Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 11:16   #5926
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I just got H27 type HID bulb kit from ebay. But the problem is i dont know head or tail of installing it. Can the HID gurus here tell me on how should i go about fitting these .Which connection should go where?Here are the images of the kit .Hope i get enLIGHTened here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...llation-4.html
The sockets are proprietory, it won't get mismatched with other sockets. Flat socket is for the powering the ballast and the ends of the flat sockets will got to the stock bulb socket. Round sockets from the ballast will go to the HID capsule. Just try it without connecting to the power to get an idea.

If its a 35W HID, its just a P&P as the stock relay will be enough else, consider upgrading the wiring harness including the relay with higher rated ones.

Last edited by sajjt : 17th February 2012 at 11:22.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:05   #5927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
The sockets are proprietory, it won't get mismatched with other sockets. Flat socket is for the powering the ballast and the ends of the flat sockets will got to the stock bulb socket. Round sockets from the ballast will go to the HID capsule. Just try it without connecting to the power to get an idea.

If its a 35W HID, its just a P&P as the stock relay will be enough else, consider upgrading the wiring harness including the relay with higher rated ones.

Ok, so the two exposed metal leads from the flat socket should go into the bulb socket right?

Also the i20 stock fog lamp relay is 12 watts 20Ampere. Considering the initial high draw current from the Ballasts what is the relay capacity you suggest?
Old 17th February 2012, 12:26   #5928
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so the two exposed metal leads from the flat socket should go into the bulb socket right?

Also the i20 stock fog lamp relay is 12 watts 20Ampere. Considering the initial high draw current from the Ballasts what is the relay capacity you suggest?
Exactly, its for powering the ballast.

I guess you meant 12V/20A right? 20A relay will be enough for a 35W HID pair, initial surge will be max 6-9A for each capsule which again depends on the brand. Once its stabilized it will return to 3-3.5A max. Check for the power draw at the time stabilization time and think of a relay upgrade.
Old 17th February 2012, 13:20   #5929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Exactly, its for powering the ballast.

I guess you meant 12V/20A right? 20A relay will be enough for a 35W HID pair, initial surge will be max 6-9A for each capsule which again depends on the brand. Once its stabilized it will return to 3-3.5A max. Check for the power draw at the time stabilization time and think of a relay upgrade.
Ya the relay is 12V/20A .The HID kit is a 35W H27(880/881) type bulb socket.

One question , will the exposed leads that go into the stock fog lamp bulb socket fit snugly? Should i solder them ?

Went through few online forums and got to know that on startup the 35W ballast can draw upto 130W of power.So i am planning to get a 40A rated relay installed replacing the stock ones.

As such there is no info written about the startup current on the ballast
Old 17th February 2012, 14:23   #5930
BHPian

atlast after holding myself for long, i upgraded my Ikon lights to HID. i fitted the un-branded HID which i got for 4500/- with wires harnass, fittings and installation from my friend who runs a Auto accessories shop. I wasn't looking for the HIDs, as i had gone for my regular Oil change to him, but the deal tempted me, as he also offered me 1yrs warranty plus if any problem arises he will take care of it. Will try to post some photos of the headlight by today evening. Kit is H4 Hi/lo beam 35W, 6000K, he had only single piece remaining with him. The light on low beam is not blinding the oncoming traffic also, as i used it yesterday evening with low beam adjusted for better throw without harming anybody.
Old 17th February 2012, 16:31   #5931
Senior - BHPian

What are my options to upgrade the bulbs on my Linea without fiddling with the wiring/circuits? I am looking for improved lighting, not an upgrade just for the sake of doing it. Something that I can buy and fix myself is what I would prefer.
Old 17th February 2012, 16:44   #5932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What are my options to upgrade the bulbs on my Linea without fiddling with the wiring/circuits? I am looking for improved lighting, not an upgrade just for the sake of doing it. Something that I can buy and fix myself is what I would prefer.
sandeepmohan, I'm quoting my old post below for your query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Here's my simple answer :-

OSRAM night breaker plus available is almost all shops (in Bangalore on JC road) for Rs. 900/- to 1100/- per pair.

NOTE: I've tried Philips Diamond vision (white light), seen friend's car with philips extreme power(2nd option IMO) and now 3 of us have changed to the osrams. Very good lights I must say.
Its plug-and-play types just as the way you need it. Hope this helps
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 16:53   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope this helps
Sure did. Thank you.

Are the folks on JC Road knowledgeable enough to give me the right bulb for my car or would it better if I take down the model number from the Osram website?

The Osram website has a nice car selector option where it will list the suitable options for the car.

Or you could just tell me what the model number is, for the the bulb on your car.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:05   #5934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure did. Thank you.

Are the folks on JC Road knowledgeable enough to give me the right bulb for my car or would it better if I take down the model number from the Osram website?

The Osram website has a nice car selector option where it will list the suitable options for the car.

Or you could just tell me what the model number is, for the the bulb on your car.
They are knowledgeable by practice...most of them know the type of bulb for specific cars.

Anyways, below is the user-manual-capture for your info
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-untitled.jpg

Ask them for Osram night breaker plus H4 type 60W/55W and in 5 minutes your car can see a lot better

As a value add, here's how you have to change the bulb since you told that you would prefer DIY.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-untitled1.jpg
The rubber cap A shown above is visible behind the lamps if you open the bonnet.

To replace both the bulbs, I took 20 minutes for the first time and then I can now do it in 5 minutes.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th February 2012 at 17:08.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 17:20   #5935
BHPian

Quote:
Ya the relay is 12V/20A .The HID kit is a 35W H27(880/881) type bulb socket.

One question , will the exposed leads that go into the stock fog lamp bulb socket fit snugly? Should i solder them ?

Went through few online forums and got to know that on startup the 35W ballast can draw upto 130W of power.So i am planning to get a 40A rated relay installed replacing the stock ones.

As such there is no info written about the startup current on the ballast
Am not sure about that part, anyways it won't be an issue if you know how to do the other things

That's a very valid point, that's why I suggested you to check the initial draw from the battery to decide whether relay upgrade is required or not. 20A=240W and 130W=22A approx, in that case you need an upgrade, but these figures may be from the old gen kits, new gen kits are more energy efficient including the cheaper kits which would hardly takes less than 9A.

BTW, almost all reputed brand ballasts will have all the specs on the ballast.
Old 17th February 2012, 20:58   #5936
NKR
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Osram Night Breaker Plus as I use them and am very satisfied with their performance. The Philips extreme visions are also good as they too have good reviews (please see my earlier post)
Old 17th February 2012, 21:01   #5937
BHPian

[quote="hemanth.anand"]

Ask them for Osram night breaker plus H4 type 60W/55W and in 5 minutes your car can see a lot better

/QUOTE]Replace all 4 bulbs with h4 since linea has separate high and low beam? Sorry if this question sounds silly as I have no idea about aftermarket lighting upgrade .
Old 17th February 2012, 21:33   #5938
Senior - BHPian

Osram lists the following bulbs that are suitable for the Linea.

Osram Night Breaker
Low Beam Order No. 64210NBP - 12v 55W PX26D, ECE Category H7
High Beam Order No. 64150NBP - 12v 55W P14,5S, ECE Category H1
Old 18th February 2012, 19:31   #5939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are knowledgeable by practice..
I had a friend visit JC Road to get those under body lights fixed for his Fiat Grande Punto. I am not sure if he fixed it or not as it required drilling a hole on the driver floor for the wires to come into the car. I told him not to do it.

While he was there, I asked him to find out about the Osram Night Breaker's. One of them was priced spot on at Rs. 1100 and the other was Rs. 1700. Decided not to buy it. No point buying just one of them.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:10   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Osram lists the following bulbs that are suitable for the Linea.

Osram Night Breaker
Low Beam Order No. 64210NBP - 12v 55W PX26D, ECE Category H7
High Beam Order No. 64150NBP - 12v 55W P14,5S, ECE Category H1
Sandeep - what's your experience with these bulbs? Have you considered upgrading the setup using relay and higher power (i.e. 100/90w) bulbs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks