Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 09:02   #7366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
How did the avenger come with a 60/55w setup from the factory? As per ARAI or any certifying authority, shouldn't two wheelers come with a max wattage of 35/35w? Just like how max wattage for cars is set at 60/55w.

I am planning a direct swap to 60/55w on my dio and check out if there are any harsh effects. Anyways my night usage is very less and I think the battery issues can be handled. About the switch I will design a harness in my holidays and bypass it using a relay. As for now, I think I shall go the direct way. Even if something conks out, like the switch or so, I dont think it will be so expensive to replace.
CMVR does not Say that 35/35 watt is the limit for two wheeler explicitly. It just says that 55/60w is the max road legal . But manufacturers of two wheeler do not provide this higher wattage purely as a cost cutting measure.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 10:37   #7367
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Yesterday I did 400Km trip and I got really frustrated with the throw of the headlights. Since my i20 is now out of warranty I guess I can upgrade to 100/90 or even 110/130. Can you guys recommend me some good reliable bulbs. Also isnt 110/130 going to be too much? Very rarely I do highway trips.

I think 100W/90 is more than sufficient, even for highways. I am using Philips Rally 100/90 which probably costed me Rs. 320/- for a pair about 2-3 years ago. What prompted me for the change was the fact that the stock 60/55W were highly inadequate in rains. In heavy rains, they failed to illuminate the roads to safe limits.
Last night, I came back from a nightmarish trip with very heavy rains. In fact I am planning to write a short travelogue of this trip of about 2 way-320 kms. While returning, it was dark night with heavy pour. Thankfully, the bulbs provided very fair illumination. In rains, I drive in low beam, unlike many morons (please pardon me, but I can't be more nice to them) were driving with hi-beams causing a lot of inconvenience in that heavy rain. So much that a Santro driving ahead of me, went off road & almost tumbled.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 12:45   #7368
Senior - BHPian

Went to check out the bulbs today. They showed me Philips Rally 100/130w. It costs 500 a pair. Is it good? I have heard of 110/130 but never 100/130. It is yellow light. If its good then I will get it done tomorrow.
Old 25th June 2013, 13:13   #7369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think 100W/90 is more than sufficient, even for highways.
Last night, I came back from a nightmarish trip with very heavy rains. ... In rains, I drive in low beam, unlike many morons (please pardon me, but I can't be more nice to them) were driving with hi-beams causing a lot of inconvenience in that heavy rain. So much that a Santro driving ahead of me, went off road & almost tumbled.

Regards,
Saket
"Moron" is a factually accurate adjective for such folks. What they don't realise about driving in heavy rains and fog is that with high beams, the light reflects/refracts off the water droplets, causing a "white-out" effect. Makes the light less effective, actually. Low beam, fog lamps, and a slower speed are the correct choice for driving in such conditions. It gives the correct lighting to see the road ahead and time to take appropriate action.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 14:08   #7370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think 100W/90 is more than sufficient, even for highways. I am using Philips Rally 100/90 which probably costed me Rs. 320/- for a pair about 2-3 years ago. What prompted me for the change was the fact that the stock 60/55W were highly inadequate in rains. In heavy rains, they failed to illuminate the roads to safe limits.
I too used to use 90/100 in those good old days [say twenty years back]. That was a time when there was no GQ, no 4 lane or 6 lane highways and tolls of today.

Nowadays, I use the stock setup in all my cars, but for one custom vehicle that I have.

I found the following helped me improve my night driving skills:

1. Clean and clear WINDSCREEN
2. Clean HL
3. Good HL stalk switch that does not make tak-tak noise while going through High-low-High beam.
4. Ability to see the correct side of the road while a vehicle is coming on with blinding lights.
5. Always dip and SLOW down when the opposite party is driving rashly or without regard to your signal [high low high]. The time saved in slowing down is well worth it.
6. Use a decent antiglare inside RVM
7. Have good tyres [it applies to day time driving too]

I have never found the need to upgrade the lights as nowadays, vehicle design and engineering has improved leaps and bounds.

8. Adjusting ones seating position and recline also helps improve visibility during night driving.

Cheers
headers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 15:32   #7371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I too used to use 90/100 in those good old days [say twenty years back]. That was a time when there was no GQ, no 4 lane or 6 lane highways and tolls of today.

Nowadays, I use the stock setup in all my cars, but for one custom vehicle that I have.

2. Clean HL
3. Good HL stalk switch that does not make tak-tak noise while going through High-low-High beam.
4. Ability to see the correct side of the road while a vehicle is coming on with blinding lights.
5. Always dip and SLOW down when the opposite party is driving rashly or without regard to your signal [high low high]. The time saved in slowing down is well worth it.
6. Use a decent antiglare inside RVM
7. Have good tyres [it applies to day time driving too]

I have never found the need to upgrade the lights as nowadays, vehicle design and engineering has improved leaps and bounds.

8. Adjusting ones seating position and recline also helps improve visibility during night driving.

Cheers
No I don't exactly agree with your points. In many cases the lamp simply isn't powerful enough in illumination. So although all the points you mentioned are worth following, they don't necessarily solve the low visibility problem. Especially in rainy conditions on highways that aren't properly maintained with lane markers, the stock headlamps certainly underperform in most cars. SUVs will have a better result due to their tall driver position and also higher placed lamps.

Even in moderate rain, the light of most stock lamps simply vanishes in a sort of black hole! And I'd say an upgrade is better when one feels light is inadequate. Its not worth gambling on this front.

Since a long while, I'm confused between Philips XtremeVision with stock rating and higher power 90/100 ish with wiring modifications if required.
Old 25th June 2013, 15:56   #7372
Senior - BHPian

Hello headers . Nowadays cars are advanced but some of them come with seriously lousy headlight bulbs. Ford figo and Hyundai i20 are some of the examples.

Guys please help me out with the Philips rally 100/130w. Is it good? Should I go for it ?
Old 25th June 2013, 16:19   #7373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys please help me out with the Philips rally 100/130w. Is it good? Should I go for it ?
Try osram night breakers..they are better than Phillips
Old 25th June 2013, 16:45   #7374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Pancham,

Even I have not heard about 100/130W. For adding up to the confusion, I would like to inform you that many fake Philips Rally bulbs are also sold in the market. So, if you are in doubt, why not go for conventional 110/130W? Also, make sure that you get the relay & wiring kit which would cost you around 800-900 bucks which would include ceramic holders to handle the extra heat generated by these powerful bulbs. Make sure that your headlamp assembly & reflectors can handle that extra heat, else they will blacken with time.

IMO, even 100/90W should be sufficient for normal usage, but its your choice ultimately. But please be considerate to fellow motorists, when using higher wattage bulbs.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:49   #7375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello headers . Nowadays cars are advanced but some of them come with seriously lousy headlight bulbs. Ford figo and Hyundai i20 are some of the examples.

It is not actually a problem of lousy bulb in the case of the Figo, it is more because of the reflector.
You do not need to go for the 100/130, the 90/100 should be more than sufficient for you and since you do not make frequent highway trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No I don't exactly agree with your points. In many cases the lamp simply isn't powerful enough in illumination. So although all the points you mentioned are worth following, they don't necessarily solve the low visibility problem. Especially in rainy conditions on highways that aren't properly maintained with lane markers, the stock headlamps certainly underperform in most cars. SUVs will have a better result due to their tall driver position and also higher placed lamps.

Even in moderate rain, the light of most stock lamps simply vanishes in a sort of black hole! And I'd say an upgrade is better when one feels light is inadequate. Its not worth gambling on this front.

Since a long while, I'm confused between Philips XtremeVision with stock rating and higher power 90/100 ish with wiring modifications if required.
Go with the Philips XV if you prefer it, but I would suggest NB+ instead.
I hope it would be sufficient for you even in your highway drives.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 18:21   #7376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Pancham,

Even I have not heard about 100/130W. For adding up to the confusion, I would like to inform you that many fake Philips Rally bulbs are also sold in the market. So, if you are in doubt, why not go for conventional 110/130W? Also, make sure that you get the relay & wiring kit which would cost you around 800-900 bucks which would include ceramic holders to handle the extra heat generated by these powerful bulbs. Make sure that your headlamp assembly & reflectors can handle that extra heat, else they will blacken with time.

IMO, even 100/90W should be sufficient for normal usage, but its your choice ultimately. But please be considerate to fellow motorists, when using higher wattage bulbs.

Regards,
Saket
I do not think its fake. The shop is very reputed. They said I will be getting an original philips relay kit. The guy did not look very knowledgeable (looked new to me), he was just okay. So when I asked him about the holder etc he said I wont need it. I dont know if the kit already contains a holder. The kit does cost 900-1000 bucks.

Can anyone post a pic of the holder or the kit?
Old 25th June 2013, 18:36   #7377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So when I asked him about the holder etc he said I wont need it. I dont know if the kit already contains a holder. The kit does cost 900-1000 bucks.

Can anyone post a pic of the holder or the kit?
The guy is certainly mistaken. You will need the holders as well. Since the OEM holders are made of plastic, they will be fried when using 130/110 and so will be the flimsy OEM wires.
Now the good news, the wiring kit comes with ceramic holders. I got a Roots kit for about 1k including labour for fitment. The kit also contains 2x 20amp fuses too for the headlamp. I am sorry for missing out to picture the kit while the tech was installing it, but in short, it has a relay, and a wiring kit which includes thick wires, a fuse box and ceramic holders for the bulbs and harness for connecting the relay to existing headlamp wires(in fact the current holders).
Old 25th June 2013, 18:42   #7378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The guy is certainly mistaken. You will need the holders as well. Since the OEM holders are made of plastic, they will be fried when using 130/110 and so will be the flimsy OEM wires.
Now the good news, the wiring kit comes with ceramic holders. I got a Roots kit for about 1k including labour for fitment. The kit also contains 2x 20amp fuses too for the headlamp. I am sorry for missing out to picture the kit while the tech was installing it, but in short, it has a relay, and a wiring kit which includes thick wires, a fuse box and ceramic holders for the bulbs and harness for connecting the relay to existing headlamp wires(in fact the current holders).
I wonder if the philips kit contains the ceramic holder. I dont know if I need 100/130w. I hope it wont affect the oncoming traffic.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:52   #7379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if the philips kit contains the ceramic holder. I dont know if I need 100/130w. I hope it wont affect the oncoming traffic.
Certainly it will affect the oncoming traffic! If you get 130/110, use low beam as far as possible. IMO, go for 100/90w, its sufficient. Another good news, if you ever want to upgrade, the same kit and holders will suffice for 130/110w.
Old 25th June 2013, 18:53   #7380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

2. Clean HL
Absolutely right , headers

I would like to add one more important point and re-order that list...

1. Good eye-sight
2. Clean and clear WINDSCREEN
3. Clean HL

I somehow do not subscribe to the view of going for higher wattage bulbs to be able to 'see' better...in this 'race', the situation gets worse for all road-users, with indiscriminate usage of blinding headlights.
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks