Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:20   #9031
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Own a Baleno. I guess most of the owners know the Achilles heel in this very competent sedan has to be the lighting provided.
I do a lot of highway runs, hence needed something robust and reliable.
Did a lot of research, upgrading the 55W halogens to 130/100W with a separate harness was something I quite thought about.
But bad experiences from friends who had done this in the past kept me away.
Was always a fan of projector headlamps and researched thoroughly on the subject.
Finally decided to take the plunge. Got a set of Spyder Headlamps and also a set of Hella fog lamps back from a trip to the US.
The mounting on the existing points was always going to be tricky. Tried a lot of body shops to get a feel of their expertise.
At last decided on a reputed body shop who had their own painting booth to do the job. It took almost a week to complete the modifications and also more than the headlamps themselves to finish the work.

But I can happily say that the end result is way better than before.
Also, the angel eyes add their fair bit of drama.
Had to get the focus adjusted, but apart from that, no complaints!

Future upgrades planned include a switch to 4K HIDS.
Enough talking for now, let the pics do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image_1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-image_2.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_4324.jpg  

sharkashwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:06   #9032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Hi Guys,

Needed your help with interior ambient lightning? Has anyone done it in their car? I'm looking at subtle lighting like the one shown in the image below:
Attachment 1360004

Was also researching further & found the ideal way I want it installed, but no help in the below thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...accord-v6.html

Regards,
Rohan
Quoting myself, , however the reason of doing that is that I did not get any reply on the same. I've seen a couple of people posting this query but no reply.

I've found a solution for the same & here is the final result:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-0.-welcome.jpg

Details are there in my ownership review thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3722905

Regards,
Rohan Sachar.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 15:42   #9033
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Any info about using LED bulbs in headlights? I am planning to buy these from AliExpress:

Name:  led_bulb.PNG
Views: 1687
Size:  390.0 KB

But before I take the plunge, thought I will check with fellow BHPians first - any first hand experience with them?

--Anoop
Old 4th June 2015, 15:49   #9034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Guys, Any info about using LED bulbs in headlights? I am planning to buy these from AliExpress:

Attachment 1378328

But before I take the plunge, thought I will check with fellow BHPians first - any first hand experience with them?

--Anoop
Anoop, don't expect longevity from these cheap LEDs sold on Ali. They will light up brightly and would continue to do so for a month or so and would give up gradually. Reliability is poor in general.

Perhaps the outer shell looks like a heatsink to me but whatever heat is dissipated goes inside the sealed headlight itself with no access to fresh air available, to take away the heat. Unless you are buying these for experimenting, don't bother.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 16:25   #9035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Anoop, don't expect longevity from these cheap LEDs sold on Ali. They will light up brightly and would continue to do so for a month or so and would give up gradually. Reliability is poor in general.

Perhaps the outer shell looks like a heatsink to me but whatever heat is dissipated goes inside the sealed headlight itself with no access to fresh air available, to take away the heat. Unless you are buying these for experimenting, don't bother.
Thank you for the points.

The headlight of my Duke is pathetic I am on the look out for a solution. Have tried Osram NB+ earlier (In my car and In my Unicorn) but this time, I want something better which can light up the roads .

I found these while I was searching for CREE Aux lights and thought these as a better option since I do not have to fix aux lights. I could not find any branded LED light bulbs like this, so may be I will stick with CREE Aux lights.

--Anoop
Old 4th June 2015, 16:30   #9036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Guys, Any info about using LED bulbs in headlights? I am planning to buy these from AliExpress...
Anoop, I'd suggest not to buy them if your intention is to obtain better light output and not an experiment.
1. Your Punto's & Duke's headlights' reflectors are designed to scatter light from incandescent bulbs' filaments, which radiate light in all directions, while LEDs are directional, their light output is concentrated in a limited angle. Having multiple strings won't effectively mimic the filament
2. High chance that these LEDs would conk off. Yet to come across anybody who's used them extensively and has a positive feedback. The make of the LEDs is a suspect
3. With LEDs, heat dissipation is the biggest concern that cannot ever be overlooked. There is no way all the heat generated by these many LEDs can be taken out of the HL dome, looking at the structure. Unless of course they have some special, hi-tech, thermally superconducting thingamajig there

Will send you an interesting link through WhatsApp

Last edited by silversteed : 4th June 2015 at 16:35.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 18:34   #9037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Anoop, I'd suggest not to buy them if your intention is to obtain better light output and not an experiment.

Will send you an interesting link through WhatsApp
Ok, you have totally convinced to drop the idea. Will wait for the link

--Anoop
Old 5th June 2015, 19:05   #9038

This question is pertaining to the usage of HID (in the normal OEM casing) in my Vento. I had recently changed them from the stock lamps to HIDs and the one thing which annoys me is the flashing of the light (Passing). As it takes time to heat up and glow, I can't use the high-beam to pass. Since I do drive a bit on roads where I frequently might want to use it, I keep switching to high beam pretty frequently to keep them primed and hot so that I could flip them when I want to flash.

Is it supposed to be like this or am I missing something here? It would be great if my fellow BHPians could shed some "light" on this.

Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 19:50   #9039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute_force View Post
This q---snip--------.

Thanks
That is the limitation, unfortunately, and whoever suggested you this solution would have told you.
Apart from this, hid in bulb reflectors are pretty annoying, to put it politely.

Ditch the hid, get higher wattage bulbs, if necessary.
Old 5th June 2015, 22:43   #9040
BHPian

Update on my post from a few days back,

Could not get Philips Extreme Vision bulbs at all - so settled for Philips Rally 130/100W H4 for the time being. Not sure why the Extreme Visions are not available anymore but the dealer says it's been out of stock for months.

The Philips Rally 130/100W bulbs are actually not too bad costing much less than the Extreme Vision bulbs. Paid Rs 650/- for the pair including fitting. Have only been doing some city driving so can't tell much about the comparison right now. In the garage however, the Rally 130/100 bulbs appears whiter than the Extreme Visions. Initial impression is that they are almost the same in terms of lighting and brightness.

Will post updates. Cheers!
Old 5th June 2015, 23:24   #9041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute_force View Post
This question is pertaining to the usage of HID (in the normal OEM casing) in my Vento
Retrofitted HIDs take up to 15 seconds from a cold start to reach full brightness. Using HIDs in reflector HLs won't give you the results that you can achieve with projectors. Moreover, HIDs in reflectors cause a huge hardship for oncoming vehicles' drivers by way of glare.

There are quick starting HIDs but they cost a bomb. You might want to invest in a set of projectors to do justice to the HIDs you have.
Old 6th June 2015, 08:11   #9042
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Retrofitted HIDs take up to 15 seconds from a cold start to reach full brightness.
A bit longer but this is not unexpected. The discharge is in UV and then the phosphor in the LED converts it to the visible wavelength. These things take time to get going. The colour of lighting depends on the mixture/material. Just think, a CFL takes quite some time to get to full intensity. This is even slower with the warmer colours.
Old 6th June 2015, 12:46   #9043

Yes, that makes sense. In fact prior to getting this done, I did know that but didn't think it would be so late. My bad.

But is there any work around for this? Maybe I could use a halogen for the high beam and leave the HIDs for the low beam?

And thank you for taking time to explain.
Old 6th June 2015, 14:53   #9044
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

C@Brute_force; That is what the law says, High beam on Halogen, and Low can be HID.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:04   #9045
BANNED

I have a minor query here have LED'S.

I have bought 4 LED indicators for my bike so just for the heck tried fixing it in the Swift.

Post the fix, when I switch ON the indicator of any side (left or right) it blinks fast just like if one bulb would have fused.

But, when I switch on the hazard lights the blinking rate is normal.

What's my way forward to correct the blinking rate? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th June 2015 at 12:07.

Most Viewed