Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2013, 12:20   #7306
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have 100/90W headlamps with a relay kit and ceramic holders. Can I put the stock 60/55W bulbs on these holders and the kit for a temporary basis if required? I am asking because when I asked this same question to the installer when I got them installed, he said no. He mentioned that I need to remove the relay and revert to the stock holders if I want to put the stock bulbs back. Can anybody clarify this?
Old 5th June 2013, 14:42   #7307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
I got myself Osram NB+ H4 for my Figo, The price quoted by the accessory shop guy was 2k. I told him about the price from autotrends, he said he will check with his distributor and get the money from me later.

As quoted by others, NB+ definetly gives some improvement over OEM bulbs, The reach is bit more longer and brighter than OEM, i can FEEL the difference for sure atleast in my Figo.

One cannot expect the whole lotsa difference, but can definetly feel the upgrade over OEM.

I'am planning to add HID on fogs in future, anybody tried this before?
The NB+ should be sufficient for city as well as highway use.
Using HID without projector setup is not advisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have 100/90W headlamps with a relay kit and ceramic holders. Can I put the stock 60/55W bulbs on these holders and the kit for a temporary basis if required? I am asking because when I asked this same question to the installer when I got them installed, he said no. He mentioned that I need to remove the relay and revert to the stock holders if I want to put the stock bulbs back. Can anybody clarify this?
No you can't. What the installer said is correct.

Last edited by Sommos : 5th June 2013 at 14:47.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 23:33   #7308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
What is the reason for that?
Old 6th June 2013, 00:00   #7309
BHPian

Quote:

There will not be any issues as long as you are on lower rated bulbs. The only Issue is your car will be carrying an extra harness with ceramic holders which is not neccesary for the stock rated bulb.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 07:35   #7310
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
There will not be any issues as long as you are on lower rated bulbs. The only Issue is your car will be carrying an extra harness with ceramic holders which is not neccesary for the stock rated bulb.
Carrying extra harness is hardly an issue because its such a negligible load on the car.

Lets analyse the basic components:

1. Thicker wire: I thought this is better for stock watt lamp as well because of less resistance = less voltage drop. Moreover cable is directly connected to battery positive terminal, again less voltage drop, so lamp output will be very close to rated output.

2. Fuse: extra protection, no harm. Extra fuse may not always be present in all relay kit, mine has two fuse, one for each bulb.

3. Ceramic holder: no effect.

4. Relay: is there anything in the relay circuit that will harm lower watt bulbs? The relay I am using is rated for 150w (post #7193). I don't see why drawing lesser current than rated will harm either lamp or relay. Would like to hear from experts and electrical engineers on the forum.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 10:54   #7311
BHPian

Guite is correct. With relay & better cables, even stock bulbs would benefit.
Old 6th June 2013, 15:56   #7312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it'll shorten the life of the bulb.
I maybe wrong, though.
Old 6th June 2013, 18:55   #7313
BHPian

Quote:
I maybe wrong, though.
Are you guessing that the bulb might draw higher than the rated current? I don't think that is possible. And apart from that, I don't see why the bulb should be harmed.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:17   #7314
BHPian

Quote:
I maybe wrong, though.
Statements has to be supported by facts or sound reasoning. Stating supposition is not good enough, especially when someone may take decision based on your statement.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:23   #7315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you guessing that the bulb might draw higher than the rated current? I don't think that is possible. And apart from that, I don't see why the bulb should be harmed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Statements has to be supported by facts or sound reasoning. Stating supposition is not good enough, especially when someone may take decision based on your statement.
I sincerely apologise for my comments.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:34   #7316
BHPian

Quote:
I sincerely apologise for my comments.
It is a public forum where we all post our opinions based on knowledge and judgement. It is alright for them to be wrong, hence the scope for discussions. Therefore, an apology is not required here.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:42   #7317
Senior - BHPian

Source: Carscoop.

Mercedes-Benz has launched their illuminated logo as a genuine accessory across the entire range. It'll be available only on models which have the centrally mounted three pointed star on the grille. Showcased here is a MY 2013 GL Class. Expect it to be a hit in India.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-mercedesmlilluminatedstar.jpg

Last edited by AyAn! : 8th June 2013 at 12:49.
Old 8th June 2013, 15:40   #7318
BHPian

I don't understand what's wrong with Merc. Its as if they stumbled on a large stash of leds and are desperately trying to squeeze as many as poosible onto their cars.. Most of the new models have multiple led strips and drls as it is. And now this.

I wish they'd go back to understated elegance than all these gaudy gimmicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Source: Carscoop.

Mercedes-Benz has launched their illuminated logo as a genuine accessory across the entire range. It'll be available only on models which have the centrally mounted three pointed star on the grille. Showcased here is a MY 2013 GL Class. Expect it to be a hit in India.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Il5-uuSXpDk
Old 8th June 2013, 15:48   #7319
Distinguished - BHPian

Theoreticaly or practically, using a lower rated bulb with the existing holders will not cause any problems. The main purpose of the extra harness and relay is to ensure that the bulbs get the right amount of voltage and current, without affecting other components which already exist in the car.

The existing headlamps are powered by the lighting circuit, which takes a long path in the cars wiring. From battery, to the main fuse, then to the headlamp stalk, back to individual fuses and finally to the lamps. This same circuit will also be powering the secondary lamps, from the instrument cluster, dashboard, parking lamps, pilot lamps, and so on. Instead, if we add a harness, the existing circuit will control the relay, while the relay will switch on and switch off the headlamps, through its own dedicated power line from the battery and its own set of fuses.

This will in no way be harmful to the car or bulb in case a lower wattage bulb is put. It cant draw more energy/shorten its life. Rather the bulb will get a better voltage(in case drop is very high in the internal circuit) and it can work at its best efficiency.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 17:19   #7320
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So the relay is just another switch, right? When we switch on the headlight circuit from the steering wheel stalk, the relay gets this current and uses it as a signal to complete the circuit between battery and headlight through new wiring harness. Clear as mud!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks