Found something interesting:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/2-x-CREE-LED-...item3a831563d1

Has anyone tried this product?
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:23   #7427
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Even after upgrading the headlight bulbs to Philips Extreme Power, though the illumination has increased, the oncoming traffic still blinds me.
If you are getting blinded by the high-beams of on-coming vehicles, then it will not help even if you put 130W on your vehicle.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:54   #7428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you are getting blinded by the high-beams of on-coming vehicles, then it will not help even if you put 130W on your vehicle.
It would help if I could clearly see the next 100m of road in front of the car!
Old 22nd July 2013, 09:09   #7429
Distinguished - BHPian

But as things are, if the blinding is due to the high-beams of on-coming cars, then upgrading your lamps is not the solution. The effect (of being blinded) is happening in your eyes. The lighting (from your headlamps) is happening down the road. When you are blinded, how does it matter if you have 55W lamps or 100W ?

If you are still not convinced, try this:
switch on your headlamps (of course, after dark). Get a biker to switch on his headlamps, with highbeam on. You will stil be blinded, even though it is only 1 beam and possibly 35W.
The TWO lamps of your car still cannot mitigate the effect of the single lower power beam from the bike.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:12   #7430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It would help if I could clearly see the next 100m of road in front of the car!
When someone approaches me with high beam, all I do is show them my high beam. Then they will immediately switch to low beam and so do I. Helps a lot. Especially in rural areas with drivers who have no road sense, this will help. For those who dont do it, they are forced to pull off the road. That is because your high beams are so powerful. At least that way, they will learn what their mistake is. After upgrading, we never faced such problems. Firstly, low beam is more than sufficient and if such morons come across, a short flick of the high beam will force them to switch to low beam and hence problem solved. Think you need to get the alignment of lamps checked.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:20   #7431
BHPian

I own a 2012 Figo ZXi and it does not have fog lamps. I didnt think i would be needing them them since most of my driving is in the city and that too during day time. But now i feel like Kader Khan's character from Bol Radha Bol! Sun down + Rains make me wish i had gotten the damn fog lamps.
Any ways since the car is new i called the dealer. I asked him about this and he quoted Rs.4500(labor included).
The thing is during the delivery of the car i had asked him to fit reverse parking sensors for which he had charged me similar amount and all i got for that was the sensors that only make sound when i reverse (I had expected the sensors which would show up the distance in the rear view mirror). Its partially my fault too as i did not check in detail what i was going to be given. Water under the bridge.
Any ways i just wanted to know if it would be good to get the job done from some local shop as i am sure they will be charging less. And if so which fog lamps (Company and type) would be better. I just need the regular variety nothing fancy.
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:01   #7432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya View Post
Any ways i just wanted to know if it would be good to get the job done from some local shop as i am sure they will be charging less. And if so which fog lamps (Company and type) would be better. I just need the regular variety nothing fancy.
I suggest you to get the fog lamps with Ford A.S.S only. The quality of fogs is good, it does not throw light further ahead, but just lits up the sides of road bright. This is of course needed in city to find uneven median, on a highway you can see sides of road properly.
If you go for aftermarket product in local shop, you may loose electrical warranty for fitting Ford unauthorised product.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:08   #7433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same as what octane mentioned. Go with ford fogs as local fitment may not be satisfactory. If you are looking for better throw, upgrade your headlights or add Aux lights. Fogs will provide good spread over a short distance only.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:06   #7434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The TWO lamps of your car still cannot mitigate the effect of the single lower power beam from the bike.
There are two (rather three) common situations where I face this problem.

One: In the narrow bylanes near my office, the bikes flash their highbeams directly into my eyes. True, I won't be able to see even with a 1000w bulb in this case, but in this situation the car's more or less stationery - waiting for the bike to pass.

Two: High/misaligned beams from following vehicles. These are many times so bright the day/night mirror can't help. Plus there's a lot of glare from the two ORVMs to trouble you.

Three: Oncoming vehicles. These are for the most part in separate lanes, on the other side of the divider. But many times with a string of vehicles all on very bright high beams, it's impossible to see ahead.

Situation two and three is where, specially in the rains, I think a powerful light source illuminating the next 100m or so would be good.

@audioholic, I want to keep the option of further upgrading my headlights as the absolute last resort. First, the car is still under warranty, and second, I really don't think I should contribute to the problem in order to find a solution.

Last edited by honeybee : 22nd July 2013 at 23:08.
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:12   #7435
Distinguished - BHPian

@Honeybee, the situations you have mentioned are what everyone faces. I have tried 90/100 in my Sumo, and it did not work. All I can say to you is - go ahead and try, and you will find that the upgrade will not help in these situations.

But yes, there is one +ve:
Lighting will be better in dark roads, when there is no traffic coming in opp direction.

and there is one -ve:
After upgrades. you will join the large group of people who go about blinding on-coming vehicles. Does not matter whether it was intentional or not.
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:31   #7436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Point 1: I personally would stick to dealer, as long as he is selling you the Genuine Ford lamps and kit and not the same aftermarket stuff. Please look into the install and make sure it is based on connectors and harness. No loose wires or splicings.

Point 2: From what I can tell of my experience, when it rains, the road just absorbs any amount of light you throw onto it. Be it fog lamps, upgraded bulbs, HIDs or anything. The road is difficult to spot as it turns out to become a good absorber of light. With my lights in full fledged mode(100w main beams and 35w fogs), making out the road is difficult. However I would like to say that the overall illumination increases, which will help us spot obstacles easily without searching for them with wide open eyes. Thats the only relief possible with some kind of extra lights.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:50   #7437
BHPian

Quote:
Found something interesting:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/2-x-CREE-LED-...item3a831563d1

Has anyone tried this product?
I had the same idea, so went and bought 2 hi end LEDS bulb which are even better than the ones you have seen. Then I realized that there is no easy way to make use of them.
I have a LX model with built in fogs lamps. They are actually pretty good. The headlights are also quite good in a Nano. So where to use these bulbs? In case you are thinking of external light fittings, the Nano bumper design will make the installation difficult.
My suggestion is to change the angle of the headlights using the adjustment screws, any T.A.S.S. can do this for you. Whatever you do, don't screw up the 4 year warranty with any electrical modifications!
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:08   #7438
BHPian

I am thinking of fitting 90/100 watt bulbs with full relay and holder kit in my 2 n half year old figo. The current setup is poor during the rains.... i know that fitting these bulbs generate heat, have the same setup in my honda city... but i read that putting these high wattage bulbs can melt that small reflective plastic covering that is placed close to the bulb inside the lamp( not present in the honda city). Can this happen if my driving at night will be max an hour and half??
I am not worried about warranty.

Appreciate any help.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:14   #7439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I am thinking of fitting 90/100 watt bulbs with full relay and holder kit in my 2 n half year old figo. The current setup is poor during the rains.... i know that fitting these bulbs generate heat, have the same setup in my honda city... but i read that putting these high wattage bulbs can melt that small reflective plastic covering that is placed close to the bulb inside the lamp( not present in the honda city). Can this happen if my driving at night will be max an hour and half??
I am not worried about warranty.

Appreciate any help.
I am pretty sure, it won't be the case. Just go in for a good brand relay. I used this same setup in my accent for over 3 years and in santro for over 4 years. Nothing happened. You can surely go ahead.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:33   #7440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I am pretty sure, it won't be the case. Just go in for a good brand relay. I used this same setup in my accent for over 3 years and in santro for over 4 years. Nothing happened. You can surely go ahead.
Absolutely right!!!
If you use good relay and good bulbs , it wont be the case of Melting. I used 100/90 set up in my previous M800 for 7 Years , and in Dezire for last 3 Years . Even I did lot of trips to Kolhapur from Pune which is 250Kms drive completely on Highways. I did non stop driving on this stretch lot of times in night but nothing melted / Blackened.

Go ahead and do it.

Regards
Ricky_3007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed