Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:24   #9001
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When you flash it is the high beam that your using to flash in a H4 bulb that encloses both low and high beam.

1) Driving in the day time and need to flash headlight, just 'pull' the stalk towards you - only high beam is activated.

As per the technician where are both the beans getting activated ?
If am not wrong, while using Flash, both high and low beams lights up and that's why he would have told higher load as the power consumption will be high.

Quote:
JMaruru
Normally, it shouldn't have much of impact. Go ahead with the upgrade if not yet done. Someone who used flash often might have had issues in an Ambassador era.
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:46   #9002
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
If am not wrong, while using Flash, both high and low beams lights up and that's why he would have told higher load as the power consumption will be high.

Normally, it shouldn't have much of impact. Go ahead with the upgrade if not yet done. Someone who used flash often might have had issues in an Ambassador era.
OK so you mean to say is with the stalk at 'low beam' just pull the stalk towards you so that it activates the high beam too.

IMO that isn't the correct way hence suggested to keep changing from low to high beam.
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:22   #9003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

OK so you mean to say is with the stalk at 'low beam' just pull the stalk towards you so that it activates the high beam too.

IMO that isn't the correct way hence suggested to keep changing from low to high beam.
Wouldn't having both filaments on effectively mean 4 100w bulbs? A relay rated for 100w would collapse. If not strictly double, then at least more than 100w, by a good margin?
Or, looking back, the stock wiring should be able to withstand 100+w, owing to stock bulbs?
Old 2nd May 2015, 20:26   #9004
BHPian

Quote:
he says we are NOT suppose to flash/flicker, rather he suggests to do 'dim n dip' of the high beams with this setup.
Quote:

Quote:
1) Driving in the day time and need to flash headlight, just 'pull' the stalk towards you - only high beam is activated.
No, I said I believe both high+low are ON when using flash, but i am confused now.

I agree that normally at night, we use dim/dip rather than flash when in low beam. But I used to flash just for a second when in low beam approaching very dark areas while using Fiesta due to the noisy, complicated movement of the stalk like a double click for low or high especially when someone is sleeping in the car. No more an issue with Ertiga.
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:30   #9005
Senior - BHPian

I just had an irksome experience. Some days ago I had changed the stock headlamp bulbs of my Ecosport to Osram Nightbreaker Plus. However, while the low beam was satisfactory, the high beam was pretty scattered and not up to expectation. Based on another Bhpian's experience, I ordered for Philips Xtreme Vision+ 130 from the UK. Got them last evening and fixed them (DIY like earlier). Unfortunately the low beams did not function. I thought it could be an unlikely case of a pair of defective bulbs and put back the Osrams NBs and there again the low beams did not come on.
I'm guessing that the fuse (I suppose there are different fuses for the low and hi beams?) has blown. Else the dipper stalk may have malfunctioned (though I don't think that is the case).
Got to take it to Ford the morrow to check out and fix it.
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:11   #9006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
No, it doesn't. Only the high beam filament of the bulb lights up.
Old 3rd May 2015, 11:31   #9007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
No, it doesn't. Only the high beam filament of the bulb lights up.
It depends from car to car. If the low beam is on at night and you pull the indicator stalk to flash, both high and low beam will be on i.e. both filaments.

Quote:
When you flash it is the high beam that your using. The H4 bulb encloses both low and high beam.

In this case either low beam or high beam can be ON at one time.

There are two cases IMO :

2) Driving in night time and you are on low beam and need to flash headlight, just 'push' the stalk away from you - switched over from low beam to high beam.

As per the technician where are both the beans getting activated ?
Condition 3: Driving at night time with low beam. You pull the stalk towards you, not push away. Then both low and high beam will turn on.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd May 2015 at 11:35.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:09   #9008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It depends from car to car. If the low beam is on at night and you pull the indicator stalk to flash, both high and low beam will be on i.e. both filaments.
At least this isn't true for the Polo. I have checked it personally before I made the switch to bixenons. When the low beam is on, and the left stalk is pulled for flashing, the filament switches.

Come to think of it, when both the filaments are on, the bulb draws 55 + 60 W for one bulb, x2 for both. Wouldn't that be too high a power draw?
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:24   #9009
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

At least this isn't true for the Polo. I have checked it personally before I made the switch to bixenons. When the low beam is on, and the left stalk is pulled for flashing, the filament switches.

Come to think of it, when both the filaments are on, the bulb draws 55 + 60 W for one bulb, x2 for both. Wouldn't that be too high a power draw?
That's what the mechanic is trying to communicate I guess.

(90 + 100 W) x 2 would be the load on 100/90W setup so one must avoid flashing if the stalk is at low beam position.
Old 3rd May 2015, 17:27   #9010
Senior - BHPian

Fixed the headlamp issue. I just figured it out myself - it was a case of improper attaching of the wires/plugs.
Old 4th May 2015, 00:44   #9011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Condition 3: Driving at night time with low beam. You pull the stalk towards you, not push away. Then both low and high beam will turn on.
Isn't true for both my WagonR and SX4 and its sibilings either. At night when on low beam, if I flash, the beam switches and both filaments never get to glow at the same time. This is the same case even if we push the stalk or pull it to flash. Good design IMO.

However, this was not the case in our old Omni in which both filaments would light up when flashing. Guess its a cost cutting issue to make the headlamp stalk design simpler. Even the Tata Safari doesn't switch beams while flashing and both beams are on if the stalk is pulled towards us.
Old 6th May 2015, 15:02   #9012
Distinguished - BHPian

Ordered a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision 130 in H4 type off Power Bulbs dot com and had them delivered in 6 days flat from the UK. After discount the pair came to approx Rs.1850 with a pair of white pilot lamps from Osram thrown in as freebie. Not to mention the free shipping!

Very impressed by their service

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
How to identify if the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs are original or not,
I have seen the H4 Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs for Rs 625 a piece made in Poland at a local auto shop in Nasik.
Can some one help here.
Original Philips bulbs have a hologram on the packing.

625 for a SINGLE bulb sounds reasonable for the Xtreme vision

Last edited by Eddy : 6th May 2015 at 15:17. Reason: Merged
Old 9th May 2015, 22:10   #9013
Distinguished - BHPian

Philips X-treme vision plus 130 review

So today I installed the new bulbs that I received a few days back. Initial impression is good. Brightness is definitely more than xtreme vision. Beam length is bit more but nothing drastic. However the beam spread is much better than its predecessor in both high and low beam.

These bulbs are also a wee bit whiter than its predecessor
Old 10th May 2015, 16:18   #9014
BHPian

Dear fellas,

I was planning to change the H4 bulbs as well as parking lights on my Swift.
I have already procured Osram NB+ as well as LED parking bulbs. However, on inspecting the engine bay, I discovered that the replacement process is not as easy as expected or previously experienced in my Zen. There is not space enough to put in my hand and extract and replace the bulbs.

It seems that I need to unscrew the entire headlamp unit and then replace the bulbs. Removing the headlamp unit would further need to partially unscrew the bumper to access the headlamp unit mounting screws.

I am wondering why manufacturers even bother to provide spare headlamp bulbs with car when the entire process is so complex and cumbersome. Whats the point if you cannot do it easily in case of emergency or a fused bulb at night in the middle of nowhere.

TBhp'ians with similar experience at DIY may put in the pointers or guide in case I am missing something.

Regards
Old 10th May 2015, 18:13   #9015
BHPian

I can understand the situation you are in. This is a problem with the diesel swift only.
When I change the bulbs in my swift, I then experience so many different yoga and aerobics poses to change the left side bulb.
Try to remove the plastic dust protection lining above the left wheel to access the headlight.
I tried this and it worked.

Most Viewed