastic holder. So this is not suggested.

Update - I just called TAFE Access (A.S.S) and got connected to a person who handles the electrical work. He also confirms the above. In the new Rapid, the plastic holders are replaced with the rubber holders. So there is a need to cut the holder to insert wires.

So the end result is that 100/90 upgrade is not suggested and may prove costly with voiding the warranty in case something goes wrong in future.

Last edited by rki2007 : 27th March 2015 at 12:44.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:48   #8900
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Just now I checked with Sachin's Autoshop person in Bangalore. He says that the plastic bulb holder need to be cut to insert the wires as a result there may be an issue with rain water entering inside the plastic holder. So this is not suggested.

Update - I just called TAFE Access (A.S.S) and got connected to a person who handles the electrical work. He also confirms the above. In the new Rapid, the plastic holders are replaced with the rubber holders. So there is a need to cut the holder to insert wires.

So the end result is that 100/90 upgrade is not suggested and may prove costly with voiding the warranty in case something goes wrong in future.
Not sure if you are contacting someone really competent. I suggest go around and ask more. Wherever there is chance of water entry apply clear clear silicone to shutoff any chances of moisture or water ingress. I doubt you need to cut you can replace it with ceramic holder harness

Last edited by Ushuaia : 27th March 2015 at 12:51.
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 13:47   #8901
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Just now I checked with Sachin's Autoshop person in Bangalore. He says that the plastic bulb holder need to be cut to insert the wires as a result there may be an issue with rain water entering inside the plastic holder.
Sorry I don't buy his argument. You don’t have to either but I’ll leave that to you.

If he is referring to the connection between the new harness' male H4 connector and the stock harness’ female H4 bulb connector, the two need to be simply plugged:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h4.jpg

And you need to apply automotive tape over it to secure the connection so it doesn't come off. The regular household insulation tape will work but it begins peeling off after exposure to heat in the engine bay and dust.

Quote:
In the new Rapid, the plastic holders are replaced with the rubber holders. So there is a need to cut the holder to insert wires.
I am not sure why the holders have to be cut! All H4 bulbs have a standard holder based on the layout of the 3 pins on the bulb. You don’t have to cut the holder.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:09   #8902
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Just now I checked with Sachin's Autoshop person in Bangalore. He says that the plastic bulb holder need to be cut to insert the wires as a result there may be an issue with rain water entering inside the plastic holder. So this is not suggested
What type of headlight wiring does your car have?
Is it the type 1) with one connector on the back for headlights/park/indicator which is then split inside the light assembly or is it type 2) with separate connectors for all bulbs?

Type 1 will come with plastic lid behind each bulb for access and Type 2 will have a rubber grommet behind headlgiht bulb with an opening for the headlight wire to plug in to the bulb.

If its Type 2 you can use a plug and play H4 headlight relay kit with no modification required to the headlight assembly or the wiring.

But if its the Type 1 with a single connector its a little bit complicated but possible and there is a chance of moisture entering the headlight if the cap is cut or modified to pass the wires.

i10 has a headlight similar to the type 1 which I mentiond above (so do many other cars) and heres how i did the headlight wiring to use higher wattage bulbs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...b-upgrade.html
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 00:32   #8903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the person from whom I purchased the NB bulbs. He is saying that it is impossible to do the above set up without cutting the wires. The cut is required where the connection has to be given is !!
It is not the holder that needs to be cut. It is the rear cover of the headlamp assembly. Previously it was rubber with direct H4 holder. Now it is little complicated where the wires connect to headlamp assembly through a single connector, and the holder will rest inside the assembly itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Type 1 will come with plastic lid behind each bulb for access and Type 2 will have a rubber grommet behind headlgiht bulb with an opening for the headlight wire to plug in to the bulb.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...b-upgrade.html
It comes with Type 1 setup as per your explanation and hence the swap isn't straightforward. They should follow the exact method like how you have done to the i10 to execute the plan.

I don't think this will create serious warranty issues unless the headlight itself becomes faulty. It is indeed a good thing they refused to upgrade since I have seen a lot of cases where they simply throw the lid away and wire the new holder as it is. After some days, the whole assembly gets moisture laden and dust filled. Hence, either follow the silicone sealant method or leave the setup as it is.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th March 2015 at 00:35.
Old 28th March 2015, 00:53   #8904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Get it done at Tafe/Vinayaka for warranty related stuff. Like many others are suggesting,its just a plastic cover at the back of the bulb that needs to be punctured to let the wires in. I've seen some installers puncture the plastic cap using a heated piece of metal the diameter of a needle or the likes,just enough to let the wires through.You can seal it up with silicone later on,just to be very sure.

I got it done in 2012,but the installer did a shoddy job leaving a near 2" gap on the plastic cover open resulting in dust,moisture seeping through and the right HL assembly is ruined because of that. Ensure they use good relays,don't leave the plastic cover open and you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 28th March 2015, 09:10   #8905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just change whichever ones you want to 90/100, or all four, if you want. H1 and h7, I believe, for high and low, respectively. Buy relays too.
Personally, I used 100 on high, but only for highways, and against cabbies.
Thank you , I'll try and get these installed. What is the total cost of the setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
If you are really concious about lights then go for 55w Philips xv for lows this wont require relay and put philips rally 100 for high only and put philips relay. What setup does fiesta run h1 h7 or all four h7. I've been running 100/90 with philips relay for 2.5 yrs on scorp and no issues at all.
Thank you for the reply, yes the Fiesta run H1 and H7. Could you please recommend any place in Pune where I can get this done?
Old 28th March 2015, 10:43   #8906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta1.6 View Post
Thank you , I'll try and get these installed. What is the total cost of the setup?

Thank you for the reply, yes the Fiesta run H1 and H7. Could you please recommend any place in Pune where I can get this done?
Try Poona Motors Camp. Most of my and friends jobs were done there. And they stock quality stuff. But beware of sales pitch. Stick to philips relay and philips rally.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:41   #8907
Distinguished - BHPian

Changed ecosport's bulb to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H4, 60/55w P43t. Was planning to go for Philips Xtreme Vision but settled for this. Paid 2k for the pair. Shall post some pictures in my ownership thread tomorrow.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:51   #8908
BHPian

Has anyone tried the new fangled LED bulbs. I seem to be getting mixed reviews on them, more negative than positive though
Old 29th March 2015, 00:53   #8909
BANNED

Got a headlamp upgrade done on my Swift ZDi today after a lot of thinking, searching and reading.

Details below:

Wiring harness kit: Hella (Sustainable upto 130W)
Bulbs: Philips Rally 100/90W H4 (P43t base).

Costs incurred:

Wiring kit: ₹1200
Bulbs: 180 each x 2 = ₹ 360
Labour: ₹50
Total: ₹1550.

I did use nylon cable ties too for the installation to keep the wires bundled to prevent them from moving around or getting damaged in the long run.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For further details and pictures, check the below link of my ownership review that has the needed information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3673686
Old 29th March 2015, 14:00   #8910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Costs incurred:

Wiring kit: ₹1200
Bulbs: 180 each x 2 = ₹ 360
Labour: ₹50
Total: ₹1550.

]
Looks pretty overpriced. The hella wiring kit costs somewhere around 800 and other brands are even cheaper at 500-600. Also, I noticed that this kit doesn't have the option to replace the relays in case it goes bust. Do check on that. If yes, then carry a spare set of bulbs and relay. I am planning to upgrade my WagonR headlights too so I have an option to choose between hella and my tried trusted roots. The roots comes with replaceable relays.

Most Viewed