Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 18:59   #7381
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Certainly it will affect the oncoming traffic! If you get 130/110, use low beam as far as possible. IMO, go for 100/90w, its sufficient. Another good news, if you ever want to upgrade, the same kit and holders will suffice for 130/110w.
Its 130/100 and not 130/110. How much does a ceramic holder cost btw?
Old 25th June 2013, 22:49   #7382
BHPian

Guys

I have a safari Dicor GX. I need to upgrade the stock head lights as I find them inadequate during highway driving. I'm planning to upgrade to higher wattage. Need suggestions for same like brand, type, wattage. I also don't want cutting of wires as my vehicle is still under warranty. Also I want to know if the plastic clear glass can take the extra heat without any damage in long run.

Thanks

Last edited by sheelz : 25th June 2013 at 22:50.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:36   #7383
BHPian

You could try Osram Nightbreaker + or Philips Diamondvision both are good but most people on the forum would recommend Osram over Philips.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:05   #7384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
You could try Osram Nightbreaker + or Philips Diamondvision both are good but most people on the forum would recommend Osram over Philips.
Diamond vision is just pure white light that looks like HID and does not improve brightness or luminance. It is Philips Extreme Vision that improves brightness by about 50%, but the company claims 100% more brightness.

Osram Nightbreaker+ is also equivalant to Philips Extreme Vision, but NB+ has more yellow stinge than Extreme Vision and also lasts longer as said by other Forum users.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:57   #7385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Absolutely right , headers

I would like to add one more important point and re-order that list...

1. Good eye-sight
2. Clean and clear WINDSCREEN
3. Clean HL

I somehow do not subscribe to the view of going for higher wattage bulbs to be able to 'see' better...in this 'race', the situation gets worse for all road-users, with indiscriminate usage of blinding headlights.
You got my support here.
People wanting to use 100/90 or 130/110 watt bulbs should understand what it does to the oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Diamond vision is just pure white light that looks like HID and does not improve brightness or luminance. It is Philips Extreme Vision that improves brightness by about 50%, but the company claims 100% more brightness.

Osram Nightbreaker+ is also equivalant to Philips Extreme Vision, but NB+ has more yellow stinge than Extreme Vision and also lasts longer as said by other Forum users.
One more reason that I'm using NB+ is that the same is manufactured in Germany, while the Philips XV's are manufactured in China.
Sommos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 20:17   #7386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Presently I'm having NB+ but I find them inadequate on highways as every moron is driving with high beam and I have been trying to be good by sticking to 55 W lighting but I guess I will change to higher one. Suggestion required..
Old 26th June 2013, 20:24   #7387
BHPian

Has Anyone upgraded the headlamp on Honda Unicorn ?
If yes, then which brand and whats the cost ?

Also, any change in wiring required for the same ?
Thanks.

-Bhargav
Old 26th June 2013, 20:56   #7388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Presently I'm having NB+ but I find them inadequate on highways as every moron is driving with high beam and I have been trying to be good by sticking to 55 W lighting but I guess I will change to higher one. Suggestion required..
Am using Osram Nightbreaker+ H4 55/60W in my Scorpio since 2011. The light has a yellowish tinge to it, found it effective in both low and high beams in all kinds of weather. Just my personal experience with the lamps.
Old 27th June 2013, 10:29   #7389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys

I have a safari Dicor GX. I need to upgrade the stock head lights as I find them inadequate during highway driving. I'm planning to upgrade to higher wattage. Need suggestions for same like brand, type, wattage. I also don't want cutting of wires as my vehicle is still under warranty. Also I want to know if the plastic clear glass can take the extra heat without any damage in long run.

Thanks
Quote:
Try to fix the headlamp alignment and see if that helps.
Otherwise going for 100/90 Philips Rally would be easy on your pocket. But if you don't mind why not put aux. lamps that would be used only on the highways.

You don't need to blind everybody on the road. You can use the aux. lamps when you need them specially on your highway drives.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 19:26   #7390
BHPian

I had Hella Rally 100/90 Rally Bulbs on my car before along with a pair of comet's. The whole setup costed somewhere around 5K. The Hella bulbs were cheap at Rs.200 for one. I lost the Hella's in a head on accident and never got auxilliarie's again as I was really sad for the loss. But, Now that I have upgraded to projector's I really miss that setup.
I would recommend anyone to go in for Hella' 100/90's blindly!
Old 29th June 2013, 09:29   #7391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I would recommend anyone to go in for Hella' 100/90's blindly!
I would actually discourage people from 'blindly' going for 100/90s, and blinding the oncoming traffic. A couple of morons in my office neighbourhood have these bulbs fit into their bike headlamps, and since the bike's headlamp turns along with the handle, when they focus onto you, you go totally blind: I actually just stop and close my eyes and curse the hell out of the oncoming moron.

Please, for the sake of safety, stop using these types of bulbs. It's not only illegal, it actually hurts the other drivers.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:13   #7392
Senior - BHPian

@Honeybee: What is the harm in using them in the true spirit of decent night driving? Low beam when behind a vehicle or when a vehicle passes you by and switch over to high beam when these two conditions are void?

On a dark highway ill lit as they usually are in my side of the country, a powerful headlight could make a huge difference all things considered.

Headlights on high beam whether they are 50w, 60w, 100w, 130w are always going to be a pain no matter the wattage.

Had a bad experience with a xuv, he kept following me after alappuzha on the highway with his high beam on right behind me, would not overtake even after i gave him chances to pass struggled to keep my temper in check finally just got off the road...took a deep breath and went on with life...now he just had stock lights powerful as they may be but ultimately it is the person behind the wheel responsible...not the lights per se
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:30   #7393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Honeybee: What is the harm in using them in the true spirit of decent night driving? Low beam when behind a vehicle or when a vehicle passes you by and switch over to high beam when these two conditions are void?
You have a valid point there Honeybee, hence, not only those with higher wattage bulbs, but even stock bulbs should be considerate enough towards other motorists regarding their choice of beams. But IMO, for safe night driving, stock set up is inadequate at some situations esp. like rain, forcing the oncoming moron to lower his beam, etc.

Agree with you deathwalkr. If we keep ourselves considerate enough towards other motorists, I don't think there is any harm in using 100/90 at least. IMO, 130/110 is an overkill for sure, but 100/90 is good. Of course in the city, it should be the low beam ONLY in the business, apart from signalling etc, but on the highways with no oncoming traffic, little powerful hi beams can be a real boon. More so, I was highly disappointed with my stock 55/60w at night with a heavy downpour. The visibility was pathetic to say the least, & in fact I felt scary driving the car, all of course with the low beam. That prompted me to change to 100/90 & last sunday only I was returning after a 320+ kms trip and half of it was at pitch dark night. It started raining so heavily that the visibility was very poor. The road was such that there was no place to stop because of the high shoulder of the road against the ground...and stopping on the road could have been disastrous. Hence I decided to continue my drive, albeit at speeds as low as 30-35 kmph. There was a santro ahead of me, but due to poor visibility, the car went off the road and almost tumbled in front of me. I tried to help him but just could not find a safe place to stop. With a heavy heart, I drove on. I thanked my stars that I had upgraded to such bulbs else, it could have been me.

So, as they say, 'With great power, comes great responsibility' (shalessly lifted from Spiderman-I), I think if one has upgraded to higher wattage bulbs, then he/ she should be responsible enough to know when to use the high & low beams.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 29th June 2013 at 10:33.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 12:13   #7394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

On a dark highway ill lit as they usually are in my side of the country, a powerful headlight could make a huge difference all things considered.

Headlights on high beam whether they are 50w, 60w, 100w, 130w are always going to be a pain no matter the wattage.

Had a bad experience with a xuv, he kept following me after alappuzha on the highway with his high beam on right behind me, would not overtake even after i gave him chances to pass struggled to keep my temper in check finally just got off the road...took a deep breath and went on with life...now he just had stock lights powerful as they may be but ultimately it is the person behind the wheel responsible...not the lights per se
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I switched to Osram Nightbreaker Plus in my Ritz and i am completely satisfied with them.
@deathwalkr : As long as you are sensible enough not to blind the oncoming traffic, there is no harm in going for higher wattage bulbs. But how many times do you find the people to be sensible. I believe what Honeybee has said is a general advise and it is true.

For most drivers replacing the stock bulbs with NB+ or XV is sufficient.
But the increasing trend to go for 100/90W bulbs (according to me) is to teach the other motorists a lesson than your own requirement.

Hope you understand.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:12   #7395
Senior - BHPian

@sommos: of course i understand. my point was that wattage is not going to make a difference if the person sitting behind the wheel decides to make the other's driving a virtual hell, that's all.

if people upgrade their lights for the sole intention of getting revenge on high beam riders then of course the situation is going to spiral out of control. i would hate to be on the wrong side of a wrongly focused lightforce!
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed