Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 19:05   #8986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Sagar if you want xv +130 go for amazon.com. I got one for me, due in few days.

I ordered a pair from power bulbs uk. They are running an 20% off on Philips products. Cost me approx 1800 a pair with free shipping.
Old 28th April 2015, 19:49   #8987
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I ordered a pair from power bulbs uk. They are running an 20% off on Philips products. Cost me approx 1800 a pair with free shipping.
I've also ordered a pair from Power Bulbs last week and they cost me approx Rs.2278/-.
Philips X-treme Vision +130% H4 (Twin Pack) 1 £24.45 each £24.45 OSRAM W5W Sidelight Bulbs (Twin) 1 FREE GIFT £0.00 Sub Total £24.45 Delivery £0.00 Total £24.45
Old 28th April 2015, 20:58   #8988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I've also ordered a pair from Power Bulbs last week and they cost me approx Rs.2278/-.
Philips X-treme Vision +130% H4 (Twin Pack) 1 £24.45 each £24.45 OSRAM W5W Sidelight Bulbs (Twin) 1 FREE GIFT £0.00 Sub Total £24.45 Delivery £0.00 Total £24.45

That's because they were not running any offers back then . Now with the offer one can save approximately 400 ₹
Old 1st May 2015, 12:50   #8989
BHPian

Re: swift VDi upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Has been good so far ... no issues with the setup. A boon for night driving.
Would recommend either 90/100 or 100/130 any day.
I have got one electrician to upgrade my stock bulbs on swift VDi to osram 100/90 with bosch relay kit. But am worried now, coz he says we are NOT suppose to flash/flicker, rather he suggests to do 'dim n dip' of the high beams with this setup. He said something about the low-beam n high-beam lamp gas getting affected due to flash/flicker.

Is this true or is it overblown? We would require the flash/flicker function to signal the oncoming vehicles on narrow roads.
Old 1st May 2015, 15:58   #8990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I have got one electrician to upgrade my stock bulbs on swift VDi to osram 100/90 with bosch relay kit. But am worried now, coz he says we are NOT suppose to flash/flicker, rather he suggests to do 'dim n dip' of the high beams with this setup. He said something about the low-beam n high-beam lamp gas getting affected due to flash/flicker.

Is this true or is it overblown? We would require the flash/flicker function to signal the oncoming vehicles on narrow roads.
Overblown IMO.

I have been using the setup since a few weeks and do flash directly high beams.

No issues to date. Just remember one thing is to NOT keep it ON for longer periods during idling or when car is halted.

The heat generated by the bulbs will be high so the heat generated shall not get dissipated.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:49   #8991
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2015 at 12:02.
Adi22 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st May 2015, 19:43   #8992
BHPian

Flashing with 100/90 or 130/100 bulbs is same as the stock bulbs. No problems at all.
I have had several bulbs in my swift.
Philips blue vision 100/90
Philips rally 130/100
Current setup is halonix 100/90 gold. These are the best bulbs if someone is looking for visibility on the road all year long.
Old 1st May 2015, 19:47   #8993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well a headlamp designed to cater to certain heat limit would most definitely have some degenerative effect. Now that might take 100 flashes of half a second by a 100/90 setup or a 200 flashes of 2 seconds each. There have been cases reported of headlamps being blackened due to powerful setups.

So what I would suggest is to avoid it as long as you can. I've driven in night a lot of times and have always avoided using the high & low beam simultaneously. I did it by accident a few times in my very early days of getting a similar powerful setup but not anymore.

The trade-off is between losing a light bulb due to too much heat in the middle of the night (not sure if too much heat blows a bulb?), ruining the headlamp reflector or changing our habit of using the flasher too often.

In spite of extensive usage in my car, I've had no damage to reflectors but I've been careful to switch it off at red lights, not keeping headlights on when the car is still and avoiding simultaneous use of high/low beam.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 22:53   #8994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

First of all, I doubt you can keep both High and Low beams on at the same time in the Swift's headlamp. Please see for yourself. Whether you flash, or "dim-dip", these days, only one filament is active in H4 HLs. Both the filaments turn on in older gen cars.

I'm yet to hear any flash-obsessed cabbie complaining about blown bulbs. They drive to live, and clock more kms in a day than what many of us do in a week- so we can believe what they have to say.

And the last point- flashing puts more stress on the relays than bulbs
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 23:59   #8995
BHPian

If the low beam is on and you pull the light stalk there are two positions on it.
The first slight pull switches the high and low simultaneously.
Pulling the stalk further up will kill the low but will switch on just the high.
The same is true, in case of just flashing when the lights are off.
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:56   #8996
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have searched around 25-32 shops but none of them had stocks forcing me to upgrade from 60/55W to 100/90W setup.

The H4 variant seems to be the highest bought bulb for cars.
How to identify if the Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs are original or not,
I have seen the H4 Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs for Rs 625 a piece made in Poland at a local auto shop in Nasik.
Can some one help here.
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:22   #8997
BHPian

To all the lighting experts out there, am considering a headlamp upgrade for my Punto. Am trying to decide between going in for 100/90 bulbs or installing a set of projectors (Morimoto Mini/ FXR). Any suggestions/advise are welcome here. Any cons with going in with either of the setups?
Old 2nd May 2015, 14:48   #8998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
To all the lighting experts out there, am considering a headlamp upgrade for my Punto. Am trying to decide between going in for 100/90 bulbs or installing a set of projectors (Morimoto Mini/ FXR). Any suggestions/advise are welcome here. Any cons with going in with either of the setups?
I guess this has been clarified time and again. Advantages of an HID with projector setup:
- more lumens on the road (very bright)
- a properly done projector setup will reduce glare to oncoming vehicles (the underlined part is important)
- no need for relays or thicker wiring
- lower power consumption

the not-so-good points in case of a Punto:
- Expensive
- Takes time and effort to focus and seal a projector setup for maximum light without inconveniencing others
- You lose the ability to flash the high beam, as retrofitted HIDs take up to 15 seconds to reach their maximum brightness. The OE HID setups found in big names are prohibitively expensive.

Going with a 100/90 setup won't give you the kind of light that an HID setup gives, but the retrofit is a simple plug-and-play. You have to buy a good wiring kit complete with ceramic holders and install it properly.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:23   #8999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Overblown IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Flashing with 100/90 or 130/100 bulbs is same as the stock bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
First of all, I doubt you can keep both High and Low beams on at the same time in the Swift's headlamp. Please see for yourself. Whether you flash, or "dim-dip", these days, only one filament is active in H4 HLs. Both the filaments turn on in older gen cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
If the low beam is on and you pull the light stalk there are two positions on it.The first slight pull switches the high and low simultaneously. Pulling the stalk further up will kill the low but will switch on just the high.The same is true, in case of just flashing when the lights are off.
The electrician(he is with mandovi) stands his ground. He says, when we flash the gas in the lamp can NOT support both the filaments, hence lamp will suffer.

His recommended setup is of bosch relay kit and osram 100/90 lamp. I don't know, whether this issue is particularly with osram 100/90 lamp.

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 2nd May 2015, 19:08   #9000
BANNED

Quote:

The electrician (he is with mandovi) stands his ground. He says, when we flash the gas in the lamp can NOT support both the filaments, hence lamp will suffer.

His recommended setup is of bosch relay kit and osram 100/90 lamp. I don't know, whether this issue is particularly with osram 100/90 lamp.
When you flash it is the high beam that your using. The H4 bulb encloses both low and high beam.

In this case either low beam or high beam can be ON at one time.

There are two cases IMO :

1) Driving in the day time and need to flash headlight, just 'pull' the stalk towards you - only high beam is activated.

2) Driving in night time and you are on low beam and need to flash headlight, just 'push' the stalk away from you - switched over from low beam to high beam.

As per the technician where are both the beans getting activated ?

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd May 2015 at 19:24.

Most Viewed